PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Hand of Fate Coming to PS4, PS Vita

Kim Allom's Avatar + Posted by Kim Allom on Mar 27, 2014 // Associate Producer, Defiant Development

Hand of Fate

Salutation, PlayStation! The team members at Defiant Development are thrilled to announce that our Kickstarter-funded, tabletop roguelike deck builder, Hand of Fate, will be coming to PS4 and PS Vita.

For those of you who haven’t heard of Hand of Fate, it’s a roguelike that blends tabletop card gaming and video game magic. Inspired by tarot and fantasy, all bets are off as you create your own journey by building a collection of cards used to deal out a boardgame-like dungeon teeming with enemies, treasure, and adventure. Upon entering combat, the cards come to life as the player is propelled into a beautiful 3D environment to brawl it out with foes. Draw your cards, play your hand, and discover your fate.

Hand of FateHand of Fate

Being a roguelike, Hand of Fate’s strength is its nearly endless combination of cards and ways to play. The deck builder lets you determine a mix of combat, chance, and equipment cards for your deck before you set out on your quest. Equipment selection ramps up replayability as the player is introduced to a slew of artifacts, weapons, and armor that modify gameplay. The player has the freedom to choose their cards, but how and when they are dealt out is purely up to The Dealer.

Hand of Fate is lovingly made by a talented team of board game, RPG, and roguelike game enthusiasts. So it’s a real treat to see our passion being brought to a new audience thanks to PlayStation.

Keep up to date with us via Twitter and Facebook.

We can’t wait for you to play Hand of Fate!

+ RE_Player on March 27th, 2014 at 4:02 pm said:

Looks cool.

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:09 pm said:

Thanks! If you’re going to be at PAX East in April, you’ll be able to play our BETA build!

+ Sharingan_itachi on March 27th, 2014 at 4:04 pm said:

Cross-save?

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:12 pm said:

Excellent question! In theory, yes, you should be able to cross-save but we’ll be able to answer this question more confidently as we progress through development. Cheers!

+ Mando44646 on March 27th, 2014 at 4:06 pm said:

This looks awesome! You have a buy on Vita :)

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:12 pm said:

You’re awesome! Thanks :)

+ mixedkidbx on March 27th, 2014 at 4:06 pm said:

woot a card game on ps4. imma keep a watch on this

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:14 pm said:

Hooray! Please do!

+ Rirse on March 27th, 2014 at 4:13 pm said:

Better have a character named Manos and/or Torgo in this.

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:23 pm said:

+ xClayMeow on March 27th, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

I’ve been addicted to hybrid CCGs on my iPhone (Injustice, Deadman’s Cross, and Collectables), so I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this for Vita!

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:29 pm said:

Good stuff! CCGs are where it’s at!

+ sciteach on March 27th, 2014 at 4:28 pm said:

Rirse you beat me to it!

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:31 pm said:

I feel a break dance battle is in order to settle this injustice!

+ califoreigner on March 27th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

i’ll be keeping an eye on this one

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:56 pm said:

Most excellent!

+ zephyrus777 on March 27th, 2014 at 5:07 pm said:

Does anyone know why April’s PS plus games weren’t announced today?

+ Lefoul-123 on March 27th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

I heard they will give PES 2014

+ pge_13 on March 27th, 2014 at 5:35 pm said:

And the PS+ preview?

+ Lefoul-123 on March 27th, 2014 at 5:47 pm said:

Why dont we have a cool blog like they do in europe.

+ tusunami on March 27th, 2014 at 6:36 pm said:

So this seems like the latest evolution of the early card game from PS3 when it came out that was called the eye of judgement. This will be interesting to se how this game will be received by the gaming community.

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 8:00 pm said:

We, too, are keen to see how Hand of Fate will be received by the gaming community. So far, so good! Judging by the reception from our Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight campaigns. Can’t wait to see what you wonderful Sony players will think though!

+ Husteen on March 27th, 2014 at 7:49 pm said:

i’m watching some gameplay of this right now, i think it’s a beta for the pc; it looks really cool. yu-gi-oh and pokemon were my card games when i was little, but that was probably over a decade ago. i haven’t played any card games since, but i really like the idea of getting back into it. looks like a purchase for me! thanks for bringing it to ps4. i’m also going to show this to my friend because he’s getting a ps4 soon, and i know he’ll be interested in this game. any word on a price?

@ tusunami: i watched mystic’s video, remembering eye of judgement, on youtube. i never heard about that game until recently, but it looks like something i would have loved when i was little. the closest i ever got to a game like that was yu-gi-oh duelists of roses. anyways, it’s too bad the concept of EoJ never caught on.

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 8:10 pm said:

Ooh! I’m interested to see the footage you’ve come across. Can you post a link here? Thanks for showing Hand of Fate to your lucky friend who’ll be getting a PS4 soon! That’s exciting stuff! In terms of price and release dates, we’ll confirm those details at a later stage, so keep your eyes peeled!

+ Torgo on March 27th, 2014 at 7:55 pm said:

Wait, I’m not going to be in this game?!?!?! :-(

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 8:17 pm said:

Well, we were going to try and break it to you gently…but then the internet happened. I’m sorry you had to find out this way. If you’re at PAX East I’d be more than happy to offer you a high five and/or sugary treat as a way of saying “Sorry Torgo, you’re not in our game…High five!”.

+ pablofsi08 on March 27th, 2014 at 8:20 pm said:

As long as the card game is interesting enough and the rpg part is strategic enough and well executed as well, it’s a Day 1 purchase in my case.

+ Kim Allom on March 29th, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

We’ve definitely focused on the single player experience so we can keep the game as fun and as interesting as possible given our indie dev resources. Hooray for day 1 purchases!

+ pablofsi08 on March 27th, 2014 at 8:21 pm said:

How similar will the cards part be to Elemental Monster?

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 9:23 pm said:

The card element of Hand of Fate comes largely from the deck builder mechanic. As you complete encounters (quests) and defeat enemies you will gain access to new combat, chance, and equipment cards that you may decide to add to your deck. During play, they will pop up at the will of The Dealer and you will venture through those cards.

You may decide to play a combat heavy quest or play something with an adventure focus. You get to decide what your game will look like as you unlock its features.

+ GordTremeshko on March 27th, 2014 at 8:23 pm said:

This looks really fun. I”m terrible at these types of games, but always enjoy them. I will be buying.

+ Kim Allom on March 29th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Right on!

+ Husteen on March 27th, 2014 at 8:36 pm said:

yeah. i wasn’t sure if we’re allowed to post youtube links here or not.

this one is a 7 minute video of a beginning stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsFUhBYGR0

this is a 23 minute playthrough of a more difficult stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1zguCatxs

and here’s a 6 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gna18IZMS0

+ Kim Allom on March 29th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

So you CAN post links after all! At the discretion of the moderators, I’m assuming :)

+ ServantRider on March 27th, 2014 at 8:41 pm said:

I haven’t heard anything about this game yet, which is pretty odd cause I’ve been on the lookout for new RPGs!

Had a couple questions:

1) Will it have micro-transactions?

2) What is the price-point you’re targeting?

3) How many players does it support?

Thanks for your time in replying :)

+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 9:40 pm said:

Hi ServantRider, firstly are you a rider of servants or are you a servant that rides things? I digress! Here are answers to your questions:

1) No. We may have expansion packs later down the line, but they will be DLC, not micro-transactions.

2) There isn’t a solid price point, but feel free to check out our Kickstarter (http://goo.gl/hPtQQy) to get an idea of PC pricing. We’ll let ya’ll know once a price point has been confirmed.

3) We’ve decided to go single player only with a goal to focus on amplifying the single player experience. Being a small indie dev team, we’ve also had to be realistic about scope and how we can deliver the best experience given the resources provided.

Thanks for your questions!

+ Husteen on March 27th, 2014 at 10:35 pm said:

hmm, i posted the three videos i watched, but it just says “your comment is awaiting moderation.”

i don’t think we’re allowed to post links here. they were just three videos i found on youtube. i just typed in “hand of fate gameplay” on youtube. the rest of my comment was “there’s a few more videos on youtube as well. i also watched the video on the kickstarter page where it looks like the graphics have improved. i hope you guys can show us some official gameplay of the final product soon.”

+ Kim Allom on March 28th, 2014 at 12:53 am said:

Hi again! Thanks for trying to post links, really appreciate that. In terms of gameplay footage, an official trailer is in the works. Stay tuned!

+ Green-Elf on March 27th, 2014 at 11:18 pm said:

I will have to keep my eye on this one.

+ Kim Allom on March 29th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

Radical!

+ Gamer_USA- on March 27th, 2014 at 11:41 pm said:

I am truly interested but I find myself concerned about how long it takes to reach end game items and overall game length. This is certainly on my radar! Looks like you guys may have something there.

+ Kim Allom on March 28th, 2014 at 12:59 am said:

Hello Gamer_USA! Are you concerned about the game being too short or too long? If it is the former, rest assure there will be tons of encounters to quest through and loads of awesome weapons and artifacts that will be revealed and become available as you progress.

+ veryhoudini11 on March 28th, 2014 at 12:10 am said:

I’ll be picking this up for sure. Im glad this got so much support on kickstarter. Thanks for the vita love.

+ Kim Allom on March 29th, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

Hey veryhoudini11! On a scale of 1 to 10, how Houdini are you? Because I would love an escape artist mentor. Anyway, we were ecstatic by the Kickstarter reception. Personally, I was a good mix of excited and nervous…Exci-vous? Nerv-ited? It was a great learning experience nonetheless. And that Vita love, awwwyeah!

+ stu123 on March 28th, 2014 at 12:18 am said:

I wish Eye of Judgment had caught on more i loved it, is there any similarities? don’t say card game! :)

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:36 am said:

I’m not incredibly familiar with Eye of Judgement, but I can say a major difference is that Hand of Fate is a rogue-like game and Eye of Judgement appears to be a one-on-one card trading battle.

What I mean by roguelike is that levels are generated in a random fashion so no run through is the same. You venture through the levels to find better and stronger weapons and artifacts to defeat stronger enemies as they are revealed to you. If you die, you will start from the beginning of the game with your starting gear. You also do not trade cards in Hand of Fate and, rather, build a collection of cards that will be dealt out and made available to you by The Dealer.

In terms of combat, you control the player character using your keyboard or controller and fight enemies with weapons and artifacts found along the way.

Hope this helps! After all that, Hand of Fate and Eye of Judgement are both games that use cards in some form. Therefore the only similarity is that they are both ‘card games’? :P

+ honkayjeezus on March 28th, 2014 at 12:59 am said:

More PS3 looking games on PS4, hurray?

+ iREVOLTER on March 28th, 2014 at 2:53 am said:

Eeeem is it going to be a Cross-Buy title ?

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:38 am said:

The honest answer to this question is ‘we’re not sure’. But as soon as those lines are smoothed out we will announce it on our Facebook (www.facebook.com/defiantdevelopment) and Twitter (@defiantdev). Thanks for your question!

+ mcksalg on March 28th, 2014 at 6:14 am said:

WOOOO this looks real good, only question I have is will this have some sort of replay value, like AI custom battles or A-sync multiplayer?

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:43 am said:

Hi! I get so excited when others get excited about Hand of Fate!

Ok, so if you look below at my reply to +Stu123′s comment (no. 25) and +oGMo’s comment below (no. 29), these combined should hopefully answer your question. Hooray!

+ oGMo on March 28th, 2014 at 7:02 am said:

@mcksalg … “roguelike” typically means “generative dungeons” and “permadeath”, and tend to have the most replay value of any game ever. ;) Hopefully this will follow suit! I’m kinda hyped already. I just hope it’s not f2p!

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:45 am said:

Nailed it! Not f2p :D

+ Harerazer on March 28th, 2014 at 7:23 am said:

I am very geeked out by this, being someone with a library of over 20,000 Pokemon cards (and growing). I will get this for my PS4 and hopefully I’ll like it enought o get it for my Vita also (when I get it this Summer).Card games like this are more made for portable systems IMO than home ones but it looks like something that will be appreciated on my 83 incher. Just PLEASE take all the time you like to create real intelligent AI.

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:47 am said:

Holy meow! Over 20,000?! That is so wild.

Rest assured, we are completely focused on making the single player experience the best it can be given our resources.

+ PBrudz on March 28th, 2014 at 7:24 am said:

Will there be expansions to this game? If so would you be in the LCG (Living Card Game) model (i.e.. the same cards are included in every pack), or in the TCG (Trading Card Game) model (i.e. random cards included in every pack).

Personally I prefer the LCG model to the TCG.

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 12:58 am said:

We would love to make Hand of Fate expansions! It all depends on the popularity of the game. I cannot completely confirm what kind of model we’d use but I’m inclined to say that LCG sounds more relevant and feasible to Hand of Fate’s play style.

+ Folkeye on March 28th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

“+ Kim Allom on March 27th, 2014 at 7:23 pm said:
We sadly will not have any characters that go by Manos and/or Torgo, I’m afraid. But there may or may not be a Valley Lodge. Just joking, there will not be a Valley Lodge in Hand of Fate.”

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? For shame!!

Though, I’ll admit…. I still like the idea :D

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:16 am said:

Haha glad you like the idea! Sometimes life throws difficult decisions at you, like should we or should we not develop a game to include assets from another game that we aren’t licensed for? (the answer is no we should not, because it would be illegal).

Totally in the same league as ‘do I want to have a hot or cold breakfast?’. Because, I like hash browns but I also like banana smoothies.

Make good choices, people.

+ Elementalstorm23 on March 28th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

When I am not doing the Enforcer thing at PAX East I will make sure to come by and check out the beta. This looks like a lot of fun and it’s funny because it reminds me of when my friends and I used to play Magic the Gathering. We used to talk about how cool would it be if it was digital and the cards were “alive”. Can’t wait to check this out, see you at PAX!

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:17 am said:

Yes! Hooray, someone who will be at PAX East! See you there!

+ Satnamji on March 28th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

I never played a card game before Uncharted Fight for Fortune on the Vita, and really loved it! I think the Vita is the perfect platform for card games, and I hope to see more!

Will this game be turn-based strategy based on the cards you put in play or will the 3D combat elements involve real-time fighting (swinging a sword, firing a weapon of some sort)? I guess I don’t really understand what “roguelike” means. Maybe I should look it up or something. :P

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:26 am said:

Hello! Combat is in real-time. You will be magically transported into a 3D world with the equipment in your arsenal and you will kick some serious monster butt! It will be glorious.

And if you want a read more on what ‘roguelike’ means for Hand of Fate, check out comments no. 25 and 29.

+ Borbzilla on March 28th, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

I just want to give a shout out to Kim Allom here. It’s clear this game has been an emotional investment for you and I’m sure it will be reflected in the finished product. Really looking forward to playing this on Vita and probably PS4 too especially if it’s cross-buy. Best of luck with your release!

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:30 am said:

:’)

This was a breath of fresh air to read. Like I said in the blog post, I work with some kick arse people who love boardgames, roguelikes and RPGs. Can’t wait for ya’ll to play it!

+ Trendy_Kid on March 28th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

I will pre-order this if possible!

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:34 am said:

Awwwwyeah! Will let you know on our Facebook (www.facebook.com/defiantdevelopment) and Twitter (@twitter) if a pre-order for PS4 or PS Vita is available, otherwise you can pre-order the PC/Mac/Linux version right now here: http://defiantdev.com/handoffate.php

+ ethdman on March 28th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

My friend told me about this game and showed me the Kickstarter when it was going on. Even as someone who doesn’t enjoy most card games, this is looking fantastic. If I had a PS4, I’d probably get it on that, but suffice it to say that you’ve won me over enough that I’ll be picking this up on Vita.

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:36 am said:

It is so awesome to read that people are finding out about Hand of Fate through word of mouth. As an indie dev it’s truly music to our ears! Thank you!

+ TooLegit505 on March 29th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

I guess you guys are never going to get rid of PS Plus Vita games Uncharted, Wipeout, and Gravity Rush are you? I am so tired of seeing these games as free. Can’t you guys pick 3 more? Rotate them out? Something?
PLEASE GET THESE GAMES OFF PS PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ OTBismarck on March 29th, 2014 at 11:05 pm said:

Is this a cross buy or two separate purchases?

+ Kim Allom on April 1st, 2014 at 1:38 am said:

Hi OTBismarck! Check out my reply to comment no. 27. In a nutshell, we’re not sure at this stage. But as soon as we find out, you will too!

+ CodoKamiyatchi on March 30th, 2014 at 7:44 pm said:

1, what is LIKELY the release date? Not asking for a full on exact release date, just what month or quarter of the year I should expect the game. Admittedly? D: I’m excited as all pantaloons for this game, so at least having SOME month to look forward to, even if it’s NOT, would be lovely.

2, If you guys DO release expansion packs, will they mesh seamlessly with the game, a la XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Or will it be like… “Pick a different deck”? Gotta ask, cause that is one of those things that horribly breaks immersion. >.o

3, So I saw that you can have an axe, and a sword… Any spears, or other weapon types? And magic types, or just preset spells? Like… Wind, fire, or earth? Or just “Tornado”, “Fireball”, stuff like that? All cool either way!

And lastly, 4, can you customize the appearance? Saw the recent trailer, and I just wanna know if you can change your hair, or face, or anything of that sort. Please let me know~!

Inquiring minds need to know, man! D: Help this thirst for knowledge!

+ CodoKamiyatchi on April 5th, 2014 at 1:32 am said:

Also, making sure to tell as many people as I can about this game. 8| I want this game noticed, cause by gawsh, I want this game somethin’ fierce.

+ morganjj on April 6th, 2014 at 9:00 pm said:

CodoKamiyatchi : Glad to hear you’re excited! To answer your questions

1. Around the middle of the year, we hope. This will be our first title for Vita / PS4, but we have the build running now, so it should be pretty smooth sailing from here. We’re in open beta at the moment, and once it’s awesome we’ll make sure it all gets lined up for release pretty quickly. We’re still learning about the submission process though, so it might take a couple of months to filter through once it’s all done – we’ll make it as quick as we possibly can, though.

2. Expansion packs for sure – I think they’ll embed in with everything else, but I’d also like to allow you to play just the exp-pack content if you only want to see the new stuff.

3. Preset spells, a bunch more weapons, but all in the “one handed swinging” kind of category – lots with magic abilities that you can unlock later, though.

4. Not really – appearance is only changed by gear, but char remains roughly the same.