God of War

Feb 27

Feb 27

Introducing Thomas Was Alone, coming soon to PS3 and PS Vita

Mike Bithell's Avatar Posted by Designer

Lead image Thomas Was Alone

The first console I ever bought for myself was a PlayStation 2. I remember digesting every single game on the packaged demo disk in fevered anticipation, while saving up the money to buy Metal Gear Solid 2 to go with it. For the record, I always thought Raiden was cool.

Now I’ve wowed you with my PlayStation fanboy credentials, I hope you’ll understand the excitement I feel at uttering the following words: This Spring, Thomas Was Alone is coming to PlayStation 3 and PS Vita (with cross buy).

Which is, if we’re honest, ridiculous. I made a game about rectangles and friendship in my free time. I was lucky enough to find some incredible collaborators who made my script sound good, and my environments sound far more awesome than their humble rectangular graphics. I was shocked when a community formed and people actually played it. According to the internet, they liked it too.

And, thanks to the cool people at Bossa, Curve and Sony, that game is coming to a console near you, very, very soon.

Thomas Was Alone 2Thomas was alone 5

Thomas Was Alone is a platformer where the goal is simple – get all the characters to their exit portals. You’ll find that becomes increasingly harder than it sounds. Use their skills in tandem, be it flotation, anti-gravity, bounciness or, well, jumping slightly higher.

Along the way, you’ll hear an awesome story narrated by Danny Wallace (Assassin’s Creed) and scored by the epically talented David Housden. On PS Vita, you can use the touchscreens to select characters, or to control the camera.

Thomas Was Alone 3

We’ve made a new creator’s commentary for the main game itself, and there’s a new timed exclusive DLC prologue about a square who is given a jetpack. I’m pretty chuffed with it. As I said. Ridiculous. But awesome.

Add Your Own

Tidusfanboy said:

February 27th, 8:06 am

Is this a retail purchase or is a PSN title?

David2Crazy said:

February 27th, 8:06 am

Awesome that Sony is supporting these small indie developers. Will definitely be checking this one out!

Zookey said:

February 27th, 8:08 am

Congrats and will buy!

Undrey said:

February 27th, 8:12 am

Thomas Was what?

;)

TitleOne said:

February 27th, 8:13 am

Haha, looks pretty interesting, you have my attention I’ll give you that.

Elvick_ said:

February 27th, 8:16 am

Seems interesting. I’ll give it a shot depending on the price.

Undrey said:

February 27th, 8:19 am

Just saw that he was alone, I thought the game was Thomas Was :P.

matriXiXiX said:

February 27th, 8:22 am

WOW. Console quality gaming on the go. Sony as of right now you are killing and I mean murdering the Vita. Crap like this should be reserved for smartphone gaming. The Vita deserves way better than this. Hey at least Killzone will be out at the end of this year. Hopefully that won’t get screwed up like Resistance and Call of Duty for Vita was.

Congrats on smothering great technology!

Mike Bithell's Avatar

Mike Bithell said:

February 27th, 10:46 am

*rushes off to add machine guns to Thomas…*

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 27th, 8:26 am

Looks really interesting, looking forward to it!

cronqvist said:

February 27th, 8:27 am

I bought it the day it came out for PC/Mac, and it’s one of the best platformers I played last year. Even if it’s priced at $15 (but hopefully it’ll be $9.99) it’s worth every penny. I know I’ll be buying it. Congrats on bringing Thomas to the Sony family!

Mike Bithell's Avatar

Mike Bithell said:

February 27th, 10:47 am

Thanks! Your support made this happen, go pat yourself on the back :)

ryman222 said:

February 27th, 8:31 am

Looks interesting, I’ll def buy it if it’s below $15

remanutd5 said:

February 27th, 8:32 am

Well it seems interesting but where are the inFAMOUS, God of War, Gran Turismo, proper Motorstorm, better Resistance games? Sly Cooper Thieves in Time is great but we need more games like it, how about porting Fat Princess, Dead Nation and Warhawk over to the vita?

pokota03 said:

February 27th, 8:32 am

I’ve heard good things about this game from more than one source. I’m looking forward to grabbing it when I get the chance.

Dee_Jinx said:

February 27th, 8:33 am

Long live PS2! MGS2 will never die, just like Vamp! lol

ZaGe-zAiKaNo said:

February 27th, 8:47 am

It’s giving me that “Knytt Underground” vibe. Which is awesome.

I’d love to try this & i wish you guys give out a demo for it?

Elvick_ said:

February 27th, 8:52 am

@8: People like you are why so many don’t take gaming seriously. Not every game is made to appeal to the wonder that is you. Get over yourself.

naDOOFUS said:

February 27th, 8:53 am

I adore this game so I am pleased as punch hear it is coming to PSN.

Maxpower1096 said:

February 27th, 9:00 am

I saw Total Biscuit Play this and it looked neat. But I am not sure about the new narrator, I liked the old one. Hopefully the new animator is just as good.

Mike Bithell's Avatar

Mike Bithell said:

February 27th, 10:48 am

nothing’s changed on the composer / narrator side.. all the same people, they just made new additional stuff for the DLC :)

UncannySilk said:

February 27th, 9:19 am

Groovy.

Gorvi said:

February 27th, 9:25 am

Awesome, I love this steady flow of indie games that have been coming lately, especially for the Vita. They’re such a perfect fit. Now, Sony, go after They Bleed Pixels, Dungeons of Dredmor, Legend of Grimrock, and To The Moon on Vita, I’d absolutely buy them again to play them on there.

whatisdelicious said:

February 27th, 9:28 am

This is awesome. I really wanted to buy it on Steam but I just can never motivate myself to play games on my PC. I can definitely see myself playing this on my Vita.

Also, seriously, Sony, kudos for picking up all these indie titles from Steam. Incredible move and a great way to keep positioning yourself as the indie-friendly platform. Just get FTL on my Vita and we’re golden. I emailed the guys behind FTL to ask if a Vita version would ever come and they basically said that they like the Vita a lot but they have no plans to do that. It’d be totally worth it to court them though and get FTL on PS3 and Vita. That’d be a great portable game and honestly would be one of the best Vita titles, worth getting the system for. Plus, all the respect you’d get from the indie and hardcore crowds.

@18 Maxpower1096: New narrator? Danny Wallace did the original as well from what I understand.

lisatsunami said:

February 27th, 9:33 am

Yay, more Vita content, thanks

WorcesterRaider said:

February 27th, 9:37 am

Really excited for this to come to PS3 and Vita. I enjoy Steam but I’m not crazy about the controls on PC. Love to support indies on PS3 and Vita. There was a great article on Penny Arcade regarding Indies and the Vita and its nice to see Hotline Miami and now this coming!

capice2003 said:

February 27th, 9:41 am

Is there any new word in relation to the Phantasy Star Online ?

Shacojin said:

February 27th, 10:15 am

Please produce 64GB or 128GB vita memory sticks im running out of space!

Ricen-Beans said:

February 27th, 10:37 am

You guys really should’ve posted a video or trailer for this game. Was about to skip on the screenshots alone but checked out a lets play and now it’s a day one purchase!

The narration and especially the music sound awesome!

And of course gameplay looks cool too. Hope this comes out soon and is appropriately priced. (PS+ love?)

Dronre said:

February 27th, 11:01 am

Oooh, will it be $9.99 as it was on Steam?

Mike Bithell's Avatar

Mike Bithell said:

February 27th, 11:17 am

price still being discussed :)

saskamazon said:

February 27th, 11:11 am

would love a video … but will keep it on the radar. sounds as though it has been well received, & as I like platformers that are a little off the beaten path – I’ll look for it … “coming very very soon” . :-)

anti-altair16 said:

February 27th, 11:49 am

Glad to see Sony going all out with these indie titles. With Hotline Miami coming to PSN and now this, I’m excited to see more games coming to my Vita & PS3. I already played Hotline Miami and it was a blast! I only heard of this games name but seeing the trailer you posted, I like the music, narrator, & that it’s a platformer. I will be buying this and Hotline Miami to show you indie guys some love.

Now Sony has to keep the indie games coming. FTL & To The Moon would be great additions. I love both of those games.

Zevrou said:

February 27th, 11:57 am

this game is awesome, give yourself a pat on the back sony, you deserve it!

terrencec06 said:

February 27th, 12:02 pm

The platforming looks very good in this game. If priced right I will give it a shot.

BWOzar said:

February 27th, 12:27 pm

It’s a joy to see the Vita develop into the ‘Indie’ machine. Something just makes more sense about games like Thomas Was Alone (or Sound Shapes or Bit.Trip.Runner.2) on the Vita. Very excited to make a day one purchase on this.

Obviously, Mike, you can’t change Sony policies but I’m curious if there’s any chance of Sony instituting a pre-order program for PSN games. Perhaps get a small DLC/soundtrack/theme reward, or even a slightly lower price, as a reward for supporting a product before release?

TheSporkWithin said:

February 27th, 12:32 pm

I’m so happy about all these indies on Sony platforms. I’ll have to make a page just for indies on my Vita: Knytt Underground, Thomas Was Alone, Runner 2, Sine Mora… I’m loving this.

tusunami said:

February 27th, 12:36 pm

Cool beans another PS Vita game incoming, indie developers keep supporting PS Vita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

February 27th, 12:39 pm

Price it accordingly and I may be interested.

saintaqua said:

February 27th, 12:46 pm

hope it’s affordable. my vita would be a nice home if it is.

RenderMonk said:

February 27th, 12:54 pm

@ Mike Concerning comment #8

This clown doesn’t represent the whole of Playstation gamers. Most of us rather enjoy the unique indie games that are on PS3 and we expecially love to see them make their way to the Vita. Congrats on all the hard work that went into this game, and thanks for releasing it for us to enjoy.

P.S. Awesome reply to that FPS-lovin clown! More restraint than I would have been able to show.

DarkSeraphim666 said:

February 27th, 1:12 pm

Awesome. This combined with the news about Hotline Miami coming as well just go to show the work Sony puts in with the Indie PC crowd in bringing lauded stuff over to PSN. Can’t get enough of that exceptional relationship Sony has been able to foster.

Maxpower1096 said:

February 27th, 1:40 pm

@Mike Bithell
Thanks for the reply! I am glad to hear that we get the same narrator :)

TitleOne said:

February 27th, 2:12 pm

There’s always a tool like matriXiXiX making a dumb comment.

erico316ecw said:

February 27th, 2:20 pm

i never heard of this game before but it look like samething fresh and new. i would love a trailer since those screen shot dont allow you to get a sence of what this game about. i would also like to ask directly how do you like the vita as a developer and do you see a future for the platform?

RE_Player said:

February 27th, 2:45 pm

Heard so much good things about the game but never got around to playing it. Now that’s it coming to Vita I’ll make to sure to get it ASAP.

plaztiksyke said:

February 27th, 3:02 pm

I am so excited for this. The Vita is becoming a fantastic platform for these kinds of “alternative” gaming experiences. I’d love to see The Binding of Isaac, Today I Die (Again), and similar games come to the platform as well.

Can we look forward to native resolution rendering and high-bitrate AAC/Ogg music assets that take advantage of the Vita’s capabilities?

aozoranokiseki said:

February 27th, 3:57 pm

Oh my goodness, congratulations, Mr. Bithell! I fell in love with this game on PC and can’t wait to play it on PS3 (big screen, whoo!) and Vita (touch controls, omg)!

I hope this is a big success so we can get a sequel or even just another game from you with your awesome storytelling. :D

branant221 said:

February 27th, 6:36 pm

The first system I ever bought for myself was the Super Nintendo…….I feel old

nvr0999 said:

February 27th, 7:00 pm

I’d give it a shot if priced at $10.00 or below. It looks really awesome!

Oisterboy said:

February 27th, 7:48 pm

Most of us here have grown to appreciate the art of simplicity and can enjoy something different. That’s why I choose Sony. People looking for rehashed first person shooters with slightly different content from game a to b should pack right up and head to the less superior console. They’d love you over there.

Just let the rest of us smile and enjoy the awesome things Sony delivers like this game. Times are changing, games are changing. And I love the direction its headed personally.

GhostMachine1 said:

February 27th, 9:17 pm

Was Jim Sterling REALLY the reason you guys went the fantastic cross-buy direction? I always support indie developers who make creative games. You’ll soon have my $$!

DasRequiem said:

February 28th, 9:06 am

it looks very interesting!
I just need to know the price and date of release :)

bigjosh50 said:

February 28th, 10:31 am

Looks to be a great game, you just dont ever know bout indie developers I mean just take Journey for example :)