Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jan 29

mlb15

MLB 15 The Show New Details, Worldwide Gameplay Reveal Feb. 5th

Ramone Russell's Avatar Posted by on Jan 29, 2015 // Community Manager & Game Designer, San Diego Studio

Spring is just around the corner and that means life is about to get a whole lot better. Baseball fans across the world relish the return of America’s great pastime along with the return of peanuts, Yasiel Puig, Matt Vasgersian, and of course, MLB 15: The Show. As many of you are excited for the new MLB season to begin, the team here in San Diego is just as excited to show you everything we’ve been working on for MLB 15 The Show.

MLB 15 The Show

Take a look at some of the features we’re particularly proud of below. Be sure to head over to The Show Nation to see the full feature list.

Year-to-Year Saves

(PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

Users who purchased MLB 14 The Show will be able to continue their Franchise and Road to the Show progress in MLB 15 The Show with the Year-to-Year Saves feature. Saves between the two versions will be forward-compatible, meaning you don’t have to worry about starting your Franchise or Road to The Show seasons over!

Gameplay Improvements

(PS4 & PS3 Only)

• Advanced AI logic results in outfielders taking more realistic routes to the ball
  • Upgraded motion system allows for dynamic speed matching from run to catch to throw
  • User controlled cut offs
  • All new slide and tag system
  • New speed paradigm for fielders and base runners
  • Enhanced ball physics for pop ups, fly balls, and shots into the gap
  • Dynamic pitch breaks: allows for more realistic pitch recognition when batting
  • Simplified Analog swing controls
  • Dynamic Difficulty 2.0
  • New situational base covering intelligence allows for new animations to play when a player has time or is in a hurry to get to his base
  • More than 70 new situational third out fielding animations
  • New Input Type option for hitting
    • We’ve separated swing input as a separate option

Licensed Equipment

(PS4 & PS3 Only)

For the first time ever MLB The Show will include licensed equipment from some of the most recognizable brands in baseball. Earn as you play to enhance your RTTS or Diamond Dynasty players and partner with iconic brands by bringing sponsorships to your Franchise team!

(Equipment on PS3 version is not seen during gameplay.)

Graphical Improvements

(PS4 Only)

• Real-time seasonal sun and shadows
  • Player Skin tone realism. More variations of skin tones with gloss and specular improvements
  • Revamped night lighting
  • More accurate and photorealistic rendering system
  • PS4 gets 10 more Minor League stadiums

Franchise Mode Refresh

(PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

With the addition of General Manager Contracts, you now have to consider Ownership Expectations when running your team, and your performance will determine the job offers that come your way. Building a championship-caliber team is more fun and dynamic than ever before, with the new Performance-based Player Progression, as well as much improved Trade and Contract logic. Partner up with Brand Sponsors, giving your broadcast elements an official sponsor and earn some extra dough to spend on your team.

Directional Hitting Interface

(PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

Featured for the first time in MLB 15 The Show is the new Directional Hitting interface, which allows you to influence the direction of your hits in real-time while you swing. Using the L-Stick, you can attempt to influence fly balls, ground balls, pushed hits, pulled hits, or any of those in combination.

Universal Rewards

(PS4 & PS3 Only)

• Virtual Baseball cards to be collected and easily assembled into a competitive Diamond Dynasty team
  • Licensed Bats, Gloves, Batting Gloves, and Cleats that enhance your Road to the Show or Diamond Dynasty players’ abilities
  • Brand Sponsorships for your Franchise team that spice up your in-game interface and earn your team some extra income
  • Collect entire teams to unlock MLB legendary alumni players from each MLB team
MLB 15 The Show

Legends

(PS4, PS3, PS Vita)

We partnered with the MLB Player’s Alumni Association to make a total of 30 Legends playable in MLB 15 The Show. Collect an entire MLB team, and you’ll unlock an iconic alumni player from that team. There’s one from each team, and though you’ll have to find or unlock the card to slot them into your Dynasty squad, you can simply opt in to utilizing the whole pool of Legends in your Franchise mode.

“Inside The Show” News Suite

(PS4, partial PS3)

Franchise, RTTS, and Season modes all feature a new suite of features centered on providing news updates from around the league. Inside The Show is a new radio broadcast that will be heard at the beginning of each new day and will discuss recent scores, notable performances, team news, milestones, records, standings, and more. In addition, the new League Updates panel, found in season based modes, gives the user a quick snapshot of updates from around the League so you don’t have to dig through multiple screens to get the basics.

As you can see, our goal this year was to build off the solid foundation of MLB 14 and expand on the game we love to make MLB 15 The Show the best baseball game ever made.

Worldwide Gameplay Reveal on Twitch

We’re also excited to announce the worldwide gameplay reveal of MLB 15 The Show on February 5th at 2:00PM pacific on Twitch. Tune in to the livestream via the San Diego Studio Twitch channel to get an exclusive look at MLB 15 and hear from our team on the features we’re most excited about for MLB 15. We can’t wait to show off what we’ve been working on and interact with our amazing fans!

MLB 15 The Show will be launching on March 31st for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita so stay tuned to our Facebook, Twitter, and Twitch pages for more info coming soon.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Bellalara on January 29th, 2015 at 9:22 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ gerneric123 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:23 am said:

Oh, now even Sony is releasing Roster Updates on Vita. Does the Vita version will have an online mode?

+ brandon698 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:26 am said:

Did they fix the diving ability? The computer dove too much in last years version.

+ wwwdotjames on January 29th, 2015 at 9:26 am said:

The game should just be called MLB THE SHOW and just have updates periodically thru out the future of this game. Instead re-purchasing the same game for $60 every year just charge for major updates like graphics and such! Stats should carry over every year from here on out in the franchise. I would buy if I didn’t have to fork over $60 a year for the same game! Thoughts?

+ Benmo316 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:30 am said:

These all look like good additions and tweaks. Still, my one pet peeve about The Show is the look of the dirt and grass. You’re running on PS4 now and it still looks like PS2 dirt and grass. Please, please update that look. But I still look forward to the gameplay reveal on the 5th and actually spending way too many hours playing it on March 31st.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 9:36 am said:

All the MLB stadiums will have updated dirt and grass.

+ BigTallChris on January 29th, 2015 at 9:30 am said:

Fantastick! Looks like I’m picking up MLB 15 The Show this year! What put me definitely on the buy side is “the Year-to-Year Saves feature.” Each time I buy a baseball video game, I try to play an entire season, playing each and every game as the home team. I know I’ll never make it through a season. But with this new Year-to-Year save feature, I just might get a chance to finish a full 2,430 game season…..probably sometime around 2019!

+ mgarc1125 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:34 am said:

Still no word on Sounds of the Show and PlayStation move support for PS4?

+ Supermoon11 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:34 am said:

Ramone,

Please tell me this version of the show is going to have cross-buy with the VIta, PLEASEEEEE!!

+ Rammel29 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:35 am said:

Loved last years installment, put a lot of hours into RttS. Keep up the great work and look forward to MLB 15.

+ Dareepa80 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:35 am said:

Can I bring my rtts from ps3 to 4? I plan on buying a ps4 and was wondering if I will be able to do that.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 9:36 am said:

Yes you can all the saves are compatible across all three platforms.

+ dizeeStL on January 29th, 2015 at 9:41 am said:

It baffles my mind how its now 2015 and you guys still don’t provide solid online play options like other sports games have. It would be pretty cool to do RTTS with a friend online or offer online coop gameplay vs other players instead of only the AI. Most importantly, it would be cool if you fixed your online so the lag was gone.

You guys do all these other things but neglect the online aspect every year, looks like another year I wont be buying MLB.

+ MATTLOJO on January 29th, 2015 at 9:41 am said:

I’m stoked! This is one of the main reasons I picked up a PS4 instead of X1. I love baseball and this game is jawdropping on PS4. I’ve pre-ordered digital for Vita and will probably pick up the PS4 version soon after! Keep up the great work!

+ ZoSam32 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:44 am said:

Will the PSVita version have any online multi-player capabilities? If so, which modes?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 9:48 am said:

No same as last year for Vita

+ Moneybalzs on January 29th, 2015 at 9:45 am said:

Was going to purchase if they changed out the announce team and improve the online play. it’s become obvious that this game will always have the same announcers and terrible online play. pass.

+ semajmarc87 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:45 am said:

One major problem with this game is the strike zone. Even if you go in the settings so that “all balls and strike calls are made perfectly,” many of the calls are still incorrect. The pitch track will show that the ball caught the strike zone but it was still called a ball anyway. This has been a problem since the beginning of the series. The entire ball DOES NOT need to be in the strike zone for it to be a strike.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 9:50 am said:

Our strike zone logic is based on 50% of the ball being inside the strike zone for a called strike. With variable umpires this varies and there was a bug last year on the on screen display for where the ball actually landed. That issue has been fixed.

+ JTStarkiller on January 29th, 2015 at 9:48 am said:

I love this series and look forward to it every spring. The year to year saves is absolutely welcome. Can’t wait to see how it works. That being said, the online lag is extremely frustrating. Network play has been broken the last few years. I beg you to fix this.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:12 am said:

Using year-to-year saves is easy you just select the option from the menu.

+ semajmarc87 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:49 am said:

Almost every player in MLB 14: The Show had facial hair for some reason. I hope they won’t do that again in MLB 15: The Show.

+ semajmarc87 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:50 am said:

I’m hoping that one day the MLB The Show series will have the real official Spring Training ballparks.

+ classicochapase on January 29th, 2015 at 9:54 am said:

If not many like me who only play in diamond dynasty and for me one of the things I most want to do is that huviera more options for creating uniforms . For example to put the logo you created in the sleeve of the shirt , you have more options for hats , eg you can put as orioles that is one color for the front and another at the rear , also change the shape of the shirt.

+ LiquidSnake34V2 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:55 am said:

Why do they insist on using Matt Vasgersian. I just wish they would change it up or at least make some dlc for different annannouncers!

+ semajmarc87 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:56 am said:

Thanks Ramon Russell for explaining the strike zone thing to me. I’ve been wondering about that for years. But I’d still like to know why you guys do it that way. A real MLB strike zone does not require you to get 50% of the ball in. I’m sorry to post so much, but I have been playing this series for a very long time and have a lot of questions and feedback.

+ LiquidSnake34V2 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:56 am said:

*announcers

+ joebsc24 on January 29th, 2015 at 9:58 am said:

Add a feature were you can charge the pitching mound or have a manager argue the call.

+ cowman318 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:02 am said:

Will the game have the option to open or close the roof of stadiums that have retractable roofs?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:13 am said:

Not this year

+ elchorno on January 29th, 2015 at 10:08 am said:

I only wish the Vita version wasn’t digital only :(

+ Brooklyn008 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:08 am said:

How about an “NHL SHOWDOWN 16”?

All those amazing features… Bring this to the most exciting sport… HOCKEY! :)

+ FriarGirl on January 29th, 2015 at 10:09 am said:

Russell – Will MLB 15 The Show have an updated Petco Park with the new video-board?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:14 am said:

Yes the updates to Petco will be in.

+ w0s on January 29th, 2015 at 10:11 am said:

Have you updated the bugs that have been there from the PS3 that carried over? Specifically getting called safe when you are clearly out when the pitcher throws over to the bag and also things like second base not stepping on the bag during a double play and still being called out?

Don’t get me wrong I’ve bought every year and want to support you guys but it seems like the same engine having the same issues. I don’t think this is about the umps missing calls either it is always the same animation on both.

+ Bly_factor on January 29th, 2015 at 10:17 am said:

Probably the same ****** broadcasters. – Like get new ones already dammit. These guys make awful calls.

I want broadcasters talking throughout my entire gameplay. Talking about around the league and such. Not just ****ing play by play broadcasters. plz SONY!

+ SeanStrange on January 29th, 2015 at 10:28 am said:

MLB 15 is shaping up to be awesome! Hopefully it’s better than 14

+ Rockyshot19 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:29 am said:

I was wondering if there is any way to incorporate actual minor league stadiums as like add on content? Cause I would love to play in some real minor league stadiums. Like I would love to play in Coca-Cola Park from the ironpigs and such. I’ve always wondered if something like that would of been done, the same with the historic stadiums like in past MLB The Shows.

+ Aqua_Dementia on January 29th, 2015 at 10:31 am said:

I have a question: how come last year the CPU controlled your runners? They would just steal and sometimes they wouldn’t tag up and take a base, and they would go back on a fly ball so that they could be thrown out. and they would keep running into an obvious out at home, **** like that got really annoying to the point that it wasn’t fun to play games anymore. This ****es me off, how you guys wait till the last min to show gameplay and its the same every year, and still expect us to fork over the money for the same garbage product, so what are you doing to improve that? Even on rookie it was impossible to hit anything cuz of the timing window, if its supposedly open to everyone including beginners, how does that help them learn the game? Fix it or I’m not buying again, especially if Puig is on the cover, Canada better get a diff one again

+ JoNoMercy on January 29th, 2015 at 10:31 am said:

Will there be any classic stadiums made available ? I would love to try and hit out of the polo grounds

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:34 am said:

Not on PS4 sorry

+ JKO5808 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:33 am said:

What is the roster cut-off for the default roster in this year’s game? Also, will we finally get Big Mac Land and the Cardinals’ legends posted on the left field wall of Busch Stadium, or will it just be Holliday, Molina, Wainwright, etc?

+ JTStarkiller on January 29th, 2015 at 10:34 am said:

Thanks for answering! Regarding year-to-year saves in RTTS, does it just pick up 100% where you left off, with the same rosters and everything, or do you just import your character and get picked up by a team again?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:45 am said:

You pick up right where you last saved your game.

+ Menloakz23 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:38 am said:

I would love to see an improvement over last years online play. I have been playing this game consistently for the past 7 years and mlb 14 was my shortest stint online. I understand that moving to the new ps4 platform was no small feat but the competitive online play that this game is known for suffered. Really excited to see the licensed gear available in the game and hope this will reflect in other modes beyond diamond dynasty or road to the show. Also it’s great to see an investment in the history of the game by adding legends. Not sure if there are any old ballparks like in previous PS3 versions but that was also a great piece of the game we lost to the past. Even as dlc. Your team has done a superb job of bringing baseball to life on the playstation platform. I always look forward to the start of the season. Baseball has always been better. Glad you guys have figured out how to keep it that way.

+ SeaBass618 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:41 am said:

To go along with JKO5808’s question, is ballpark village included this year for Busch Stadium?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:47 am said:

Is this a new addition to Busch Stadium?

+ Jethro_Bunson on January 29th, 2015 at 10:42 am said:

OK, first of all – I’ve played The Show every year it’s been around and I can honestly say – BEST SPORTS GAME EVER. The one major complaint I have with the game has to do with Zone Hitting (which I use exclusively). The problem is that when I don’t move the left analog stick AT ALL for a swing, it SHOULD have my swing exactly in the center of my strike zone. BUT, I’ve noticed that even if I don’t move it at all, the player usually doesn’t swing right in the middle of the zone (it moves left or right or above or below). Is there anything that can be done so that it lines up exactly in the middle of the zone if I don’t move it??

+ radioavon on January 29th, 2015 at 10:43 am said:

Seems like not much reason to upgrade my vita version…

+ Ruledafield4 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:47 am said:

Mr. Russell

I’m a little confused with the “licensed equipment” part, will we be able to use the licensed equipment in exhibition mode? Will we be able to edit colors of batting gloves and gloves and cleats, or will they come based on team colors? I’m sure you can’t name some of the brands as of yet, but will the look be up to date such as Brandon Phillips wearing the “power balance” wristbands, or will stuff like that not be in the game?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:53 am said:

Yes you can use licensed equipment in exhibition mode. You can also edit colors of batting gloves, cleats, etc…..

+ TWolfICP on January 29th, 2015 at 10:49 am said:

When fielding, especially first base, the camera always made it difficult to simply cover the base. Have any improvements been made to change this? Maybe pressing a button to automatically cover the base? Maybe not having the camera move all over the place, changing the direction your player is running? Something? Anything?

+ TWolfICP on January 29th, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

Will there be a Canadian cover? My vote would go to Russell Martin.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 10:57 am said:

Stay tuned!!

+ w0s on January 29th, 2015 at 10:53 am said:

Man all these answers and you can’t address mine :( My guess is that it will be the same.

+ bullstandsalone on January 29th, 2015 at 10:54 am said:

Ramone – Great looking updates! Awesome strategy to take to Twitch to show more of the game. Quick question: Has the replay system been tweaked/upgraded at all? I’d love to edit highlights using the television broadcast cameras.

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 11:02 am said:

Sorry it’s the same as last year. What type of upgrades would you like to see?

+ JKO5808 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:54 am said:

Yes. Ballpark Village is a huge addition not just to Busch Stadium, but the overall baseball atmosphere that is Cardinal Nation in St. Louis.

+ Ruledafield4 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:57 am said:

Ok sweet. One more question, the fielding gloves, will we be able to edit the web for player’s gloves or will the infielders gloves still have the “trapeze web” while outfielders have the conventional one finger glove with a “h web”?

+ Ramone Russell on January 29th, 2015 at 11:02 am said:

Yes you can edit webs now.

+ maximus27k on January 29th, 2015 at 11:19 am said:

Love the game, all I want is better online play, classic stadiums on the ps4, and each franchise having a classic team like nba2k.

+ RobJoye10 on January 29th, 2015 at 11:32 am said:

Hey Ramone just curious if you guys got the Braves retired jersey numbers updated? Chipper Jones was not in last year and they moved the numbers to the 1st and 3rd base lines and look like this “Chipper 10 Jones” Also do you think we will ever have the ability on ps4 to create our own stadium and offline team sort of like an expansion team? I kno EA had stadium creator in their NCAA baseball series and it was great and All Star baseball 05 had expansion team and it was also great. Thanks for making such a great baseball game year in and year out

PAGE 1 2 3 4