Knack 2

Jun 11

Jun 11

The Last of Us Part II Gameplay Revealed

See over 10 minutes of new footage from The Last of Us Part II.

Neil Druckmann's Avatar Posted by Director, The Last of Us Part II

Six months ago, I promised that we would have something special to share with you at E3 2018, and I’m excited to finally say that the wait is over. Here is the world premiere of The Last of Us Part II gameplay:

In The Last of Us Part II, Ellie is now 19 and has found a semblance of peace and normality living in Jackson. She’s had a chance to be a teenager and forge lasting relationships. When that peace is disrupted by a violent act, Ellie is thrust into a brutal journey of retribution, fueled by a need to bring those that have wronged her to justice, pushing her to her very limits.

From the way Ellie plays to the way she navigates through this hostile world, you’re going to feel her physical, emotional, and mental state expressed through every facet of gameplay. We’ve completely overhauled our engine, developed new combat mechanics, created a new analog stealth system, and revamped our animation system to fully express Ellie’s desperation, resourcefulness, and unique agility.

The Last of Us Part IIThe Last of Us Part II

We’re also upping the stakes and tension of the world. Our environments are broader, more complex, and more detailed–bringing unprecedented realism, verticality, and player choice to the world of The Last of Us. The human enemies you’ll encounter are now more threatening and capable, using sophisticated communication and environmental awareness to create intense, more dynamic stealth and head-on combat encounters.

All of this is underscored by the characters that surround Ellie and their shared experience. The Last of Us Part II features new and returning characters (including that gruff Texan who’s yet to make his full appearance), brought to life by our latest performance capture techniques and our exceptional cast. This week at E3, Ellie, played by Ashley Johnson, is joined by two new characters: Dina, played by Shannon Woodward, and Jesse, played by Stephen Chang.

The Last of Us Part IIThe Last of Us Part II

We’ve got a lot more to discuss in the week ahead at E3, including interviews and live show appearances. We’re kicking it off with a panel at the E3 Coliseum on Tuesday, June 12, at 11am PT. On Wednesday at 4:30pm PT, our Co-Game Directors Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau will appear on the PlayStation Live from E3 stream as they do an in-depth breakdown of our gameplay demo. Don’t miss it!

Until next time, endure and survive,
Neil

Add Your Own

gohan16ken said:

June 11th, 6:53 pm

No release date or window

Dead-Sync said:

June 11th, 11:53 pm

With a game and franchise like this? The release date is: when it’s ready.

God-Of-Lyf said:

June 13th, 12:50 am

Need to invest some of that money on a quiet education…!

Sonic-Boom said:

June 15th, 8:47 pm

Sony where should I start.
    Today you lost fan since 1996, you should have at least expected that your ” powerful message” might actually backfire at you.
    You just confirmed all my suspicions in a very quick stealthy manner the message was received loud and clearly and as it seems I got no future with you and your games or your eco system.
    Goodbye you will never be missed.
    In fact if I could get the money I paid to you throughout the years I would have done that, and you could come and take your stuff if you wanted.

killbot-xD said:

June 16th, 1:13 pm

No Sonic-Boom, it is you that ‘will never be missed’.

Sonic-Boom said:

June 19th, 3:08 pm

@killbot.
    Who asked for your opinion.
    Secondly if you are Sony then screw you, if not still the same.

Tikire said:

June 11th, 7:23 pm

Where’s Joel!?

MUSIC-HEAD said:

June 11th, 7:39 pm

Lol Sony please pay me to moderate out silly comments like this. Great presentation! Love – Kavan

Heavenly_king said:

June 11th, 8:35 pm

In story driven games I care for the characters. Joel for me is the main character of the franchise and Ellie is a sidekick.
No Joel no buy!

ThaKing86 said:

June 11th, 8:55 pm

You guys clearly saw Joel in the first trailer they showed, RELAX. This was only 10min and Ellie had plenty of solo playtime in part 1, expect the same.

Dead-Sync said:

June 11th, 11:52 pm

Jesse (Stephen Chan’s character) says “your old man said…” to Ellie. Clearly this is a reference to Joel, ans as ThaKing said he was in another trailer. This trailer, both in gameplay and story, was about Ellie, and rightfully so. I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw a Joel-centric story trailer at PSX or something.

Heavenly_king said:

June 13th, 7:49 am

I just saw and interview and the game is now centered in Ellie, so NO BUY! I want to play the most as Joel!

What the hell are you doing ND!!!

maynrdz said:

June 11th, 9:41 pm

What do you make to my Joel? :( Bring him back :'( I hate You ND

Heavenly_king said:

June 13th, 7:49 am

I am with you

ardwinna_mel77 said:

June 17th, 12:09 pm

He’s alive in the game…. I’d suggest re-watching the trailer with subtitles on and really, really listen.

Dead-Sync said:

June 11th, 11:30 pm

There are very few studios you can say “whatever they do, it will be incredible”. ND is one of those studios. I need no convincing on TLoU Part 2, but regardless I can still see the attention to detail in character development, storytelling, and gameplay. Take as much time as is needed, this franchise is special. Luckily, it’s in the best and ONLY hands that can write the next chapter. Cheers!

Ronaldcubero said:

June 11th, 11:51 pm

I loved when the trailer ended and not a single person clapped on E3, hahaha. That was gold right there.

medenko1975 said:

June 12th, 12:30 am

instant buy and release date?

KEHT_USA said:

June 12th, 12:39 am

Sorry, no buy. Curse you Sony you made a lesbo Ellie

thomas70099 said:

June 12th, 2:24 am

But what I really want to know is the campaign co-op me and my freind are dying to know we love the game and wish it is so we can play through it together

ardwinna_mel77 said:

June 17th, 12:09 pm

Neil Druckmann said at PSX that he will only ever create SINGLE PLAYER, linear games.

efaa0101 said:

June 12th, 6:25 am

I need it!!!!!!!! Ya lo quiero!

zingakun said:

June 12th, 7:31 am

I’m super curious why those guys chasing Ellie called her “Wolf”. Is this some kind of group Ellie joined, something like the Fireflies?

mag1cst1ck said:

June 12th, 11:47 am

this trailer did not make me want to buy this. for now it’s a pass for me.

AAIG1995 said:

June 12th, 1:18 pm

I’m liking the gameplay to this sequel to one of the Game of the Decade Nominees (in my Books). But is it just Me or did Naughty Dog start making Joel somewhat absent in the Game. Maybe Naughty Dog should give their Fans the option play rather as Ellie or Joel like the way Resident Evils 1&2 gave us the option to play one of two different characters. But I can’t get over how vibrant the environment of the Gameplay is here and definitely is a step in the right direction with the Stealth,and Combat moments.

KHDiego said:

June 12th, 2:10 pm

I cant wait!!! i even bought some pins lol https://amzn.to/2LIGW5C

jhurtado18 said:

June 12th, 7:59 pm

Great graphics gameplay looks awesome just hope they give us the option as playing Joel or Ellie wasn’t feeling the part where I gotta play as a **** now sorry I’m tired of company’s trying to push more and more into gaming and television nothing against it just not feeling it

God-Of-Lyf said:

June 13th, 12:45 am

Hey look, its The Lesbian of Us Part II

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 4:29 am

LMAO best comment I’ve seen since E3.

colef10 said:

June 13th, 6:58 am

Joel is aliiiive!!

Heavenly_king said:

June 13th, 7:48 am

What the hell are you doing ND!!!

LPsherlock said:

June 13th, 2:25 pm

increible!!!!! solo espero que salga para ps4 y no para ps5 !

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 4:41 am

Utterly disappointed with TLoU 2…for a nearly 2 years wait for gameplay dont you think we deserved something better ND?…sure it was a technical marvel but you couldn’t have chosen a more simple gameplay followed by no Joel and the worst of all unnecessary les**** stuff pushing stupid agendas.Please don’t take this path…TLoU does not need that it’s famous as hell it’ll sell even if you don’t put that kind of stuff in it.I know you’ve already done it with Riley but this time you guys went too far…that is so unnecessary,I cherish TLoU in a way you guys have no idea so it’s sad to see it that way.

And I knew it we were gonna play with Ellie…considering how games have been kneeling down to the feminist crap I just knew it.I don’t mind women as protagonists I grew up with Tomb Raider and I love strong women as protagonists but please make Joel be with her at least as a mentor kinda like Kratos and Atreus.I really hope Joel plays a big part in this game and moreover that he appears a lot.

Mckinneyrobert81 said:

June 16th, 10:36 am

I can’t wait till it drop but what happen to Joel

pablo_10_aimar said:

June 16th, 10:52 am

Awesome! F***** awesome! Now show us a Gameplay with Joel please… And by the way a release date.. yes?

DthEtr1 said:

June 17th, 1:19 am

Maybe if you loved ND enough, you”ll realize that they’re not pushing an agenda!! We mostly played Joel in Part 1. Now, Ellie has a bigger story to tell and Joel will also obviously be a part of it. Making Ellie the playable protagonist is not propaganda. And Feminism “crap” is equality so if the roles are reversed in part 2 from part 1 then that’s still equality for me. But most importantly WHO CARES. The creators obviously have a story where Elie is the main character. How many stories could Joel and Elie have now if we don’t shift the focus to the 19 year old Elie instead of keeping the focus on 55 year old Joel who lost his daughter which we saw the impact of that on him.
Furthermore, you seem to be against any LGBT in games. “You’ve already done it with Riley, but this is too far”? If Joel was shown liking a woman and kissing her, would you have reacted the same way? I’m sure this relationship is pivotal for the story as much as Joel’s relarionship with his daughter Sarah was in part 1. Ellie is a lesbian which is normal considering that you know LGBT are out there in the world. Just because she’s not straight, doesn’t mean it’s propaganda and being stuffed down your throat.

DthEtr1 said:

June 17th, 1:21 am

Lastly, I hope that when you play this game and love it, you’ll realize that all of this “propaganda’ wasn’t propaganda and was necessary for the story. Be open minded and more knowledgeable about feminism and LGBT or at the very least, trust that your beloved ND know what they are doing. They are definitely not doing this to gain fans especially since as you can see there seems to be a lot of unfounded criticism for this.

thefiresidecat said:

June 17th, 10:39 am

I personally don’t care if ellie is a lesbian.. but I too am no thrilled to play as her instead of joel. she was a likable kid but it was joels story that really moved us.

it’s also important to have some sympathy for the protagonist and from these trailers I don’t really feel it. what made the first tlou special was that it told a BIG story. an overarching world changing story. and the moral decisions associated with it on a personal level. it also showed the growth of the main character, Joel in a clear and touching manner. Ellie was untouched by this process. She did not grow or change thru the story line. she just remained the puppy.

but now we’re going with a tired and rehashed revenge story without the puppy side kick to lighten the tone and add balance to an already grim tale.

the violence is also upped by a factor of 100 which isn’t welcomed by me anyway. (I do hope there is a gore filter)

right now for me this is not a definite buy for me by any means. I was really hoping this would continue on in a big thinking change the world kind of way. revenge stories are cliche

thefiresidecat said:

June 17th, 10:46 am

ugh won’t let me edit. I wanted to add about ellie that in the first story even though she had been thru a lot. she hadn’t lost her light heartedness and jovial nature at that point that I would expect four years to not have changed that. but what we see is a hardened Ellie even in apparent peace time. and we have no context for this. she isn’t the same character we left in tlou1.

I see a mansplain view of feminism here. this isn’t a females view of feminism. why does the main character have to be a hardened lesbian? does that mean that all powerful women must be mean and hard (and lesbian) lol. I see the side of the fence you’re trying to be on and good for you.. but you are doing it wrong. you are just forwarding stereotypes instead of changing how we see things in a positive manner.

cybercam said:

June 17th, 11:21 am

I’m passing on a ND game for the first time since Sony acquired them. This game is not made for me in mind, which is fine, ND’s have the right to make any game they want. The good news is that there is still choice, so Days Gone and Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be day one buys for me. I wish ND a sincere good luck on this game. Cheers!

icecold20000 said:

June 20th, 9:55 pm

I was completely disturbed by them deciding to make Ellie gay. It was completely unnecessary for them to do that. The scene in the preview was completely upsetting. How old is Ellie and that woman she was making out with was a grown woman. Why do they have to push the Gay Agenda on everyone, in everything. It’s almost like they are forcing it on us now. I loved last of us part one and I couldn’t wait for part two, but now I’m just so sick and tired of this Gay community trying to be apart of everything in our lives to the point where is in our favorite video too. I have had enough, you took a perfectly good character and turned her into some muscle freak and she looks Androgynous which is completely disturbing. To be honest I’m pretty upset.

ElektroDragon said:

July 3rd, 11:22 am

Druckmann admitted he has a political agenda and is purposefully pushing his agenda in his games. Read One Angry Gamer article, and boycott this game, not only for the political agenda being pushed but also for the over the top torture p0rn on display. TLoU is at its best when its about Joel against the Infected, not progressive emo Ellie fighting those evil nasty men. Give me a break. This franchise is dead to me. The Death Stranding trailer was also disgusting and nonsensical. And with Ghosts of Tsushima, if you’re going for historical realism as you claim, why stick in a female Samurai? Newsflash: They never existed. I’ll stick with the Tomb Raider series, they know how to show a strong female character without any of the political garbage.

Otterpoet said:

July 10th, 8:35 am

Actually, female members of the bushi ‘samurai’ class did exist. Onna-bugeisha were still prevalent during the Kamakura Shogunate – the period Ghosts falls into. So, they’re perfectly correct to have a female samurai. Sorry.

Otterpoet said:

July 10th, 8:44 am

Did half the commentators even watch the video? Joel is mentioned in the first two minutes – plus he’s standing right there in the other trailer. (Granted, there’s some weird rumor Ellie is talking to his ghost in the first trailer :P ) And has everyone forgotten… you play Ellie in the original game and the DLC! Don’t recall the world coming to an end.

So, I’m just staggered by the negativity to what promises to be an intense, story-driven game. If the trailer represents WYSIWYG, I’m sold!