Tearaway Unfolded

Apr 26

ModNation Racers Artist Spotlights: Sucker Punch rebuilds Empire City!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Chuck Lacson on Apr 26, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Greetings all and Merry ModNation Monday,

Just like the past two weeks, we’re kicking the week off with a new Artist Spotlight video. Last week we had the mind behind Twisted Metal and God of War, David Jaffe, give us his uncensored opinion about making games and his thoughts on ModNation Racers (okay, it was kinda censored). If you visited GameSpot at all last week, then you might have learned that we handed a copy of the game to the talented folks at Sucker Punch Productions to see what they could do with the ModNation creation tools.

So what happens when the crew responsible for the PS2 classic Sly Cooper franchise and the recent PS3 hit inFAMOUS decide to have some fun in ModNation?

Sly Cooper in ModNation Racers

Empire City gets rebuilt… ModNation-style!

This is an example of what happens when you combine some time and imagination with ModNation Racers. We look forward to bringing you more examples of this in future installments of the Artist Spotlights video series.

ModNationTV Spot hits the Airwaves

If you caught Peter Dille’s post last week, you know all about Kevin Butler‘s new ‘stache and uh…orange shorts. The VP ModNation Motivation hits Comedy Central on April 28th during the South Park season finale!

If you liked the orange shorts online, you’ll like them even better in HD!

Pre-order Mystery ModNation Mods and Karts Revealed Tomorrow!

If you pre-ordered ModNation, you scored either Kratos, Ratchet and Clank, or Nathan Drake. But you ALSO scored one of four mystery mods and kart packs!

??? in ModNation Racers ??? in ModNation Racers

??? in ModNation Racers ??? in ModNation Racers

Stay tuned on the PlayStation.Blog this week as we announce not only the Mystery Mods and Karts you will have a chance to score by pre-ordering, but a NEW familiar character who has decided to get a kart and join the RACE!

??? in ModNation Racers

See you then!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ DangerMouseElite on April 27th, 2010 at 10:00 pm said:

I pre-ordered my copy after playing the Open Beta for US release at GAMESTOP here in Kauai, HI and was wondering since I had pre-ordered so early am I screwed out of the pre-order special characters/karts/etc.? Also wondering if maps/karts/tracks will still be available to us. I still have the beta installed on my PS3 even though it can’t be logged into for the fear of losing content I created during Beta and spent hours doing so.

+ deadlysin687 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:16 am said:

One of them is obviously a mouse in a cheese kart. One is in a golf kart, one in a farm truck..so i guess its a farmer, and i have no idea what the last is.

+ Murmur on May 2nd, 2010 at 2:52 am said:

I really enjoyed playing a beta release, but got a bit worried about the loading times. I’ve read that the final game build have had a massive optimization on that part.

Other than that, want to thank Chuck Lacson for taking so much time to comment posts. Wish most editors treat own topics like that, its a bit annoying to see few comments on first page then editors dissapear for the remaining ten pages.

+ l3lackCalamity on May 7th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

Im not sure If I can preoder this at bestbuy in canada and get drake.

+ letherclad on May 17th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

I hope that track becomes available like the recently announced Kevin Butler track and mod, I NEED this track!

+ SeetherFan2 on May 21st, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

I’ve been playing the demo a lot and that alone is addiciong! If what I’ve been doing on the demo is less than 1% of the full game, then the rest is gonna be very addicting! :D

I have two questions though;

1. Will we be able to download the inFAMOUS Mod, kart and track and other artists’ stuff?

2. With all these different pre-order characters and one of the four bonus mods that come with them, will they all be available for DLC later on, or will pre-order be the only time you’ll be able to get Kratos, Drake, etc. ?

+ ADR143 on April 26th, 2010 at 6:11 pm said:

track was amazing! can we see infamous 2!!

