Uncharted 4

The Last of Us Music Video and Looking Ahead to 2014

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Dec 26, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The first half of 2013 started off with the big news of Uncharted 3 Multiplayer going Free-to-Play and the critically and commercially successful launch of The Last of Us. In the second half, we marked the two-year anniversary of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, dropped new The Last of Us DLC, and managed to nab the first of we hope many Studio of the Year awards.

We wanted to celebrate your support, our hard work, the holiday season, and the coming New Year. Please enjoy what we’ve decided to call a The Last of Us music video. It features Gustavo Santaolalla’s beautiful, spellbinding main theme from The Last of Us. If you haven’t beaten the game yet you might want to do that before checking this out.

Between the media and fan voting, The Last of Us has taken home over forty game of the year awards so far. As awards season has just really begun we’re honored and ecstatic to hear such high praise as Yahoo Games calling The Last of Us “a moment, an instant classic, and the most important video game released in 2013” and Amazon giving us the nod as best game of 2013. There are a lot more awards out there and we hope we can count on your votes to take home of the reader and fan voted awards. But, above all, thank you for your numerous hours playing our games as those hours are the best votes we can ever get.

If you haven’t heard yet our first ever single player DLC, The Last of Us: Left Behind, will be available to download in early 2014. The teaser trailer is out and we’ll have ton of news hitting in early January about it so keep your PS3 humming.

Finally, our holiday card is adorable. Go check it out. 2014 will also bring our full reveal of UNCHARTED for PS4. So get ready – and visit the PlayStation.Blog and Naughty Dog blog often – 2014 is going to be awesome.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

PAGE 1 2

+ Pabloo1010 on December 26th, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

Recently bought every Naughty Dog game of the last 4 years. I see the growth in every title. Unbelievable.

Happy Holidays Naughty Gods!

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

Happy holidays to you! Thank you for all the support.

+ ninth_prey on December 26th, 2013 at 7:43 am said:

Can not wait to get the single player dlc. Have been wait for it for a long time now. This is what I like to see and get instead of multi player dlc. I will happly throw my money at you for this one! Thanks for the extra support!

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:25 am said:

The Last of Us: Left Behind is coming along nicely! We’ll have more info on it in the New Year.

+ KazeEternal on December 26th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

Thank you for such a wonderful game. Between Uncharted and The Last of Us my PS3 has been a worth while ownership alone. I hope to see more both new and old titles from Naughty Dog over the course of PS4′s life time. ND has won me over.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

Yaaaay! Thanks for the support. We’ll continue to make the best game possible.

+ TimboJames on December 26th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

First off I would like to say gratz to all the success and happy holidays. Was wondering if us season pass owners would be getting the theme that’s included with the single player dlc preorder. Would love to have it but don’t see paying for the dlc a second time just to get that. Looking forward to seeing more from you guys……and gals

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

Yes, season pass holder should be getting the same theme. We’re working out the details on how to make that happen but it’ll likely be a direct message from the PSN team.

+ JohnnyVonRotten on December 26th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

I know this has been asked before… but to those of us who jumped onboard with PS4 – “switched teams”, if you will – and don’t actually own a PS3, will there be any hope to see TLoU and its DLC moved over to the new console?

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

We’re just getting our Naughty Dog engine up and running on PS4 as we work on the next UNCHARTED project. We will see what the future brings! :)

+ SureBigBuster on December 26th, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

This is a game i will remember my entire life.Happy Holidays Naughty Dog,you guys are hands down the best of the best!

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

Thank you…that’s high praise and very touching. Your support and kind words are very much appreciated.

+ S_T_O_N_E_ on December 26th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

Is there any detail on how long the dlc will be? This is what has been holding me back from buying the season pas and It’s probably too late now..
Oh well, Your game definitely deserves game of the year though.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

We will have details on The Last of Us: Left Behind coming in the New Year. The Season Pass is a great deal tho…a ton of content with 75% savings over buying all of it individually.

