Spider-Man PS4

Feb 20

Feb 20

Deception IV: Blood Ties Hits PS3, PS Vita on March 25th

Keisuke Kikuchi's Avatar Posted by Producer

Deception IV: Blood Ties

The Deception series was born from the fusion of two gameplay concepts: playing as an evil character and using traps as weapons. The combination of these features creates a truly unique gameplay experience – one in which you can plan and lay out traps, lure enemies into them, find the right timing to activate them, and enjoy the reactions of your victims. The thrill and anticipation as you watch for that perfect moment to press the button and activate a trap is a feeling we really strove to capture for players in Deception IV: Blood Ties, coming to PS3 and PS Vita March 25th.

The real fun, however, lies in combining these traps into combos. When your enemy slips on a Banana Peel, you could follow it up by pushing him into position with the Nudge Wall, picking him up with the Claw, and then finally taking him out with a strategically-placed arrow, for example.

Deception IV: Blood Ties

Click here to see the full gallery

Players can take advantage of the themed traps that come with each stage, and combine them with their own equipped traps for even more possibilities. This gives each trap battle an element of strategy, as players must decide which traps to utilize and how to combine them for maximum effect.

In the early stages of development on Deception IV: Blood Ties, when we were gathering a lot of new trap ideas, we came up with the idea to categorize the traps into three different “styles”: Sadistic traps for maximum damage, Elaborate traps for complex combos, and Humiliating traps for entertaining enemy reactions. This encourages players to find their favorite play style to suit their own tastes.

Deception IV: Blood TiesDeception IV: Blood Ties

One example of a Sadistic trap is the Maiden’s Embrace. As our starting point, we took the Iron Maiden – a notorious medieval torture device – and added our own special touch to up the adrenaline factor.

Elaborate traps embody the technical aspect of trap combos, so we have a variety of traps like the Springboard and Claw that have special effects or lead into to other traps.

For Humiliating traps, we looked to places like comedy shows and comics for inspiration. We thought it would be funny to be able to use classics like the banana peel and the pie-in-the-face gag (well, a birthday cake, in this case) as weapons, so these make appearances as well.

How you use these traps in battle is only limited by your imagination. We hope you’ll give Deception IV: Blood Ties a try and experience this unique gameplay for yourself!

Add Your Own

Gorvi said:

February 20th, 9:05 am

This will be a day one buy for me. The original Tecmo’s Deception was one of the three games I took home with me when I purchased my PS1 and I’ll never forget it. I can’t wait to pop this in my Vita.

italodancemp3 said:

February 20th, 9:09 am

Yeah I knew it by official website a few weeks ago,it’s cool and looks hard before even try it heheh I like hard games :)

italodancemp3 said:

February 20th, 9:11 am

And forget to say it yeah no doubt the Vita version will be mine

TrueLordX said:

February 20th, 9:24 am

A franchise I have TRUELY missed and remember dearly, I’m so glad to see a new installment… But I have a question. Will this be retail or just digital download? I would think the game would sell well enough to warrant a little investment and have a retail release, which I would prefer, but I’ll probably pick this up for vita either way.

GodofDeathOnline said:

February 20th, 9:36 am

it would be nice for a ps4 version

jengo-bengo said:

February 20th, 9:36 am

Welcome back to PlayStation Kagero! Looking forward to this so much…hope to see more on the Youtube replay recording feature on the PS3 version.

Gorvi said:

February 20th, 9:37 am

@TrueLordX – Unless something has changed all press info has said it’ll be both physical and retail for both systems.

StryfeOmega said:

February 20th, 9:42 am

I have loved this series since it came out on the PS1! I am so glad TecmoKoei has decided to revive it here in the US. Day 1 purchase for me on both platforms. As a question, are there any plans to release the first 3 games as PS1 Classics? I still have my disks, but for people less familiar with the franchise, it would be a much better way to introduce them to it than Trapt, which was recently released as a PS2 classic.

FearMonkey said:

February 20th, 9:46 am

I’m a huge fan of the Deception series and you have no idea how much I’m looking forward to this new game in the series.

Can’t wait! ^_^

iREVOLTER said:

February 20th, 10:09 am

Nice! Look forward to it ))

Eraser35 said:

February 20th, 10:14 am

can I banana peel a guy into a spike pit?

Dustinwp said:

February 20th, 10:16 am

You guys at Tecmo Koei are killing my wallet lately. Just bought Toukiden: The Age of Demons and what a freaking awesome game! I’ll be purchasing Deception IV: Blood Ties on PS3 and Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition for PS4. Please, keep bringing your games stateside. Deception has been greatly missed and I’m super excited to play it once again.

mynameisdats said:

February 20th, 10:31 am

So many games to play on my vita! So little time!

Ryumoau said:

February 20th, 10:35 am

would have been nice for you to have included a gameplay trailer instead of making us hunt one down ourselves. Alittle convenience goes a long way.

tusunami said:

February 20th, 12:26 pm

Now this is the originality that i know is capable on the PS Vita. I am so excited to see more great games coming to the PS Vita. Well PS community finally after such a long & grueling wait it’s over. My PS Vita memory stick that i order last month from Amazon through Japan is finally arriving today!!!!!!!!!!!

Tinye310 said:

February 20th, 12:33 pm

@13 Feeling the same way. :)

My strategy… one game at a time! haha gonna last me years!

Mando44646 said:

February 20th, 12:49 pm

this looks awesome to have on Vita. Thanks!

(though I do wish it was PS4 in addition instead of just PS3)

Christian399 said:

February 20th, 12:50 pm

Bought literally every TK Vita game that has been released over here. You guys have been phenomenal with your output. Don’t ever stop! The Vita ports of Atelier games are great too, as I never had the occasion to play them all.

Mobius2525 said:

February 20th, 1:06 pm

Day one for me

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 20th, 1:29 pm

Sounds interestin. This is my first time hearing of this series, but I would be down to try it.

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 20th, 1:31 pm

*interesting

Elvick_ said:

February 20th, 1:47 pm

Space out your stuff better TK, yeesh!

genius527 said:

February 20th, 2:11 pm

Deception IV that game looks cool but, the graphics it’s not so cool “man”!!! And it looks like it can get “attention” from the other gamers on P.S. blog.

CCKM_01 said:

February 20th, 2:21 pm

It be nice if there was a limited edition version or pre-order bonus. It sucks when you have to import to get all content.

PrimeroIncognito said:

February 20th, 3:30 pm

@ Ryumoaner

You poor thing. It must have been exhausting hunting down that trailer, huh? Got your dress all ruffled and your make-up all smeared?

TrueLordX said:

February 20th, 7:12 pm

@Gorvi – Thanks so much… glad to hear it.

Souledge94 said:

February 20th, 7:29 pm

Two questions
1)is there some sort of plot to this game?If not then its ok im just curious is all
2) any limited edtion or pre order bonus in the work?

solid_toki said:

February 20th, 9:46 pm

@ 27

No limited edition likely. It’s almost a month from release; much like Toukiden, expect just the game. Tecmo Koei is bringing the games without caring about limited editions.
Import the Japanese version —

White_JackaL said:

February 20th, 11:41 pm

anyone notice the extreme similaritys to the recently released trapt ps2 classic on psn? there practically identical., just saying.

enJoy69r said:

February 21st, 1:42 am

I remember this game dearly, upgrading traps and trying to device a loop… oh and those epic stage traps. Even if is just a ps1 or ps2 HD with trophies it is worth the buy, a really adictive and distinct gameplay that nobody else picked up. I dont remember being evil tought, I think you were trying to scape and being possesed by some type of evil entity that gives you the power to figth back… as a mather of fact you act as the bait for your own traps.

IIL0YDII said:

February 21st, 2:19 am

Can’t wait!

hypersk_us said:

February 21st, 9:01 am

@28 (White_JackaL) that’s because “Trapt” was going to be the original “Deception 4”, but they renamed it because they considered it the first part of a new series.

Tyrannikos said:

February 21st, 1:13 pm

I’m gonna have my hands full between DW8XL and Deception.

KapuKapper said:

February 21st, 1:46 pm

I do hope that the writing is comically sinister. A favorite from Tecmo’s Deception (paraphrasing from memory):

Parents: “If we kill the lord of this castle, we can use the reward for our daughter’s life-saving operation”

*kills parents with giant foot*

Daughter: “Mommy… Daddy… Why haven’t you come home? *cough* Don’t you love me anymore?”

Your character was a very, very, very bad person.

AsahiSeth said:

February 22nd, 3:48 pm

@29 I would hope there’s a similarity considering this is a sequel to that game.

Sparkz92 said:

February 23rd, 3:35 am

As a newcomer to the series, i’m looking forward to trying it out :)

sunonthesea said:

February 23rd, 6:59 am

I own all the Deception games, even Trapt on disc from day one so this will be a must buy. Is it developed by ProjectZero? anyway I’ll do my part to keep this classic and unique game franchise alive!

OMGmyFACE said:

February 27th, 8:49 am

Deception 3 was one of the best games ever in my opinion. I must’ve beaten that thing 10+ times just trying to outdo my best trap combos. I WILL have this!

Lobselvith_Black said:

February 28th, 10:35 pm

I been a fan of Deception since the very first game, 1996.
I been waiting soo long for a new Deception game and finally here it is,
It’s good to be bad! >=D

PrinceofXIII said:

March 1st, 5:05 pm

So where can i pre order?

Where’s the amazon listing or anything??

EFFstradamus said:

March 8th, 3:00 am

I have never heard of this series I am afraid, but it looks good! will get it to play during the dog days of summer.

Moon261 said:

March 11th, 6:36 am

How exactly I never heard of this till today. It was one of the best game title I had when I was young, and I was always disappointed that they never continued it after the second installment. Welcome back Deception!