PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Age of Zombies Out Today on PS Vita

James Schultz's Avatar + Posted by James Schultz on Jan 14, 2014 // Community Coordinator, Halfbrick

Age of Zombies

Hey guys, James here from Halfbrick. I hope you’re feeling fresh and re-energized for the year ahead! Today, we’re pleased to announce the U.S. launch of Age of Zombies for PS Vita. We’re super excited about this, and I think you’ll agree that BlitWorks has done an incredible job taking Age of Zombies to a whole new level of awesomeness on PS Vita.

It’s been almost four years since Age of Zombies was first released as a PS Mini, but despite a wealth of improvements and updates, there’s always been one thing missing: physical twin stick controls. That all changed with the launch of PS Vita, and we’ve finally found the perfect device to capture the sheer joys of blasting zombies on the go.

Age of ZombiesAge of Zombies

So, what’s the game all about? Glad you asked! Age of Zombies was the first game to star wise-cracking hero Barry Steakfries, who many of you will know as the main character from Monster Dash and Jetpack Joyride. It’s a crazy, hilarious, and over-the-top adventure. And it features time travel, romance, and a whole lot more.

The evil Professor Brains has sent hordes of undead to the farthest reaches of time, and it’s up to you to save the day. You’ll be up against ninjas, mummies, cavemen, and massive bosses with a huge variety of weapons and explosives. You’ll also go face-to-face with possibly the coolest opponent ever: the Zombie T-Rex!

This is without a doubt the definitive version of Age of Zombies. When BlitWorks wanted to help us bring the game to PS Vita, it was a total no-brainer. With a pedigree of bringing titles like Spelunky and Jet Set Radio to players around the world, we were able to work hand-in-hand to finally give our players what they’ve been asking for.

Age of Zombies

Everything from the original is here, along with completely remastered graphics, the bonus Wild West chapter, and a host of Survival Challenges to test your skills. We’ve also raised the difficulty slightly, added a nifty little health bar, and incorporated global leaderboards for some extra competition. There are Trophies, too! It all comes together beautifully, and Age of Zombies runs at a silky smooth 60 FPS on PS Vita.

We can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Age of Zombies. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the game. Here’s to a stellar 2014!

42 Comments

+ XeahuleXolic on January 14th, 2014 at 8:04 am said:

lol I want this, it looks like a lot fun !!

+ Deadpill on January 14th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Should I buy this? I mean, I already got the Android version.

+ Gorvi on January 14th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

So tempting. Any chance we’ll see Zombie Dash make it’s way to the Vita?

+ redcar200 on January 14th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

Please dont have a grindy trophy that will take about 15hrs of our life to buy everything from the store.

+ Attababyitzaboy on January 14th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

OMG! All of these companies trying to develop the perfect controller for iPhone or Android phones since virtual buttons suck. Just put the damn game on Vita… problem solved. :)

+ xeno3d on January 14th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

@5 AGREE! Will get this on Vita for sure since I HATE playing games with virtual buttons.

+ BattleSkard on January 14th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

This looks cool. I would of bought this on the PS4

+ Welmosca on January 14th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

This looks like a lot of fun…I must get it….I turned into a fan of Jetpack Joyride after playing it,I really fell in love with it…what a fun game….btw I didn’t know Age of Zombies was a mini before but I knew that I had seen that name before….also I could swear that Jetpack was the 1st game to have Barry.Gotta check out Monster Dash too.

+ Darth_NODlike on January 14th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

Looks great! Can’t wait to play it!

+ xClayMeow on January 14th, 2014 at 8:57 am said:

Will there be a demo?

I’m tempted to buy it just to support you guys since I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Jetpack Joyride for free :D

+ liammill18 on January 14th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

Really enjoyed this as a PS Mini, will totally pick it up! You guys should bring Raskulls to Vita!

+ onslaughtree on January 14th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Bought this day 1 when it was 1st released and will pick it up again today. Loads of fun. It was also priced right last time so hope more gamer’s pick it up this time around, as always……Keep on Gaming.

+ ElektroDragon on January 14th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

Can not buy anything on my Vita anymore due to stupid 100 icon limit. And yes, I deleted everything non-essential. Sony, are you listening?!?!

+ viceforce on January 14th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

FYI the mini was free for plus members. So I’ll wait for the time the vita version gets put in the IGC. Fun game though.

+ spoptinator on January 14th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Loved this as a mini. Can’t wait to uh…HALFBRICKy my pants again!

+ Squiggle55 on January 14th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

I really enjoyed this mini that I got for free with ps+. Thanks for bringing it natively to Vita. And especially thanks for the new content, they all sounds like great additions.

+ Shimrra74 on January 14th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

So glad this is out for my vital, never could get into it on any mobile device because of the controls. Halfbrick please continue releasing on the Vita and I will keep throwing money to support you.

+ RagingMexicano87 on January 14th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Anybody know what the price is gonna be for this game?? I know Jet pack Joyride was free.. game looks awesome btw

+ BanzaiHeil on January 14th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

Really looking forward to this. With that said, I have to derail this comment to an unrelated question.

Jetpack Joyride is still among the best things I’ve ever played, and I’ve been gaming for almost 30 years now. But I t pains me to know that I’m currently playing the “inferior version” with all the additions the mobile versions have been getting. I could simply download it on my Android, but I love every little stat that I’ve earned on my Vita version, from cumulative play time to total times zapped, and would hate to start over on another platform.

So, is there ANY hope of us Vita players to get an update on Jetpack Joyride that will bring it up to speed with the mobile versions? Thanks, and keep up the great work either way!

+ maltliquor23 on January 14th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

@13 have you created folders. This would allow you to use less space on the dashboard?

+ Superstone on January 14th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

I love it. Now please bring Monster Dash to the Vita

+ RE_Player on January 14th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

Will buy this since I can enjoy it with proper controls. Bought the phone version but virtual sticks don’t cut it.

+ Ecks on January 14th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

I enjoyed this when I got it free as a Mini a few years back, so I’ll check it out.

+ L1qu1dat1on on January 14th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

It’s already on PSN, it’s $4.99.

+ Frejim on January 14th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

Twin sticks FTW!!!!

+ yazter on January 14th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Will it include a Platinum Trophy?

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 14th, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

@ maltliquor23: Have you actually tried using folders, then run over 100 total icons on the system? (not just on the home screens)
I keep seeing people recommend this, but then others who have tried say it doesn’t work. I’ve personally been able to stay around 80 icons so no problems for me, but you shouldn’t give out advice you haven’t verified yourself, especially when the person affected very likely (hopefully) is already using folders. Every time someone complains about the 100-icon limit, there’s at least one person who suggests they do this, and it never works. It’s a system level limit, not a home screen space limitation.

@ AoZ: I remember trying this a while back when we got the Mini for free on PS+. Did not care for it without twin sticks. I may just pick it up for the Vita now that it can be played properly. Good times. :)

+ shibbydibbybibby on January 14th, 2014 at 4:48 pm said:

sorry, cant support. 100 app limit… anyone else!

already posted to the share new idea for change/vote aspect of this blog, yea, they clearly take that seriously.

extend/eliminate the app limit now!

this game seems good but i’ll only allow full fledged titles on my vita. no room left for the new indies.

maybe if the developers of the games cared that the app limit is a deterrent/hinderance.

clearly the vita consumers needs are falling on deaf ears.

as it stands there’s no answer for the arbitrary 100 app limit.

showing the slightest need for change and you’ll be handed a “deal with it, i do” or “go buy another overpriced memory card” attitude.

youve got 1000+ psone/psp/psvita/mobile/apps available. but clearly 100 is the number you want to stunt the vita at!?!?

+ shibbydibbybibby on January 14th, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

and to whoever is passing along the myth of folders allowing over 100 apps, you’re wrong! dead wrong. you could be called out for flat out lying but i also figure you dont know what you’re talking about. soo i’ll leave it at, you just arent aware of what the situation really is.

having the folders has in NO way extended the 100 app limit.

ahh clarity…

+ shibbydibbybibby on January 14th, 2014 at 5:01 pm said:

edit: you could call “them” out, the other you/you’re/you to “they/they’re/they”

there. sorry for making others do all the work but i didnt like the way i wrote it before. an edit click option would be key

+ PanTheMan16 on January 14th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

You lost me at Jetpack Joyride.

+ komentra on January 14th, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

Played the a lot on my iPhone. Can’t way to play with Vita controls.

+ Benzitor on January 15th, 2014 at 2:30 am said:

@28
Same here…i get tired of this limit. I have a 32go, lots of little titles and big titles, and still have 3go free i cannot use because i have 100 apps.

It is ridiculous. It makes no sense. Especially since Sony released a 64go. I hate double cards idea, and i would buy the 64 or even a 128go in a heart beat if the limit was removed. I have been playing digital only since my PSPgo, and most of my games are compatible Vita… I would dream of a 128go full of all my Vita+Minis+PSM+PSN+PSP+PS1 titles…. without having to ever transfer them to PC or PS3

SONY, PLEAAASE, remove this stupid limitation

+ CrimsonCursed on January 15th, 2014 at 5:38 am said:

Love this game so much, Survival was the best. I remember when I got 3 Million points on the PSP version
I even repurchased it on PSP for my Vita.

Wish it had Co-op though
PUT CO-OP SURVIVAL PLEASE!

+ Coraje187 on January 15th, 2014 at 5:43 am said:

I got it again and liked the dual analog, the difficulty seems harder and that’s great. Then the extra level is a plus and the graphics are great on the vita. Agree CO-OP SURVIVAL would be great.

+ Amir_G_M_US on January 15th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

I really think it’s nice to have more games on Vita
but where are the good games?
aren’t you bored of bringing iPhone and Adnroid games? I’m fed up anyway…

I really want to play a brand new portable Kingdom Hearts (VITA)
maybe some Castlevania… Maybe a new Lego game (like Marvel)
how about a “BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS” for Vita?
or a game which has the same idea..with a nice story
Uncharted? it’s always great news
Crash Bandicoot Classics?

But I’m really bored of seeing all those mini games… Jetpack? Ufloria? Terreira?
Seriously?

+ pat67894 on January 15th, 2014 at 3:25 pm said:

If I have this on ps3 will it work on my vita?

+ tusunami on January 15th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

This game is a blast to play at some point I will check this out!!!!!!!

+ PhoenixDowny on January 15th, 2014 at 7:06 pm said:

This game looks really sweet and Trohpies makes the deal ever sweeter baby! Hopefully Monster Dash will also arrive with on PS Vita with new gimmicks and trophies.

Also, I do certainly agree with @Amir_G_M_US that we need Brothers A Tale of Two on the PS Vita. Not only that but American McGee’s Alice Madness Returns and Klei’s Don’t Starve also needs to be on the PS Vita.

+ Elvick_ on January 17th, 2014 at 12:21 am said:

Doesn’t seem to really allow for 360 degree shooting. Which bothers me.

Otherwise, I really enjoy the game… again.

+ Shadow_Enz on January 20th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

Does this have trophies like Jetpack Joyride does?

+ Shadow_Enz on January 20th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

^ Yup, it sure does. No platinum, however, but glad to see trophies implemented.