+ SureBigBuster on December 26th, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

@ JohnnyVonRotten most likely you will be able to play this game on your PS4 when the Gaikai backwards compatibility feature becomes available (expected some time during 2014)

+ Spine999 on December 26th, 2013 at 8:52 am said:

Thanks ND, can’t wait !!!!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 26th, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

I cant wait for UNCHARTED for PS4..that’s the game that will definitely push me to get the system..until then i will be enjoying UNCHARTED 3 online and all the other amazing PS3 games especially OPEN WORLD GAMEPLAY.
Thanks for all your hard work ND Devs..KEEP IT UP!! :)

+ JENNY101282 on December 26th, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

CANNOT wait for the reveal of UC4!! :D

+ Tchanku on December 26th, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

The last of us was amazing.

+ Lazard47 on December 26th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

I’ve enjoyed all of your games even if they create new monsters in my dreams when I’m sleeping.
I can’t wait for the new DLC for The Last Of Us single story, already reserved it and hoping for another glimpse of a giraffe.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

New monsters in your dreams?!?! That’s haunting and cool at the same time. Hope they are kind in your dreams!

Thank you for the anticipation and playing our game!

+ GalatasarayEken on December 26th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

please make Last of Us on sale next week please please please, I’m only able to spend $40 and I don’t want GTA V either.

please don’t tell me to go buy game at full price because it came out on June 14 and it’s passed 6 months, I know there’s going to be a discount somewhere down the road.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

You can find it on sale at certain retailers during the holiday season. Look for it.

+ GalatasarayEken on December 26th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

btw Uncharted 1-3 I bought full price,

you guys are awesome, keep up the great work & Happy Holidays everyone :)

+ D-Squad3 on December 26th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

Game of the Generation

check out my music video

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Such high praise! Thanks!

Cool video. Thanks for cutting it up!

+ JROD0823 on December 26th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys soon. Without Naughty Dog, Sony wouldn’t have nearly the impact on gaming that it does.

+ GABEv01 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

The Last of Us! Best Game of the PS3 generation! GOTY 2013! No need for sequels! Well… Maybe a PS4 edition… Hehe!

+ Egz-Onine on December 26th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

Festivus for The Last of Us! It’s a Festivus miracle!

+ CommandingTiger on December 26th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

Just finished The Last of Us. Great story telling, tough I would have liked to be able to choose the ending.

+ Heavenly_king on December 26th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Merry Christmas!!!

+ goldenknight01 on December 26th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

No, Thank YOU for supporting the fans!! Now continue the making of Uncharted for the PS4 and continue support for The Last of Us, and I recently bought and enjoying so far: Uncharted 3 GOTY Edition. Once again Thank you and here goes 2014!!!

+ maxcoronel2014 on December 26th, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Man…I REALLY wish a LoU port for PS4. I came from XBOX 360, so I never had the chance to play it on PS3.

+ CommandingTiger on December 26th, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

Here’s a few things I would have changed.
I think it needs it’s own engine, like Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry started off the Resident Evil engine, but then they changed both engine and made them unique to their play style.

Here’s what to change to improve it:

-A game like the Last of Us needs to be more open world in some parts, like InFamous or GTA or Jak and Daxter does.
-Have more customization choice. In this game, you’ve got even supplies everywhere, but blades are being used more often and sugar not as much, there are 3 combination for blades and only 1 for sugar and I found myself lacking of blades.
-More Blades / better even supply ratio. (Blades 3:1, Sugar 1:1, rest 2:1) From what you can make to the number of customization.
-Make Ellie learn how to swim.

+ CommandingTiger on December 26th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

-The skills Faster Crafting/Healing are completely useless. Find other skills, like breathing underwater for a better length of time and stronger melee attacks power (Not just based off the weapon itself).
I have never found myself in desperate need to heal or craft items in a rush since I’m always prepared in advance.

-Melee weapons should have much better durability, added to your stocks just like guns and you only keep the deadliest one or two and you can repair them free at workshops.

-Having a skill that allows you to carry 2 melee weapons, another skill for a dual-wield simultaneously
-Having a skill for holding your breath underwater for a longer period of time.

-Deadliness depends on weapon type And strength/power from skills.

-Already have the skill melee kill a clicker with a shiv from the start (if there’s a sequel)
I hate those things. Also have the ability to hack a clicker with axes.

