LittleBigPlanet 3

Journey and The Unfinished Swan Coming to PS4

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar + Posted by Aaron Kaufman on Aug 12, 2014 // Community Strategist, Santa Monica Studio

It’s always fun to see what a new game console can do. Seeing as PlayStation 4 isn’t even a year old yet, a few studios based in Santa Monica wanted to bring their award-winning games to the PS4. Read below for the details on two very special announcements from two great studios that are part of the PlayStation family.

Experience Journey on PS4
Hi everyone, this is Jenova Chen, President and Creative Director of thatgamecompany. It’s been quite a ride seeing how far Journey has come in the two and a half years since its launch on PlayStation 3.

JourneySwan-featured

Thanks to the many referrals of our players over the years, we’ve seen a steady flow of new players discovering the game and a community of veterans helping them along the way. Many players who bought a PS4 wrote us wondering if they will be able to experience Journey one day.

Today we are happy to share that a whole new generation of players will experience the wonder of Journey when it comes to PlayStation 4 later this year.

Thanks to the heartfelt efforts of fellow developers Tricky Pixels, players new and old alike will share in the beloved Journey experience in visually stunning 1080p. More details about Journey’s release on PlayStation 4 are in the works for future announcement.

Until then, players can enjoy discovering, or rediscovering, Journey’s predecessors — flow and Flower — both available now on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

The Unfinished Swan comes to PS4
And, now it’s my turn, Ian Dallas, the Creative Director for Giant Sparrow. I’m pleased to announce that The Unfinished Swan is coming to PS4 later this year, and for those of you at Gamescom, stop by the Sony booth to see the game running at 1080p firsthand.

The Unfinished Swan for PS3

The Unfinished Swan is about awe and wonder — the kind you experience as a child when reading a book for the first or even tenth time. We hope to inspire this same feeling in people that are new to the game or have already enjoyed it on PS3.

We want to thank the folks at Armature Studio, who did all the work to bring the game to PS4. They put a ton of effort in to make it look amazing, including going back to the original art files and regenerating higher resolution versions.

Over the past few months we’ve really enjoyed watching our game take shape on PS4. We can’t wait for you all to play it either for the first time — or the 20th.

PAGE 1 2

+ Wario64 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:35 am said:

Is it 60 FPS though?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

60FPS is what the team is targeting

+ KM3K on August 12th, 2014 at 7:37 am said:

Will these be cross-buy like Flower, fl0w, Sound Shapes and Escape Plan?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

As a cross-buy title, once Journey is downloaded you will be able to download it for free on any other platform available through the PlayStation Network, much like how fl0w and Flower were launched for PS4.

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

And The Unfinished Swan as well!

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

What about PS Vita? ):

Still, excited to play through these again and take a bajillion screenshots~

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:58 am said:

We are focused on bringing ThatGameCompany’s 2012 Game of the Year, Journey, and Giant Sparrow’s critically-acclaimed title to the PS4 at this time

+ Ghostwize on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

I already own these. Do I have to purchase again or will it be like Flower and the purchases transfer over to the ps4?

+ Ali_16x on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

Wow, I see no cross buy said anywhere. Seriously? Your other games are cross buy but the most popular one and the one you know will sell, you aren’t going to do cross buy….

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

There is cross buy available, no worries!

+ Mercenary09 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

Please bring these to Vita as well and make them cross buy.

+ nagids on August 12th, 2014 at 7:41 am said:

omg, now i want journey on vita!!! but really cool for ps4! i’ve already played all the games and really loved them all, thanks thatgamecompany!!! <3

+ Cortez583 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:41 am said:

Cross buy, please. It was amazing that Flower was cross buy.

+ msmont on August 12th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

I’ll play through Journey again. I made it through twice, but the second time I took a shortcut I think and it was only 45 minutes long.

I got about half way through Unfinished Swan. Was really cool, but you have to be in a certain mood to play a move game. I hadn’t realized that the move even worked with PS4.

+ moecage on August 12th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Will it be 500FPS ? Also, is it the Collector’s Edition or just journey ?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 8:00 am said:

I’ve never heard of a game that is 500FPS, but the team is targeting 60FPS

It is just Journey and The Unfinished Swan

+ iZalman007 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:43 am said:

Any chance of a physical release? As a collector, I’d love to have Journey on a PS4 disc. It did happen on PS3, after all.

+ msmont on August 12th, 2014 at 7:43 am said:

For those saying support both of these on Vita…I’m not sure you really want Unfinished Swan on the Vita. It really is designed to be played with the Move controller.

