Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Aug 12

Journey and The Unfinished Swan Coming to PS4

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar Posted by Aaron Kaufman on Aug 12, 2014 // Community Strategist, Santa Monica Studio

It’s always fun to see what a new game console can do. Seeing as PlayStation 4 isn’t even a year old yet, a few studios based in Santa Monica wanted to bring their award-winning games to the PS4. Read below for the details on two very special announcements from two great studios that are part of the PlayStation family.

Experience Journey on PS4
Hi everyone, this is Jenova Chen, President and Creative Director of thatgamecompany. It’s been quite a ride seeing how far Journey has come in the two and a half years since its launch on PlayStation 3.

Thanks to the many referrals of our players over the years, we’ve seen a steady flow of new players discovering the game and a community of veterans helping them along the way. Many players who bought a PS4 wrote us wondering if they will be able to experience Journey one day.

Today we are happy to share that a whole new generation of players will experience the wonder of Journey when it comes to PlayStation 4 later this year.

Thanks to the heartfelt efforts of fellow developers Tricky Pixels, players new and old alike will share in the beloved Journey experience in visually stunning 1080p. More details about Journey’s release on PlayStation 4 are in the works for future announcement.

Until then, players can enjoy discovering, or rediscovering, Journey’s predecessors — flow and Flower — both available now on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

The Unfinished Swan comes to PS4
And, now it’s my turn, Ian Dallas, the Creative Director for Giant Sparrow. I’m pleased to announce that The Unfinished Swan is coming to PS4 later this year, and for those of you at Gamescom, stop by the Sony booth to see the game running at 1080p firsthand.

The Unfinished Swan for PS3

The Unfinished Swan is about awe and wonder — the kind you experience as a child when reading a book for the first or even tenth time. We hope to inspire this same feeling in people that are new to the game or have already enjoyed it on PS3.

We want to thank the folks at Armature Studio, who did all the work to bring the game to PS4. They put a ton of effort in to make it look amazing, including going back to the original art files and regenerating higher resolution versions.

Over the past few months we’ve really enjoyed watching our game take shape on PS4. We can’t wait for you all to play it either for the first time — or the 20th.

PAGE 1 2

+ moecage on August 12th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

God Of War…..

+ sbaradan06 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

I purchased both Journey and Unfinished Swan when they came out on PS3. So will I be able to download them to my PS4 for free? Or are these different versions?

+ nagids on August 12th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

If I had the collector’s edition for ps3 I can journey on ps4? sadly I can’t with flower, so hope that work for journey ):

+ RAOH92 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

That is awesome news!! I’ve been looking for an excuse to revisit Journey. Thanks guys!

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:44 am said:

’bout time! Journey’s been a shoe-in, but great on TUS, too! I’ll…prolly blast through ’em again, should I ever finally get a PS4. Ah, but I still have that “use 3 paint globs or less in the bleach-white beginning” challenge to overcome…

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Ah, right, Vita! But then… Journey’s lose something without its passive online functionality, and TUS is alleged here to be Move-centric (though I’ve as yet played with anything but a DualShock). It’d be nice, but something might be lost by the platform’s nature.

+ groovyone on August 12th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

I also have the disc version of Journey/Flow/Flower. Any word on those of us who went retail getting the PS4 versions?

+ LaochEire on August 12th, 2014 at 8:49 am said:

@42 Yeah, the word is “tough”

+ GrafUlrich88 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

Hey Aaron,

I’m looking forward to both these games for the PS4. I never got them on my PS3 (I know what the heck was I thinking). Please pass on a big thank you to all the team members working hard to bring these to the PS4.

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

+ SeanStrange on August 12th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

This is great news. I’ll play through these two again on my PS4, that’s for sure!

+ frdjck108 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:02 am said:

Good News! I will buy them both day one for sure.

+ plaztiksyke on August 12th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

I loved both of these games, despite the produers in Santa Monica watering down the more hilariously adult aspects of Unfinished Swan. (I was really hoping an alternately-rated DLC that put the jokes back in would come out.)

I just can’t believe that 3DTV support is being passed on AGAIN. Nearly every PS2 “remaster” that came out on PS3 had 3DTV support (God of War, Prince of Persia, Sly Cooper,…), and some of the best-looking games on PS4 are “remastered” PS3 games that support 3DTV (Trine 2 and Zen Pinball 2). I originally hypothesized that Sony marketing didn’t want to “confuse” consumers, so all mention of 3D (including 3D Bluray) was held off. Well, we’re WAY beyond the launch window, and no one is confused — everyone wants to see the next level of what PlayStation can do with 3D, Move, etc with the PS4. We all expect XboxOne to have to cotinually gimp the experience to compensate for their poor hadware design choices, but this is ridiculous coming from PS4.

+ plaztiksyke on August 12th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Will the audio assets in both games be 24-bit FLAC/lossless? flOw’s audio got a really nice upgrade in the transition to PS4, and Journey had an absolutely AMAZING soundtrack.

Will Unfinished Swan retain its Move support?

I’m really disappointed that Flower, and now Journey, won’t have 3DTV support. At least they’ll be free.

PS: Flower on Vita is still unplayable due to sub-native resolution and bad LOD streaming. It’s impossible to see what flowers still need blooming by fliying higher and getting a “bird’s eye” view, as between the sub-native resolution and extremely low LOD at that distance, the flowers (bloomed and unbloomed) all look the same. Please fix and stop filling the VIta with unsupported first-party shovelware like its a Wii.

+ Grayfox2k8 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:30 am said:

I own it on PS3. Since its cross-buy that means I don’t have to buy it again for PS4 right?

+ GummyCore on August 12th, 2014 at 9:32 am said:

It’s answered a few times here that these games are cross-buy. That’s clear enough – if you buy the new PS4 version, it’s cross-buy and you get the earlier PS3 version.

However there are games that are cross-buy only if you buy a ‘higher’ version but not the opposite way. For example, buying PS3 version of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time gets you the Vita version but buying the Vita version doesn’t get you the PS3 one. So the question is whether cross-buy here is applicable to every version?

And, more importantly, is it retrospective? If we buy the PS3 version later, we may get the PS4 version together as cross-buy, but If we already bought the PS3 version previously, do we get the new PS4 version for free? Pretty sure the answer is yes but just want to be 100% clear.

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 9:32 am said:

@48; I didn’t have an issue playing Flower on Vita, apart from the obvious. Tilting doesn’t work with a screen tilting with it. Too wonky, and the touch was dumb. May as well have mapped the same thing to analog sticks.

Native res would’ve been nice though.

+ iREVOLTER on August 12th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

Do Remote Play works on both titles?

+ xClayMeow on August 12th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

I don’t care about Swan, but no Journey on Vita is lame. I’ve been waiting for a TGC Trilogy Pack on Vita.

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

Wow. Journey is one of the most beautiful game I played in recent years (beautiful as in artsy) on my PS3, and despite the PS4 being at the moment nothing more than a glorified remaster station for already released games, I don’t mind these ones as they are both prime examples of “games as art”.

I’m very hyped to play these new versions of both titles. I presume they will also support Streaming to the Vita?

+ GummyCore on August 12th, 2014 at 9:43 am said:

I too am disappointed in the lack of 3DTV support. These are not the most graphically demanding games in the world, surely it’s not too difficult to implement 3D. If Uncharted 3 on PS3 can look gorgeous in 3D (but in lower res), surely it can easily be done on these games too, even if you have to drop the frame rate to 30 fps. Hey, even if it’s 1080p 30fps, that’s already higher resolution than the PS3 version and will look way better. If a player prefers lower fps in exchange for 3D, that option should be available to him.

Or is Sony basically dropping 3D, as a business direction? (Just like it dropped Simulview almost instantly.)

+ BigJared327 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:49 am said:

I bought the physical Journey Collector’s Edition for PS3, so does this mean I’m entitled to getting it for free on PS4 through cross-buy? Or is this only for those who bought a digital copy of Journey?

+ ossiecastro5 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

I am glad to see these titles being available on the PS4. These have been very iconic games and will be please many newcomers for the PS4.

As a side note, I would also like to see Playstation All Stars to get a port like this too. ;)

+ Grandorian on August 12th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

If I bought this already do i still get it free on PS4?

+ Welmosca on August 12th, 2014 at 10:08 am said:

Lame…this is very lame……..but cross-buy is great.I’ll never pay twice for the same game that I already have on PS3 in HD.

+ Benzitor on August 12th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Please don’t forget the Vita

+ dizeeStL on August 12th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

omg more ports of PS3 games, i am so shocked!!!

sony, i havent had enough indie garbage or ps3/vita ports shoved down my throat yet, can we have some more please?

+ RoII_chan on August 12th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

+ LUCIFERSGLEAM on August 12th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

RePlayStation 4. Greatness awaits, we’re not getting the next Tomb Raider!

+ LUCIFERSGLEAM on August 12th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

It’s not too late to get an Xbox One. I prefer buying one with the Kinect but hey!

+ God-Of-Lyf on August 12th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

+ MySummerJob on August 12th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Will this be available physically, or just download?

I’m hoping I can get a physically (even if I have to order it online/directly).

+ Hakumen__ on August 12th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

I have heard good things about Journey. If they ever release a PS Vita version I’ll definitely buy that one.

I really haven’t heard about the Unfinished Swan. I’ll look into it, and if it is good, I would also support a PS Vita version.

And yes, I have a PS4 and know about remote play, but so far my experience with remote play has been very disappointing (in my house with a 200 MB/s connection the singla keeps breaking :(

Definitely not a viable alternative.

+ D-Squad3 on August 12th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

I already bought these for my PS3, I have to buy them again? No thanks.

+ NO_FEAR on August 12th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

This is pretty awesome! Hi Aaron :)

I shall go play now, still need to finish TLOU replay….dat backlog!

+ drdre74 on August 12th, 2014 at 3:36 pm said:

Great! I’ll be able to play Journey on my new PS4. I was going to sell my PS3 to my brother but didn’t want to loose all my games.

+ ThumbsOfSteel74 on August 13th, 2014 at 6:35 am said:

@D-Squad3: Um…there have been several official replies saying both games will be cross-buy, meaning if you bought them digitally they’ll be free to download once they launch on PS4.

+ Deadpoolian on August 13th, 2014 at 4:22 pm said:

Question! Any chance of there being a photo mode in Journey? I realize that would probably be impossible considering it’s mostly a multiplayer game. But maybe there could be some sort of photo mode when playing the game offline?

Regardless, super pumped that it’s cross-buy! Can’t wait to play Journey again on PS4. I think I replayed it on PS3 like 50 times, haha.

+ Th3_D3crYpter on August 13th, 2014 at 9:16 pm said:

I know it has been stated that you get the game free for PS4 if you have the PS3 version, but just to clarify do the people who own it on PHYSICAL DISC get it for free as well or just the ones who bought the game off PS Store? Thanks!

+ abrasion-usa on August 14th, 2014 at 4:36 am said:

As someone who purchased the collectors edition for PS3, I can only say I’m _EXTREMELY_ disapointed that we all paid more, to support the developers, only to get shafted next round, sorry but it’s just rubbish.

There’s been several other games which offer a disc check. Why can’t this be done for journey for the people who paid THE MOST to support the damn company?

+ Firethorn43 on August 14th, 2014 at 8:04 am said:

For those of us who bought the Collector’s edition on PS3: I know I had to rebuy Flower on PS4 and Vita. I think its safe to say we have to rebuy it if you owned Journey PS3 from the Collector’s Edition and not Digitally. :(

+ TheExit148 on August 14th, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

I’m sure I know the answer (probably won’t be supported) but does cross buy support work at all for the people who have purchased the retail disc with Journey on it?

+ Sadstation on August 14th, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

Ohmygodohmygod! Thank you.

+ TheOvermatt on August 15th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Is there any chance of cross-play happening if I bought the physical edition of Journey that came with flow and Flower as well?

+ phinnv8 on August 18th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

Looking forward to getting Journey on PS4. I didn’t get it on PS3. Great to hear they are targeting 1080p/60fps, but what about extending the trophy list to include a platinum this time? Surely Sony could allow it for such an acclaimed game. :)

+ Wario64 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:35 am said:

Is it 60 FPS though?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

60FPS is what the team is targeting

+ KM3K on August 12th, 2014 at 7:37 am said:

Will these be cross-buy like Flower, fl0w, Sound Shapes and Escape Plan?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

As a cross-buy title, once Journey is downloaded you will be able to download it for free on any other platform available through the PlayStation Network, much like how fl0w and Flower were launched for PS4.

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

And The Unfinished Swan as well!

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

What about PS Vita? ):

Still, excited to play through these again and take a bajillion screenshots~

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:58 am said:

We are focused on bringing ThatGameCompany’s 2012 Game of the Year, Journey, and Giant Sparrow’s critically-acclaimed title to the PS4 at this time

+ Ghostwize on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

I already own these. Do I have to purchase again or will it be like Flower and the purchases transfer over to the ps4?

+ Ali_16x on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

Wow, I see no cross buy said anywhere. Seriously? Your other games are cross buy but the most popular one and the one you know will sell, you aren’t going to do cross buy….

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

There is cross buy available, no worries!

+ Mercenary09 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

Please bring these to Vita as well and make them cross buy.

PAGE 1 2