Final Fantasy XV

Dec 31

Dec 31

Happy New Year from PlayStation.Blog!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

I wanted to use the last post of 2010 to take a quick look back and talk a bit about what we’re working on for early next year.

2010 has been a year of tremendous growth for the PlayStation Social Media program – average weekly page views have nearly doubled (to about 2 million), our Twitter followship has multiplied by a factor of more than 5 (to about 573K), and – this is the crazy one – Facebook fans have multiplied by over 10x (to 7.6 million). In a not-unrelated development, we added Sid and Rey to our team which have enabled us to be more responsive via those channels, place our videos on the front pages of IGN and Gametrailers, as well as publish roughly 10 extra stories per week. We were also named a Top 5 entertainment blog by Technorati, which tracks such things.

I’m also particularly proud of our PlayStation.Blog Share feature, which launched last Spring. Many tens of thousands you have participated, and more than 50 ideas have been enacted to date. While the Social Media team can’t take credit for those (we don’t actually make these things happen), you should know that having all your ideas in one place has made it much easier for people throughout the company to know what you’re thinking. I’ve actually sat in on meetings where ideas submitted to share were pored over, one at a time. That’s the whole point, right?

So, enough patting ourselves on the back – here’s what we’re working on for the first few months of this year:

A full, from-the-ground-up redesign: We’ve been tracking which Blog features are most important to you (you’re voting with your clicks). We’ve taken that data and are pretty far along with a redesign that prioritizes big news, PlayStation Store content and older stories while vastly improving search, and making it easier for you to participate and share stories that are important to you with others. Also: it’s way nicer looking, as we’re sick of being the Euro Blog‘s less-attractive cousin. Look for this to roll out by Mid-March.

More unique stories: In 2011 we’ll be bringing you more PlayStation posts you won’t find elsewhere, in addition to the usual reams of daily news. Sid’s putting the finishing touches on a multi-part “Monsters of PlayStation” feature as we speak.

Coming to you: We haven’t locked anything in yet, but I’m eyeing some Blog meet-ups in places that we haven’t been to much, especially in the South and East. More details soon, but the first 3 months of the year should see us in a variety of places.

That long-promised podcast: By end of March. At the latest. We’re taking suggestions on names, btw.

Thanks to all of you who have read, voted, commented, subscribed, followed, attended live, or otherwise participated in what we do. We look forward to serving you in 2011.

-Jeff

PS – I was looking for New Year’s Ball Drop pics for this post when I found this. May God have mercy on us all.

Add Your Own

yazter said:

December 31st, 5:48 pm

LOL

yazter said:

December 31st, 5:51 pm

I’ve been a PS3 customer since 2007. I rarely post comments anymore since none of the blog posters ever reply to me,and I don’t there will be an exception this time but

When the hell are you guys going to update the trophies on this site?!?!?!?!?!?! Jeez, people, and I do not mean updating the trophies 3957290572490579025769024658056 years after the game is published, I mean automated, synchronised, up-to-date trophies.

To me, that >> random blog updates.

But then again, that’s Sony, you know, the only company that you request a feature from and then give you a completely different and useless feature.

Happy New Year.

Oh and Jeff that wasn’t directed at you, just the lazy bunch who cannot fix the trophy lists on this website.

fuzzyclutter said:

December 31st, 6:02 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL looking forward to yet another year of gaming . LBP 2 kicking off 2011 almost from the get go . Now the years going to be changing , i shouldnt be expecting problems with my ps3 should I ???? AHHHHH im just ribbin ya , althought that leap year fiasco did have quite a few worried that their units just turned into a pumpkin .

KIT-_-KAT said:

December 31st, 6:10 pm

you better not make them look like the crappy forums!!! Then you will be very behind from EU blog

Zinacef said:

December 31st, 6:14 pm

Happy New Year Sony and to Playstation!

ILOVEPLASTATION3 said:

December 31st, 6:17 pm

Yeah Jeff, my “www.” and “.com” idea still hasn’t been recognized… :( And I checked for dupes. THEY ARE MY ORIGINAL IDEAS! :P lmfao

ILOVEPLASTATION3 said:

December 31st, 6:17 pm

^ in response to PS Share sorry.

hardknock55 said:

December 31st, 6:19 pm

White Knight Chronicles 2 international release…..make it happen 2011 not 2012-2013 please!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! LOVE YOU SONY ^_^

Subzero316 said:

December 31st, 6:47 pm

happy new year jeff, cant wait for all the great games coming out in 2011.

shdwknws13 said:

December 31st, 7:06 pm

Consider this one more vote for the PlayStation.BlogCast

Happy New Year, guys! I look forward to seeing this blog get even better in the coming year with those new, proposed features. It’s already, by far, my most consistently followed blog.

I’d love to see more events, too. That Move meetup in Seattle was a ton of fun.

HatmanTc said:

December 31st, 7:31 pm

just muscle up and take the Playstation Nation title away from Torgo, Fivespotjoel, and pjfjosh .. i am sure they wont mind one bit..

HatmanTc said:

December 31st, 7:34 pm

how about The Professor Playstation Podcast… or Triple-P or even 3P for short

lostinplainsight said:

December 31st, 7:52 pm

BLOGCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VofEscaflowne said:

December 31st, 7:55 pm

I was gonna suggest PlayStation Blogcast as a kind of obvious suggestion but apparently it’s already been said :( Actually a blog I might be interested in listening to once it comes out!

Looking forward to the new changes to the site but I already think it’s a great source of information for PlayStation fans. Any upgrade will be amazing I’m sure so March will be exciting!

And wtf at that Snooki ball. Hopefully it malfunctions and she’s trapped in there for eternity. At least it might be more amusing to see her run around in a giant ball than… maybe. Probably not though.

Happy New Year to everyone!

racingfan312 said:

December 31st, 8:06 pm

2011 is going to be a great year! Happy New Year!

TakiFuGu said:

December 31st, 8:10 pm

NYC, the best city in the world! Happy New Year Guys.

gus_xl said:

December 31st, 8:36 pm

Having a meet-up at PAX East is a great resolution!

Detective-E said:

December 31st, 9:19 pm

Jeff Rubenstein | December 31st, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Oh yeah?

I wouldn’t take a guy who finds Forza better then GT5 or Halo better then Killzone, Resistance, or MAG seriously.

BlooodyCow said:

December 31st, 9:20 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR

curiousecat said:

December 31st, 9:24 pm

Jeff Rubenstein | March 8th, 2010 at 11:03 am
Might be easier to read, but we’ll have a more comprehensive PS3-browser version coming later this year.

Is this promise still going to be met?

LordKaiser00 said:

December 31st, 9:30 pm

Happy 2011 and that this new year brings The features we want from the blog share. At least all kind of video codecs and a new web browser. But enjoy the holydays for now.

curiousecat said:

December 31st, 9:36 pm

I am asking this question because I have noticed major changes to the PlayStation Forums and I noticed that the PS3 is able to read them. Many of us use the browsers for Checking e-mails and the like. We also enjoy YouTube and would like the ability to update the flash. There are as also a number of sites that we could use like Google documents and a great deal more.

The PS3 could also use a Major update with Printers. The PS3 prints beautiful pictures and we don’t have mess with a bunch of settings just to print a picture. But the printers truly need an update. I have a Kodak Photo printer very common.

Yes, I do enjoy gaming, but printing Baby pictures would be nice when we have a new addition to the family :) and I prefer the simplicity of the PS3 vs the complexity of the P.C.
I thank you for allowing me to comment.
I have book marked this page for follow up.

When some one says something, I believe that they should follow through on something. Sad thing is things are said in the heat of them moment but then forgotten . I wish People would stay true to what they say.

Edge_Of_Blood said:

December 31st, 9:36 pm

Happy New Year, PlayStation! :D

Canuck4Life said:

December 31st, 9:38 pm

I agree with kchow23! Definitely stop by Vancouver during the Canadian Games Conference (formerly GDC Canada) in May!

KazeEternal said:

December 31st, 10:18 pm

Any plans for PAX east this year?

lofiweapwn said:

December 31st, 10:19 pm

Say Jeff….

Since you guys have Playstation.BLOG up top, why not call the Podcast this:

Playstation.Podcast

Feedback?

theMADster said:

January 1st, 12:27 am

Happy New Years PlayStation and the rest of the world!

OveReAction said:

January 1st, 1:12 am

Alright! Only 17 days left before LittleBigPlanet 2!

that-acmilan-guy said:

January 1st, 2:08 am

Please bring Nolan North and the Uncharted cast to this blog and share their experience making Uncharted 3.

favian said:

January 1st, 2:41 am

happy new year, i’m always impressed at how well the blog keeps in touch with the community, accepting all sorts of feedback. I’m hoping to see more share blog ideas implemented. I really do want to see the PS3 do everything.

FATHASUN said:

January 1st, 3:40 am

Happy New Year Playstation Family!