+ PanTheMan16 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

I hope it’s cross-buy because I would love to play The Unfinished Swan again. One of the greatest downloadable titles of last gen.
However, Journey was probably the single most overrated title of last gen. I love TGC – Flower and flOw are masterpieces, but Journey was horrrrrrrrrrrible.

+ DelicaGunz on August 12th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

I am excited to have these amazing games on the new console!!

+ Sharingan_itachi on August 12th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

But not for Vita. Amazing

+ nnn222 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:49 am said:

better be cross buy !

+ Rockstarmd on August 12th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

Will the Unfinished Swan allow me to use my Move controllers that are starting to gather dust? I hope you guys are working on more Move titles for Ps4.

+ madmanwithabox12 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

Vita is left out yet again. Great… <__<

+ gerneric123 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

I thought Santa Monica said they were at least supporting Vita through their partner games. I guess they meant only through the use of a $400 accessory.

Oh well, based on Sony’s other Vita ports they probably would have been terrible on the platform anyway. It’s clear that Sony spent about $5 on some of them.

+ solidserpent on August 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

Does the cross buy work if you own this?

+ Mayoubaz2 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

We need deals for PS4 today

+ Mercenary09 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

For anyone wondering the trailer description on youtube for PS4 Journey says it is cross buy! Yay!

+ iREVOLTER on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

Guys?! No Cross-Buy like Sound Shape, flow and Flower ? C’mon Sony, I’m already used to cross-buy don’t do this to, dont do please.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on August 12th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

If not cross buy, I at least would like to see a discount for the ps4 version of these games for those who supported / bought your game on ps3. Can you guys not look at people’s psn accounts and see who has bought the game previously? Not having a discount was the reason I didn’t buy Last of Us on PS4 (I have the digital copy, so I couldn’t trade it in). Will get it when it’s super cheap during the holidays, but if you guys want people to buy the ps4 upgraded games “day 1″, then I suggest doing discounts… even a $5 cut makes a difference to fans!

+ oo7PorscheMGS on August 12th, 2014 at 8:00 am said:

Oh and Journey is one of my top 5 games of all time :) Unfinished Swan had an awesome artstyle too, but Journey’s “journey” and ending was so effective. Can’t wait to see Journey in 1080p! I do think there should be an option added in-game to see the names of who you are playing with (instead of having to wait until the credits to see who you played with).

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

Hey everyone, to answer the constant cross-buy question so it doesn’t keep getting asked in every ensuing comment, YES both games will support cross-buy.

As a cross-buy title, once Journey or The Unfinished Swan is downloaded you will be able to download it for free on any other platform available through the PlayStation Network, much like how fl0w, Escape Plan, and Flower were launched for PS4.

+ madmanwithabox12 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:08 am said:

Why no Vita support here? SSM said they were supporting Vita. Then this happens. Is there a reason? The Korean ratings board outed Unfinished Swan for PS4 AND Vita. But as usual, all Sony cares about is the PS4. Nevermind the other system you’re supposed to be supported.

Very disappointed in the way Sony treats the Vita. It becomes harder and harder to like what you guys do…

+ Davidgui on August 12th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

Will Journey be available for Cross-buy if you have it via The Journey Collection?

+ buttdiver on August 12th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Awesome! Will they be available at retail?

+ aDaMSeYMouR on August 12th, 2014 at 8:13 am said:

@26

Yeah, it would be cool if there was something that you guys could do for people with the disc collection that we bought. Even some sort of modest upgrade pricing?

+ LaochEire on August 12th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

Take it that those of us who bought the Journey Collector’s Edition will be left out in the cold like with Flower and Flow?

No offence meant, but that CE is turning out to be one hell of a waste of money. Would have loved to play Flower and Journey again on PS4. For those that bought it digitally they get PS4 versions while those who bought physically do not. :(

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

@18: Don’t exaggerate. Flower and flOw ports were great. Done by the same people that did these if I remember right.

And Sly was great. GoW is fine, even if it’s got half the frames of the PS2 version. Didn’t bother with R&C since it’s digital only in NA because in that regard Sony really don’t care.

+ gold_og_roger on August 12th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Looking forward to Journey on PS4. I missed out on playing it on the prior generation of hardware, as I got my PS3 late in the cycle. I hear good things. I hope it lets us play with PS3 players. Crossbuy as well please!

+ Zonnes on August 12th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Hi Aaron, I know that I might be in the tiny minority of people when I say I wish Journey had a Stereoscopic 3D mode for the PS4 version, but I just believe an S3D option would make the Journey experience even more ethereal than it currently is!

