Final Fantasy XV

Apr 29

Apr 29

PS Plus: Free Games for May 2015

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

Another collection of excellent games joins PlayStation Plus this May, and you’ve come to the right place for details!

Let’s begin with a fan-favorite game with a crazy colorful art style: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition on PS4. Is that title a mouthful? Sure! A mouthful of delicious hand-to-hand combat! Bask in Guacamelee’s mix of platforming, puzzle solving, and exquisite video game humor.

Also up for grabs on PS4: Ether One. This new, first-person puzzle game tasks you with restoring the broken minds of the mentally ill through surreal puzzles. Can you unravel their tangled lives and also find answers to your own desperate questions?

Other games this month include the critically acclaimed indie project The Unfinished Swan, solar speed-demon Race the Sun, and the calmly explorative Hohokum, all of which are available on PS4, PS3, and PS Vita. As well as the oddly charming Murasaki Baby, available on PS Vita.

These games will be free for Plus members starting on May 5th. Would you like to know more? Hit the video below, and hear me rant about video games for a few minutes!

3 Month PS Plus12 Month PS Plus

May’s PlayStation Plus Preview
Guacamelee
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members
This 2D brawler/platformer hybrid is inspired by Mexican folklore and has a vivid art style to match. Explore a huge world, learn the robust fighting system, and enjoy some drop-in, drop-out co-op.

Ether One
Ether One (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members
This haunting, first-person puzzler tasks you with restoring the minds of the mentally ill by solving complex puzzles and sewing together the frayed strands of the patient’s lives. Be warned: not everything is as it seems.

The Unfinished Swan
The Unfinished Swan (PS4 | PS3 | PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
Developer Giant Sparrow made big waves with this project thanks to its astounding art style and thought-provoking gameplay. Will you help find a fitting end to this fairy tale? Experience a breath-taking story filled with delightful twists.

Race the Sun
Race the Sun (PS4 | PS3 | PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
This minimalist racing game forces you to compete against the setting sun in what is both a deeply calming and nail-biting session. That may sound like a contradiction, but it’s true!

Hohokum
Hohokum (PS4 | PS3 | PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
A supremely relaxing game that’s bursting at the seams with personality. Explore a crazy, colorful world, meet new friends, and just let go as you listen to the incredible soundtrack by a collection of talented artists.

Murasaki Baby
Murasaki Baby (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
A strange puzzle game with an eerie atmosphere. Players guide Baby through a nightmarish landscape in search of home. It’s cute, and also a little weird.

Before you go, we want your feedback! Please take our poll, and leave us a comment below. If you’re still feeling chatty, join us in our PlayStation Community forums.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 12

Superstone said:

April 29th, 8:57 am

Nice. Can’t wait

Seluhir said:

April 29th, 8:59 am

Been wanting to try Guacamelee…. for free makes me want to even more ;)

ZoSam32 said:

April 29th, 9:00 am

Great line up this month!!

alarionultima said:

April 29th, 9:00 am

meh

Amnalehu said:

April 29th, 9:00 am

Very nice line up. I should know because I have all but one of the games! I’m glad to see Mursaki Baby. Amazing game. Keep it coming!

cmdluke said:

April 29th, 9:00 am

Not a great month for me. Already played guacamelee, bought unfinished swan. Murasaki baby looks cool. Will try hohokum.

TomHoang said:

April 29th, 9:00 am

Murasaki Baby is a great, atmospheric Vita game. I’m happy more people will get to experience it. Also excited to platinum Guacamelee…again!

stalemate666 said:

April 29th, 9:01 am

Ouch really weak month. The 2 ps4 only games look good (I do not own a ps4) but aside from that the only game I’m interested in is unfinished swan and I already bought awhile ago.

yentair said:

April 29th, 9:01 am

Already have Guacamelee and Unfinished Swan, but they’re both awesome games.
Hohokum and Murasaki Baby makes this a great month for me.
Thanks Sony!

Roloniche said:

April 29th, 9:02 am

Hey they’re free!

