Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Dec 19

Dec 19

PlayStation Blogcast 056: My Big Fat Game of the Year Show

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Subscription Links:

You have spoken! The winners of the first-annual PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year Awards have been revealed at last! Now it’s time to listen to a bunch of people you don’t know discuss great PlayStation games you may or may not have played. Behold! The final, thrilling episode of PlayStation Blogcast for 2012 is about to begin.

It’s high time we brought in the illustrious Dan Hsu, Editor-in-Chief (“EIC” if you’re super cool) of GamesBeat and former Editor-in-Chief of EGM, to class up the joint for a few precious hours. Along with straight-shooting PR man Aram Jabbari and a loveable scamp we’ve dubbed Nick Suttner, we plunge into the year’s best moments in gaming, whether it’s the stark vistas of Journey, the monochromatic mysteries of The Unfinished Swan, or the eye-popping menus of Persona 4 Golden. We touch on a ton of titles across PS3, PS Vita and PS Mobile, so this is a great chance to get inspiration for those last few stocking stuffers.

With the holiday PlayStation Store seeing a light holiday publishing schedule next week, today’s show focus squarely on our favorite games of the year — be sure to leave yours in the comments, too.

Thanks again for your support of PlayStation Blogcast. Happy holidays and see you in early January!

Send us questions and tips: blogcast@playstation.sony.com

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast - Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Aram JabbariOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Dan Hsu

The Cast

Add Your Own

Yuranium said:

December 19th, 10:31 am

and i though im the only one that have the day mixed up. lol jk. :)

Ryumoau said:

December 19th, 10:57 am

sorry to hear no new games releasing on psn store, but its understandable. Hope next week’s Christmas sales has more Vita titles than this week did.

zappajustin said:

December 19th, 10:59 am

Curious if you guys sent out the free games for people who’s tips got on the show the last week. My email was read but haven’t seen a code show up. Just want to make sure I didn’t miss it. I understand it’s probably real hectic during Christmas… take your time. I’m hoping for Tokyo Jungle… *hint* * hint* haha

hungcanh19 said:

December 19th, 11:12 am

Great Blogcast, BTW, so um i bought big sky infinity on the PS3 last week, but can’t transfer over on the Vita. It keeps giving me error message. And when i try to download from my Vita download list, same thing. Thanks for looking into this.

TwinDad said:

December 19th, 11:32 am

It’s really true this week that you really do “have a really big Hsu this week”.

I enjoy hearing from Aram on the blogcast he and Jason both add great input on the blogcast.

Kchow23 said:

December 19th, 11:40 am

@Sid Any update on the Share portion of the blog? Currently listening to the podcast :)

lisatsunami said:

December 19th, 11:44 am

Hey, this is early. I’m going to listen now, so I won’t be lulled to sleep by Nick’s soothing deep voice. (I still don’t know what you guys & the Sess talked about last week. Fell asleep on both attempts)

Kchow23 said:

December 19th, 12:05 pm

I have to disagree with Nick.. although I didn’t like the ME3 ending, the entire journey was not nearly as great as ME2. I picked Jack as my love pick from ME2, but I was a bit disappointed with how little she was involved along with the majority of the ME2 characters.

TRIX_BOL said:

December 19th, 12:27 pm

Great blogcast this week, keep up the good work.
And congrats to all of the winning games/developers of the first PlayStation.Blog awards.

Happy holidays!

DZORMAGEN said:

December 19th, 12:32 pm

Cross Controller for the PS3/Vita is broken! Care to explain why a lot of people are having problems not having it to work!! I tried to DL the file on the Vita but it keeps stopping, and every time I try to re-downloading it it restarts! I need answers to this issue NOW!!!

Tjoeb123 said:

December 19th, 12:47 pm

@10 Can you elaborate, please? Mine is working fine until the PS3 controller turns off.

TheTedster said:

December 19th, 12:54 pm

Have a great Christmas!

TRIX_BOL said:

December 19th, 12:54 pm

Just a quick note. Excluding everybody else who has commented on this post, I’m the only one not subscribed to PlayStation Plus.
Good stuff Sony. lol

TRIX_BOL said:

December 19th, 12:55 pm

Now myself and @TheTedster. haha

Undrey said:

December 19th, 1:25 pm

I wish when Aram asked ‘Is Hell Yeah out this year?’ someone says ‘Hell yeah.’

Stupid, but yeah.

BlindMango said:

December 19th, 1:51 pm

Hey guys, can you eventually bring Kristine Steimer back onto the show? Or a female voice? I found that it really changes up the show in a good way, it just makes it sound nice and different

aro52 said:

December 19th, 2:11 pm

Uh oh! What was cut out at ~19mins left…? :)

DevilDriver-339 said:

December 19th, 2:12 pm

SONY SONY!!! YOU SHOULD BUY THQ THEY ARE BAKRUPT RIGHT NOW AND ITS A SHAME THEY HAVE A LOT OF GOOD IP’s C’MON HELP THEM AND HELP GAMERS TOO YOU CAN WIN A LOT OF EXCLUSIVES BY DOING THIS AND GET A LOT OF SELLS FOR YOUR NEXT CONSOLE AND GAMES

TheTedster said:

December 19th, 2:33 pm

@TRIX_BOL
Lol, shhhhh your making us look bad here on the forums…

StealthReborn-- said:

December 19th, 5:10 pm

Alright Sid you’ve forced me into downloading the XCOM demo from the PS store. I like turned based games so hopefully this game will suit me. =)

Happy holidays! =)

Kaddyshacks said:

December 19th, 5:51 pm

You guys should seriously do a segment of the show where you talk about movies. I love your movie talk and your arguments/discussions over Prometheus were one of the more memorable diversions from this year’s episodes. It really shows you have passion for film. How would you work it into the Blogcast, though? Well, I noticed Blu-Rays are getting more notice on the Blog’s store updates, and films are heavily featured on the PSN storefront, so why not do a movie discussion part of the show as well? :)

DZORMAGEN said:

December 19th, 9:12 pm

@11

I have DLed everything, but when I try to DL the file to the Vita it keeps stopping etc.

Elvick_ said:

December 20th, 6:15 am

Please get Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee HD out as soon as possible. I need it.

Gorvi said:

December 20th, 6:23 am

That was getting really awkward to listen to, would it have killed Hsu to not constantly bring up XBOX games? I know from listening to him before that he’s a huge 360 superfan (I hate the word “fanboy”), but my god, man, you’re on a officially run PlayStation podcast, tone it back.

Otherwise great show as usual.

MatheusRuggeri said:

December 20th, 7:10 am

I know that is not the correct place for it, but if I make this question in the Update’s topic I never would receive one answer.
I downloaded the CS:GO’s trial, but, if I try buy this game, seems like if I already bought, but, is a trial.

How can I buy this game?

Elvick_ said:

December 20th, 7:17 am

@25: Did you play through the whole time in the trial? Because it says when you buy/download them that you can’t buy the games until you use up the trial, or something to that effect. That’s all I could think of. Never personally bought any of the after using trials, I would just pick it up on bluray

MatheusRuggeri said:

December 20th, 10:03 am

@26, no, I did not use whole time trial, I will try this. Thanks

gundam08thteam said:

December 20th, 7:01 pm

another good discussion to listen to on my way to work

ItsIntegrity said:

December 21st, 9:23 am

Can someone look into having a ‘SORT’ feature included when we are viewing our download list?

While I really enjoy most of the feel of the new store, especially being able to access add-ons and videos from the games main information screen. This has been MUCH needed. However, at this point in the game me, and many of my friends have an immense download list and the current view of “My Downloads” doesnt even allow me to write the number the download is in my list.

It has needed a ‘SORT’ feature for some time now but if it also had a ‘FILTER’ option, I could then view just add-ons, or only avatars, or even just the main game install package if I ever have to delete corrupted data files.

Thanks guys!

PsychoSploosh69 said:

December 21st, 3:09 pm

Hey sid, I love listening to the blogcast every week. One suggestion though, I never hear you guys talking about Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row. I’d like to hear what you guys think on the Blogcast of both series, maybe even do a comparison and see which you prefer? Maybe sometime down the road even possibly interview someone from volition games? Saints Row 3 technically came out late 2011 but it’s been my favourite game this year so far. I’m a diehard gta fan but I found SR3 blew it away, esp. the vibrant colour. I so can’t wait for SR4.