PlayStation VR

Sep 16

Sep 16

Eufloria Blooms on PSN October 4th, Make Space in Your Intergalactic Garden

Nick Suttner's Avatar Posted by Lead Account Manager, SCEA

Salutations! I know it’s been a while since we last spoke, but the Pub Fund group at SCEA has been hard at work on bringing interesting, exclusive content to PSN. Okabu, Papo & Yo, and more clandestine projects are still on the horizon, but today I’m here to drop the launch details for Eufloria – a very different, very special sort of strategy game.

It’s tough to distill the concept down to a couple of sentences without doing the experience a huge injustice, but this excellent trailer should give you an idea of the mood and visual direction:

Now take that ethereal aesthetic, and the tingling that you’re feeling in your temples, and fold a layer of smartly accessible strategy elements over it. You’ll be exploring, conquering and colonizing enemy asteroids without the need for messy tech trees or arcane controls. It’s a rare game that satisfies both ends of the art game/strategy game spectrum, but I think that Eufloria nails it. It’s also tunable in either direction – play on the less hectic Chilled mode to revel in the ambiance, or give Dark Matter mode a try to grit your tactical teeth.

Check out my previous post for more game details and a list of some of the huge improvements for the PS3 iteration, and be sure to leave a spot for it in your PSN library if the concept intrigues you. Eufloria will be launching October 4th for $9.99, with a trial and unlock so that everyone can give it a shot. Supporting interesting independently developed games is an important goal for us, especially amongst all the blockbuster behemoths this fall – we love bringing you this stuff, and want to do so all year round. With that said, I hope we’ll see you in a few weeks!

(P.S. The little looping song that plays on the XMB before you launch the game has served as my background music for tens of hours of work throughout the year – as you can imagine, the full soundtrack is absolutely stunning.)

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Tchanku said:

September 16th, 12:30 pm

I have no clue what that is, but I need it.

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 3:05 pm

I had the exact same reaction the first time I saw it.

burningwind said:

September 16th, 12:33 pm

That looks very interesting. I can definitely see the need for a demo to get a feel for it. Will definitely check it out.

Kirkpad said:

September 16th, 12:44 pm

The game is great on PC, and will be even better on PSN. I thought I remember hearing a whisper about a PS+ discount, but I could be wrong.

(Also, holy crap a lot of blog commenters are plus users.)

JimmyChaos said:

September 16th, 12:47 pm

If your curious, go try the demo on steam. Course it will be better and apparently cheaper on the PSN. yay

zech678 said:

September 16th, 12:54 pm

ok what is this

Hradekal said:

September 16th, 1:31 pm

Ugh October 4th? I have a Biochem exam that day :(

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 3:08 pm

Depending on what it’s about, it could double as a strategy guide.

Good luck!

RE_Player said:

September 16th, 1:32 pm

I’ll defiantly check it out and probably end up buying it.

CommandrJXS8 said:

September 16th, 1:41 pm

On an unrelated topic, when is payday the heist coming out? Haven’t heard much about it, other than its free if you buy those other games. Ign says its due out on the 4th, but it would’ve made it into this round of articles doesn’t anyone think? Help Please! its the only downloadable i’m looking forward to.

dragon_night said:

September 16th, 1:51 pm

Payday the heist and re4 the september 27. Use Playstation lifestyle for release dates ok?

dragon_night said:

September 16th, 1:51 pm

September 20 I mean

jmanxp said:

September 16th, 1:52 pm

IDK but I think I Like It :D

Mobius2525 said:

September 16th, 2:02 pm

Might give this game a try.

lisatsunami said:

September 16th, 2:08 pm

When the h*** is Journey?!!

BAEZE_L said:

September 16th, 2:29 pm

Hmmm… It Has The SAME MUSIC As That DownLoadable Game “FLOW”.

Why Not A Different Set Of Tunes??

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 3:07 pm

You are mistaken, good sir. Equally awesome, though entirely different.

plaztiksyke said:

September 16th, 2:30 pm

Asked some questions on the previous post, which I’ll re-post here:
“how, specifically, is the PS3 version upgraded from the Steam version beyond the additional content? 1080p native rendering? losslessly-compressed audio assets?

does it make use of SixAxis? (PJ Eden was masterful at doing it in a way that wasn’t unintuitive.)

