Uncharted 4

Dec 16

Your PSN Questions—Answered

Susan Panico's Avatar Posted by Susan Panico on Dec 16, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

It’s been a busy few weeks on the PlayStation Network with several big announcements and new apps launching. In the month of November alone, we announced the launch of the NHL GameCenter Live application, the availability of Hulu Plus outside of PlayStation Plus, the VUDU app on PSN, and BBC America programming in the PlayStation Store. We’ve also shared a new episode of The Tester 2 each week and just last week we announced a number of new games on PlayStation Home, as we marked the 2-year anniversary of the platform. And, in addition to the PSN updates we’ve shared, there have also been a number of new updates for PlayStation Plus subscribers and new features in the PlayStation Rewards program.

playstation network logo

There’s no doubt that PSN is in the midst of tremendous growth as we continue to expand our entertainment offering. We recently surpassed 60 million registered accounts worldwide – an increase of 53% in North America in just the last year – and we continue to see our users soak up the new entertainment content offerings. In fact, movies and TV series purchased on the PlayStation Network video delivery service increased 42% compared to a year ago and we’re seeing that our users are quite engaged, with well over 70% using PSN weekly.

It’s been busy and we’re certainly excited about how far we’ve come in a short time, but the busyness has also kept me away from addressing some of your questions and there have been some great ones. I wanted to take some time before we ended the year to look back at previous posts and address some of questions that you have. I’ve also cleared my schedule this afternoon to answer any further questions you might have on PSN and about some of our new services and partners, so drop your questions in the below comments and I’ll do my best to address them.

We’re lucky to have such loyal users. Thanks for continuing to come back and please keep on sending us your questions, thoughts and suggestions. They are important and we are listening!

PlayStation Plus

Q: Field Runners was in the July 6 and the upcoming December 14 publish. Will content continue to be recycled? – ExPresident (December 1, 2010 post)

A: PlayStation Plus has circulated a lot of great content since the service was launched in June and based on what we think our users want, we’ll look to bring back some of those popular items. This will not affect our goals to bring new experiences and discount options to PlayStation Plus subscribers.

Q: Are there any plans to add a digital rental service to PlayStation Plus? – JacobeAbam (December 1, 2010 post)

A: While we don’t have any news to announce around a digital rental service for PlayStation Plus, our goal is to include a full game trial each month when possible, which allows gamers to try out PS3 titles for up to one full hour. Recently, we’ve launched full game trials for Red Faction Guerrilla, Warhawk, inFamous, God of War I, ll and Prototype, and we’re looking forward to upcoming releases, like Borderlands. And, don’t forget your PlayStation Plus includes access to PSP minis and PSone games as part of your subscription.

Q: Europe received the Fallout 3 DLC and Sam & Max season for free when we receive older titles. When can we expect newer discounted or free content? – Vengeance88 (October 20, 2010 post)

A: Content for PlayStation Plus subscribers differ for each region and that is dependant on a lot of different variables that aren’t always determined by us. Sometimes it’s our publishers that make decisions on how many or where to share certain content and sometimes it’s simply a case of where it makes the most sense for a particular game or feature. Having said that, we’re always looking for ways to extend the content we offer across different regions and hopefully you’ve seen that in some of the recent content that we’ve released, like the December 14th publish that included the upcoming featured download of the Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse season.

Q: When does the free three month promotion end for PlayStation Plus? – eatthemall (PS+ FAQ post)

A: The promotion that currently adds three months to your 12-month subscription is ongoing and users who subscribe to the promotion will now get 15 months of PlayStation Plus for the 12-month cost. If you’re not yet a subscriber, what other promotional offers would help you make the decision to subscribe?

Q: Can we have a progress update on cross game chat and any other features that will be available for PlayStation Plus subscribers? – xKOROSHIYAx (PS+ FAQ post)

A: I don’t have any progress updates to share at this time, but I can tell you that we’re listening to the things you want and whether or not we can release them now, we take all of the features you’ve been asking for seriously.

PlayStation Rewards

Q: When will the PlayStation Rewards program be available to Canada? – Chowbacca (October 27, 2010)

A: The PlayStation Rewards program is currently in beta and only available to GAP members and PlayStation Plus subscribers (who have opted into marketing emails as of October 24). If everything goes well during the beta period, our plan is to extend the offering to Canada in Spring 2011.

Q: Will the PlayStation Rewards program be available in Europe? – Coheno (October 27, 2010)

A: The other regions have shown interest, but we haven’t announced any plans to expand in Europe at this time.

Q: Why do trophy counts not affect the PlayStation Rewards program? I think trophy level should determine a gamer’s status in the program. – Mirauder (October 27, 2010)

A: The PlayStation Rewards program is still currently in beta and will remain an evolving program post-launch. Currently, we have incorporated the use of trophies into the Quest system announced earlier this week. Quests tie into more than just games, giving PlayStation Rewards members opportunities to gain progress from all aspects of the PlayStation Network, such as PlayStation Home, original programming and more.

Q: How long is the beta period for the PlayStation Rewards program? – LightAce (October 27, 2010)

A: We are expecting PlayStation Rewards to come out of beta in April 2011.

Q: Will the PlayStation Reward levels be based on games we beat from this date? Or will it include the games/trophies we have already beaten/earned on PS3? – cdsly16 (October 27, 2010)

A: The PlayStation Rewards program is not retroactive. It will take into account all the new games that you have played since the launch of the program.

Q: Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t Hulu, VUDU, Netflix, and the Store all be competing for purchases of the same content on each and every PS3? – JBracin70 (November 16, 2010)

A: Actually, no. There are quite a few differences in terms of the type of content provided across the different services, the window of availability of content, and the payment options, etc. The bottom line is that we’re extending our content offering with a choice of partners to bring you the entertainment experience you want.

Q: Isn’t this video service cannibalizing on Sony’s current PSN video service? – Neil (November 16, 2010)

A: No, actually all of the different options haven’t cannibalized the PSN video delivery service, as proven by the 42% year-over-year growth. The PSN wallet and the compatibility with the PSN cards on PlayStation Store purchases have proven to be a great solution of convenience that complements our other content offerings.

Hulu Plus

Q: When will the service be available to Canadians? – Jeanse27 (November 4, 2010)

A: At this point, we don’t have any news to share on the exact timing for bringing Hulu Plus to Canada, but I can tell you that we’re exploring ways to bring our Canadian friends more of the content we’ve released in the US. However, it does bear mentioning that these plans are also contingent on Hulu Plus and when they extend their services to Canada.

Q: Any chance we can get Move support for both the Netflix and Hulu Plus app down the road? – Philaroni (November 4, 2010)

A: While you can use the Move controllers to navigate through the XMB, we don’t have anything to announce today for full support of Netflix or Hulu Plus. VUDU has announced that they will support PlayStation Move motion control with their new UI, VUDU 2.0, which will automatically update to your PS3 sometime this month.

Q: Do I have to pay for the monthly service with my credit card or can I use my PlayStation Wallet? – Rene_Led (November 4, 2010)

A: At this time you will have to pay for your Hulu Plus subscription with your credit card on Hulu.com, but we’ll certainly share updates on payment methods as they become available.

The Tester

Q: Can you consider including Canadians in your contests or at least run Canada specific contests? – krae_man (November 2, 2010)

A: Great suggestion, and we’ll most certainly be thinking about ways to integrate Canada and/ or Canadian specific challenges into future Tester series. Please continue to share your suggestions as we evolve the series, contests and overall experience.

NHL GameCenter

Q: Will we see similar sports applications, such as the NFL Sunday Ticket or NBA League Pass, on the PlayStation Network? – TABBYG87 (November 11, 2010)

A: We’re focused on providing you with many choices for your entertainment needs. We’ll continue to expand the catalogue of content you have access to on the PlayStation Network, however today we don’t have any news to share specific to NFL Sunday Ticket or NBA League Pass.

Q: Will the free NHL GameCenter app go away after the PlayStation Plus subscription has ended? – Dagger_32 (November 11, 2010)

A: The app itself won’t disappear from your XMB, but the free access to the app will discontinue once your PlayStation Plus subscription has ended and you will need to purchase it. As with all of the other content offered through PlayStation Plus, only subscribers will have access to the exclusive, free or discounted offers within PlayStation Plus, which includes the NHL GameCenter app being free to subscribers.

PAGE 1 2 3 7

+ S-E-G on December 16th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

there are tones of ideas from the community for the ps3
when will you stop thinking of your wallets and start thinking of the people that fill your wallets
now i get the 10 year life cycle, it’s gonna take that long to get things done right, but i won’t be waiting on you slackers much longer, i’m coming home uncle bill, i’m coming home!!!

+ crusher915 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

@168 Edit.. I know that not everyone has a fast enough network connection but that is no reason to hold back options like streaming TV stations… or whatever the problem is, your device is fully able to stream TV stations and that single option would boost your sales dramatically.

+ UNIT-TRB on December 16th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Plus has been a real boon… A ton of content plus some good discounts really helps if you like to try a lot of titles.

I would like to see more in the way of PS Home content…with plus

+ Fenrir2606 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Constant vague answers on cross-game chat. Why not say yes its in the works or no we will never have it. Then we can all shut up about it lol Oh and get rid of share, its a waste of time. Its already been stated that the American team has no control over frimware updates and the Japanese team doesn’t think NA opinions are important.

+ crim001 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:08 pm said:

Is Sony working on a Skype app for the PS3??? I have family over in europe and love using skype to talk with them. It would also make ‘It only does everything’ even more across the board!

+ crusher915 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

@174 edit.. that was supposed to be a reply to 167. ok while I’m at it, you could just make it say you need to have at-least x many Mbps or have the option to stream at a lower quality. Trust me that service will pay for it self Day 1.

+ JLP_M on December 16th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

Thanks for the reply Susan,

+ vetrardimma on December 16th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

when will more country’s get a psn store we Icelandic people are huge ps3 user but we don´t got a psn store

+ REDBLACKWHITE5 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

+ fuzzyclutter on December 16th, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

BECAUSE THEY ALREADY GAVE YOU ANSWER TO CROSS GAME CHAT YOU FRIGGIN CRYBABIES !!!! take it or leave it and just MOVE ON !!! HELL they gave you ANSWERS from the beginning and like a bunch of ritalin deficient children , you ignore the ANSWER and ask the same damn questions .

IF they ever implement it you will hear about it . WILL THEY DO IT ??? they dont say yes or no AND YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A DEFINITIVE YES OR NO AT THIS TIME so move on already .

+ ExPresident on December 16th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

Score, my question got posted on a blog post!

Now for the reality of it. I’m a huge Sony fan but like others have said you don’t really tell us anything. You clarified that Field Runners was given out and then you recycled and apparently plan to continue to do so and that is where the problem is.

As a loyal Sony customer I own a PS3, PSP and utilize the store very often. I was a day 1 purchaser of your new program, PS+ and have enjoyed it. That being said you gave Field Runners as a free title and then went and gave it out again. I’ve essentially already paid for the title, why should I pay for it again just so someone who didn’t have the ability or want to sign up earlier can get it? In this case offer up Field Runners again, note that it was previously given out in the past (don’t try to slip it past us) and then offer another title free for those of us who already got it.

+ Philaroni on December 16th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

I understand that Sony thinks the XMB is great and all but it is out of date. Interfaces need to be updated over time to accommodate changes in content and what the user needs from the experience.

Example, I have no idea what is going on in the world of Playstation unless I actively take the time to search the web, the XMB gives very little info on what is going on, both in the community and otherwise.

Things like when you use the chat you are unable to use the browser, watch videos, look in the store an all that create a unhealthy disconnect to your user.

Also that box up top is ugly and the ticketer only gives out phrases of info that make no sense on there own. I’d like to see our avatar and # of friends and messages Icons larger and more visible.

All this stuff is minor but the impact to the overall user experience is worth the time spent. There is many more changes and fixes that could be done.

I’d like to see more micromanaging on the XMB and better and more well thought out design. This is something that needs to be done on Sony’s own will being that most in the community overlook or do not know how to ask for it in a number great enough to be considered a priority.

+ clupula668 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

Here are some things I’d like to see:

1) I’d like to have the ability to change the format of my downloaded games, like I can change the format of the Playstation Store. For example, when I go onto GAMES on the XMB, I’d like to have the games in several rows, instead of just one row going down vertically.

2) I’d like to be able to play PSP games on my PS3. I’d even pay for it.

3) Cross-game chat. I personally don’t care about it and will never use it, but I’d like the whiners to have to shut up about it.

4) Software backwards compatibility for PS2 games. You have no idea how much I hate having to switch systems to play certain games.

5) If you want me to subscribe to Plus, the only thing that would convince me to do so, would be if Plus subscribers didn’t have to pay any additional subscription fees. For example, if I was a Plus subscriber and I bought DC Universe, I wouldn’t have to pay the additional $15 a month for the game. That would actually get me to subscribe.

6) I’d like to be able to pay for Netflix with my PSN account.

+ mew_frenger on December 16th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

we want ability to change psn username.

thankus sonys

+ crusher915 on December 16th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Any Plans on turning the PSN into a Steam like service where we could get games on release date??

+ TriForceElf on December 16th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

EDIT: ..ever see a*

+ TriForceElf on December 16th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

I have 2 questions actually:

1- Will we ever see and PS3 Browser update?

2- This is PSHome related, is there by chance a future update will allow us to view a property or house before purchase?

+ Rockstarmd on December 16th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Really Susan out of all the questions you choose to take head on you go for the Sam and Max when probably at least 100 of them are asking about Cross Game Chat lets get a real straightforward answer on that one.

+ crusher915 on December 16th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Will We sometime in the near future Be able to stream tv stations?? (It only does everything)

+ echogridlock on December 16th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

I have been playing DC Universe Online Beta and my family and I are loving it. With that though, a lot of concerning questions have risen. This being our first CONSOLE MMO, in the upcoming months to the release of this title, could someone from Sony or this blog please post some more information on this game?

Some Questions that I would like to see answered…

1. How much per month?

2. If I pay a full game price of $59.99, is there an offline mode? Or is it unplayable without a subscription?
( I understand the first month will be free, but if I’m paying the full game price upfront, I feel there should be something offline for the months when we cant afford the Subscription price.)

3. With this being a console MMO, is the subscription for the PSN ID (user) or is it for the console?
(I have 3 to 4 people in my household who are interested in this game and one console. Two of those people are children, and children sometimes don’t like to share (They want to use their own PSN ID) If a subscription is $10-$20 a month per person, me and my wife cant afford it. That would be $40-$80 a month which is $480-$960 a year)

4. Will there be a discounted 3,6,9,12 month subscription plan?

+ spideyal on December 16th, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

I’m more or less hoping for a much more expanded Playstation Profile. I want to do a Photoshop of my idea, and post it in Playstation Blog Share if you can link to other pages.

I’ve got a great idea and some features that would work perfectly with the Playstation Network. Because if I know one thing for sure, the PSN Profile area (PS3 and Browser) is in dire need of a facelift.

+ xCaliberr on December 16th, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

I want to change my name i think you should be able to do it at least once a year for a small fee

+ judalation on December 16th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Look I like the Move but for FPS could you have the option of twisting the move left or right to turn???? Please aiming at the edge of the screen is disorienting and unnecessary! The wii could not register twist… thats the only reason they have aim at the edge of the screen! PLEASE twist to turn option because without it move will not work!

+ NotoriousGamer on December 16th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Comic store Canada. Comic store Canada! Comic store Canada plz…

+ DieUnbeliever on December 16th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

This is a long shot, but I hope this message gets across.

I use the “Chat” feature a lot when I’m on the PS3. So in regards to that, you are EXTREMELY limited as to what you can do on the XMB while in chat. Almost everything is disable and requires you to exit the chat. The only thing I could find that you can actually do is Read/Reply to messages. You can’t check trophies, you cant see ‘gamesaves’, etc. Please bring this up to the devs/programmers. If Sony can allow more features to be accessed while using ‘Chat’ that would be GREAT! If Chat can be pushed to the background and that way you can access ALL the features, that would be incredible. Also, why not add some themes to the ‘chat’, instead of the plain white background?

Thanks, Sony!

+ BallinOutTheBox on December 16th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Thank you Ms. Panico for taking time out to answer the community’s questions. This is another reason I am a Playstation fan, your interaction and faithfulness to the community.

+ Enkei-Xpress on December 16th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Hi there,

Can you update the PS3’s Internet Browser so that it will support Adobe Flash Player 10.1 please?

+ footballrule on December 16th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

Will PS Reward members ever get to check progress via PS3?

+ Link01 on December 16th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Why haven’t you guys made a simple update BBC code for PSN cards rather HTML?

+ floreyfreak on December 16th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

If Platinum trophies are rewarded, will previously earned Platinum trophies be included, or just ones earned after the launch of PlayStation Rewards.

+ S_Y_N_1_S_T_3_R on December 16th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

Would be nice to use Playstation HOME pics as avatars on the PSN

+ AutomaticOcelot on December 16th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

@50: Haskell420, your argument for PS3-run PSP demos is flawed on several levels.
First, and this is the biggest: The PS2 and PSP are very comparable in processing power.
They are also very comparable in *still being sold and making Sony money*.
Being able to emulate demos and NOT giving people the option to play full PSP games on the PS3 will:
A) anger the he11 out of people that don’t have and do want software PS2 emulation to come back. Because the audience interesting in having PSP games work is miniscule compared to the market of PS3 game owners that *still* have their PS2 hooked up. (like me and every PS3 owner I know)
B) anger the he11 out of people that don’t have a PSP and just want to buy a PSP game that *already runs* on their PS3. “Why buy more hardware just to play on a smaller screen?” It will be a marketing disaster that erodes the PSP hardware market. And Sony is at least aware it doesn’t need to cause more of those on purpose.

If you cannot recognize the simple truth that this is bad business and the can of worms it would open up, then prepare to rant about the same request for the hardware lifetime of the PSP, and possibly the PS3 too.

+ SpyDudeFX on December 16th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

Thx Susan. I think we all want to see more staff replies especially on Plus posts which always seems to get no replies. With Home and Plus, Europe has so much great content that you can just import here.

+ BlooodyCow on December 16th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

@Susan Panico

You sure can spin things.
Let see here. PS3 is will missing these key features like

*Cross Game Voice Chat
*Universal Party System
*Universal in-game music
*automatic trophy syn to servers

PS3 needs to

*A better browser with update-to-date technology
*Promoting a sub-account to a master account
*using funds in your wallet for subscription to games or media aps such an netflix

And many more if you guys actually read the blog share. But according to your response and the response of many other Sony PR people, it’s clear that Sony don’t even read the blog share.

+ Shadowsquirrel on December 16th, 2010 at 5:46 pm said:

Slap in the face post imo.

+ Jasko45 on December 16th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

I’m all for the Cross Game Chat feature (hopefully available to all Playstation Network users) aka not exclusive to PS+.

+ KidCommando on December 16th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

Thanks for the Q&A post and for taking the time to answer some comments.

Even if some of the answers were not what we wanted to hear, just aknowledging that you hear us is important.

Can you please continue to occationally make these posts and keep some kind of communication with the customers. It makes a difference!

+ vetrardimma on December 16th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

will there ever be a icelandic ps store we are huge ps3 users

+ SlashGashTerror1 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

Will The Rest Of The Early PS+ Subscribers Eventually Get In The Rewards Beta Before It Rolls Out To The Rest Of The Public…Because Ive Been A Plus Member Since July 1st?

+ Sponge-worthy on December 16th, 2010 at 6:19 pm said:

In other words, “We hear you, but we don’t care that much. We’re in the business of pushing content, not adding features. Keep your fingers crossed for the PS4 folks!”

+ NITROWOLF_2 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

I hope i get a response, but why hasn’t Sam and Max for PS plus been fix yet? I notice that all but episode 1 are missing from the store, could that be the issue?

+ Link01 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

You guys seriously need better PS Blog integration in the actual XMB of the PS3. How hard would it to make an app that appears like the new EU Playstation website that boot on the ps3’s web browser?

+ phinnv8 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:35 pm said:

PSN+ is a waste of money for me I don’t need discounts on little PSN games I need:

-Better friend/party support for games (4 years later its STILL so damn hard just to message a friend inside a game)
-Cross game voice chat
-a decent web browser
-ESPN support
-auto read PS messages when the notification pops up

PS Blog Share is currently an utter failure.

+ Keysersoze10033 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:41 pm said:

Great to see some answers from Sony, I hope this becomes a mothly topics. I know this was answered, but I am REALLY interested in a NFL app. I live in NY so I have my NBA and MLB teams covered, but I am a Miami Dolphins fan and I don’t get a chance to see many games. I would subscribe to a NFL in a heart beat. Just had to throw that one in there :).

+ JLBird on December 16th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

Is there any way you guys could upgrade sub accounts to master accounts when they reach 18? You know, reward those who actually told their right age?

+ Toksyuryel on December 16th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

If I already own the RB2 version of a song, do I still have to pay full price to get the RB3 version of the same song?

+ FirstAngle on December 16th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

When is Europe going to get a Video store or something like Netflix..??

Greetings from the Netherlands

+ SirMilagres on December 16th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

You guys should think more about other coutries.

I’m from Brazil and the service is reaaally lame here.
Guess you think we’re all poor and woulndn’t be a profit custumer.

Guess you’re right but you should present the loyal ps3 owners, onw ignore them.

I’m aware that we’ll have a national PSN soon but… there is so many things to get better.

For instance, now you’re selling the ‘oficial playstation 3 console’ in here.
Anyone can buy a PS3 here for max $1.100 national currency.
And the “oficial console” will cost $2.000!

What the heck were you thinking?

It’s like saying:
“You’re from Brazil? Hmmm… Buy a Xbox. Cheaper and better services”

+ joeyjoe325 on December 16th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

This is a good idea for a post. Maybe you can try to do it quarterly? I wish though, no offense intended, that some answers were more definitive and not so vague. As in cross game voice chat. Your answer is a like a politician.

Can you confirm it is being worked on? A possible release date? The PS3 is so powerful yet this can’t be added?! The “box” has it and you would make so many users appreciate your system that much more. Thanks again.

**Proud Plus member

+ naeffy on December 16th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

I want to know if a feature will be added so we can change our psn account names possibly for a fee, seeing as its availiable on xbox live. and possibly a more simplified XMB while in game

PAGE 1 2 3 7