Paragon

Jan 27

Jan 27

Second Son’s Seattle: Bringing the Infamous City to Life

Horia Dociu's Avatar Posted by Art Director, Sucker Punch Productions

From the start, Seattle felt like the perfect locale for Second Son. Sucker Punch Productions is located just outside of Seattle, and we saw this as an opportunity to recreate the feeling of our home town. We wanted to capture a level of detail we had never attempted before using the amazing speed, graphics processing power, and high resolution output of PS4. Not to mention, being from here, we just couldn’t build a fake city with a fake Space Needle… I mean “Galactic Tower” just doesn’t sound right to us.

Our goal was to create an urban playground for the player as they experience Delsin’s amazing superhuman powers, so it was paramount that we capture the essence of the city. We wanted to give the player the feeling of walking down an alleyway and seeing the rain accumulate between the cobblestones, and the reflections of the rain-streaked, brick buildings and neon market signs. Or the feeling of looking up at the sun as it breaks through the clouds, sending rays of light through enormous pine trees. We challenged our team to create all the painstaking details of the atmosphere, architecture, and weather of Seattle, an open world complete with traffic, Seattle denizens wearing real, 3D-scanned clothing, expansive vistas, and destructible environments that are interactive with your powers. It’s also running at true 1080p.

The city also tells a big part of our story. Seattle is under martial law, and the presence of an oppressive police state is visible on every street. We licensed real local businesses to lend a credible feeling of being in Seattle, so as you recognize these well-known sites being suffocated by the DUP’s tactical gear, you get the idea that this nightmarish scenario could actually happen. Icons like The Space Needle, the monorail, and even local quirks like the “gum wall”, gives Second Son the feeling of a living, breathing city that needs Delsin to set it free.

We’re lucky to have one of the most talented and hard working environment, lighting, and effects art teams in the industry who are pushing hard to ensure that everything is the definition of “next gen.” We’ve worked hard on making the environments in Second Son look beautiful and feel as realistic as possible while also supporting a compelling narrative. We’re all excited to have players jump in and make their own adventures in our Seattle.

Add Your Own

JimmyHACK said:

January 27th, 7:09 am

Is Deslin’s beenie waterproof? If not, get some Scotchguard before March 21st everybody!

UndreyVITA said:

January 27th, 7:11 am

I have a little secret, this game looks freaking amazing.

StormTimber said:

January 27th, 7:19 am

yeah, this game looks freaking awesome! gonna get a ps4 sometime this summer and this’ll be the game i’ll be playing!

deanfrag said:

January 27th, 7:23 am

“t’s also running at true 1080p.”
I understood that reference.

SolidSnakeSSx said:

January 27th, 7:30 am

Are we going to be able to explore the area around Reggie’s house that was shown in the E3 trailer? There’s been a lot of speculation on whether or not that’s explorable or if it’s just there for cutscene purposes.

Zezzler said:

January 27th, 7:33 am

Pre-ordered my Collectors Edition, and cannot wait to play this game day 1!
Great Work Sucker Punch!

italodancemp3 said:

January 27th, 7:34 am

Hope to see it on PS VITA too,it’s not good to see it ony on PS4 like the last of us,we are all playstation devices and lovers.

AizawaYuuichi said:

January 27th, 7:55 am

That looks insanely impressive. The amount of detail in this streaming video is awesome, so I can only imagine how good the game will look once I get it in my PS4. Can’t wait!

Ryumoau said:

January 27th, 8:02 am

looks like a good rental.

Johnbot5k said:

January 27th, 8:05 am

That looks really SLICK!!! ….. (see what I did there?)

Dmaki650 said:

January 27th, 8:07 am

I Pre-ordered my copy via the PSN!! Can’t wait until March!

Zacky-V-A7X said:

January 27th, 8:14 am

Damn! that’s next gen, can’t wait!!!!

pablofsi08 said:

January 27th, 8:16 am

This will be a great game indeed. PS4 is lacking games that are truly PS4 games and not just ports.

Teflon02 said:

January 27th, 8:18 am

Can’t wait!!

Rabzinatorz said:

January 27th, 8:26 am

Imagine creating your own person and running around in Seattle with your friends. Woaaaaaaaaaaah I think I just made the next Infamous…

KRATOS_XIX said:

January 27th, 8:30 am

InFamous + Kurt Cobain = AWESOMENESS :D

hoard_moard said:

January 27th, 8:37 am

Can’t come soon enough!!! Sucker Punch, you guys are awesome ;)

ThanQPS said:

January 27th, 8:48 am

Im little disappointed hearing it does not have a multiplayer mode. you guys have created an amazing playground. Then dont you think in the playground it would be fun to play team deathmatch with everyone having super-power. Only single player mode is kind of waisting that world.

ThanQPS said:

January 27th, 8:54 am

Is there Sucker punch stadio in the game as a sort of easter egg? If so, cant I visit your stadio in the game?

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

January 27th, 8:58 am

I most certainly agree with #18..no online for such a good looking world..is just a waste IMHO.If MGS5 and GTA can have an ONLINE world ..Sony needs to jump on that wagon and give everyone something extremely special.
and exclusive open world game can make the PS4 alittle more worth getting hyped about..I know i would be.All notes aside the game looks amazing and i cant wait to play it when i get my ps4..which is the same time MGS5 comes out ..lol

Sigil82 said:

January 27th, 8:58 am

I cannot wait for this game to come out already! Preordered.

yentair said:

January 27th, 9:08 am

Being born in Seattle and raised in the Pacific Northwest, I’m sure this game will make me a little homesick.
But boy do I not miss all the rain and clouds! They’re not joking. With only 80-90 days of sunshine a year (on average), it’s so depressing. It’s a beautiful place to visit, but I could never live there again.
Looking forward to playing this once I get my PS4 sometime in the near future.
Nice work Sucker Punch!
True 1080P, lol. Take that Microsoft!

Welmosca said:

January 27th, 9:15 am

Galactic Tower….that a reference to AC Revelations?….if it is then shame on you guys…..oh well Martial Law is a pretty bad thing to happen anywhere….government having too much power over people is never good.Anyway great video…bring more “inside” videos,they’re really cool to watch.This Infamous is looking stunning…looks like a real next-gen game…the only way to see games looking next-gen is to look at PS4 exclusives.

charmed94 said:

January 27th, 9:23 am

Please give us a Bundle in Germany <3

MarinoBrea said:

January 27th, 9:24 am

Story trailer, NOW! :P Show us some cool boss fights, main villains!

puto09 said:

January 27th, 11:26 am

I should be able to watch videos in the PlayStation blog on my ps4. I want YouTube on my ps4.

INFIDEL_JIHAD said:

January 27th, 12:26 pm

looking really good … Is it march yet ? :o) c’mon march … @ 26 you can watch youtube on your ps4 web browser just put /tv on the end of the youtube adress

Nightmare142 said:

January 27th, 2:11 pm

WOW! simply beautiful. Sucker Punch you guys are the reason i own a PS4.

Strangeheaven said:

January 27th, 2:22 pm

Just pre ordered The PS4 Infamous Bundle on Amazon UK, Lovely box art.

JonJonXD said:

January 27th, 3:51 pm

I pre-ordered this through PSN yesterday.

I CAN’T WAIT!

saab01 said:

January 27th, 5:21 pm

This game is looking pretty sweet I still don’t know why more people are not giving this game a chance. I guess people are made that infamous is now a new character.

BlindMango said:

January 27th, 6:11 pm

I love beautiful games, where you can just sit and look for a while. the first two inFamous games were never really that beautiful (but they WERE GOOD GAMES!!) – This, however, looks like an absolutely fantastic game and I love what you guys are doing with it! The more I see of the visuals for this game, the more excited I am to play it myself, can’t wait!

tusunami said:

January 27th, 6:24 pm

@ThanQPS Not everything needs multiplayer, when multiplayer is put into a game it can ruin what was already great to begin with. But this is a well crafted game that will be enjoyable just like the rest of the Infamous games that I fully completed.

AizawaYuuichi said:

January 28th, 2:44 am

@ tusunami: Thank you, I totally agree. Multiplayer is the current plague affecting videogames of all genres that have no business having a multiplayer mode. There are genres that need it (shooters) and genres that don’t (pretty much everything else). inFAMOUS has always fallen into the second category. The UGC thing was a nice touch for people who wanted LBP in their inFAMOUS (don’t know who was asking for it, but okay…), but I’m perfectly happy with Second Son being a SP experience. There are plenty of other games coming that will have some form of multiplayer, like Watch_Dogs.

SureBigBuster said:

January 28th, 7:05 am

I’m STOKKEEEEEDDDD!!!

Welmosca said:

January 28th, 9:03 am

@ 32 BlindMango – Infamous 2 is stunning…those graphics are impressive.

Kchow23 said:

January 28th, 11:21 am

Can’t wait for March…game looks amazing!

Kasaix said:

January 28th, 12:38 pm

Can’t wait to get this, I already have the collector’s edition pre-ordered. I remember hearing somewhere that all the structure damage actually saves. Is that true? Like, if I destroy a phone booth, wall, or fence, will it stay that way?

alphagoku1 said:

January 28th, 2:25 pm

awwwwwww mannnnnnnnnnnn :( no multiplayer? well that’s pretty disappointing, I thought there was an interview that mentioned some work that would involve it in one form or another? either way, still getting the game, looks amazing, preordered when it was first available on amazon.