ICEIAN618 said:

January 1st, 4:27 am

all you guys need to do lets us know when 4.0 is coming.. its been over year since 3.0.. im bored with the way my xmb looks i need some new exciting features.. lets us know what has been worked on..

jakej007 said:

January 1st, 6:11 am

@Jeff

For a podcast title “PSP- playstation podcast” – with a PSP as a logo
or “PS. Ive Got News” or something like that. Hope you notice the post and it helps you.

curiousecat said:

January 1st, 8:09 am

PlayStation News Broadcast
PSNBC

animalsto said:

January 1st, 8:45 am

I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE PSN IS GOIN TO HAVE A BETTER NEW YUGIOH GAME TO BUY N DOWNLOAD CAUSE I WOULD DEFF BUY N MY FRIENDS WOULD TO LONG AS IF ITS LIKE 35.00 OR LOWER LOL BUT YEAH WE ARE SO ENVY OF THE XBOX 360 CAUSE THEY HAVE A YUGIOH GAME WERE THEY CAN BE PARTNERS PLAYING ONLINE AGAINST EACH OTHER MAN I WISH PS3 GET A YUGIOH GAME FAST AND A HURRY WE NEED IT LOL BUT GREAT JOB THIS YEAR SONY HOPE FOR BETTER THIS ONE AND U GUY CAN EMAIL ME TEXT ME THE INFO ABOUT THE UPDATE IF WERE ARE GOIN TO GET THE YUGIOH GAME CHOW

Globox_82 said:

January 1st, 8:58 am

Thats all nice but cross game chat needs to happen in 2011. Personally i don’t care about it but so many people want it. Do it Sony.

Globox_82 said:

January 1st, 9:07 am

My podcast recommendation name: “Only Playstation” Feel free 2 use it.

Jeff, can you comment on this one. We see incredible amount of exclusives for 2011 and that worries me about E3. I am worried that there might not be any or just a few PS3 SOFTWARE related announcements at E2011. Can you say something on this one?

Stoffinator said:

January 1st, 9:31 am

Mine is a small request. But I would love to have the themes you guys did for the PS Store over the Holidays. Any way we can get those all?

alok893 said:

January 1st, 10:02 am

This going to be a ground breaking year for the Playstation 3!

bloodstainkatana said:

January 1st, 10:15 am

It’s now 2011 will Sony stop the production and the life-cycle of the PS2 and add PS2 Compatability to PS3? since the PS2 was guaranteed 10 years, now that it’s been 10 years will you add this feature? :)

kenkraly2004 said:

January 1st, 11:05 am

Happy New Year playstation looking forward to getting MLB 11 The Show on March 8th. Keep up the good work Playstation.

q13e5 said:

January 1st, 11:21 am

the out of map gliches are wierd. i mean you dont put a sinvizable roof on the spaces and besause theres no walls up there, people can climb the walls and get out so why dont you fix that? walls people normaly cant reach is importent too. yo mod, example: the airplane place climbing the tree and jump over a foot thick wall into the ocean. its patched but why not put a roof and cut off extra ground so if i jump over the fence in burn zomby burn i fall (now theres a floor there i can use to walk into forest) make it so we fall threw other side insted standing on other side anoying other people that cant do it.

Arcadian_Rebel said:

January 1st, 1:50 pm

Happy New Year! Can’t wait for Uncharted 3 and InFamous 2 this year. :)

Arcadian_Rebel said:

January 1st, 1:51 pm

Could we have a little reward for the new year, Sony? Cross-game voice chat or blog integration into our Playstation dashboard would be amazing! :)

Chaos200786 said:

January 1st, 4:42 pm

Jeff, Its been a hell of a ride for the PS Blog and it will be nice to see her in some new treads, can’t wait for the update, also I hope that even though you are looking to expand the meet-ups, You don’t forget us in Los Angeles.

Have a great year everyone who works on the Blog from Jeff to Sid and everyone else.

Kajax said:

January 1st, 4:55 pm

I really hope to see CROSS-GAME VOICE CHAT in 2011. It’s 2011 and we cant speak to each other, its 2011 not 1990.

And please give us a new XMB.

BuB433 said:

January 1st, 5:31 pm

The Playstation BlogCast is still my favorite.
It’s simple and clever.

HatmanTc said:

January 1st, 6:09 pm

@142.. why do people the need for a new XMB.. the XMB makes sense and is fully functional the way it is now.. only thing i wish i could do with my XMB is be able to put the new video apps(hulu, netflix, vudu etc) into folders, other than that i just can’t see the need for a new xmb

danhnguyen said:

January 1st, 6:44 pm

Happy New Year

whitwhit said:

January 1st, 7:28 pm

jeff did you go to timesquare for new years. also keep the name of the podcast simple maybe do a vote on the name. a poll on the blog would be a good way to do it.