+ S-E-G on April 26th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

1) A Killzone map = $5.99
2) A Killzone playable character = $2.99
3) A God of War map = $5.99
4) A Fat Princess map = $5.99
5) A Fat Princess playable character = free
6) And finally a Resistance character and map = $9.99

+ Lolsa1 on April 26th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

I think it’s either a Helghast or sackboy. I already have this game preordered can’t wait to play this online with friends.

+ the_jimster on April 26th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

@ Chuck I Can’t wait for this game its on my invisible wish-list lol but my dad already pre-ordered from GameStop for me so I can have the awesome Kratos and Kart!!I also can’t wait for the NEW Mystery Mod and Kart which is (*SPOILER* SackBoy *SPOILER*)I hope anyways :P …I hope I can get like Ex:Kratos and his Kart,then the Mystery Mod and Kart that comes with it,then also the NEW Mystery Mod and Kart,I’ll just have to wait and see this week (right?)and find out why the people or Pre-Ordered is gonna have smiles on they’re face (including me).

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 9:37 pm said:

I don’t think you will have to wait till next week to find out. (Your Dad is Cool by the way.)

+ SHINSPIKES on April 26th, 2010 at 7:43 pm said:

Will we be gettin these special tracks created by these professional geniuses?

+ nerdmanwhippy on April 26th, 2010 at 7:50 pm said:

What is crazy is that all Sucker Punch used were the in-game tools. No development tools at all. SICK!

This makes me nervous. Granted this particular level looked awesome, but I really hope we don’t find levels in the game that we ourselves can’t make, that would make me sad.

I believe this is why somebody else mentioned they wouldn’t buy this new, due to the milking of dlc. I loved LBP’s editor do not get me wrong, the game was amazing. However they wouldn’t let you make good looking characters and forced you to buy dlc to get unique characters. While alright at first, it became a bit disappointing in the long run when you look up the price tag to get all the outfits.

Now granted from the stuff I’ve seen it seems users definitely have a lot up their arsenal for the editing in this game, it would just be a shame not to have the full potential available to us.

Regardless it’s been a day one purchase for me for a while, can’t wait see what the mystery kart is for Gamestop preorders.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 9:44 pm said:

Let me clarify. The level that Sucker Punch made was created completely with all the tools you get with the game. So if you had similar time and imagination, you would most definitely be able to make that track without any additional DLC.

So I don’t think you will have any reason to be sad.

You have TONS of stuff to make your own original creations from the get go. :)

Also no matter which retailer you order from, you will have a chance of one of the 4 Mystery Mod and Kart packs. It’s the luck of the draw!

+ twooh on April 26th, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

@ Chuck and and your reply.

We’ll see 3 months after it’s release. I can almost guarantee a ton of over-priced DLC will come out for this game just like LBP. If I’m wrong, then rub it in my face. But I know that this type of game is very much like LBP in terms of modding/creating. So it’s a dead giveaway, it will have milked/over-priced DLC.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 9:54 pm said:

Well I won’t be rubbing anything in anyone’s face. :)

If you aren’t a big believer in DLC, that is totally fine. I get that. I’m just saying, you don’t need DLC to have a great time with ModNation Racers. Just like you didn’t need DLC to have a great time with LBP.

DLC is stuff that can enhance or extend your gaming experience if you want to. It’s never required to to play the core game. At least, this is what I’ve seen for most of our titles.

It’s too bad that will prevent you from purchasing and having fun with ModNation, but hey, I respect your opinion and your choice.

Hopefully you’ll change your mind over time!

+ alan6541 on April 26th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

it would be cool if it was a Stig character with a Top Gear kart

+ eddieMX07 on April 26th, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

Is it possible to make a Crash Bandicoot character? or maybe a Gex character…

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 9:55 pm said:

Anything is possible.

+ retro25 on April 26th, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

I like the Infamous theme track that those dudes from Sucker Punch did, it’s awsome!!!

+ HatmanTc on April 26th, 2010 at 8:48 pm said:

Please leave this track you’ve created available for us gamers to be able to download apon the game’s launch. that track looks like it would be so fun to try out. we would highly appricate that

+ Thrasher20 on April 26th, 2010 at 9:15 pm said: