Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

May 08

May 08

Hohokum: “The Right Kind of Wonky” on PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Richard Hogg's Avatar Posted by Co-creator, Hohokum

Hello there! We’re nearly finished making Hohokum for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita, and we’re excited for its launch this Summer!

For me, this past month has mostly been about all those final tweaks to the art. Making sure I’m happy with absolutely everything in the game. Some might call this “polish,” but polish implies a smoothness and shyness that somehow doesn’t seem right for my work on Hohokum. Today I was re-drawing some wonky hotdog-trees. They’re still pretty wonky but now it’s the right kind of wonky.

So, yeah. We’re nearly done with the biggest and most ambitious endeavor of my life. It’s an exciting time and also a time for reflection…

Recently we were filmed for the first of a series of developer diaries that touch on key components that make up the world of Hohokum. Our first video is about the Art of Hohokum, featuring myself and Ricky Haggett. We get a lot of questions about how the art style came about, what our process is like, and how our collaboration works. There is some sketchbook stuff that you might find interesting and one of our animators Angus Dick makes a guest appearance to talk about that side of things. It ends with me talking about vegetables for some reason.

We also have a shiny new website, which we’ll continue to update through the launch of the game. There you’ll find all of the screenshots, videos, and artwork we’ve released to date, as well as new little nuggets that we’ll be dropping every couple of weeks. Things like the following mysterious images. What are they? Are they screenshots? Concept art? Desktop wallpaper? Should you get one of them tattooed on your back? (Probably not) I’m saying nothing.

HohokumHohokumHohokum

Bye!

Add Your Own

FifthDream said:

May 8th, 8:10 am

The art is really beautiful and charming. If nothing happened, and there was nothing to do, in the game, i’d still want to play it, just to look at the art. I definitely want this. Such great stuff.

KazeEternal said:

May 8th, 8:15 am

You know what is the wrong kind of wonkey. PS+ Edition of Drive Club’s upgrade being a 50 dollar tied to PS+ game.

DelicaGunz said:

May 8th, 8:16 am

I like the visuals because its just different. It gives life to all these images and they found a way to make it playable. Wonderful.

DanteMerfi said:

May 8th, 8:23 am

I love the art direction. You definitely have my attention. I suggest making this cross-buy.

R2Dork said:

May 8th, 8:24 am

The soundtrack for this game seems like it’s going to be amazing! Have you considered pressing a vinyl album for it? I’d love to add it to my collection.

Green-Elf said:

May 8th, 8:34 am

This game keeps looking better and better. I can’t wait for it’s release!

iREVOLTER said:

May 8th, 8:45 am

It’s happening, isn’t it? I wait this game and hope to be really, really good! I want a release date, please!

Thwip said:

May 8th, 8:59 am

I look forward to trying your vegetables.

Thwip said:

May 8th, 9:00 am

In hindsight, my previous comment seems somehow inappropriate…oh well :)

God-Of-Lyf said:

May 8th, 9:01 am

This keeps looking the same and the same every time I see it. Just another childish game for PS4. Wake me when the big boy games come out because with all these mobil/wii looking games it’s a real snore fest. I swear its like we are stuck in the 80’s with all this crap…!!! Just Saying

oversevethousand said:

May 8th, 9:09 am

How about the wrong kind of wonky that is Sony refusing to address PS1 and PSP titles still not working on Vitas?

BlueBl1zzard said:

May 8th, 9:15 am

@oversevethousand I understand that you’re upset over the vita PS1/psp issue, but not every post needs your comment about it. Especially ones (like this) that have nothing to do with it.

klassymike said:

May 8th, 9:26 am

@BlueBl1zzard

Exactly. People go on every blog to complain about all their gaming woes, and it usually never pertains to the one they’re complaining on. Like bringing up DriveClub on this blog, like that makes any sense at all.

Neil said:

May 8th, 9:37 am

This video does one thing for me: makes me want to visit England again.

PanTheMan16 said:

May 8th, 9:57 am

Me likey da nutcracker pictchaaaa :D

PanTheMan16 said:

May 8th, 10:05 am

I just finished watching the video and must say that I am extremely excited to play Hohokum. I already knew I’d be buying it the first time I saw it, but it was great to get a sense of who you guys are and your process, and it’s really neat how you get to put the art you love and essentially your personality into a video game for potentially millions of people to enjoy. I think this will be one of the indie highlights of the PS4 generation.

mockduck said:

May 8th, 10:07 am

Really looking forward to this, it’s one of my most-anticipated games this year.

Rezznak said:

May 8th, 10:22 am

OH HELL YES! Easily one of my most anticipated. Can’t wait to hear the Tycho tracks. Pisses me off because I was GOING to see him live in my hometown but they sold out really quick..

Can’t wait for the summer release! YES!

Amnalehu said:

May 8th, 10:25 am

Oh DAT music! Looks (and sounds) like a lot of fun! Great job guys! Looking forward to adding this game to the collection.

Rainwater said:

May 8th, 10:49 am

This is my most anticipated game of 2014! So excited for this.

Welmosca said:

May 8th, 11:18 am

Nice art…thats a lil game that I’m looking forward to try out….since Santa Monica is involved,top notch quality is guaranteed.The only thing I dont like about this game is all these eyes.

CrownedLion said:

May 8th, 1:17 pm

When PS4 gets support for dynamic themes and backgrounds, it would be really cool to see a Hohokum theme. Congrats for reaching your ambitious goal.

Bad_Brains said:

May 8th, 1:52 pm

Can’t wait. game looks amazing for both the art and music. I love that part in the trailer with the snake moving through the “trees” and the lights that would come on because of it. very cool.

Wozman23 said:

May 8th, 2:28 pm

My interest level for Hohokum started off the charts, and every time I see something new, my excitement only increases exponentially. I’m now in a MANIC state! I CAN TASTE COLORS!

tusunami said:

May 8th, 5:30 pm

Now this is the kind of game that I like to se the originality at its best. Will be picking this up for sure gotta luv the indie games!!!!!

Dragonslayer_023 said:

May 8th, 7:24 pm

This game has been on my radar for a long time, glad it’s nearing completion!

jSETH said:

May 8th, 9:23 pm

I’m so glad to see that “L” from Tycho is used in this game.
Such a beautiful song.

Einhander138 said:

May 9th, 1:21 am

Give me a physical release or no sale.

yowzagabowza said:

May 9th, 7:48 pm

You are still redrawing stuff for this game? Dude, lets go already.