God of War

Jul 06

Jul 06

PlayStation Eye Chat: Demon’s Souls

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Over the last few months, Demon’s Soul’s has consistently asked-about games here on the PlayStation.Blog. That hasn’t been lost on North American publisher Atlus, who, late last week took some time to chat via the PlayStation Eye. Atlus PR Dude-and-Sometimes-Blog-Poster Aram Jabbari and Localization Guru Sammy Matsushima take on all of your Demon’s Souls questions here:

Oh, and that announcement they were teasing was this: Demon’s Souls is coming to North America on October 6.

Add Your Own

Tenan said:

July 6th, 3:00 pm

Alright, best birthday gift ever! October always seems to have good releases.

Bloody_Marcel said:

July 6th, 3:01 pm

I don’t get the reasoning behind dedicated USA only server.

You mention how experienced players can ruin the experience to newcomers, but as far as I can tell (I own the import version) matchmaking already happens on an XP level basis.

That is, you can only summon/be summoned/be attacked by players of about the same level as yours.

AKGermany said:

July 6th, 3:05 pm

Are the preorder goodies tied to specific retailers? Is there a cut off date until which a preorder must be placed to qualify for the cool stuff?

If I want to import the “stop importing edition” into Europe getting the preorder extras might become hard. Amazon doesn’t ship games to Europe and I don’t like using Gamestop.com because they’ve ripped me off on preorder goodies before (Mirror’s Edge bag).

Delriach said:

July 6th, 3:05 pm

The footage that I saw back when the game originally came out made me not want to get it… but I’ve been watching more and I think you guys may have a sale from me ;)

Hopefully the PlayStation Home clothes come to the US as well!

RGS-14 said:

July 6th, 3:06 pm

@Nich Maragos

Thanks for the reply.
The LE sounds great I’ll be sure to pick it up.
I’ve read that the LE will cost $69.99.Is this true?
And what stores are offering the pre-order bonus?
Thanks again!

Enigma777 said:

July 6th, 3:07 pm

Wow… I do believe this is the first 5/5 post on the blog…. Good job guys!

decimalator said:

July 6th, 3:10 pm

I’m looking forward to this one!

Also, a note for Jeff/Chris: Please name these as PlayStation Eye “Interviews” or “Developer Chats”. I keep seeing PlayStation Eye Chat and getting excited about in-game video chat. ;-)

Destiny89 said:

July 6th, 3:11 pm

Thank you everyone at the Psblog, i really like this pseye chat.. keep them coming.. why dont u guys do it next with Square Enix? that would be way too awesome .. cant wait for Demon’s Souls tho its a day one buy

Berae said:

July 6th, 3:12 pm

This game looks to be fun as hell, i love it when theres challenge
I will go pre order it for sure, this and uncharted are most most anticipated games

ShadowTalyis said:

July 6th, 3:14 pm

OK I was just trying to figure out if it was linear or where you have the freedom to walk from city to city it doesnt have to be as big as Oblivion just concept of exploration! So is alot of exploration like finding cave or is it more like Monster Hunter where you get quest and teleport to that destination?

waffman11 said:

July 6th, 3:17 pm

Any idea on what it’s going to be rated? it looks to me like an M- rated game, but i’m not so sure, they’re letting more titles into the T- ratings nowadays. Besides that, the games looks awesome, but I’ll already be shelling out all of my money to Insomniac and Naughty Dog this fall.

PoloM29 said:

July 6th, 3:19 pm

Wow, games looks and sound amazing..another game on the list for the fall collection.

Why must all this happen during a recession?? Lol…I mean just count how many games are coming out from the summer to winter seasons….

Gr00v3r06 said:

July 6th, 3:23 pm

I really like the Playstation Eye interviews. I great way to show the tech and enjoyable to watch. This game looks really nice. I know some RPG friends that want to get this game. I might try it myself as well.

Ragnar said:

July 6th, 3:24 pm

@ 57-

The logical name for these blog posts would be ‘Eye to Eye’.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

July 6th, 3:54 pm

Haha, I might have to steal that!

Finalsquall said:

July 6th, 3:31 pm

I love DS – it’s an awesome game and the single/online component is really refreshing. DS is the lt game I played when my ps3 ylod and it’s stuck in my ps3. I just I hope I get it back :(

Just wanted to know will the imported DS have the same updates etc as the NA Version?

ModernYorkster said:

July 6th, 3:31 pm

Will there be Voice Chat in the American Version?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

July 6th, 4:27 pm

There is no voice chat planned at this time. At our Anime Expo panel, the producer explained that one of the core design ideas behind the game was an online feature set that served as an enrichment of the singleplayer experience while keeping things like network overhead very low (i.e., not including features like voice chat).

VenomXv said:

July 6th, 3:31 pm

These PS Eye chats are awesome. Good interview. I was pretty close to importing this game after hearing about all of the positive feedback.

darkwonders said:

July 6th, 3:36 pm

Wow…. I didn’t even know this game existed until now. Looks awesome! Definitely gonna pick this up.

Quick question though-
Are you guys going to have trophies in the game?

SarshelYam said:

July 6th, 3:47 pm

@darkwonders

There are trophies! You can jump on and look at mine for the Asian release. Doubt they’d edit them for North America aside from some translation issues.

somethingatt said:

July 6th, 3:50 pm

Hm, trophies were made mandatory though for all games released after Jan 2009 on the PS3.

spunnups said:

July 6th, 3:51 pm

Awesome. I’ve been waiting for another game like Oblivion, this one is definitely it! Great Interview BTW Jeff.

RaymondBel said:

July 6th, 3:52 pm

Hi Jeff, you should realize that because of comment #31, everyone will be looking at what looks like your pass.

Now we have a better idea of the difference between playstation eye and the old eyetoy… did you use the microphone array on the playstation eye, because it sounds much clearer?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

July 6th, 3:57 pm

yeah, it\’s my access badge. I guess some readers are into our blog for the wrong reasons ;-)

Actually I didn\’t use the cam\’s mic in the video, because it changes the output settings (meaning I wouldn\’t be able to record my own voice), so I mic\’d myself up with a video camera as well. However, Aram and Sammy were hearing me through that mic.

OverlordSpike said:

July 6th, 3:53 pm

please please if you ever do release DLC for demon’s souls, dont make it region locked. i know of alot of people who imported this game not thinking it’d come out in english. dont make us not be able to get the dlc if there ever is any..

INTVGene said:

July 6th, 3:58 pm

Great game. Best I’ve played all year and thanks for bringing it to North America!

PullusPardusUS said:

July 6th, 4:01 pm

you see ATLUS , we PS3 owners love our RPGs XD

first day buy special addition :]

TwinDad said:

July 6th, 4:05 pm

<3 Atlus

Only games I even pre-order is from Atlus. I’m a big advocate against it, however I can’t resist a Atlus game. BTW, Awesome Plushie for Devil Summoner 2.

More soundtracks please. I listen to Persona 3, Persona 4 , and Eternal Poison Sound tracks while mowing the lawn, it makes the 2 hours fly by.

Ragnar said:

July 6th, 4:06 pm

@ Jeff- Go for it!

Chazberry said:

July 6th, 4:09 pm

Thank you for this interview, day one buy, I’m putting a reserve down for the CE when it becomes available.

Menchi said:

July 6th, 4:09 pm

Any word on a European release?

Also, if one is planned, any details on pre-order incentives?

I’m planning on importing if the game isn’t coming out in Europe.

jBat17 said:

July 6th, 4:10 pm

man, i need to file a vacation request for the whole month of october.. LOL.. this game will eat so much of my time for sure, like diablo 2 back in the days

can’t believe that this game comes out before diablo 3..

thegriefer said:

July 6th, 4:16 pm

Unless there is a great demo i dont think i will get this game during the fall.

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

July 6th, 4:16 pm

For all you fools asking if it’s exclusive, look at this video:

See this at the end of the video:

© 2009 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Licensed to and Published by Atlus Inc.

In other words, Sony owns the IP, so it’ll go to the 360 or Wii if Sony licenses it.

Question, will Atlus promote it? I don’t see a lot of PS exclusives being heavily promoted in the US, the only ones I can think of is inFAMOUS and Buzz Quiz TV, everything else either had crappy commercials or weren’t shown enough.

SarshelYam said:

July 6th, 4:18 pm

Menchi didn’t watch the video it seems…they said they can only hope the sales overseas and the sales they project here will get someone interested in picking it up for EU release.

Short answer, No!

Thrill_Kill said:

July 6th, 4:26 pm

Hey Jeff and Atlus staff, can you please tell me what are the specs of this game?

Is it 1080p or 720p native? Does it contain a 7.1 PCM soundtrack or DTS 5.1?

Trophys, Rumble, or Custom Soundtracks support?

HQ Headset support for online?

Full color manual? (like old times from Working Designs)

Artwork on the backside of the slipcase so that you see artwork when it is opened?

Music playback option in the options menu similar to the old 2D games and like what LAIR has? That would be nice.

I would like to see some Atlus exclusives on the disc like behind the scenes, and a making of the game as well. Perhaps even some outtakes.

Atlus is now the only company out there with porting quality like Working Designs, and I want to see this game get the 100% full Atlus treatment please.

Sorry if these were answered already, I haven’t seen this information posted anywhere. Thank you for your time.

Silent_Gig said:

July 6th, 4:27 pm

Im alittle annoyed theres no word on it coming to the EU, but im really surprised Atlus got to get more exclusive content like the art book for the US version.

Its almost like the game isnt good enough for a special editon in japan. So kudos to you guys for getting that extra stuff, thisll be one of the few games i buy twice!

Ragnar said:

July 6th, 4:31 pm

@ 84-

As far as I remember it is 720p native.

I don’t know about surround sound in the version I’ve got.

The Asian version of the game has trophies and rumble.

The online at present doesn’t have voice chat, and I honestly don’t think it would be necessary from what I’ve played.(unless you want to swear at the jerk that just invaded your game to kill you.:P)

Direxnipe said:

July 6th, 4:36 pm

NICE!! i cant wait. i’ve been playing my brother’s imported version, cant wait for this one to come out. about the Playstation Eye chats, i think it would be pretty cool to have a full on 6 person discussion with the eyes. thats the limit right? it would be pretty cool. you could even do your own talk show like thing like some other sights do where you talk about whats new and what people think is gonna happen. just a thought.

Direxnipe said:

July 6th, 4:36 pm

*lame spelling hahaha, sites not sights

inuyasha5400 said:

July 6th, 4:38 pm

jeff will we see more playstation eye chats like every week?

mastrofallz said:

July 6th, 4:46 pm

@31 (Jeff)

LOL! That was a classic comeback. :-)

JoshRockz said:

July 6th, 4:53 pm

This game looks awesome. Any chance of trophies?

Silent_Gig said:

July 6th, 4:56 pm

@91 yes thiers trophies, but thier extremely hard to get – it goes hand in hand with the games reputation

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

July 6th, 4:57 pm

@91

No there’ll be no trophies, they’ll actually remove the existing trophies they have now from the Asian version so that we don’t get any trophies in the American version….

INTVGene said:

July 6th, 5:01 pm

@93 you’re clueless.

BigRon3400 said:

July 6th, 5:04 pm

Thanks for using my question Jeff!

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

July 6th, 5:06 pm

@94

That went right over your head didn’t it?

Callahan09 said:

July 6th, 5:07 pm

There are trophies. Don’t know if they’ll be identical to the trophy list in the other versions, though. The trophy list in the Asian releases requires a minimum of 3 and a half play-throughs in order to get the Platinum. It took me 112 hours, 43 minutes to achieve the Platinum.

SarshelYam said:

July 6th, 5:07 pm

@84

480p / 720p
Linear PCM 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1

mastrofallz said:

July 6th, 5:22 pm

@91.

All games released after January 1, 2009 are required to have trophies.

JumpMan33 said:

July 6th, 5:42 pm

@Jeff

About Blazblue, I was thinking some maybe “behind the scenes” type of thing would be interesting.

Some questions I came up with off the top of my head:
What was inspiration behind the game and characters?;
What are the plans for future dlc?;
Whats in store for blazblue fans down the line?;
What advice would you give to pepole new to Arc System games and fight games in in general to get better at BB?;
What kind of difficulties did they run into when trying to achieve this amazing online netcode?;
What do they think about remote play on the ps3? and maybe a lot of user/fan questions.

Maybe the game does not need a interview, but I would just like to see the game get more exposure on the blog.

Either way, keep up the great work on the blog. IMO you guys give the best interviews on the net and hope to hear more about KOF12 from you guys.

Sorry about the large post. XD