These are the kinds of games we bought our PS3 for, so please keep it up. I’d love to see a PS3/Move version of the iPhone game Zen Bound, as well as Sword & Sworcery!”

can I get an answer this time? :)

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 3:03 pm

Not sure about 1080p/lossless, but I’ll look into it. I CAN confirm that it’s insanely pretty. :-)
    (Also keep in mind that it’s not just additional content, but a complete rebalancing/tweaking of the PC version.)

No SIXAXIS support, but it wouldn’t really fit so you’re not missing anything.

I’m a big fan of Zen Bound and Sword & Sworcery as well, so they’re definitely on our radar.

rockinjs864 said:

September 16th, 3:02 pm

um why did that just remind me of the little guys swimming up into a egg?

angelspawn77 said:

September 16th, 3:08 pm

Looks interesting, I always like creative and new games like this. Something out of the ordinary and of course an awesome art style is always great.

Detective-E said:

September 16th, 3:18 pm

oct 4th? dark souls

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 3:53 pm

Indeed. The perfect companion piece to hop over to for some ambient relaxation when you need a break from being decimated by snake men.

KwietStorm said:

September 16th, 3:26 pm

That omni systems logo looked straight out the 80s haha

Shin-Ra said:

September 16th, 3:46 pm

I think my Child of Eden money will go to this instead. :)

oo7PorscheMGS said:

September 16th, 4:21 pm

I love the play on words… Euphoria … Eufloria :) Oh and by the way the guy…err…idiot.. who said this sounds like flOw’s music… must be deaf. This sounds and looks great by the way. I like these types of games.. this and Journey are my next two psn games.

cooldude050 said:

September 16th, 5:13 pm

Wow… there are too many awesome games on PSN that I have to get :P

papolatte said:

September 16th, 5:15 pm

Sony must hate me because they seem to WANT me to go poor this Winter. Uncharted, Resistance, all the Resident Evil releases, Ico/SotC, and then PSN titles like this.

Yep. They must really hate me.

Goodbye hard earned moneys. Goodbye roof over my head. For tonight… tonight I game.

But no seriously. I have a 360 and Wii, and with minor exception, I end up buying at least 2 ps3 games a week whilst ignoring my other consoles. What the hell Sony. STOP ENTICING ME.

filinese21 said:

September 16th, 6:07 pm

Sony is absolutely dominating the fall/winter season with gaming goodness. I don’t know how much more my wallet can handle. Perhaps I should tell it stop complaining and suck it up?

PainOfSarrow said:

September 16th, 6:13 pm

never understood how anyone can find these type of games any fun at all. FLOWER is boringggg as hellllll, this looks just as boring. very weird how ppl find interest in these snoring fests.

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 16th, 6:53 pm

While I can understand the comparison, it couldn’t be more different than Flower mechanically. Both great games, but a very different experience, and a much more hardcore tactical one if you want it to be. It may not be up your alley, but that’s why they’ll be a demo on day one. Give it a shot, you may be surprised.

poodude said:

September 16th, 6:23 pm

Looks amazing, and it has a great price point. I’m still not into paying $14.99 for a downloadable title. Only time I could ever justify that was with Section 8: Prejudice.

@25 (PainOfSarrow)

One could also ask how it is that some people enjoy movies without car chases or explosions, how people can listen to death metal etc. Everyone has their own interests, for me this games looks great. Beautiful art style, lovely music and what looks like some relaxing gameplay. That might not appeal to you, but it does to a lot of people.

TallCrowe said:

September 16th, 6:30 pm

This is the game you play on a crunchy groove thursday.

Addfwyn said:

September 16th, 6:53 pm

I feel like this is something I need to play every night before going to bed, for a deep and relaxing sleep full of…flower spaceship dreams?

Genomicinsight said:

September 16th, 8:28 pm

I’ll be getting this , I like any games that deal with experiencing nature. Peaceful music while looking a nature is why I’m going to get this.

favian said:

September 16th, 8:42 pm

Oh my this looks stellar

tonydamiani said:

September 16th, 8:46 pm

Looks cool. Reminds me of Flower and Flow :)

PainOfSarrow said:

September 16th, 9:20 pm

okay you guys are right. maybe it aint all so bad and i shouldnt judge it without playing it, maybe i will see things differently once i try it. i guess im more into games such as Shank and fat princess along with crash commando. your right though i should try it before i bash it. hardcore tactical does sound a little better. not saying flower was a bad game i just couldnt get into it, i found it very childish and girly. im sure it got good ratings for a reason maybe i just havent grasp what it is or like one said maybe its just not my taste. im not all about hardcore i like to relax myself. il give the demo a try

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 19th, 10:55 am

Excellent! That’s all we ask. :-)

KAPADO said:

September 16th, 9:30 pm

this looks dope.

