PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Sep 03

Sep 03

Official Bluetooth Headset for the PLAYSTATION 3

Anand Agarwal's Avatar Posted by Sr. Manager, Platforms Marketing

Hey everyone, I’m Anand Agarwal, Product Manager for PlayStation Peripherals. Two weeks ago, we informed you about the Wireless Keypad for PS3, and today we want to tell you more about the official Bluetooth Headset for PS3 that we unveiled during SOCOM Media day.

PS3 Bluetooth

This headset will be offered in one retail version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation this October, as well as a standalone peripheral this fall. It features a prominent Mute button and a Charging Cradle. It will work with not only your PS3 but with Bluetooth enabled cell phones. But this is information that you already know about. Today we want to talk about some really cool features of this Headset that we have been working on behind the scenes. These features will be unlocked by the PS3 through a firmware update that is scheduled for this fall.

• The headset will feature “High-Quality (HQ) mode” with PS3. In this mode, the headset will take advantage of advanced voice technologies and noise cancellation techniques to provide clear and wideband voice input to the PS3. The HQ mode will ensure a much better voice chat quality on the PS3.
  • HQ mode will also enable accurate speech recognition required to support or enhance ‘Voice Command’ and ‘Voice Animation’ features. Voice Command was originally used in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2 to administer the AI-controlled teammates using the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE format (example: Bravo, Attack, Nav Point Zulu). Voice Animation refers to the in-game character mimicking you during voice chat. With HQ mode, these features can be enabled on a much larger vocabulary in select PS3 games.
  • PS3 will display an in-game status indicator exclusively for this headset that will show the headset’s connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status.
  • Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.
  • Last but not least, the headset will automatically pair with the PS3 by connecting with a USB cable.

SCEA was one of the first companies to popularize VoIP technology within a console videogame through SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2. As you can see, we have made a great effort to expand on this legacy and develop the most compelling headset for the PS3 community. We are really excited to bring it to market this fall with the SOCOM: Confrontation bundle ($59.99 MSRP) and as a standalone peripheral ($49.99 MSRP).

Add Your Own

Wildy said:

September 3rd, 4:43 pm

When will be solved the actual problem between bluetooth headsets and certain games (Warhawk for example)..? Thanks.

willacuz said:

September 3rd, 4:47 pm

“Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.”

holy god, thats a great feature.

glody said:

September 3rd, 4:51 pm

I will be picking this up for sure! Great stuff guys! Keep up the great work on this blog. :b

firehahahahahaha said:

September 3rd, 4:52 pm

Too bad this didn’t come with Warhawk:(. I’ll probably buy it anyways

viprdude said:

September 3rd, 4:54 pm

The headset detailed provides a lot of promise. It looks like a great piece of technology! I cannot wait til SOCOM comes out so I can use this headset.

SpikeDX said:

September 3rd, 4:56 pm

are there any plans to include this with ps3 bundles? it would make the psn alot stronger if everyone that bought a ps3 would have that headset included.

TwilightToxin said:

September 3rd, 4:57 pm

Awesome! Definitely going to get this. 1 question though, When docked is the microphone good enough to detect my voice across the room like my EYE? and Will the HQ mode work with other microphones, or is it strictly a feature in the Headset.

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

September 3rd, 5:05 pm

Yes, when docked the microphone will detect the voice from across the room just like the Eye. The same engineering team that developed the Eye also developed this headset. The HQ mode is exclusive to this Headset at least for the near future.

wizardpsp said:

September 3rd, 4:59 pm

Good This is great!!!
Where are the PSN Cards???
And when latin america will be able in the PSN
we cant buy nothing on the store

SDkngsht said:

September 3rd, 5:03 pm

a blutooth headset that turns into a desktop mic when charging?! WTF?! and it’s 50 bucks but for $10 more i can get SOCOM on the PS3?

did christmas come early this year or what? christmas in the summertime. :lol:

TRULY…this post deserves a 6 out of 5.

