Uncharted 4

Assault Android Cactus on PS4, PS Vita: 8 Ways to Play

Tim Dawson's Avatar + Posted by Tim Dawson on Aug 11, 2014 // Artist/Programmer, Witch Beam

Hello! I’m Tim, the coder and art guy of Witch Beam, a three-person team making Assault Android Cactus which is heading to PS4 and PS Vita later this year.

Assault Android Cactus is an intense arena shooter in the arcade tradition where each character has an unlimited primary weapon that powers up over the course of the level and a sub weapon that works on a cool down. Where a shmup might have different ships, we have different androids, and we had a lot of fun designing our eight characters and drawing on our favorite arcade influences to give them each their own feel and keep them fun to play.

Assault Android Cactus

Cactus, our games namesake, sports the classic vulcan style machine gun. Fast, precise, and — once it’s leveled up — able to tear apart pretty much anything. Her secondary weapon is the flamethrower, a short range, high-damage weapon that burns through packs of enemies and puts big dents in boss health bars.

Holly’s Seeker uses homing bullets — they lack punch but are easy to use and backed up by a slow traveling but destructive Cannonball to smash through enemy lines. Lemon uses the classic Spreadshot, when upgraded it has the most screen coverage in the entire game, and her four shot rocket launcher makes short work of tougher enemies.

Assault Android Cactus

Assault Android CactusAssault Android Cactus

Coral uses a slow reload, short ranged shotgun that clears groups at a time, and drops a plasma field capable of repelling enemy bullets and dealing damage to everything nearby. Starch uses a continuous beam laser rifle, and can rain down swarms of heatseeking micromissiles on hapless foes.

Aubergine doesn’t even use a gun! She controls a spinning robot called Helo and drives him into enemies remotely, while using her Singularity Generator to create mini black holes to suck enemies together. Shiitake uses a slow-firing but heavy-hitting Railgun that will pierce a row of enemies, and plants proximity activated Propeller Mines, letting her set traps and stay on the offensive even when backpedaling.

Our latest playable character, Peanut, sprays molten metal with her Magma Welder, leaving behind hazardous puddles, but her secondary weapon is the real show — the rocket propelled Giga Drill, capable of sending her screaming across the stage, impale large enemies then screwing them to the walls!

Assault Android Cactus

The character roster not only gives the game more ways to play, on PS4 they all get to mix together in local co-op. We have been fortunate enough to be able to demonstrate Cactus at conventions around the world now and hope when it finally reaches PlayStation Store, it’ll be with the benefit of all the tuning and play testing we’ve been able to do along the way!

You can play the PS4 version of Assault Android Cactus at the PlayStation booth during Gamescom, so if you’re attending be sure to check it out! Otherwise you can keep tabs on developments via our blog, Facebook page or our Twitter!

35 Comments

+ Mercenary09 on August 11th, 2014 at 6:04 am said:

Looks good guys been wondering what happened to this game. Glad to know that you’re just making sure its the best it can be. Any kind of idea when we can expect it to come out and price?

+ GODSFAVORITE on August 11th, 2014 at 6:06 am said:

I’ve been impatiently waiting for this game. I will pre-order it as soon as it goes up on the store.

+ janusfilmsfan on August 11th, 2014 at 6:07 am said:

Seriously can’t wait for this one. It’s been on my radar for awhile now.

+ smoothboarder540 on August 11th, 2014 at 6:10 am said:

Putting Android in the name seems kind of dumb. People are sick and tired of games releasing on ps4 that look like they were made for android platforms.

+ Elvick_ on August 11th, 2014 at 6:15 am said:

Game looks great. Hope the Vita version doesn’t have any framerate problems, because I’d prefer playing it there.

@4: That’s a vocal (and dumb) minority. “Oh no, more games to choose from ):” “Fun? What’s a fun? I need 600 billion budgets and 99 on metacritic to know if something is fun”

+ Sonic_Jam on August 11th, 2014 at 6:24 am said:

Hi guys I’m the designer at Witch Beam and happy to answer any questions! First off we’re not announcing a release date yet because we’re busy trying to get closer to a full release, but our plan has always been to price the game at $15 and be part of the cross-buy system.

I’m sorry if the word Android is confusing but we like to think that word was around before mobile phones and will exist after we stop using them! It has no relation to the platforms the game is being built for :)

+ GODSFAVORITE on August 11th, 2014 at 6:30 am said:

@Sonic_Jam

Thanks for the info. I’ve been excited for this game ever since the first screens showed up. Will the Vita version support Co-Op?

+ Sonic_Jam on August 11th, 2014 at 6:37 am said:

@GODSFAVORITE You’re welcome and I’m glad you’re excited! Unfortunately our co-op mode is local so it won’t be there in the Vita version.

+ Elvick_ on August 11th, 2014 at 6:54 am said:

@Sonic_Jam: How many different arenas are there going to be?

+ Sonic_Jam on August 11th, 2014 at 6:59 am said:

@ Elvick_ We have 25 levels across the campaign and levels usually have a few dynamic elements/twists to them, there’s also Infinity Drive mode (Similar to a sort of endless battle in other games) and Boss Rush, our hope is that with the different character playstyles and EX options there’ll be a lot of reasons to revisit things in a different light!

+ Mjolnirs on August 11th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

@1 They’ve definitely been working on the game and pushing updates through the Early Access version on Steam.

+ MarinoBrea on August 11th, 2014 at 7:14 am said:

This one caught my eye since it was first announced for PlayStation. I hope it’s good.

+ Sneeches on August 11th, 2014 at 7:20 am said:

looks cool, keep up the hard work guys.

+ Solbaid on August 11th, 2014 at 7:23 am said:

So no online co-op? Hopefully yall decide to add that eventually.

+ FurryCurry on August 11th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

I know you said you don’t have a release date yet Sonic_Jam but do you think it’ll be this year at least?

Also is it possible to implement online co-op in the future?

And will you be using the Dual Shock 4′s speaker in any capacity?

I loved playing the demo on Steam and I’ve been waiting ever since to get this on PS4/Vita. $15 is the perfect price for this. I can’t wait to play it on a big tv with friends.

+ honkayjeezus on August 11th, 2014 at 7:46 am said:

@Elvick… Sorry you believe anyone who doesn’t think like you is a dumb minority gamer. That statement sounds like BioWare PR when talking about those who didn’t like the ending of Mass Effect 3.

The first thing I thought of when looking at the game name was why an Android game is up on PS Blog.

+ yowzagabowza on August 11th, 2014 at 7:48 am said:

$15 is NOT the perfect price for this. Ten is. That goes for all of you.

+ LukasTKP on August 11th, 2014 at 7:50 am said:

How to set my account to automatically rate 5 star for any article on vita releases ?

+ Sonic_Jam on August 11th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

@ FurryCurry We’re learning to keep our mouths shut on specifics about release dates as things have a tendency to change, I’m really proud of the PS4 version that’s playable at Gamescom so hopefully we can keep that momentum up!

Online co-op is by far our most requested feature so we’re always thinking about it, I tend to believe honesty is the best policy so with that in mind it won’t be possible at launch. Post launch it’s hard to say how things will go, we’ll definitely look at all the options!

The gamescom build actually has a bunch of DS4 functionality, we colour code the lights to match the selected players (for easy multiplayer identification) and send individual character dialogue to the corresponding player controller, it might not come across as being that big a deal but in a hectic game like Cactus I think it adds a lot to the experience & is part of why I love playing the PS4 version.

+ Brooklyn008 on August 11th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Looks sweet. Local coop with my son, looks like fun!

+ xClayMeow on August 11th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

Played the demo on Steam awhile back and it was pretty neat. Please release the demo on PSN so I could check it out on Vita!

+ SaberX85 on August 11th, 2014 at 8:49 am said:

Can’t wait to play this game, i hope this will release soon.

+ yentair on August 11th, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

Kudos for making all of the characters women. It might seem like a minor detail, but it actually goes a long way towards fighting sexism in video games. I choose to support these kinds of game makers, for the sake of my wife and daughter.
And it doesn’t hurt that your game actually looks fun.
Cheers!

+ Rezolution77 on August 11th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

Can’t say I mind PC games coming to Vita, at all.

******How about a game like Iris Online?*******

As for this one, it looks better than #killallzombies , but still lacking for older gamers.

Dead Nation is 7.99, and thats retail, so not paying anymore than that.

+ FearMonkey on August 11th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN’T…

WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT…

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::heavy breathing::

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 11th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

Huh, this is the first time I’ve heard of this game. It looks pretty interesting and a $15 price point sounds good too. Haha, I especially like the title, I guess there’s just something intriguing about words that sound like they’d never appeared together in a sentence (like “Assault Android Cactus” or “Metal Gear Solid”).

+ Amir_G_M_US on August 11th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

This looks more like a GAME!!!!! (than many others a year ago)
Recently I am getting to see better and better games for the Vita. I am so glad I have one!

I just hope the big publishers like Sqaure, Ubi, Acti, 2K and Bandai do not abandon the Vita…

+ Souledge94 on August 11th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

I was curious if this game was dead or not. I saw it a while ago it looks like fun.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 11th, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:

This looks really fun. Can’t wait for more info. And I should hopefully (and finally) have a few new controllers (in something other than black) when this comes out in order to take advantage of the local co-op.

+ omnithrash on August 11th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

Looks like it could be cool, I would have definitely picked it up if it didn’t have all female characters.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 11th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

@AizawaYuuichi
Dat blue Dualshock 4……

+ tusunami on August 11th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

From what I read this is going to be incredible but will this be this year I hope so.

+ Lokidies on August 11th, 2014 at 9:29 pm said:

another vita game where all the characters are little girls =_=

+ jcgoodekillz on August 11th, 2014 at 10:15 pm said:

SONIC JAM I AM THANKFULL FOR DEVELOPERS LIKE YOU NOT ONLY MAKING
A BDASS GAME THAT DEFRIENT FOM THE OTHERS BUT I AM A DEVELOPER MYSELF I SUGGEST THAT IS WHAT I AM A SUGGUSTION DEVELOPER TO HELP ON GAMES THAT ARENT GOING SO WELL I SUGGUSTED STUFF TO MY FRIEND GARY
ON STARLIGHT INCEPTION AND SENT IN MANY REQUEST FOR ROCKSTARS GAMES GTA AND ATIVISION INFINITYWARD FOR FPS IN GENERAL I FOCUS ON COD AND HOW IT SHOULD GO I LOVE MOBILE AS EVERYONE SHOULD NOW PSVITA
IS A MOBILE CONSOLE I ADMIRE DEVELOPERS LIKE YOU KEEP IT UP I CURRENTLY HOLD A MOBILE AND PSVITA DEVELOPERS LICENSE great job man

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 6:27 am said:

Can’t get over @4 smoothboarder540′s assertion. Now I wonder how the Android Saga of Dragon Bal Z would come across with this mindset…