Mayoubaz2 said:

April 29th, 9:02 am

6 indie games long time for that ****

Shao17 said:

April 29th, 9:02 am

Nice list specially for Guacamelee. Also nice to see Shovel Knight it’s not in the list because i just bought it :)

KidGreengene said:

April 29th, 9:03 am

Never heard of Ether One. Anyone have anything to add for this game? Guacelmelee! is always a good title :) I bought Unfinished Swan and that is a very enjoyable game although I have no interest in Race the Sun. But Vita… Mmmm… love getting good Vita titles and those are two I have had my eye on.

DJ_Tomato said:

April 29th, 9:03 am

What’s with all the indie trash for Vita (AGAIN) this month?

Geez Sony

Step it up

DJ_Tomato said:

April 29th, 9:04 am

Nothing for me this month

dariocba2014 said:

April 29th, 9:04 am

I was expecting a AAA game, not gonna lie. But the games look good nonetheless

Warped said:

April 29th, 9:04 am

Guacamelee is a great game! I’ve beat it on PS3 working on it on vita and now I can have it on PS4! also its great to have the cross buy game on the list even more games for PS4. Not bad guys, not bad at all.

SinceByDarren said:

April 29th, 9:04 am

Guacamelee is one of my personal favorite games in the last 5 years. Challenging and fast paced but perfectly balanced. I got the Platinum from the STCE on PS4.

I’m glad I can play everyone of these games between my PS4 and Vita.

NekoNiv said:

April 29th, 9:05 am

Yea._ i don’t think i’ll enjoy this month content outside of melee. Starting to grow sick of ithe small bite size games.

Frostytude said:

April 29th, 9:05 am

Wasn’t guacamelee free for ps3 once? There is also a cheap/free ps4 upgrade. (Forgot) this month’s lineup is terrible (nothing against indies btw)

istrain71 said:

April 29th, 9:05 am

Not terrible. At least there’s lots of cross buy. I always thought Unfinished Swan looked interesting.

PSN: istrain71
Twitter: @istrain71
Twitch: twitch.tv/istrain71
YouTube: YouTube.com/c/ianstrain1971

xenokurisu said:

April 29th, 9:05 am

*yawn* Boring month for me as I’ve already played these…

Frodomec said:

April 29th, 9:06 am

No CrossBuy for Guacamelee?

luckycreature said:

April 29th, 9:07 am

Wow. 5 games for Ps4 owners!!! Guess I’m gonna be busy playing great games this month. Thanks Playstation!

PowerGusso-US said:

April 29th, 9:07 am

AAA?
With the PSNow the Plus lineup is getting worse every month, wakeup Sony!

SiloEyes said:

April 29th, 9:07 am

Sorry guys, love Playstation, but I just can’t afford to renew for another year of Plus for $50 when month after month I’ve just been getting nothing in return like this. :(

NekoNiv said:

April 29th, 9:08 am

@10 they are not free, not really a bonus either

Dragonslayer_023 said:

April 29th, 9:09 am

Awesome line-up this month, unfortunately for me I own four of them already.

gohan16ken said:

April 29th, 9:10 am

Dear Sony,

I came to PS+ several years after it started and missed a lot of awesome games. Can you do like a special retroactive flash IGC promotion please? Thanks.

Blackballhog said:

April 29th, 9:10 am

Nothing for me this month…naturally i just bought Guacamelee and on sale and had Unfinished Swan. But PsPlus is still a great deal regardless.

MyrequeArk said:

April 29th, 9:11 am

Wow… Last month was actually kinda good but this one is just… Ugh…

Try harder next month pretty please.

PowerGusso-US said:

April 29th, 9:12 am

People don’t forget to answer the feedback survey on end of the post for the lineup, this is the only way to show our unhappiness with this situation!!!

Link: http://playstationblog.polldaddy.com/s/what-are-your-thoughts-on-current-instant-game-collection-mar14-14

bbswarrior_11 said:

April 29th, 9:12 am

It´s a good line up. I´ll finally play Guacamelee, though I kinda hoped it was for the vita too. I´ll give Race the sun and Ether one a try as well. I already own Hohokum and Unfinished Swan and I´m not really interested in Murasaki baby, though I´ve heard good things about it.