Majinpoot said:

September 16th, 10:29 pm

Looks pretty cool. Hoping for a demo or at least a + user discount.

lyfestory said:

September 16th, 11:55 pm

part of the swarms of activity reminds me of that battle scene in Independence Day when everything is flying around attacking each other… but i also had to wonder, what in the world is going on… i definitely will check the trial out…. keep up the great work….

Bloody_Marcel said:

September 17th, 12:47 am

Surprised (and disappointed) this doesn’t support Move considering its PC origins.

Mattsta001 said:

September 17th, 3:56 am

Uh, finally. Really happy to see games like this coming to PSN. I’m hoping a lot of these indie gems will pop up in the new year after the holiday onslaught and during the summer gaming drought. What about Machinarium? When is that coming? Oh and I heard Shane Bettenhausen is now working for Sony? Confirm or deny please.

Nick Suttner's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

September 19th, 10:58 am

No date on Machinarium yet, but it’s looking great and definitely still coming. And I can confirm the presence of Mr. Bettenhausen, as he started here this morning!

Conaaando said:

September 17th, 6:15 am

I love these crazy games and I’m definitely getting this. Digital drugs FTW!

rjejr said:

September 17th, 6:18 am

“Sperm Wars”

Somebody should re-edit that trailer with the Star Wars theme, or maybe Vaders music, and put it on youtube, Whole different game seller I bet.

da da, da da duh da da, da da, da da da da…

16 beat me to it but I had to say it anyway.

ModernYorkster said:

September 17th, 6:19 am

How difficult is the trophy list going to be on this PSN game? It looks like a lot of fun, and kinda pulls elements from Everyday Shooter.

Rorek_IronBlood said:

September 17th, 6:27 am

Yeah. I have to agree. It really looks like “sperm” and you attempt to literally “fertilize” an egg. I don’t know what to say to that or about that much, but it’s a whatever situation I suppose. Still the “Sperm Wars” idea is pretty funny.

rjejr said:

September 17th, 6:44 am

OK, so I downloaded the demo (on Steam from Oct. 2009 if anybody is looking for it) and my 9 year old (today is his birthday) said – “I don’t get it.”. He’s loves Flow, Osmos and Spore. This game isn’t any of those. The closet thing I’ve played to it is the “From Dust” demo 2 nights ago. Not an obvious comparison I know. But I hated level 1 of that demo, 2 was ok, and 3 got my attention. This game and that game just seem the same at the core, lead people from 1 place to another to make more. I can see Eufloria getting good eventually, I can even imagine it growing into “Mushroom Wars”, a favorite in our household. I hope the controls are more intuitive though, you hardly do anything and I had to read the instructions just to do that.

BTW – 63/100 Metacritic. Hope they’ve made good use of the 2 years.

ROMO_RMS said:

September 17th, 6:46 am

Does not lead to the Arabs is interesting that
1-tv
2- Arabic and demand after the Arabization of some games
With love

ROMO..

Elvick_ said:

September 17th, 7:55 am

I bought the game on Steam’s summer sale, it’s great. So I recommend it to everyone.

sugarfree98 said:

September 17th, 8:16 am

very nice looking game. ++++++

mochuuu said:

September 17th, 9:59 am

this one super captivated me at E3; looking forward to actually relaxing on my couch and playing this.

taurus82 said:

September 17th, 10:59 am

All I’m gonna say is that the visuals would’ve made a nice music visualisation for the PS3’s Music Player.

Slightly off-topic, does the PS3 support the VVVV toolkit?
If so, please have your people contact these people at abstractbirds(dot)com for more information.

Sneeches said:

September 17th, 11:00 am

looks like sperms trying to penetrate the egg!!!

gm914 said:

September 17th, 3:04 pm

@Sneeches

You say that about every game….

Hooligantuan said:

September 18th, 7:34 am

Ahahhahaha, Fertilization: The Game.

PAGE 1 2