PS4-Infamous

Journey Takes Its First Steps This March

Jenova Chen's Avatar + Posted by Jenova Chen on Feb 16, 2012 // Creative Director, thatgamecompany

Journey for PSN: Sandy

As you may know from my recent tweet, the development of our latest PlayStation Network game, Journey, is finally complete. And today, we’re very excited to announce the official release date for Journey. You will be able to download it from the PlayStation Store for $14.99 starting March 13th, 2012. Three years ago, our last game, Flower, was part of the Spring Fever event on PSN, and this year Journey will kick off this year’s Spring Fever. Look for more information on the highlight games and sales of this year’s Spring Fever event on the PlayStation.Blog in the coming weeks.

With each game we create, we want to bring something truly unique and authentic to the user. We want our players to experience something they have never felt before. Our first game for PSN was flOw in 2007, a meditative zen video game haiku. We followed that in 2009 with Flower, our video game version of a poem about the tension between urban bustle and natural serenity. Journey, our third game, is an interactive parable, an anonymous online adventure to experience a person’s life passage and their intersections with other’s.

Journey for PSN: Tower

You wake alone and surrounded by miles of burning, sprawling desert, and soon discover the looming mountaintop which is your goal. Faced with rolling sand dunes, age-old ruins, caves and howling winds, your passage will not be an easy one. The goal is to get to the mountaintop, but the experience along the way is discovering who you are, what this place is, and what your purpose is. Travel and explore this ancient, mysterious world alone, or with a stranger you meet along the way. Soar above ruins and glide across sands as you discover the secrets of a forgotten civilization. Featuring stunning visuals, haunting music, and unique online gameplay, Journey delivers an experience like no other.

This last Sunday, February 12th, was the anniversary of the launch of our previous game Flower. We started working on Journey right after Flower launched, and the past three years have flown by extremely fast. In these three years, we at thatgamecompany and our friends in SCEA Santa Monica Studio have faced many challenges together and emerged stronger. Much sweat and tears have been put into the development of the game, and many people have come and gone.

Journey for PSN: Hall of Light

So for us, the Journey in the game has also become a metaphor for the development process of the game itself. Our team is very close to our own mountaintop; we are just a few short weeks away from letting the world experience what we’ve poured our hearts and souls into these last three years. I can’t describe how eager we are to let everyone finally play the game and hear about your experiences with it.

Stay tuned for more Journey news and updates in the coming weeks.

PAGE 1 2

+ BlindsideDork on February 16th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

I want this game despite not knowing much about it. Is that so wrong?

+ Ender_Bean on February 16th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

Finally! Yes! I love your games! Looking forward to getting as soon as it’s out!

+ Sean196 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:14 am said:

Is there a uk price and release date?

+ Blade133 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

I GOT YOU AMISH!!!

*Ahem*

The fact that the team at thatgamecompany can come together and execute such an abstract and complicated project with such a clear vision is absolutely incredible. Congratulations on finishing the game! I can’t wait to begin my journey next month.

+ Blood_Emblem on February 16th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

About one month from now! Cannot wait!

+ Angry-Puppy on February 16th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

Time to go out and get a new PSN card then!

+ iceboy9020 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

I played and loved Flower.
Question: Will we be able to play this beautiful game on our beautiful (and shiny) PlayStation Vita?

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 16th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Just PSN for now! Thanks to everyone so far for all of the encouragement! Can’t wait to see you online soon!

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

been looking forward to this one for a while now… thatgamecompany makes such unique and impressive games…

+ Go_Buddie_Go on February 16th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

Can’t wait to embark on a Journey this March ^__^

+ smintja on February 16th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

I have Spring Fever
And the only prescription
Is a Journey deal

Hows that for video game haiku?

Can’t wait x)

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

“a meditative zen video game haiku”

“a poem about the tension between urban bustle and natural serenity”

“an interactive parable, an anonymous online adventure to experience a person’s life passage and their intersections with other’s”

Jenova – your elevator pitches are fantastic!