Is it at least possible to pass that idea along to Tricky Pixels? Ultimately, they could play around with it a bit and see if it’s worth it or not.

Thanks!

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

both Tricky Pixels and Armature Studios are focusing on targeting 60FPS and native 1080p for some pretty stunning visuals that will pop off the screen like 3D in my opinion. An outright 3D feature however, not in the cards, but we appreciate your ethereal enthusiasm!

+ FifthDream on August 12th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

That’s really great news! I was hoping this would happen someday. Thee are two games i’ve heard a lot about and always wanted to play, but never had a chance to before. I’m very excited about this news, and am looking very much forward to their release on PS4.

+ MINI-TAUR on August 12th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

since they are focusing to bring the games up to 60fps; can we just call them remastered editions? it almost seems right doesn’t it?

+ Ghost_Six6 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

If I have the PS3 version, do I get the PS4 version for free or at least a discount?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

As noted about, but now in Red once again, yes cross buy will be supported

+ moecage on August 12th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

God Of War…..

+ sbaradan06 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

I purchased both Journey and Unfinished Swan when they came out on PS3. So will I be able to download them to my PS4 for free? Or are these different versions?

+ nagids on August 12th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

If I had the collector’s edition for ps3 I can journey on ps4? sadly I can’t with flower, so hope that work for journey ):

+ RAOH92 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

That is awesome news!! I’ve been looking for an excuse to revisit Journey. Thanks guys!

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:44 am said:

’bout time! Journey’s been a shoe-in, but great on TUS, too! I’ll…prolly blast through ‘em again, should I ever finally get a PS4. Ah, but I still have that “use 3 paint globs or less in the bleach-white beginning” challenge to overcome…

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Ah, right, Vita! But then… Journey’s lose something without its passive online functionality, and TUS is alleged here to be Move-centric (though I’ve as yet played with anything but a DualShock). It’d be nice, but something might be lost by the platform’s nature.

+ groovyone on August 12th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

I also have the disc version of Journey/Flow/Flower. Any word on those of us who went retail getting the PS4 versions?

+ LaochEire on August 12th, 2014 at 8:49 am said:

@42 Yeah, the word is “tough”

+ GrafUlrich88 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

Hey Aaron,

I’m looking forward to both these games for the PS4. I never got them on my PS3 (I know what the heck was I thinking). Please pass on a big thank you to all the team members working hard to bring these to the PS4.

Cheers!!!

Graf

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

ABSOLUTELY! THANK YOU

+ SeanStrange on August 12th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

This is great news. I’ll play through these two again on my PS4, that’s for sure!

+ frdjck108 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:02 am said:

Good News! I will buy them both day one for sure.

+ plaztiksyke on August 12th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

I loved both of these games, despite the produers in Santa Monica watering down the more hilariously adult aspects of Unfinished Swan. (I was really hoping an alternately-rated DLC that put the jokes back in would come out.)

I just can’t believe that 3DTV support is being passed on AGAIN. Nearly every PS2 “remaster” that came out on PS3 had 3DTV support (God of War, Prince of Persia, Sly Cooper,…), and some of the best-looking games on PS4 are “remastered” PS3 games that support 3DTV (Trine 2 and Zen Pinball 2). I originally hypothesized that Sony marketing didn’t want to “confuse” consumers, so all mention of 3D (including 3D Bluray) was held off. Well, we’re WAY beyond the launch window, and no one is confused — everyone wants to see the next level of what PlayStation can do with 3D, Move, etc with the PS4. We all expect XboxOne to have to cotinually gimp the experience to compensate for their poor hadware design choices, but this is ridiculous coming from PS4.

+ plaztiksyke on August 12th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Will the audio assets in both games be 24-bit FLAC/lossless? flOw’s audio got a really nice upgrade in the transition to PS4, and Journey had an absolutely AMAZING soundtrack.

Will Unfinished Swan retain its Move support?

I’m really disappointed that Flower, and now Journey, won’t have 3DTV support. At least they’ll be free.

PS: Flower on Vita is still unplayable due to sub-native resolution and bad LOD streaming. It’s impossible to see what flowers still need blooming by fliying higher and getting a “bird’s eye” view, as between the sub-native resolution and extremely low LOD at that distance, the flowers (bloomed and unbloomed) all look the same. Please fix and stop filling the VIta with unsupported first-party shovelware like its a Wii.

PAGE 1 2