PlayStation VR

Mar 02

Mar 02

Heart Forth, Alicia Coming to PS4, PS Vita Early 2016

Alonso Martin's Avatar Posted by Lead Developer, Heart Forth, Alicia

Heart Forth, Alicia

Hey everyone! I’m Alonso Martin, the lead developer of Heart Forth, Alicia — an upcoming Metroidvania RPG about a young wizard on her journey to stop a Spirit from consuming her homeland.

Heart Forth, Alicia is a ’90s-inspired adventure that combines the electrifying gameplay of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the expansive world & dungeons of the Zelda series, and the unfolding story style of Xenogears… except it’s a little darker and has its own fantasy twist. You can watch the trailer here.

Up till May last year, I’d been the sole developer of this game for a few years. Thanks to the incredible support of the Kickstarter crowd and the outlets that covered the campaign, the game grew into a much bigger project, and it’s thanks to them that we’re able to bring the game to PS4 and PS Vita in early 2016.

Even the legendary Manami Matsumae (composer of Mega Man, Mighty No. 9, Shovel Knight) came aboard to produce a few tracks for the game! These past months have been one of the best things that’ve ever happened to me.

Features of the game

Heart Forth, Alicia’s inspired by games that hold a special place in my heart and by the things I loved about them. There’s always been something magical about the open-world nature of games like Zelda and Super Metroid where everything’s filled with content, and the compelling story style of games like Xenogears or Final Fantasy VII.

These two things are seldom packaged together in Metroidvanias, so I took it upon myself to make a game where the player can enjoy both the fun, open-ended exploration experience with upgrades and unlockables, and the excitement of taking part in an epic storyline like those in some of my favorite Square games of the late ’90s.

Making this happen is a tall order for sure, but if Heart Forth, Alicia can even bring back part of the wonder and magic those great games had, I’ll consider it a job well done.

• Adventure through an intricately detailed world filled with wonders, creative puzzles, secrets and lethal dungeons.
  • Engage in fast, agile melee combat with over 20 special attacks & upgrades, and devastating magic spells to annihilate your enemies.
  • Play with powerful RPG elements that include the gear, loot, sidequests, and gameplay depth that make for a classic RPG experience.
  • Discover 5 secret fairy familiars to crush, shock, freeze, and burn your enemies, or save you at your most dire moment of need.
  • Experience a deep and unfolding story that takes place centuries after the War of the Fatherlands, starring a cast of fascinating and complex characters.

Going to GDC!

The nice guys at PlayStation gave us the opportunity to showcase a PS4 demo of the game at GDC this next Wednesday, March 4th @ their South Hall Expo booths. We will be showing a part of the recently overhauled introduction, which is also sporting the recent change into widescreen mode, adding 80 sexy pixels horizontally.

Heart Forth, Alicia

This is both really exciting and thrilling for me, as it will be the first time the game will be shown in public after several years in the making. The team and I have worked our best to make this PS4 demo as fun and engaging as possible, so it’ll be really rewarding to watch people play through it.

Stay tuned for more updates on Heart Forth, Alicia, and thanks for reading!

Heart Forth, Alicia

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

SteeLFaisca said:

March 2nd, 8:01 am

So, appears to be a great game, but where’s the IGC?

xFinal-Freakx said:

March 2nd, 8:03 am

I will get this for Vita, looks very nice.

dariocba2014 said:

March 2nd, 8:03 am

well, we will have to keep playing the waiting game………

cubbielovr said:

March 2nd, 8:03 am

Very cool art style! Count me in…

CapJSheridan said:

March 2nd, 8:03 am

it doesn’t look anything like the mentioned titles =(

bilaliqbal178 said:

March 2nd, 8:03 am

I don’t care. Where are the bloody plus free games for the March……..

Hefestus91 said:

March 2nd, 8:06 am

I was coming to ***** about the IGC but the game made me forget that, this looks really nice!! I’m so getting this on vita :D

androvsky said:

March 2nd, 8:07 am

Looks great, I love that you put gifs in the blog post. That really helps sell games at a glance, especially the more retro ones.

By the way, let’s try not to bag on these developers for Sony not announcing the Plus games yet.

OtterX said:

March 2nd, 8:07 am

This looks fantastic! 2016 seems so far away. :\ I still look forward to playing this though, especially on Vita!

maxcoronel2014 said:

March 2nd, 8:07 am

Beautyful.

mmitch079 said:

March 2nd, 8:07 am

Looks great, looking forward to it. Do yourself a favor and don’t release it for free on PS+, not with all the crying going on about how March’s list hasn’t been released.

ShariusTC said:

March 2nd, 8:07 am

cool game, but i rather we have ICG now, i can’t feel my F5 anymore

spacedelete2 said:

March 2nd, 8:08 am

stop trolling us Sony and tell us what the free PS Plus games are for March. they better be earth shattering to keep us waiting this long. do not ignore and disrespect your customers Sony. Microsoft did that and lost a lot of their customers.

Alkanida said:

March 2nd, 8:09 am

hahaha…the more time they take, the more I’ll get disappointed.

I’m sure it’s gonna be another 8bit Month for us.

Thanks for taking care of your customers, Sony!

Acefondu said:

March 2nd, 8:10 am

This game is right up my alley. I hope there is good coverage of it to remind me by the time 2016 rolls around to get it or I’ll likely forget about it lol.

BuriedSorrow said:

March 2nd, 8:10 am

Early 2016? Seems a ways off. It looks beautiful though, but I can’t seem to get into games like this anymore.

Awesomegamer2196 said:

March 2nd, 8:10 am

Wow! Thus game looks amazing, and the fact that it’s coming to the Vita is awesome. Can’t wait!

Souldgps said:

March 2nd, 8:10 am

would be compatible with VitaTV ??

Rainwater said:

March 2nd, 8:12 am

Wow, really love the art style and animation! Looks great!

Wilkz13 said:

March 2nd, 8:12 am

I’m in . that looks great.

PunkrawkBbob said:

March 2nd, 8:13 am

+ CapJSheridan on March 2nd, 2015 at 8:03 am said:
it doesn’t look anything like the mentioned titles =(
———–
Gameplay looks very much like a metroidvania – As for being inspired by something it doesn’t mean it’s a mash-up of them. Demon’s Souls was inspired by Legend of Zelda more so than any other game. You couldn’t tell by a glancing look at it though.

GStylez1980 said:

March 2nd, 8:15 am

First of all…yes, yes, YES to Heart Forth, Alicia!!! I read about this game in the newest Game Informer and thought to myself, “This is exactly the type of game that I want to play on my Vita.” I realized that the platform was perfect for the Metroidvania platformers after playing and falling in love with Guacamelee! If you guys can deliver on even half of what you’re talking about and what I’m seeing in the GIFs, then you’ll get my money.

Bloggers: Please don’t go all “un-Dude” on this blog post with negative reviews and comments because you want your March IGC preview post. It’s unfair to this game’s developer and to other bloggers who want an honest assessment of how we feel about Heart Forth, Alicia. Respect Alonso for his years of hard work on a game that many of us will ultimately enjoy. Complain to Sony through Twitter, Facebook, telephone or carrier pigeon…but not here. Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter: @brg_esq
Friend me on PSN: GStylez1980

Nergil said:

March 2nd, 8:15 am

Asking about IGC on every post is really rude to those who want to convey information about their new game. I’m sure the developer, Heart Forth, has no say as to when the IGC will be announced. It’s one thing to be mad at those responsible (although not really a big deal and being as angry as some are is ridiculous), but it’s another thing entirely to post the same whining on every post, regardless of who the post is from or how relevant it is.

Robbie_G_lrish said:

March 2nd, 8:18 am

It looks like it’s gonna be really good. I know you’re going for a retro look but is the aspect ratio in the trailer going to be in the final game? It’s great to know it’s coming to Vita, thanks.

JaystainC said:

March 2nd, 8:18 am

Yeeeeees

Crunchewy said:

March 2nd, 8:20 am

I feel sorry for you folks that are emotionally wounded by not finding out what the PS+ game are ahead of time.

This game looks like it has potential. Will keep an eye on it.

spacedelete2 said:

March 2nd, 8:20 am

Nirgil i could care less about trashy idie games like this. if that hurts your feelings or the developers feelings then boo hoo tough luck. Sony should treat us paying customers better if they expect the same treatment.

