God of War

Dec 06

bastionlead

Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year

bastionlead

Greg Kasavin's Avatar Posted by on Dec 06, 2014 // Creative Director, Supergiant Games

It is the year 2013: Supergiant Games, a small game studio based in San Francisco, California, is showing its forthcoming video game, Transistor, for the very first time at PAX East, a video game convention in Boston, Massachusetts. That was seven commas in one sentence.

Bastion PSX

Everything is going better than expected. Game players are waiting upwards of three hours — three hours! — just to play a brief demo of the game. Afterwards they say various nice things to the development team. But then! Along come representatives from Sony Computer Entertainment America, a large division of a large international electronics corporation known for its PlayStation brand of game consoles. The Sony representatives also play the Transistor game and afterwards they also say various nice things. The following week, the Supergiant Games team is at Sony Computer Entertainment’s California headquarters to discuss bringing Transistor to Sony’s forthcoming PS4 console…

…That’s more or less how it all started with us and the PS4. And if it sounds a little surreal, I can assure you, it has been. A matter of months after we first revealed Transistor to the world, our studio director Amir and I found ourselves up on stage at Sony’s E3 media briefing, announcing that Transistor would be making its console debut on the PlayStation 4. Then, on May 20th earlier this year, our team delivered. And the response to the game from players around the world has been everything we could have hoped for. We’re grateful to everyone who tried Transistor — it’s always great to hear from you about your experiences with the game.

Bastion PSX

Something else came up in when we first started talking to the folks at Sony about bringing Transistor to PS4: our first game, Bastion.

Bastion’s shown incredible staying power for a game originally released in 2011. That year, Bastion earned more than 100 industry accolades, and to date it’s sold more than 3 million copies. But for one reason or another it had never come to PlayStation. We realized maybe it wasn’t too late.

That thought lay dormant in our heads, as we focused on making Transistor as best we could. If all went well, we could look into bringing over Bastion afterwards. And, here we are, announcing that Bastion’s coming to the PS4 and the PS Vita next year!

The PS4 version of Bastion will be playable at the PlayStation Experience event this weekend in Las Vegas, where we’ll be excited to meet many of you and get your impressions. Since Transistor was the first game from our studio to release on a Sony platform, we expect that for many of you, this will be your first opportunity to play the game that made Transistor possible.

Some quick facts about Bastion for PS4 and Vita:

• Bastion for the PS4 and Vita will be available sometime in 2015. Stay tuned for more-specific details on pricing and availability.
  • Bastion for PS4 and Vita will support Cross Buy, so if you purchase either, you’ll be getting both those versions of the game. We’re looking into supporting Cross Save, where your saved data transfers seamlessly between devices.
  • We’re working with the team at BlitWorks to create these new versions of the game. BlitWorks is behind great PS4 and Vita translations of great games like Spelunky and FEZ, and we couldn’t be more impressed with the work they’ve done so far.

Bastion PSXBastion PSX

If you’ve played Transistor before, you’ll find that Bastion was created with the same set of values: It’s a game you can pick up and start playing immediately, designed to draw you in with rich atmospheric storytelling and tight responsive gameplay. Other than that, though, the experience of Bastion is very different — an action role-playing game with an emphasis on the action, and whose reactive narration system makes for a memorable and personal tale.

Here at Supergiant, Bastion will always hold a special place in our hearts. We hope it can do the same for you.

All the news from PlayStation Experience

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End First Gameplay

MLB 15 The Show Out 3/31 for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita

Destiny Expansion I: First Look at the PS-Exclusive Mars Strike – The Undying Mind

Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 – The Time is Right!

The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror Comes to PlayStation

Madness Awaits You…In the Darkest Dungeon

Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year

Orcs Must Die! is Invading PlayStation for the First Time!

Skytorn Coming to PS4

Severed Coming to Vita in Spring 2015

Shovel Knight Digs into PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2015

Batman Arkham Knight: Ace Chemicals Infiltration Part 3 and a First Look at the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions

Suikoden II Coming to PSN

Street Fighter V: Console Exclusive to PS4, First Gameplay Video

Super Time Force Ultra Headed to PS4,Vita

Tim Schafer on Why You Need to Check Out Grim Fandango on PS4 & PS Vita

Fat Princess Adventures announced for PS4

Introducing Wattam, the new PS4 game from Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi

Enter the Gungeon Coming to PS4 in 2015

Introducing What Remains of Edith Fitch, a New PS4 Exclusive

The Order: 1886 at PlayStation Experience

Tearaway Unfolded: New Trailer Revealed

Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience

New No Man’s Sky Videos Revealed

Drawn to Death, a Hand-Drawn Arena Shooter, Coming to PS4

Introducing Project SkyLight: Limited Edition Faceplates to Personalize Your PS4

+ pPpPancakes on December 6th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Ah, that’s great! I haven’t played the PC release despite owning it, so I will try it out on my Vita. I hope Cross-Save is supported at release.

Greg Kasavin's Avatar

+ Greg Kasavin on December 10th, 2014 at 9:39 am said:

Thanks!!