-Have other types of creatures into the mix. The biggest ones are bloaters but there should be other types of enemies and various mutation forms. Also add infected animals.

+ CommandingTiger on December 26th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

Overall great game.

It’s very intense and it has a great story telling.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words! Glad to see you’re so passionate about it.

+ Crazysoulman on December 26th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

CNT WAIT FOR THE DLC FORTHIS GAME U ROCK! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! HAPPY NEW YEAR! GUYS!

+ MyTrinecK on December 26th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Well done ND! Happy new year and we are looking forworad to new Uncharted, good luck!

+ dkarlowicz10 on December 26th, 2013 at 7:07 pm said:

Are you guys working on anything for the vita?

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

We are not. Just UNCHARTED PS4 and TLOU DLC – The Last of Us: Left Behind.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2013 at 9:59 pm said:

Got the season pass since the beginning and will get every TLoU DLC…cant wait for Left Behind…more MP stuff is welcome too…Gas Masks?….yeah I’m hoping for it.

Anyway ND I would like to ask for something..Eric if you’re reading this please pass this ahead….is it possible for you guys to make Joel’s jacket (yep that one from university) available to play since the beginning in the unlocked skins?

Another thing is:Is it possible to include a cinema mode in TLoU MP?..like Uncharted 2…I mean there are so many amazing moments while we’re playing TLoU online…would be nice to be able to save these moments and watch them again and show them to friends.

Hope everyone sees this…I’ll just keep asking.

+ Eric Monacelli on December 29th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Thanks for getting the season pass!

We can’t change the unlocks as they are in the game for single player at this point. The cinema mode isn’t included as it’s a matter of resources and the space available. It won’t really work the MP tech we have set up for TLOU.

+ kmetek on December 26th, 2013 at 10:54 pm said:

make TLOU 2 :)

+ ChaoticAssault31 on December 27th, 2013 at 5:54 am said:

I love The Last of Us and its characters a lot and I hope that I will see a Playstation 4 port of it sometime. I also am hoping for a The Last of Us 2, people say it is not needed but that doesn’t mean it isn’t wanted. Ellies and Joels story could end there but there also could be a lot more stories to tell.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Naughty Dog, you guys are by far my favorite developers. Thank you for all of the awesome games you have created over the past years and please keep up the good work.

+ WolfieeRawr on December 27th, 2013 at 6:28 am said:

Such a good game, The story line was amazing!

+ Sonic-Boom on December 27th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

New Crash game and i will be Super grateful

+ XxbabNeet11xX on December 27th, 2013 at 5:56 pm said:

Uncharted 2 was amazing. The last of us had an amazing story line, cant wait for the sequel to last of us. Great job Naughty Dog.

+ DeluxeGamer31 on December 27th, 2013 at 7:16 pm said:

It seems to be that naughty dog has made one of
The most fascinating games I’ve ever known it
Has games like crash an old school game,
Which is the reason why like naughty dog because
They Create a non ad graphic game into a popular
Fun game,I can’t imagine more great than this.

+ Amnalehu on December 28th, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

Without a doubt, the best video game I have ever played in my 30+ years of gaming. Not only is the game play and story masterful and compelling, the music does an outstanding job of capturing the tone of the game. Gustavo did an amazing job with this score. I hope to see it on Music Unlimited. Well Done Naughty Dog! Like the green leaves in the last of us, keep growing…

+ CommandingTiger on December 28th, 2013 at 9:12 am said:

-When there are options to talk with Ellie, it should be a cut scene instead of just vocals.
It would show off more emotions from the characters and better development.
-There should be more cut scenes.

+ Kchow23 on December 28th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

Can’t wait for what you guys are working on for 2014 after an amazing 2013! Looking forward to the TLOU DLC and the new Uncharted for PS4 :)

+ CommandingTiger on December 28th, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

One thing I didn’t liked about The Last of Us was the trophies. They’re too hard to get.
I Don’t want to play the game twice to obtain all the trophies.
Also, they’re should be some incentives to collect the treasures, it seems you need to collect Everything instead of giving you a mid-way trophy.
Like give bronze trophy for 25% collected, silver for 60% and Gold for 100%.
Or Bronze for 50% and Silver for 100%. It just seems that after all this time searching every last corner of the game, you get to miss out ONE and you don’t get any reward.

Also, I don’t want trophy for a New Game +. Unless this has a huge alternate game story with a different path or different choices or different levels, I don’t want to play it again. Don’t just force me to replay the game when I know what happens.

+ panteradown2 on December 28th, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

Hands down best game all year. Hell, Hands down Naughty Dog best developer ever! Thanks for all the hard work and great games.

+ BlindMango on December 28th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Amazing video, makes me want to play it a fourth time! =P Cannot wait for the DLC to release soon!

+ welldweller on December 29th, 2013 at 1:27 am said:

I absolutely loved this game. I fell in love with the characters so hard and enjoyed the gameplay immensely.
(i’m more of a story gamer but this blended both so well)

I’m actually replaying it which is pretty rare for me on most games (only replays are batman arkham/city, bioshock and left 4 dead and now Last of us!)

I’m glad its getting the recognition it deserves!

+ Shiroyami on December 29th, 2013 at 1:45 am said:

Just wanted to say that I feel you guys got robbed at the VGX. Naughty Dog was Studio of the Year and TLOU was GAME OF THE YEAR (read: Game of the FOREVER). It totally justified my reason for buying my 60GB PS3, at a time when I didn’t even really play games developed by western developers. Fast forward to now and I can safely say Naughty Dog is my favourite developer currently. Thanks again for TLOU, can’t wait to dive into DLC + Mulitiplayer.

+ EagerSnake on December 29th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

Hello there Eric…
I’ve just finished the game this morning… man, what a piece of art. The characters, the story, the acting…
I have to admit it… I dropped a few tears right at the begining and my heart was completely out of my chest in some situations. I was eager to experience this kind of feelings, like I used to feel when I was younger with other videogames or movies. And I did it. Thank you so much guys.
Thank you for taking the time to develop this and the rest of your amazing games.
Even my girlfriend fell in love with your titles which is awesome.

Oh, and by the way, is it just me, or this video has existed for quite a few weeks?
If I don’t remember bad, when Gustavo Santaolalla were in Argentina during the presentation of the game, he played the main theme of the game, and he had a Bravia with the very same video…
You can see it in Yt.

Anyway, thanks again for everything to the whole team.
Looking forward to your next projects on PS4.
A proud Sony user.

+ CommandingTiger on December 29th, 2013 at 7:36 pm said:

Please Bring Content Manager to PS4 and PS Vita.

+ Welmosca on December 29th, 2013 at 10:45 pm said:

Hey Eric…thanks for the response..I really appreciate….oh thats sad for real…those things would be really good and a Cinema mode would be a great addition to the already amazing MP.But its ok if nothing can be done about it.Thanks again.

+ lone_wolf_7000 on December 29th, 2013 at 11:11 pm said:

The last of Us is a beautifully crafted game telling the story of two protagonists’ journey in post-apocalyptic USA. Between the layers is a quest for survival & human sacrifice where human emotions collide with relative morality of right & wrong & the greater good of mankind. Seamlessly & aggressively trying to blend the lines that separates what people perceive as the right thing to do or not according to any given situation. It can also summarize that we are after all humans & that some people can’t escape the past & the overwhelming guilt of bashing oneself for losing a beloved person makes us take drastic steps & maybe LIE to try to consult oneself, have new perspective on life & hoping to forget the past.

This is my own personal analysis & view of the game. You are more than welcome to critique this view & voice your opinion & maybe correct me if I misinterpret anything.

+ rhin0dog888 on December 30th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

Yeah! by far my Favorite game! when it comes to tugging on heart strings and atmosphere they knocked it out of the f’n park! seeing Sam and Henry in that video made me sad! like seeing a photo of an old loved one! Thank you Sony and Naughty Dog for the experience!

+ KUWALOINEDY on December 30th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

This is Special Thank for All Naughty Dog People and Family of Naughty Dog People , We love you all (happy new year)

PAGE 1 2