PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Aug 25

Aug 25

PAX 2011: Must-Play PSN Games

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

With PAX Prime 2011 kicking off tomorrow in Seattle, attendees will get to try out a slew of new and unreleased games. If you’re heading to PAX, keep your eyes open for opportunities to play upcoming PlayStation Network titles, some of which won’t be released for months!

A selection of PlayStation Network PLAY titles will be playable at PAX including Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition, located at Capcom’s spot at booth #3425. BloodRayne: Betrayal (releasing on PSN September 6th) shows off its gorgeously bloody 2D styling courtesy of Way Forward at booth #3652. The same action-packed engine and dev team that made Just Cause famous is also in fine form with Renegade Ops – it’s playable at the Sega booth (#3625) before its PSN release on September 13th.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition for PS3 (PSN)Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition for PS3 (PSN)Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN)

To round out your PSN experience at PAX, the long-awaited Retro/Grade from 24 Caret Games will be playable at booth #6415. In a beautiful contrast to Retro/Grades’ colorful visuals, Closure will makes its PS3 debut at PAX. Experience the unique light-and-shadow-based gameplay at booth #599 and prepare for its PSN release next spring.

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Closure for PS3 (PSN)

Naturally, there’s a LOT more to see than just these games! If you can’t make the trip to PAX, visit the PlayStation Store to find new PAX game trailers and content updates for UNCHARTED 3, Twisted Metal, Starhawk, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, and BioShock: Infinite. Enjoy the show!

If you’re going to PAX this weekend, which games are you most excited to play?

Add Your Own

Taco_Grande said:

August 25th, 12:39 pm

This needs more cow bell.

Trieloth said:

August 25th, 12:43 pm

Iam sooooo excited for Blood:Rayne!! 2D FTW!! oh wait can you tell these cool developer guys we need more 2D games, please and thanks!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 1:22 pm

The game is in great hands with developer Way Forward. Looking forward to it myself!

DeathGazer said:

August 25th, 12:47 pm

Retro/Grade needs a release date already. Known about that game for a couple years now.

Got Renegade Ops pre-ordered. Thinking about getting Bloodrayne as well, but I think I need a demo first.

ABRipperXX said:

August 25th, 12:50 pm

Im super excited to play Closure…looks just to amazing to describe with words. I’m also looking forward to playing Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Retro/Grade, Vessel…ect. to many to name lol. I can’t wait to go to PAX! See you guys there!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 1:40 pm

Awesome! Closure looks to be a great game and has pulled in a ton of recognition in the indie scene already. Look for more info on it in the coming months. Enjoy the show!

JLP_M said:

August 25th, 1:08 pm

….. really zaca21

BLU-RAY__ said:

August 25th, 1:11 pm

gotta love the spamers -.-

remanutd5 said:

August 25th, 1:15 pm

no playstation vita games ?

Shadow-Man_4 said:

August 25th, 1:27 pm

Is there anything that’s going to be revealed for Uncharted 3? Like a new trailer or Multiplayer details?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 1:39 pm

I don’t have any info on upcoming UC3 announcements, but keep your eyes on the blog as I’m sure there’s going to be lots to see leading up to release in November.

djnealb said:

August 25th, 1:31 pm

I’m sure that some day I’ll be able to afford and actually have the time to go to PAX. Sadly, today is not that day. Neither is next year since I’ll be getting married around the same time.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 1:38 pm

Safe to say getting married is the bigger occasion. OR IS IT? ; ) congrats! Hope you can make it next year, the show is always a great time. Maybe you and the new wife can make it a weekend Seattle trip next year!

lisatsunami said:

August 25th, 2:00 pm

I’ll go next year. I want to attend a less frenetic version of Comic Con & I’m thinking PAX might fit the bill.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 2:15 pm

That’s definitely the case. SD Comic Con is amazing, but be prepared to brave it. PAX is more community and games focused and really speaks to gaming culture. One of my favorite shows. Plus, Seattle is an awesome city.

ajwilson55 said:

August 25th, 2:22 pm

Going for the first time! Can’t wait to check out the scene and see what the new games look like. BEYOND!

marlyt said:

August 25th, 2:26 pm

@ djnealb

Take her for your honeymoon. She’ll thank you forever…LOL. But you could just for something different, take your honeymoon trip to Seattle to “escape the heat” and just happen upon PAX while “seeing the sights.” If you plan carefully you could make this happen. Congrats and welcome to The Club!!

Burningskull said:

August 25th, 2:30 pm

Where is Castlevania Harmony of Despair in that list? And when in September is it coming out?

hush404 said:

August 25th, 2:45 pm

I downloaded SF3 but haven’t had a chance to play yet :S The other 4 I pre-ordered through the pre-order thing you guys have doing on :) The last two don’t seem to interest me though.

Frejim said:

August 25th, 3:05 pm

Closure hyperlink (in sentence “In a beautiful contrast to Retro/Grades’ colorful visuals, Closure will makes its PS3 debut at PAX. “) – is not working

plaztiksyke said:

August 25th, 3:10 pm

I’m most excited for Retro/Grade, Closure, and Bloodrayne.

re: Bloodrayne, I love almost everything WayForward has every done. I’m still holding out hope that we’ll get an HD version of A Boy and His Blob on PSN. I would gladly play it again if it looked as good as Critter Crunch.

spideyal said:

August 25th, 3:14 pm

Already bought SF3: Third Strike, and pre-ordered Bloodrayne. :) Haven’t got any time to play anything as of late though. So that sucks. But hey, looking forward to Closure now! That game looks awesome.

