PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Ninja Gaiden 3 Put to the Test in PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Gary Steinman's Avatar + Posted by Gary Steinman on Jun 30, 2011 // Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Fact: Everyone loves ninjas. They’re officially better than pirates, pizza and, uh…porcupines. We here at PTOM Towers aren’t immune to the considerable charm of the mighty ninja, which is why we have the ultimate stealth assassin, Ninja Gaiden 3’s Ryu Hayabusa, gracing the cover of our August issue.

PlayStation: The Official Magazine: August 2011: Ninja Gaiden 3

This isn’t just another chapter in Ryu’s saga. This one, we discovered after journeying to Japan to meet with the team and play the game, is different. This time, we are meant to feel what it’s like to be a deadly assassin, to truly understand what it means to be a cold-blooded killer. Don’t worry, though: This ain’t a new-age Ninja Gaiden who’s all touchy-feely now. It’s still the same hardcore action game we adore. It’s just that every cut Ryu makes is deeper; every action he takes is stronger. Find out more secrets of the game in our world-exclusive 10-page expose.

Ryu isn’t the only heavy hitter in our August issue. Rounding out the content, we’ve got big-time previews of all the games that matter, including BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City, Hitman: Absolution and Modern Warfare 3. Plus, we kiss and tell the secrets of Atlus’ quirky puzzle-adventure Catherine—a game that’s all about indecision, infidelity, and sheep-horned men in boxer shorts who have to jump from platform to platform in order to stay alive. Really.

All that and a massive playtest of the PS Vita launch lineup, on stands July 5th and hitting subscribers mailboxes right now. Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2

+ Senjutsu_Dav on June 30th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Paper? What’s that? ;)

+ I3rand0 on June 30th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

“This isn’t just another chapter in Ryu’s saga. This one, we discovered after journeying to Japan to meet with the team and play the game, is different. This time, we are meant to feel what it’s like to be a deadly assassin, to truly understand what it means to be a cold-blooded killer.”

Really? It looks exactly like the first two to me.

+ percast2 on June 30th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Nice Cover

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Thanks!!

+ Sponge-worthy on June 30th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

The only question that needs answering is….purple smoke?

+ hush404 on June 30th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

I’ve never cared for NG…

+ RE_Player on June 30th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Great cover. I just resubscribed and I’m so pumped. Also I was worried I wouldn’t get this issue due to the Canada Post strike but that has been resolved and mail is flowing once again in Canada.

+ Orufonz0 on June 30th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

the only thing I want to know is…. can I play while offline? ninja gaiden 2 was a leddown because of that

+ ICU-KILLA on June 30th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

loving the cover

+ RavageX on June 30th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

Haven’t had the chance to play NG2 yet. A lot of people say the games are hard. You wanna know hard? Go back and play the originals for NES or the remastered SNES versions.

Those will make you cry.

+ PainOfSarrow on June 30th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

you can only play ninja gaiden 2 online ? ummm its not offline like part one is ? im not even going to get part 2 then if its only online. what the hell happens when you want to play part 2 and theres no internet service ? im asking these becuase of what Orufonz0 said….

+ zombie9 on June 30th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

@ Orufonz0 Ninja Gaiden 2 can play both online and offline. what game are you playing?

+ soldiercell on June 30th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

Day one buy!

+ reson8er on June 30th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

Hey Gary, nice to see you updating us on PTOM content. Any news on the digital release front *cough* Newsstand for iPad *cough*?

+ zzamaro on June 30th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

hope it’s as good as the first one, 2cond was kind of a letdown for me

+ eyehate666 on June 30th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

If team Ninja would tone down the ifficulty of these game just a liiiiittle bit, Id be hooked. I loved all the rest anyway, launch day for NG2 for 360 was one of the happiet days of my life, but theyre extremely frustrating sometimes. Its not like theyre hard all the way through, there are just masive ‘spikes’ of impossibility. I still havent played Sigma2, now its a must do as 3 has been announced.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

From what I played, it seems both hardcore and more balanced. And hey, back that thing down to Easy. No shame in that!