TwinDad said:

March 2nd, 8:23 am

Looks like a great game. Look forward to hearing more about this as we march towards it’s early 2016 release.

Corn69 said:

March 2nd, 8:23 am

More old school two d games on a super computer please!

graphics up grades are for:

WayneGauvin said:

March 2nd, 8:23 am

Wow, people are really angry. “You can’t always get what you want”

BTW – this game looks great. I’m not really into day one purchases, but I may make an exception with this one. Please keep us posted on this game, I don’t want to forget about it.

spacedelete2 said:

March 2nd, 8:24 am

also if the devs are reading this if you want an opinion heres mine. keep your indie games on platforms such as Wii U and smart phones were they belong with the rest of the shovelware. i brought my PS4 to play AAA games.

Nergil said:

March 2nd, 8:24 am

@spacedelete2
No, it doesn’t hurt my feelings at all. I’m used to people being entitled, selfish, and inconsiderate. This post is not from Sony, so how they treat their customers is irrelevant. And just because you’re not a fan of “trashy indie games”, doesn’t mean the people working on it don’t deserve simple respect that you would afford anybody.

Remmy8199 said:

March 2nd, 8:24 am

Ok, you guys are just stalling at this point.

Zepherj said:

March 2nd, 8:26 am

Looks like an excellent Vita game. Can’t wait to take it for a spin. Thanks for your hard work.

WayneGauvin said:

March 2nd, 8:26 am

@spacedelete2
You are not even a plus subscriber!

WayneGauvin said:

March 2nd, 8:27 am

@spacedelete2
you really need to be. we get fantastic games

WayneGauvin said:

March 2nd, 8:27 am

@spacedelete2
and sometimes…cake

BriarPatch512 said:

March 2nd, 8:28 am

I read about this in Game Informer this past month. Looks excellent, glad to see it’s coming to PS4! The Metroid-vania formula is one that works so well and it’s one of my personal favorites. Good luck in the final stretch, can’t wait to play your hard work!

Criscross87v3 said:

March 2nd, 8:28 am

You already sold me the game with the mention of Vita & Metroidvania. 2016 feels so far away At least indie games tend to release on time.

I also hate how commentors in this blog complain about Sony problems in THIRD-PARTY blog posts. It’s so disrepectful. Nobody if someone came to their job and complained about a different company they have no control over. Flood Playstation’s Twitter if you have a problem with them. Stop scaring guests away from promoting their games.

TeamGreen615 said:

March 2nd, 8:30 am

Vita, RPG… Yes please!

SureBigBuster said:

March 2nd, 8:31 am

OMG this looks incredible!! You definitely have my attention! :)

OuterSpaceJunky said:

March 2nd, 8:31 am

This looks very interesting! I remember seeing it in Game Informer’s spread on upcoming Metroidvania games. I also like the inclusion of gifs to show off some of the gameplay.

Good luck at GDC! And try to ignore these disrespectful clowns and their complaints about the IGC.

spacedelete2 said:

March 2nd, 8:32 am

WayneGauvin thats because my PS Plus subscription expired just a few days ago and was hoping we would get good PS Plus games before i resub. i’m not paying for these little indie games that have worse graphics than some mobile games. mark my words if we don’t stand up for ourselves PS Plus will get even worse as Sony is trying to save every penny it gets to clear its massive debt.

KazeEternal said:

March 2nd, 8:34 am

I’m one happy backer.

Don’t suppose you guys need an extra Software Engineer. lol

Silver_shion said:

March 2nd, 8:39 am

Good god ! It’s beautiful

Gorvi said:

March 2nd, 8:40 am

Wow, that looks amazing, I can’t wait to see more.

xxpatriciogbxx said:

March 2nd, 8:40 am

I want my ps plus games announce

MosesUnspoken said:

March 2nd, 8:41 am

Anything inspired by Xenogears is worth being excited for. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this game. Loving the artstyle and if the music is as good, you’ll definitely have a hit on your hands.

Good luck with finishing your game. Can”t wait. :)

Rammel29 said:

March 2nd, 8:44 am

This looks great love the art style, look forward to more info over the come months. Also, will it be cross-buy and feature cross-save?

Bellalara said:

March 2nd, 8:44 am

So getting this for VIta!

PAGE 1 2