Thanks again to the Playstation team! Some people will always complain, mainly indie haters, but I think it´s more than obvious that ps plus is absolutely great value for money.

gohan16ken said:

April 29th, 9:12 am

Dear Sony,

Also, please allow current PS+ users who originally got a game via IGC to purchase that game outright. I wanted to buy Batman Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago during the promotion but I could not because I already had the license via PS+ and I didn’t want to create a new PSN ID. Thanks.

topes521 said:

April 29th, 9:12 am

Glad I waited on Guacamelee, I knew it’d eventually end up on +. But isn’t this about the 3rd time Unfinished Swan has been on +? While I’ve owned & beaten Knack on PS4 I’m surprised it, being a 1st party game that has probably made as much $ as it will, has yet to hit + for PS4 owners.

RampageDeluxe said:

April 29th, 9:12 am

@22 If Guacamelee was CrossBuy, then we would all already have it from the last time the game was on PS Plus.

perfectly_human said:

April 29th, 9:13 am

Already had Unfinished Swan. It needs cross-save. Played part way on PS3, then went to play on PS4 but couldn’t pick up from where I was on PS3. Otherwise it’s a nice, creative game.

X_Ramiro21 said:

April 29th, 9:13 am

Wow, even the PS3 is getting indies only now… I don’t complain about PS Plus games cuz I usually enjoy the ones I get for PS3, but now? Lol, I don’t know what to say xD

avanfreak23 said:

April 29th, 9:14 am

Already have Guacamelee and Unfinished Swan but i’ll give it a try to Hohokum and Murasaki baby.

Btw. What happened to Kristine Steimer and Morgan Haro?

moog said:

April 29th, 9:15 am

Wow, the worst PS+ “free” games month since I became a subscriber several years ago. May is my last full month before my sub expires. No renewal for me. The last year has pretty much been a unity 3d turdfest.

Billy_The_Puppet said:

April 29th, 9:17 am

Hopefully we get Knack, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Rayman Legends,
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Director’s Cut in the future

toranoshi_us said:

April 29th, 9:18 am

I’m not renewing my PS+

Blackiemoo said:

April 29th, 9:18 am

This is great! A few games here I always wanted to play but never got to. This will keep me busy for awhile :)

topes521 said:

April 29th, 9:19 am

#37 – Don’t know about Kristine, but Morgan’s been gone for a while now. He’s a Sr Project Manager on Sony’s web team

WhimsyMinion said:

April 29th, 9:19 am

With cross-buy that makes 4 PS4 games I don’t have. Awesome, I was wanting to try Race the Sun and Hohokum!

fadingshadow said:

April 29th, 9:20 am

What a killer lineup for May! Thanks for filling us in, Ryan Clements (favorite writer). I love the fact that there PS Vita love everywhere for May. I’m gonna need to make room for my 16 GB memory card. I already have too many PS Vita games. lol

BlueFrog007 said:

April 29th, 9:21 am

Loooooove Hohokum (so much that I bought one of the limited edition prints, and the soundtrack). Ether One looks really interesting.

db_SuPrEmE said:

April 29th, 9:21 am

Was excited to see the ps plus free games for May, but now I’m disappointed….. Crappy lineup all but guacamelee. So tired of puzzle and indie games!

HackedLife said:

April 29th, 9:22 am

BOOOOORING. Remember when PS+ actually had games people might want to play? That was nice.

Dasme said:

April 29th, 9:26 am

Wow, 5 FREE PS4 titles in May and yet all I see is people complaining. Time to get over yourselves people and play some fun games. There is more to the hobby than COD and Madden. Just because something is indie doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Remember that the other console gets 1 game a month. We get multiples on each platform, hate all you want but that is a pretty fantastic deal. Keep it up Sony!

PAGE 1 2 3 12