Rorek_IronBlood said:

August 25th, 3:22 pm

Sorry, Morgan, but this just is not cutting it. Still don’t see a reason either to buy into PlayStation Plus. C’mon, Morgan. Sell it to me. So, in the words of the prophetical, Marcus;

“Step you’re game up!”
– Marcus “PSP”

On a side note I love “retro” gaming (I love my classics), but the only “half” decent game out what I just saw was – Bloodrayne – and sadly while I loved the first game (and it’s own twist on World War II (yet again) I just have this bad taste in my mouth from the last set of games, and movies (horribly done movies that made even youtube laugh & cry.) Also. For the record.. Can someone tell Capcom to tone it down being the ‘//hore of Japan is not a great image to have and the world already has Activision. It’s time to stop producing – Street Fighter – titles like it’s McDonalds fast food going in and out! It’s annoying and stupid.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 4:16 pm

this post is about PSN games at PAX, not PS Plus. Also, please don’t try to get around the word filter; not a good look! =)

Shishimo9000 said:

August 25th, 3:50 pm

Why make it bloodrayne… such a weird decision it could easily be it’s own standalone game and not have to cash in on some old franchise’s name… It’s not like its even similar to the old bloodrayne games. Well I guess as long as it doesn’t make any reference to those terrible bloodrayne movies (voted by some to be the worst movies ever) we’ll be ok…

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 4:18 pm

the movies are definitely separate, creatively speaking, from the new BloodRayne: Betrayal. So while the movies may have their own story to tell (in ways that some might not agree with ;) ) the game at hand looks to be standing on it’s own feet. Watch for more news on it as it leads to release!

scorpionov4 said:

August 25th, 3:51 pm

can someone tell me what is wrong? i try getting on psn store and my ps3 freezes. i dont know what is wrong. i tried to get on the store on my other accounts and it works just fine. it happens just on this account. plz help.

kabirdsall14 said:

August 25th, 4:15 pm

Morgan,

I have a question about this PSN PLAY thing. How long do the Plus discounts last on these games? Only pre-order and Week 1? or what?

Also, I heard something that if you don’t preorder by the thursday before the release you don’t get the pre-order bonuses. Is that true?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 4:19 pm

the Plus discounts for PLAY are going on until 9/19/2011. To get the theme for the game, you’ll have to do the pre-order. But to get the free piece of DLC for the game (for example, the extra character in SF3, you just need to buy it anytime before 9/19/2011. hope that helps!

kabirdsall14 said:

August 25th, 4:15 pm

^^^
Thanks,
Kabirdsall14

kabirdsall14 said:

August 25th, 4:34 pm

@ Morgan,
Thanks for you quick response! It is greatly appreciated! :)

Dcrazy204 said:

August 25th, 4:55 pm

i was thinking of buying this game part of the psn play deal but i dont think is worth it because on the october 2011 of the playstation magazine the game got a score of 6 out of 10.Now i feel like i could have got rip if i would have end up buying that game for $15 or $12(psn plus).From the 4 game of that ‘play’ list only one of them is good so far which is street fighter 3.On ign.com it got a score of 9.The other 2 games i only find one interesting which is renegade ops.I think the baconing might even end up being bad.Does anyone think this deal is worth it just to get payday the heist for free.

SogeKing said:

August 25th, 5:49 pm

I miss Kevin Butler. Where did he go?

ModernYorkster said:

August 25th, 7:29 pm

Morgan,

I would really like to see more PSN Exclusives. In this economy money is sometimes hard to come by, but I know when I purchase a game with the branding “Only On PlayStation” or ” Only On PlayStation Network” I’m getting my moneys worth. I’ll be honest it’s very rare do I purchase something without those slogans on the box or picture. So what I would like to see more of are the PSN Exclusives, with some actual advertisement. 90% of the time the PlayStation community doesn’t even know what so and so game is. With a bit of hype and marketing push some of these games can become a true success.

Let’s take Retro Grade for example there has been little details about this game released to the public. This shouldn’t be the case with games that can “Only be found on PlayStation”.

p.s. Keep up the good work, I’m a true loyal Sony/PlayStation customer.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 25th, 11:04 pm

hey modern,

Love the feedback and I’m right there with you. hang tight, awesome things coming!

Kchow23 said:

August 25th, 7:49 pm

Where’s the love for Skullgirls? looks like the next step for fighting games and its a PSN game! Anyway, Bloodrayne looks great, looking forward to it!

Genomicinsight said:

August 25th, 7:51 pm

I have to add Retro-grade to my wishlist now , Looks like a great Shoot-em-up or something.

bestplayer562 said:

August 25th, 8:52 pm

are these games worth buying ?

bushisprez said:

August 26th, 1:21 am

Here’s a tip Morgan Haro. Tell playstation/sony show support for Pax East this Spring. Socom 4 was deinitely not the game to show off at the convention floor when Infamous 2, uncharted 3, etc were coming out later this year and already had playable builds if the press accessed them. Catch my drift?

drfossilphd said:

August 26th, 7:04 am

hey morgan… will any of these games be able to buy on the playstation store, full game wise??? before 2012????

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 26th, 9:40 am

The PSN PLAY titles mentioned are all releasing within the next month. Check the above post for their release dates. Closure should be coming by Spring 2011, and I couldn’t say on Retro/Grade

lyfestory said:

August 26th, 7:18 am

the Bloodrayne video makes me think of some of the old Castlevania games… not a bad thing to be compared to really… games like Symphony of the Night were the best of the past generations…. would love to see a re-imagined version of that game for sure….

ViolentGene said:

August 26th, 10:07 am

Renegade Ops, give it to me I WANT IT

WelmoscaBR said:

August 26th, 10:44 am

oh man This BloodRayne is awesome…I did not know it was so good.

that-acmilan-guy said: