Days Gone

Oct 27

Oct 27

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer Revealed, Playable at PlayStation Experience

Robert Cogburn's Avatar Posted by Lead Game Designer

So it finally happened! The Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Multiplayer was revealed to the world. The trailer shown earlier today at the PlayStation press conference for Paris Games Week gave people a glimpse of all the hard work the Naughty Dog multiplayer team has put into it.

And hey, if you’re joining us at PlayStation Experience this December, you’ll be able to go hands-on!

Over the course of development for Uncharted 4 Multiplayer there have been a number of ideas that sounded great on paper, which were tried and failed. This happened time and time again but through each iteration there was one nugget of “that is cool” that we would cling to and bring with us into the next iteration. We were constantly applying our lessons learned on our previous experiences with Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, and The Last of Us which helped shape an incredibly exciting, fast, and deeply rich multiplayer game.

Uncharted 4, Image 06Uncharted 4, Image 11

Expect the teamwork, over-the-top action-adventure, and detail-rich gameplay environments you’ve come to expect from the Uncharted series Multiplayer mode. We have greatly enriched multiplayer with elements you may have caught in the trailer.

One thing we’ve done in particular is introduce a number of systems completely unique to Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Multiplayer.

• Sidekicks: When you are in a pinch you can call in your friendly Sidekick to help you. These are unique, AI controlled characters that come equipped with unique abilities that can help turn the tide of a battle.
  • Mysticals: These are supernatural abilities from the Uncharted series that give a player unique powers. See if you can recognize what Mystical abilities we are showing off in the trailer.
  • Last, you will be able to leverage the grappling hook in a number of locations in our multiplayer maps. We have also heavily leveraged this exciting mechanic for our melee. Yes, you will be able to land on people and take them out –would you expect less?

Uncharted 4, Image 02

If you are at Paris Games Week, please join us at the PlayStation booth on the show floor to get your hands on our first playable demo of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Multiplayer. This demo will also be at PAX Australia from October 30th to November 1st, and at Lisboa Games Week from November 5th to November 8th.

If you can’t join us at one of these shows, you can gain exclusive access to the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer Beta by buying Uncharted: The Nathan Drake collection. The Beta will run from December 4th to December 13th, 2015.

We look forward to seeing you online in the final, full version of Multiplayer when Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is released worldwide on March 18th, 2016.

Add Your Own

amackey10 said:

October 27th, 11:17 am

Are you still targeting 60fps for U4’s multiplayer?

darksharkpt said:

October 27th, 11:18 am

show a gameplay in.game video please!

Reepicheep said:

October 27th, 11:26 am

Multiplayer looks amazing! I can’t wait to play the Beta!!! Naughty Dog you never fail to surpass expectations.
Uncharted has always been my favorite multiplayer and the only multiplayer I continue to play long after it’s release. I love it!
I have only one question…will we be able to play split screen in Uncharted 4 multiplayer like Uncharted 3? Me and my sister play together for hours and would be so disappointed if we weren’t able to do so in Uncharted 4 multiplayer.

elscarface said:

October 27th, 11:34 am

Beta Access for PS plus>?

amackey10 said:

October 27th, 11:36 am

You need the Nathan Drake collection. That’s your only way in. If you get the collection, you will need the disk to play it.

Septrelo said:

October 27th, 3:08 pm

+ amackey10 You need the disc version of the Collection to play the beta?

amackey10 said:

October 27th, 5:43 pm

No. You need this disk IF you get the disk version. If you get the digital version, you don’t need a disk.

ShiftyMiser said:

October 27th, 11:43 am

[St.] Silhouette will consider playing Uncharted 4 multiplayer in 2016. Be vigilant.

TaggSte said:

October 27th, 12:01 pm

Are there any co-op modes in the game?

FireCage said:

October 27th, 1:22 pm

I Hope so! =)

DarkOne_PR said:

October 28th, 12:48 am

REAALLY hope so! Splintscreen too

livingwithoutyou said:

October 28th, 7:57 pm

I read that there will be on the game details on various websites

XxT_I_K_IxX_PR said:

October 27th, 12:54 pm

So happy to see my favorite multiplayer of all times is coming back and it’s looking amazing! Naughty Dog, can’t be more proud. Hope customization is still very important :) Also, HATS!

FireCage said:

October 27th, 1:23 pm

The Multiplayer looks so amazing i wasn’t expecting those new features, looking forward to Uncharted 4! =)

Septrelo said:

October 27th, 3:12 pm

I wish there were more Sony games that weren’t shooters. How about some more AAA platformers? You’re missing out on tons of teenagers, women, and yes adult men, who aren’t FPS fanatics.

DarkOne_PR said:

October 28th, 12:44 am

Did u got Little Big Planet 3? Also Ratchet and clank is coming too… How About Rayman Legends?

insano_jaco said:

October 27th, 4:08 pm

That’s extremelly disappoiting that Naughty Dog is downgrading like Ubisoft.
The game was announced as 1080p@60fps target, later downgraded on single player to 30fps, now we don’t even have a mode with 1080p@60fps!

900p is ridiculous, we are in 2015, TVs are fullHD for years now, a first party game should be forbidden to deliver such a ridiculous performace!

It’s not a multiplatform game, it’s exclusive, you have ONE machine to deal with!
There are people playing in 4K, and you are delivering a heavy hitter like Uncharted @900p???

It’s a multiplayer mode, we need visibility, have a good look at distance, every pixel matters!

Naughty Dog, reconsider this, there’s a lot of unnecessary eye candy on this multiplayer video, vegetation, shadows, textures…
Remove a part of that and give 1080p@60fps, that’s what matters on a multiplayer mode!!!!

I really thought ND was superior than DICE, Ubisoft etc, but now… it’s really disappointing.

Not that excited anymore.

ReptileHand said:

October 27th, 6:06 pm

wait so people complained about a lack of 30 FPS for Uncharted Collection yet they complain about 30 FPS for singleplayer?

but I understand. My friend showed himself switching between 30 and 60 FPS on his Last of Us game last year, so I understand the frustration. I don’t understand it either but it must be something technical, somehow?

warezIbanez said:

October 29th, 12:22 pm

The beta is at 900p. That said, I think the final game should be at 1080p, 60 frames – Keep polishing that game, ND, I know you can do it!

Sean_Pierce said:

October 31st, 10:18 am

@ReptileHand Unfortunately there are people who view 30fps as a visual flaw, even though we’ve all enjoyed many games, including the Uncharted series, that way on the PS3. There’s a good number but under the minority spotlight that wants 30fps option for The Nathan Drake Collection (default in 60fps) while others are disappointed that the single player for Uncharted 4 is 30fps. I’m in the 30fps camp as the game felt more cinematic that way. And don’t get me wrong, it’s still a game in the end so 30fps is perfect for video games that play that way (24fps is the frame rate for actual films).

I really hope Naughty Dog changes their minds about providing us a 30fps lock like The Last of Us Remastered provided. I’m really surprised they didn’t retain that for The Nathan Drake Collection. I wrote a blog post about it (copy and paste this if you want to read it: http://bit.ly/1iugfCg ), tagging Naughty Dog and some of its individual members on Twitter with it, in the hopes it gets their attention. I doubt it’s working unfortunately. I mean if they think 30fps is that bad, they wouldn’t even be doing it for Uncharted 4’s Single player. It’s not like the game was unplayable when it was 30 to begin with.

Strangeheaven said:

October 27th, 7:35 pm

If Naughtydog can’t get Uncharted 4 running at 60fps locked,then pass it on to Bluepoint Games.

Welmosca said:

October 27th, 9:18 pm

Aaagh damn came here expecting to see the trailer since I missed the press conference.Really ND?…no video here on the Blog?…gonna make me search on YT?….writing this before watching of course and I really like REALLY hope you guys took an approach similar to UC2 which is the best online ever made along with TLoU.
Been praying for UC4 to not be like that garbage UC3 online.

IEF_Killzoner said:

October 30th, 1:32 pm

Agree 100 % Uncharted 2 was the best and still is Multiplayer action.

SeekAndDestroy80 said:

October 27th, 9:48 pm

The multiplayer looks horrible. Just as bad as uncharted 3 or worse. You guys ruined uncharted multiplayer by trying to do to much and adding to much garbage. Bring back the uncharted 2 multiplayer!!

DarkOne_PR said:

October 28th, 12:47 am

GTFOH kid. this looks awesome!

kuroithefirst said:

October 28th, 5:28 am

I agree, they make it for kids who will play it for 5 hours and then they’ll forget..

SeekAndDestroy80 said:

October 28th, 9:31 am

@darkone_pr. Says the guy who probably hides out somewhere on the map and try’s to earn kills from a distance instead of getting down in the middle of the fight where all the skilled players,action and fun is. What happened to the days when the only thing that would separate you from the rest of the pack was your skill. Not these stupid and cheap perks! If I wanted that garbage I would play cod!

IEF_Killzoner said:

October 30th, 1:34 pm

Uncharted 2 MP was awesome but U3 MP was garbage with the turbo sprinting , very unrealistic.

DarkOne_PR said:

October 28th, 12:46 am

Naughty God, PLEASE do a Heroes and Villains Skin Pack like in Uncharted 2!!! I loved playing as a Helghast and QUIMERA!

and Loved playing as Cole Mcwratch and Nathan Hale!

kingahmad90 said:

October 28th, 4:21 am

why ?
man just why ??
didn’t you listen to the feedback after the disaster that was UC3 MP ???
there is absolutely no need for these super power sidekicks nonsense , it actually will hurt the game
You’ve taken what made Uncharted 3 MP bad and made it even worse which is really hard to do
I swear to god I just don’t get it …….

PanTheMan16 said:

October 28th, 4:49 am

Agree 100%.

SeekAndDestroy80 said:

October 28th, 9:39 am

kingahmad90 said:

October 28th, 7:33 pm

do you guys think Robert Cogburn read this ?
    I hope so . at least he will something
    anything man lol

Blackmagic316 said:

October 29th, 6:33 am

Agreed.

IEF_Killzoner said:

October 30th, 1:35 pm

Agree 1000 percent.

PanTheMan16 said:

October 28th, 4:48 am

So, so, SO bad. UC2 had one of the best mutilplayer experiences that any of us have played. We don’t need all these silly powerups and whatnot. All that does is attempt to coverup poor gameplay mechanics. ND used to be great because they made games they were passionate about. Now, they are just followers who are looking to make as much money as they possibly can.

kuroithefirst said:

October 28th, 5:24 am

I remember times when they listened to their community…

SeekAndDestroy80 said:

October 28th, 9:40 am

Agreed!

kingahmad90 said:

October 28th, 4:41 pm

uc2 mp days will be missed :/
    I can feel you man , that mp was special , and it really makes me sad that naughty dog don’t listen to us , the fans .
    the mp for uc4 has soooooo much potential of being the best , the GOAT , yet this team try so hard to destroy it

kuroithefirst said:

October 28th, 5:22 am

Its disaster for everyone who loved previous games, they took off everything good about uncharted mp and they give us this… i’m speechless…

TheCraZyCloWn said:

October 28th, 6:13 am

Why is there no beta access for those who preordered?

cusman said:

October 28th, 8:32 am

The Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta will run from December 4th to December 13th.

saiyanknight87 said:

October 28th, 6:16 am

If you’re going to have mystic aka super natural elements in the game. At least give us the option for a mode without them! please. The MP for UC3 was annoying with those kickbacks that’s what these “Mystics” are just another name for Kickbacks. And it seems you all took elements from the last of us. At least give us an option to have the UC2 multiplayer or something on the PS4 something!

SeekAndDestroy80 said:

October 28th, 9:46 am

I see I’m not the only one who thinks UC2 had the best multiplayer. Yes please give us a UC2 mode!!

StingrayX said:

October 28th, 8:20 am

This looked freakin’ awesome!

cusman said:

October 28th, 8:30 am

The trailer for Uncharted 4 multiplayer looked really good. Very focused on fun. Look forward to trying it out when the Beta runs in December.

Future-Islands said:

October 28th, 10:00 am

Trailer looks amazing. Exciting to see some updates and fresh new ideas integrated into the MP. TLOU had its own special “flavor” or what have you, of MP and I think ND is creating that again here with Uncharted 4. It looks like a number of people are unhappy about these new additions, and that’s your prerogative, but I implore you to wait until you try it. A trailer is no reason to swear off ND.

Fbh- said:

October 28th, 10:32 am

Looks great but I just read that it will once again not have dedicated servers.
You’d belive that now that we are required to pay to play online Sony would at least provide dedicated server for their exclusive games, but no

NadineLWilkins said:

October 29th, 5:26 am

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $100 per hour. I work through this link. wallstreet34.com

kingahmad90 said:

October 29th, 5:42 am

how fascinating , tell me more

Blackmagic316 said:

October 29th, 6:32 am

All Naughty Dog has to do is put a multiplayer mode mode in Uncharted 4 that plays like uncharted 2 and they will be golden. Idk what this is but at the moment I am just looking forward to that single player. I am not the only one who feels this way either. So So and Naughty Dog please listen. Please Keep it Simple and just add a multiplayer mode that plays like uncharted 2, keep the speed but also keep it simple.

IEF_Killzoner said:

October 30th, 1:38 pm

I think the team that did Uncharted 2 Multiplayer have been fired or quit and the new team doesn’t know how to bring back the Uncharted 2 experience.

xierxu said:

October 29th, 6:54 am

I haven’t dip my toes in the PS4 swimming pool yet because Uncharted has not been add ecosystem. Uncharted 4 is a cookie and I’m the cookie monster.

kingdavid-30 said:

October 30th, 4:19 pm

Yes, same here! I’m waiting till March to get my ps4 along with UC4!

PSN:H0b0withShoTGunn

jonnyblaze1035 said:

October 30th, 6:38 pm

Uncharted 2 had the best multiplayer. Why did you guys change so much when most people liked it just the way it was? Take a step back to what uncharted use to be!!

Sean_Pierce said:

October 31st, 10:21 am

Please Naughty Dog, reconsider providing a 30fps lock for The Nathan Drake Collection like The Last of Us Remastered provided. 30fps is not a flaw.

Arcadian_Rebel said:

November 1st, 11:08 am

Please, Naughty Dog, listen to myself and the others and bring back the Uncharted 2 multiplayer formula. This multiplayer is what catapulted the series to where it’s at today. Uncharted 2 was and still is the best MP game I’ve ever played. Let’s change that with Uncharted 4!