+ dkarlowicz10 on December 6th, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

I can’t believe it. This is awesome. I have a PS4, but I will be playing it on my Vita.

+ italodancemp3 on December 6th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Great news thank you guys :)

+ Ikusa02 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:22 pm said:

Sounds like a fun time on the Vita =D Thanks guys!

+ plaztiksyke on December 6th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

awesome! so glad to see this coming to Vita, especially! I just don’t like playing many games on iPad because of all the ads and in-app purchases (not that Bastion did that).

the Fez port to PS3/4 supported 3DTVs, will Bastion also support 3DTV on PS4?

Greg Kasavin's Avatar

+ Greg Kasavin on December 10th, 2014 at 9:41 am said:

Hey we don’t have plans for 3DTV support at the moment though we haven’t necessarily ruled anything out…! Thanks for your interest in this.

Excited for a Vita version of Bastion here too. The portable nature makes the narration feel even more personal somehow than on a big screen.

+ Kchow23 on December 6th, 2014 at 1:00 pm said:

I have held off from purchasing Bastion for YEARS! So glad that I can finally play it on PlayStation! :)

+ Kishnabe on December 6th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

Purchased this on steam months ago…since I thought this will never come on Console.

Thanks, will pick it up for the Vita..

+ sandkwithhp on December 6th, 2014 at 1:24 pm said:

I can’t wait!

+ MyrequeArk on December 6th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

Oh my god, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

THANK YOU.

I’ll buy it, day one. Pinky swear and everything.

THANK YOU.

Greg Kasavin's Avatar

+ Greg Kasavin on December 10th, 2014 at 9:41 am said:

Much appreciated!

+ RoD_GX on December 6th, 2014 at 2:02 pm said:

This game makes perfect sense on the Vita, thank you WB, for supporting the handheld.
Also, I hope the PSVita edition is no different than the console one.

Looking at the screenshots reminds me of Pavilion on Vita, not sure why.

+ aernth on December 6th, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

Very pleased for the news. Now, how about Transistor for Vita as well? I’ll say ‘please’ as many times as required…

+ Lukaf127 on December 6th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

Seriously? now? I already played it on PC years ago!!! is a great game though, but I may won’t buy this again, if this comes out earlier I definitely will buy it, because is a perfect fit for PSV. But is too late now.

But I will consider to get PSv version if it has so improvement amount the pc, dlc or something could be awesome.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on December 6th, 2014 at 3:57 pm said:

OMG THANK YOU SUPERGIANT!!!

I loved Bastion on Steam and Transistor on PS4! I swore that if this came to PS4 I would buy it and I stand by that. The fact that you made it cross buy is even better! Day 1 for me.

+ Elvick_ on December 6th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

As someone who has nagged you about it on twitter and here, I’m thrilled. Can’t wait to buy it again and finally finish it on Vita. [I don’t like playing on PC much, and the mobile version isn’t how I want to play the game]

Greg Kasavin's Avatar

+ Greg Kasavin on December 10th, 2014 at 9:43 am said:

Right on…! For sure the ongoing interest in seeing Bastion come to PlayStation platforms factored into our decision to make it happen, so thank you for your support!

+ magooser on December 6th, 2014 at 4:48 pm said:

Nice!

+ applekwisp on December 6th, 2014 at 6:08 pm said:

Good news, but Transistor on Vita would be much more desirable at this point.

+ GStylez1980 on December 6th, 2014 at 9:12 pm said:

I’m beyond thrilled to see Bastion on PS platforms (finally!). I bought the game for my iPad, but just couldn’t get into it with the virtual controls. This game will be PERFECT on my favorite handheld ever, the PSVita! And I will second the request of my blog ages above for Transistor on Vita as well. :)

Follow me on Twitter: @brg_esq
Friend me on PSN: GStylez1980

+ InevitableChevy on December 6th, 2014 at 10:23 pm said:

Um… heck yes! I haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but I know from others it’s an amazing game and so glad it’s coming to console. I can’t wait to get my hands on this! This has been one of the, if not most exciting, news I’ve heard yet from PS Experience. :)

+ ProxyArcane on December 6th, 2014 at 10:56 pm said:

Transistor was great and this one looks just as promising. I’m hoping for a release during the summer drought when there are no AAA games coming out.

+ Daishi5571 on December 7th, 2014 at 12:03 am said:

Bought but never finished on the PC. Guess they will take my money again, and I will be glad of it. Bring home the Vita love! I may need to order a second 64GB memory card soon.

+ Rainwater on December 7th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

Great, now maybe I’ll pick up Transistor.

+ Neil on December 7th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

Owned an Xbox 360 but never got around to trying this game out. After all of the accolades I will give it a shot for sure this time around.

+ ishralene09 on December 7th, 2014 at 7:17 pm said:

Yeah! I’ve been waiting for this announcement for a long time now. I own Bastion on PC, but I don’t own a gaming PC myself (I’ve used office-issued powerful laptops, but not mine so yeah), so this is a good thing.

+ PanTheMan16 on December 9th, 2014 at 5:45 am said:

Amazing game. I have listened to the soundtrack countless times.