+ jqtaxpayer on June 30th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

There’s no way in hell I’m buying NGS3 unless they change a lot of what I’ve heard about it. The biggest one that sticks out in my mind, however: no dismemberment? REALLY? I didn’t buy NGS2 because they replaced the blood with purple mist. You don’t think THIS will be a dealbreaker for me? Get a clue, guys.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

There is blood, though. Lots and lots of blood. Happy?

+ fijski8 on June 30th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

Great Mag! But I really think Gregs Orlandos reviews are a little rough. That guys articles and reviews bother me. Nija Gaiden 3 should tone down the difficulty for sure. Loved 1 and 2. But who has the platuinum for 2? talk about insane!!

+ ERC1980 on June 30th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

nice cover story gary!

i also noticed how ryu’s sword was missing

and on another note, will a future issue have a cover story on starhawk?

just asking

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

We asked the team about the missing sword. They were cryptic, but they gave an answer. It’s in the feature. And thanks!

+ nirojan45 on June 30th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

There is shame dropping it down to easy. Ryu wears a dress or something doesn’t he? To show the player that they didn’t have the grit to play it on Normal :). Shouldn’t you replace PS2 with PSV guys on the header for the mag?

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

Now, that’d be awesome. A tutu, if you play it on Easy. And you know what? I’d still do Easy on my first run-through. So there.

+ DarkRecoil on June 30th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

Is it true PS3 is the lead development platform for NG3 ? everything they showed at E3 was running only on PS3 unless i’m mistaken.

@ jqtaxpayer

Without the removal of the dismemberment the original game (NG2 on 360) couldn’t even run without freezing, slowdown, bugs ect. Not to mention that dismemberment meant the NG2 on 360 wasn’t even in HD (560i or something lol). Team Ninja did a complete overall on the engine for PS3 which is better off without the dismemberment.

Seriously, cry more and get a 360 if u want dismemberment so much. i’ll stick with 720p NGS2 with much improved graphics, online team missions, 2 new playable characters, boobs, DLC, and better gameplay mechanics.

+ DarkRecoil on June 30th, 2011 at 12:52 pm said:

@ jqtaxpayer

Seriously, cry more and get a 360 if u want dismemberment so much. i’ll stick with 720p NGS2 with much improved graphics, online team missions, 2 new playable characters, DLC, and better gameplay mechanics.

+ mcbuttz78 on June 30th, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

well i think its a cheap move toning the game down so others can play it. real game talk bawls to beat. Toning down games is what is hurting games. if gamers dont have hte bawls on mental skills to compete then tough luck.

Ill nevr beat nadel in tennis or beat kobe in basketball but my sweat is going to count for something . maybe mineral water…, but hey that something to be proud off and come back harder than ever..

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Don’t get me wrong. They didn’t make it easier. More playable does not always = easy. If developments continues apace, I think you’ll be satisfied…They definitely made the point that this is the Ninja Gaiden you know and love.

+ DarkRecoil on June 30th, 2011 at 12:58 pm said:

@ mcbuttz78

The game was not “toned down” . it was fixed because the original NG2 on 360 was BROKEN. Please do some research before trying to spread false information. Thanks.

+ DeadlyHound on June 30th, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

I aint falling for this one… Hayashi made a lot of changes to NG2 and most of them were horrible. I mean who would take purple smoke over blood in a supposedly ultra violent game?! The only thing I like was that you could play with 3 other characters, but come on… Rachel was the only other character whose strength could be compared to Ryu’s.

+ DarkRecoil on June 30th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

btw, that cover is awesome. hope you dont mind but i just downloaded the Hi-res version from flicker, and its now my new wallpaper :)

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:28 pm said:

Download away! Just don’t forget to buy the issue!

+ JSiky on June 30th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

Boring franchise, I gave it a shot and I play a lot of other action games, but NG doesn’t really compare. Tried out Sigma versions and unless they’re just bad versions of the game, NG is really just overhyped garbage. It’s not even about the blood that’s the problem, the gameplay is a lot more shallow than people make it out to be.

I’m good with sticking to a slower action game if it’s going to actually make me think more than NG will ever. I’m waiting for you Dark Souls. And again, I’ve played tons of action games and NG just doesn’t compare to any of them, even DMC2 is better than this crap.

+ ERC1980 on June 30th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

@gary yeah i actually did see that when i got my copy yesterday just wanted to point that out lol

what’s wierd and annoying is that i never recieved the previous issue (the skyrim issue) and i even contacted potm customer support about it but i haven’t received a response about it. It’s been a reoccuring thing the last 3 issues.

don’t understand why

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:49 pm said:

DM me on twitter @tinymanrages. I’ll get you sorted.

+ marlyt on June 30th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

Dear Mr. Steinman,

Off topic: The ladies love you and guys want to be you. I would like to be you in my next life. Any advice???

On topic: These games are hard, point blank. I’m not sure if you’re the editor who made the point that you don’t like to be pummeled in every game and you usually play a lower setting cuz it’s about the journey and having fun. I’m the same way. I love these games visually but after a few chapters I just get sick of dying repeatedly. Oh I’ll buy it…but it won’t stick around long. Have a good one.

PS Love y’alls mag. It spanks GI’s hiney.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on June 30th, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

Dear “marlyt”:

To be me in your next, next life, you first have to fail aggressively in this one, come back as a lower (preferably insectoid) life form, get squished underfoot by a callous pedestrian, then come back as an even lower lifeform. Read: me.

Thanks for the compliments. Enjoy the issue!

+ eyesofreality03 on June 30th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

the cover reeks of awesome! goin to pick this one up on the 5th for sure!

+ Busca-Cabezas on June 30th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

How about a huge discount(better yet, FREE subscription… Woot! :D) on the PlayStation Mag for PS+ subscribers?? Good idea huh?

+ kc1998dx on June 30th, 2011 at 3:41 pm said:

YA’ll know when ya’ll bring sonic adventure to PSN why ya’ll bring sonic adventure 2 to PSN

+ KGH on June 30th, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

ah, hope this one features guyesers of blood and lots of decapitation.

+ mmaher on June 30th, 2011 at 5:02 pm said:

Hope you guys are listening to what the people want…

Blood and disemberment.

Rinse wash and repeat.

Lol

+ mcbuttz78 on June 30th, 2011 at 5:04 pm said:

@ 23, . No is speaking false facts towards anything the game is not yet out.. so we dont know any of the fact. Until then its all hear say and ear play..

They might have toned the game down so others can play it like so many title on the market today becuase gamers of this genration are wussy and scared to play a hard game. Look at what is selling “cod”.. Go do me fav or go play contra/ shinobe/ Ninja G/ pitfall/PAC MAN JR .. aT the arcade beat THEM on 25 cents and GET BACK AT ME .

Thats gaming to me.. this era of gaming is nothing more than easy play .. and you own 360 how the hell are going to speak to me . im playstation buyer of 15 yrs strong buddy address me as sir..before you your Gd yap to me..

And to Gary S ty for the kind reply bro. :).. please come by more often than not..

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legionairre group

+ Immortal_Inu on June 30th, 2011 at 6:31 pm said:

Man, I have to buy this issue! Also, this is not Sigma 3, just Ninja Gaiden 3.

+ BEASTXJASON on June 30th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

Beyond excited for this one. Cant wait to scream at the tv on hard lol

+ BuchNasty on June 30th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

@9 Ninja gaiden for the NES is not as hard as the first that came out for the xbox, and the 2nd NES is only hard bc there is a lack of continues. Hard… but not as hard…

+ FATHASUN on June 30th, 2011 at 7:50 pm said:

The difference between Ninjas and Pirates is that Pirates like to Party! They’re more laid back and wild, while Ninjas are more reserved and serious. Iv’e never seen a drunk Ninja.

+ grimmy on June 30th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

This is my first post ever to this blog…but i had to say what a great job you and the rest of the crew do on the mag. I love reading about games just as much as i do playing them…hate to use such a cliche but keep up the great work :)

+ leukoplast on June 30th, 2011 at 10:33 pm said:

I loved Ninja Gaiden Sigma, it was the first game I played when I got my PS3 in 2007. It was tough at certain points, but well worth the experience. Plus, at the time, I thought the graphics were amazing!

I played the NGS2 demo but never bothered with the game, it just wasn’t as fun as the original was for whatever reason. So now that NG3 is coming out and claiming to be a little different, I plan to keep my eye on this title, may even pick up a copy of PTOM to read the articles on it.

+ jaciintho on June 30th, 2011 at 11:16 pm said:

ive nevered played NG on ps or ps2. but if have demo to compare which game is more hardcore :)

@Gary Steinman
“Dear “marlyt”:

LOL

+ NinjaNabs on July 1st, 2011 at 2:59 am said:

an issue i wanted to discuss is the qriocity music unlimited service.why is canada the only country that doesnt get it?i checked on my psp and there wasnt a canada flag in the options.now i find this very sad.there are A LOT of ps3 users in canada,i can guarantee you that sony.so please fix this issue,i was even considering paying for the service.

+ DJThrall on July 1st, 2011 at 6:51 am said:

i gave up playing ninja gaiden as soon as i saw the dead or alive games then i gave up on them when they turned into cheap fighters with even cheaper boss fighters at the end (Dead Or Alive 4) now after all this time i have to say TECMO Ruined my Fav. games so i will never buy another game from them as long as i live

+ DJThrall on July 1st, 2011 at 6:54 am said:

and i am about to tell square soft where they can shove all there new final fantasys as they have grown old and boring now as the last good final fantasy was final fantasy 8 after that all the rest were garbage

+ ViolentGene on July 1st, 2011 at 2:35 pm said:

I’m a little bit down on how this game looks overall, it seems like they only added stuff that changes the dynamic of the game for the WORSE, not the better. But I guess I’ll wait to see what else they have in store.

However, I don’t think they should tone down the difficulty. Keep the hardcore for the hardcore. Like me. ;]

+ dragon_frost on July 1st, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

@ Gary Steinman..I really want ninja gaiden 3 to have dynamic gameplay mechanics that adapts to the players play style preference that gives the player the choice how to engage each situation weather it’s stealth or swords blazing?

+ dragon_frost on July 1st, 2011 at 5:07 pm said:

@ Gary Steinman..Also id like ninja gaiden 3 to have some james bond like ninja gear & weapons to handle different situations & a diversity of missions to advantage of the james bond like ninja gear & weapons?

P.S..Please talk to the developer team about my suggestions it would be greatly appreciated very much?

Thank You!

+ ericscolon on July 2nd, 2011 at 5:46 am said:

Team ninja needs to stop working on these crummy titles and get a new DoA on ps3 with Solid Snake as a bonus character (not as DLC). Where do you guys see a ninja? Rikimaru is no where to be found just like a real ninja, not like this wannabe DMC character.

+ M88ESIr on July 3rd, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

I can’t help but wonder, the previous titles on the PS3 were “… Sigma”.
They’re advertising this one as “Ninja Gaiden 3″ … no “Sigma”.
Makes me curious if the “Sigma” sub-title is no longer, or if they’ll be doing another re-release after the initial game ships. ???
I’m so confused. :-P

Also, yes, an Ultimate, be all, end all version of DoA needs to be brought to the PS3… and that’s fighting… no beach games. ;-)

+ LIJ_JON09 on July 4th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAGE 1 2