Knack 2

Feb 03

Feb 03

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack – Platforming Fun for Your PS Vita

Graham Smith's Avatar Posted by COO, DrinkBox Studios

So you are probably thinking “Mutant Blobs Attack? Never heard of it. Why should I care about this game? Also, why does Reddit always have so many cat pictures on the front page?” Well, the first thing you need to do is unsubscribe from /r/aww. After that’s done, let me tell you a few reasons you should care about Mutant Blobs Attack.

tales from space mutant blobs attack

First, you enjoy platformers but are maybe a bit tired of the typical offerings, and are looking for something fresh. You were thinking of buying a Vita, and need something fun to play in between your sessions of Michael Jackson the Experience. You also have a sense of humor and are tired of games that take themselves too seriously. Maybe you also enjoy monster movies that feature the destruction of all mankind, or perhaps have a slight Blob fetish?

And, if all of the above items apply, then this is REALLY the game for you.

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is a follow up to Tales from Space: About a Blob released early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 (via PSN). Mutant Blobs Attack differs from its predecessor in a number of ways. We want to leave SOME surprises for those who buy the game, so without giving too much away here is some more info about what’s in Mutant Blobs Attack.

This time around the Blob has some new abilities that were designed to take advantage of the Vita’s inputs. The first of these is Telekinesis, which allows the Blob to move objects/platforms around in the game world. These objects are indicated to the player with a green dot, which can be touched and dragged on the Vita’s touchscreen. Having movable objects in the world allows us to challenge the player with unique platforming puzzles.

Telekinesis 2Telekinesis 1

The second new ability the player will encounter in the game is Rocket Mode. While in this mode, the Blob begins floating in the air, and is controlled using a rocket thruster. While flying around, the back touch pad of the Vita can be used to apply an additional “boost” of speed to the Blob.

2012-01-31-224904

Those of you that played Tales from Space: About a Blob will already be familiar with the Magnetic power, which is making a return. Magnetism allows the Blob to stick or repel from fixed metal surfaces, and also pull / push smaller metal objects that are not fixed in place. This power is often used in the game to solve puzzles.

Magnetism 4

As a break to the normal platforming gameplay, and utilizing another input feature of the Vita, we have spread tilt-based bonus levels throughout the main story. We made these levels all take place in unique and interesting environments like a wooden labyrinth, an old-school retro hand-held device, and maybe even Tom Selleck’s moustache (Editor’s note: Tom Selleck moustache level is not actually included in the game).

2012-01-31-2223202012-01-31-221527

We are really proud of how the game turned out, and can’t wait to share it with the world! With the Vita and the game coming out very soon, we really hope that you guys & gals will take some time to check it out.

For up-to-date development news, make sure to follow us on Twitter @DrinkboxStudios and @MutantBlob, and check out our blog at www.mutantblobsattack.com. Also, feel free to shoot us any questions you have in the comments below, and we will try to answer them the best we can!

Add Your Own

Neil said:

February 3rd, 1:14 pm

I enjoyed the PS3 version. Is this a PSN or boxed game?

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 1:54 pm

Thanks Neil. This one is PSN only (no boxed version)

Reluctant-Hero said:

February 3rd, 1:19 pm

I didn’t play the first game, but this version looks to be right up my alley. I’m assuming that it’s a PSN exclusive title?

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 2:06 pm

The game was really designed around Vita’s new hardware features, and the Vita has been our main focus for the game during development. Other platforms could be possible in the future, but we have not really considered this yet.

KidKobun said:

February 3rd, 1:48 pm

Shaping up nicely! And yes, it will be a downloadable title for the Vita via PSN: http://mutantblobsattack.com/press-releases/

NamesIrish13 said:

February 3rd, 2:03 pm

My son and I loved the first one and still play it, and we were really looking forward to be able to play this game with each other. I thought it was going to be a PSN/PS3 release… is this a vita only game? If its not a vita only game when can we expect the release to be able to enjoy it on our PS3?