Clinton514 said:

September 3rd, 5:05 pm

Pricey but I’ll get it I think. Well depends on if I end up getting SOCOM. My Warhawk Headset is almost worn out :(

XxBigP123xX said:

September 3rd, 5:09 pm

So can we turn off the option to use it as a headset when it’s in the cradle? I don’t think people want to hear my T.V. and I don’t want to hear theirs.

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

September 3rd, 5:58 pm

The headset will get powered off and go to charging mode when you first dock it in the Cradle (Cradle needs be connected to a powered USB port). After that if you want to use the headset in desktop microphone mode, you will power the headset on again and then it will connect with the PS3 and work as a desktop microphone.

Mana Knight said:

September 3rd, 5:15 pm

Awesome headset. Definitely buying myself. :D

IceCold said:

September 3rd, 5:15 pm

Dang now this is going to make me buy another headset.. I have way too many…

metaly said:

September 3rd, 5:15 pm

Sounds very tempting even though I already have a BT headset. However, I’m hoping the same firmware update that adds the in-game HUD for this thing finally fixes the headset connection issues that have been plaguing online since 2.40! When I’ve been playing Warhawk or GTA4 for an hour (or sometimes less) and suddenly I have to turn off the whole console just to get my mic working again, I almost don’t even want to turn it back on. It’s put a huge damper on my PSN gaming and I’m surprised it’s hardly been addressed or even acknowledged by Sony reps.

THATPSPGUY said:

September 3rd, 5:22 pm

HQ exclusive for the mic for now he says….. Nice I hope that in the not too too distant future like next spring(pure speculation on my part) that you lot will update the eye for this as well. See you just never know what is gonna come out. Best news all day. This will rock!

Stoffinator said:

September 3rd, 5:40 pm

I just pre ordered Socom today for the head set.

ocdog45 said:

September 3rd, 5:43 pm

crazy not to but this game now.

crystalx3d said:

September 3rd, 5:43 pm

@36 EvoAnubis
Really? Every time I type my user name and password and hit the submit button from within my ps3’s browser, the browser hangs and I have to restart the system. This is the only place (that I know of) that does this.

skaterricky said:

September 3rd, 5:48 pm

@36 how did you manage to sign in on your PS3 I tried and it always crashes my browser give me a tip bro!

Thanks Skater_Ricky, 8)

Nitrowolf2 said:

September 3rd, 5:49 pm

i hope this is bundle with KZ2 or other games, im not a big socom fan anyway but im tempting to buy

Ghostm said:

September 3rd, 5:50 pm

Let me make this clear. I’m only buying Socom because of the PS Bluetooth Headset! I saw a HD video of Socom from the PSN store. I wasn’t impress at all. The animations looked stiff and the graphics weren’t to hot at all.

Ostaf said:

September 3rd, 5:53 pm

Can’t wait for this.

Main reason why I am getting this game.

TheInfectedBy590 said:

September 3rd, 5:55 pm

Looking slick, can’t wait to get it!

Ghostm said:

September 3rd, 6:02 pm

Memo1205 said:

September 3rd, 6:04 pm

I have the one that came with Warhawk, So I think its time for a new one.

I guess you guys had this planned rigth? since there is a game comming out for PS3 exclusive, I forgot the name of the game “Eye something” where you can talk to the characters.. Can’t wait for this.

REDNAVE said:

September 3rd, 6:06 pm

*Is the cradle included in the socom bundle, the stand-alone, or both?
*Does the headset and/or cradle have any LEDs illuminate when on? If so what colors?

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

September 3rd, 6:10 pm

Cradle is included with both. It is an integral part of this Headset experience. Headset has two LEDs, one on the power button (green) and another on the mic mute button (red).

DarkPlanet said:

September 3rd, 6:07 pm

$50 dollars alone??? That is not cheap but with the bundle you’re saving $$$.

DrBingogh said:

September 3rd, 6:09 pm

Color me intrigued. If you can convince my wife we have to own this you can color me sold!

BlackShadows14 said:

September 3rd, 6:09 pm

I’d buy it if I didnt have a headset already. I know a friend who’s interested in buying a headset though, I’ll definitely recommend it to him.

XxBigP123xX said:

September 3rd, 6:14 pm

Thanks for answering.

Just one more easy question, do you have to hold down the power button to turn it on/off?

I know it’s a pretty minor thing but it’s just annoying with the Jabra headset :P

TheHater said:

September 3rd, 6:16 pm

Sony you are running me dry dammit. Now I need to get this headset because of the HQ mode :)

FreQaZoiD said:

September 3rd, 6:19 pm

Sweet! And only $10 more for the game? I’m in on day one!

REDNAVE said:

September 3rd, 6:26 pm

Sweeeeet, I’m sold! Two more quick questions:

*Is the in-game status indicator supported for ALL games or only select future titles?

*Will the status show up at the press of the PS button like a sixaxis, be displayed on screen while in-game, or only show up when the headset’s buttons are pressed?

Thanks for the prompt responses and keep up the good work!

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

September 3rd, 7:03 pm

In-game status indicator will be supported with all games for this headset. It is a PS3 system feature and not a game specific feature for this headset. The status will appear when you do something with the headset such as press a headset button or connect/disconnect the headset.

musashi1290 said:

September 3rd, 6:29 pm

74 Ghostm | September 3rd, 2008 at 6:02 pm

“Does this mean that you guys are going to be selling Socom for $10 via the PSN Store? When you do the math, it’s only worth $10.”

what are you talking about. The game alone is 40 dollars and the headset by it self is 50 but when you buy them as a bundle you get both at a much cheaper price.

PS fanboy said:

September 3rd, 6:59 pm

@anyone who knows

un-discovered said:

September 3rd, 7:02 pm

i might end up buying socom just for the headset.. sweet deal.

joostin said:

September 3rd, 7:04 pm

SOCOM baby! 60 doolers is sick too!

edwineverready said:

September 3rd, 7:08 pm

I already have a jabra and logitech usb headset, but at 10$ extra it’s a steal and i would be stupid to not buy it with socom, also the jabra gives terrible feed back sound sometimes when there are 2 jabra’s in the lobby or with some games.

Boudders said:

September 3rd, 7:14 pm

Will this work as a Bluetooth headset on a Windows PC? Does it support standard Bluetooth profiles for pairing with a desktop or laptop adapter?

O3EddyII said:

September 3rd, 7:15 pm

I waNt to get It!!!

Ghostm said:

September 3rd, 7:18 pm

You guys sure make some pricey products.

PS Chat pad: $50
PS Blue Tooth Headset: $50

Thought I am very excited about these products but I’m not happy with Sony’s prices.

steck_67 said:

September 3rd, 7:20 pm

Thats sexy. I already have a headset I can already use, but this is too damn sexy to just pass it on, and for this awesome deal there is no way I wont be getting this.

lakaihigh said:

September 3rd, 7:24 pm

ok sooo the headset alone costs 50 bucks while the game/headset bundle costs 60. How much is the game by itself? 20…30 bucks? Hopefully it will be priced accordingly if I just wanna d/l it off the PSN. I’ll be looking for more info later!

peace,
Lh

lakaihigh said:

September 3rd, 7:25 pm

@Ghostm – i don’t think they have clarified the price of the PS chat pad? if so do you have a link?

thanks,
Lh

musashi1290 said:

September 3rd, 7:26 pm

lakaihigh the game alone is 40 dollars for psn and game disc only

Mudpick said:

September 3rd, 7:27 pm

YAYZ! consider it bought!

I’m not a SOCOM fan either but this its like getting the game for only $10 more bucks, we obviously have to buy it with the game :p

musashi1290 said:

September 3rd, 7:30 pm

PS fanboy | September 3rd, 2008 at 6:59 pm

“@anyone who knows
if u will do the trade 3 games and get it free promo in EB games(gamestop), do u get the socomBTbundle or just the socom game?”

I dont think so all it says is that you have to preorder to get into beta.

S-E-G said:

September 3rd, 7:32 pm

HQ, nice!
will definitely pick this up.

viprdude said:

September 3rd, 7:32 pm

when will the firmware come out that will support this headset? it doesnt work with 2.42

FelonOnParole said:

September 3rd, 7:36 pm

Although I’ve grown tired of FPS I guess I should get the bundle then sell the game to make the price of the headset somewhat cheaper..