PS4 - Destiny

Hohokum: “The Right Kind of Wonky” on PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Richard Hogg's Avatar + Posted by Richard Hogg on May 08, 2014 // Co-creator, Hohokum

Hello there! We’re nearly finished making Hohokum for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita, and we’re excited for its launch this Summer!

For me, this past month has mostly been about all those final tweaks to the art. Making sure I’m happy with absolutely everything in the game. Some might call this “polish,” but polish implies a smoothness and shyness that somehow doesn’t seem right for my work on Hohokum. Today I was re-drawing some wonky hotdog-trees. They’re still pretty wonky but now it’s the right kind of wonky.

So, yeah. We’re nearly done with the biggest and most ambitious endeavor of my life. It’s an exciting time and also a time for reflection…

Recently we were filmed for the first of a series of developer diaries that touch on key components that make up the world of Hohokum. Our first video is about the Art of Hohokum, featuring myself and Ricky Haggett. We get a lot of questions about how the art style came about, what our process is like, and how our collaboration works. There is some sketchbook stuff that you might find interesting and one of our animators Angus Dick makes a guest appearance to talk about that side of things. It ends with me talking about vegetables for some reason.

We also have a shiny new website, which we’ll continue to update through the launch of the game. There you’ll find all of the screenshots, videos, and artwork we’ve released to date, as well as new little nuggets that we’ll be dropping every couple of weeks. Things like the following mysterious images. What are they? Are they screenshots? Concept art? Desktop wallpaper? Should you get one of them tattooed on your back? (Probably not) I’m saying nothing.

HohokumHohokumHohokum

Bye!

29 Comments   1 Reply

+ FifthDream on May 8th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

The art is really beautiful and charming. If nothing happened, and there was nothing to do, in the game, i’d still want to play it, just to look at the art. I definitely want this. Such great stuff.

+ KazeEternal on May 8th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

You know what is the wrong kind of wonkey. PS+ Edition of Drive Club’s upgrade being a 50 dollar tied to PS+ game.

+ DelicaGunz on May 8th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

I like the visuals because its just different. It gives life to all these images and they found a way to make it playable. Wonderful.

+ DanteMerfi on May 8th, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

I love the art direction. You definitely have my attention. I suggest making this cross-buy.

+ R2Dork on May 8th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

The soundtrack for this game seems like it’s going to be amazing! Have you considered pressing a vinyl album for it? I’d love to add it to my collection.

+ Green-Elf on May 8th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

This game keeps looking better and better. I can’t wait for it’s release!

+ iREVOLTER on May 8th, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

It’s happening, isn’t it? I wait this game and hope to be really, really good! I want a release date, please!

+ Thwip on May 8th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

I look forward to trying your vegetables.

+ Thwip on May 8th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

In hindsight, my previous comment seems somehow inappropriate…oh well :)

+ God-Of-Lyf on May 8th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

This keeps looking the same and the same every time I see it. Just another childish game for PS4. Wake me when the big boy games come out because with all these mobil/wii looking games it’s a real snore fest. I swear its like we are stuck in the 80’s with all this crap…!!! Just Saying

+ oversevethousand on May 8th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

How about the wrong kind of wonky that is Sony refusing to address PS1 and PSP titles still not working on Vitas?

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 8th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

@oversevethousand I understand that you’re upset over the vita PS1/psp issue, but not every post needs your comment about it. Especially ones (like this) that have nothing to do with it.

+ klassymike on May 8th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

@BlueBl1zzard

Exactly. People go on every blog to complain about all their gaming woes, and it usually never pertains to the one they’re complaining on. Like bringing up DriveClub on this blog, like that makes any sense at all.

+ Neil on May 8th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

This video does one thing for me: makes me want to visit England again.

+ PanTheMan16 on May 8th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Me likey da nutcracker pictchaaaa :D

+ PanTheMan16 on May 8th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

I just finished watching the video and must say that I am extremely excited to play Hohokum. I already knew I’d be buying it the first time I saw it, but it was great to get a sense of who you guys are and your process, and it’s really neat how you get to put the art you love and essentially your personality into a video game for potentially millions of people to enjoy. I think this will be one of the indie highlights of the PS4 generation.

+ mockduck on May 8th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Really looking forward to this, it’s one of my most-anticipated games this year.

+ Rezznak on May 8th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

OH HELL YES! Easily one of my most anticipated. Can’t wait to hear the Tycho tracks. Pisses me off because I was GOING to see him live in my hometown but they sold out really quick..

Can’t wait for the summer release! YES!

+ Amnalehu on May 8th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Oh DAT music! Looks (and sounds) like a lot of fun! Great job guys! Looking forward to adding this game to the collection.

+ Rainwater on May 8th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

This is my most anticipated game of 2014! So excited for this.

+ Welmosca on May 8th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

Nice art…thats a lil game that I’m looking forward to try out….since Santa Monica is involved,top notch quality is guaranteed.The only thing I dont like about this game is all these eyes.

+ CrownedLion on May 8th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

When PS4 gets support for dynamic themes and backgrounds, it would be really cool to see a Hohokum theme. Congrats for reaching your ambitious goal.

+ Bad_Brains on May 8th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

Can’t wait. game looks amazing for both the art and music. I love that part in the trailer with the snake moving through the “trees” and the lights that would come on because of it. very cool.

+ Wozman23 on May 8th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

My interest level for Hohokum started off the charts, and every time I see something new, my excitement only increases exponentially. I’m now in a MANIC state! I CAN TASTE COLORS!

+ tusunami on May 8th, 2014 at 5:30 pm said:

Now this is the kind of game that I like to se the originality at its best. Will be picking this up for sure gotta luv the indie games!!!!!

+ Dragonslayer_023 on May 8th, 2014 at 7:24 pm said:

This game has been on my radar for a long time, glad it’s nearing completion!

+ jSETH on May 8th, 2014 at 9:23 pm said:

I’m so glad to see that “L” from Tycho is used in this game.
Such a beautiful song.

+ Einhander138 on May 9th, 2014 at 1:21 am said:

Give me a physical release or no sale.

+ yowzagabowza on May 9th, 2014 at 7:48 pm said:

You are still redrawing stuff for this game? Dude, lets go already.