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 4:44 pm

Hey NamesIrish,

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed the first game. As I mentioned above, we are not certain about other versions yet.. I do hope you guys get a chance to play this one though!

Kchow23 said:

February 3rd, 2:39 pm

Will there be a demo? and how big of a download it it?

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 5:09 pm

We’ve been really focusing on just getting the game itself done, and there may not be a trial when the game launches.

The download size will likely be somewhere between 100 and 150MB

Kchow23 said:

February 3rd, 2:50 pm

*how big of a download is the full game?

G-Force08 said:

February 3rd, 3:08 pm

Loved the first, waiting on this one. :)

All I need is a release date because I’ll be getting it for sure.

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 5:00 pm

We can’t say the release date yet, but we will likely be announcing it very soon.

materclobber said:

February 3rd, 3:14 pm

i played the vita for the first time in gamestop today and even though i’ll be getting it 19 days from now i wanted NOW!!!!!!!!!! i will look forward to getting my greasy fingers on that sexy piece of playstation revolution!! lol

MarinoBrea said:

February 3rd, 3:17 pm

Nice looking 10-dollar game.

Reluctant-Hero said:

February 3rd, 3:57 pm

Graham, thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely be dowbloading this for my Vita! In regards to other consoles and PSN exclusivity, I just meant that game wouldn’t be in a retail package. And you already answered that question!

lisatsunami said:

February 3rd, 4:26 pm

What I was thinking when I saw your blog title is “Yet Another Platformer?!”. (sigh)
Thanks, anyway & good luck.

With all due respect. <—I feel it's ok for me to say dooshy things if I add this disclaimer.

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 5:11 pm

LOL lisatsunami..

Hopefully we have enough fresh stuff in this one to make you interested ;)

Curtisio said:

February 3rd, 6:02 pm

I think being on the Vita brings an interesting twist to the original game.

I REALLY hope there is a demo. If there is not release date yet, maybe there’s time to make a demo.

poodude said:

February 3rd, 7:22 pm

Oh man this looks fun.

AND I WILL NEVER UNSUBSCRIBE FROM R/AWW!

ReptileHand said:

February 3rd, 7:34 pm

I loved the first one!

When I get a Vita (which I definitely will when the price drops within this year or next year), I will get this game! The first one had such a charm to it, along with a couple of internet tid bits which I noticed :)

Also, I just saw the most ADORABLE corgi video on the reddit front page. And now I know r/aww exists!

Oh yeah this a downloadable game which means it’s going to have a smaller price as a Vita game =D which as you can see I’m kinda happy about because Vita games go for $30-$50. I should get back and beat the first game while I’m at it.

Graham Smith's Avatar

Graham Smith said:

February 3rd, 9:22 pm

Thanks ReptileHand :)

I just watched that corgi video and will never get that two minutes of my life back

chubigans said:

February 3rd, 8:59 pm

Count me in as someone who adored the first game and will readily buy this one! Can’t wait for the Vita!

ABTR said:

February 3rd, 10:17 pm

Awesome! The Tales from Space: About a Blob is one of my favorite! Great news! Another good game for Vita!

niwrA said:

February 4th, 2:56 am

Very nice – when I saw that there was going to be a version for Vita I knew I’d have to get it, because my (3!) year old son loves it (although it gets too hard and intimidating pretty fast – he’s genuinely scared of the fireballs and hands me the controller at that point). It’s a great help that the PS3 version has two player co-op, in that respect.

Anyway, pretty sure he’ll enjoy playing this on Vita and this being a PSN download again (which probably means it’s affordable) gives it a good shot of ending up there. :)

NamesIrish13 said:

February 4th, 8:48 am

Graham thanks for the reply above regarding if it will be on the ps3 or not. I hope you guys do decided to bring it to the PS3 for all the fans like myself who enjoy the couch coop with our family!

JEC94 said:

February 4th, 2:27 pm

PSN name will be SEN soon why you guys haven’t post anything about it?