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Jenova Chen on February 16th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

Imagine you were an executive hearing pitches like this, it’s still pretty amazing they got made.

+ DwayneW1987 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Great news! I placed this at Fantastic Fest in Austin, and it was amazing. The sounds are very immersive especially in the 7.1 surround sound headphones.

On a side note though, someone needs to speak with Qgames and let us know when a demo of Pixeljunk 4am will be available. Straight up.

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 16th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Thanks! And seriously. Cannot WAIT for 4am!

+ stlthriot on February 16th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

OMG sooo excited for this!! Less than a month away! =D

Btw, is there any chance we could get more Flower? I just love the levels and i want more of them!! :D Please! hehe

+ tenshin78 on February 16th, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

Can I play this game with my gf using the control #2 or its an online multiplayer only?

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Jenova Chen on February 16th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

It is an online multi-player only. It is not designed to be a 2-player co-op game. If you walk away from your gf in the game, you will likely see another one on the internet. :p

+ reson8er on February 16th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

Congratulations on completion! I will be there the moment it releases. TGC’s games take players to a “place” games rarely do.

+ Fedast on February 16th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

Looks like Ico/SotC. That means insta-buy.

+ M-Easy on February 16th, 2012 at 7:33 am said:

Finally!

+ LilWayneSuckz on February 16th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

Yesss!!!!!!! The art style reminds me of the Team Ico games. I hope they work with Sony again only this time on a retail game

+ JonJonXD on February 16th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

Day 1 purchase!

I can’t wait for this game!!!!!!!!

+ Zeer0id on February 16th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

Lovely post, Jenova. Journey’s beta was a wonderful taste — and tease — but I’m ecstatic to finally get the real thing.

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Jenova Chen on February 16th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Thanks Zeer0id. There are some subtle changes to the beta areas, hopefully it won’t feel the same this time going through.

+ Amish_Gramish on February 16th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

@Blade133:
It took you (and everyone else) long enough!

@Sean196:
It’s coming out in Europe on March 14th. Price has yet to be announced.

+ gus_xl on February 16th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

That’s a lot faster than I thought it would be. I’m really looking forward to this game! ( now, if only my vita could get here to keep me company while I wait )

+ DeathGazer on February 16th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

The funds are already in my PSN wallet for this.

I had so much fun with the beta and I CAN”T WAIT to play the full game!

+ dragonmagician on February 16th, 2012 at 7:55 am said:

Please re-release all 3 of your games for the Vita; it will be amazing. Or even better, just make them compatible with the Vita so that I don’t have to re-buy them.

And please start working on a new game for the Vita; with all of the inputs of the Vita, I have no doubt thatgamecompany will be able to create something truly unique. Just thinking about the possibilities make me excited.

+ Berae on February 16th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

Cant wait for that game!! Its gonna probably be at least as good as your other titles.

+ Infemeth on February 16th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

Looks like $15 well spent coming soon.

+ twistedfloyd on February 16th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

Flower was one of the best games this generation. Looking forward to your next unique adventure, Mr. Chen!

+ crazy_kracker1 on February 16th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

finally something that doesn’t have to do with the Vita looks interesting and whats the game play on this i like games that take a while to beat

+ Boxster17 on February 16th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

Have been keeping a $20 PSN card aside as I wait for this, easily a day 1 buy for me after playing the BETA. Can’t wait, and just a bit before my birthday as well so it’ll be a nice gift for myself :P

+ BxNYCBonaoDR on February 16th, 2012 at 8:38 am said:

They say you cant talk or even see other players gamertags if you come across them .Yet theres like 3 or 4 trophies that require you to beat the gm with other gamer. That sucks! its hard to do any given task with another player online if you can’t communicatre with them verbally or by text msg.

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 16th, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

I think you’ll see in Journey it’s quite magical when you find that stranger you’re just in-sync with. There are no lever-pulling co-op moments, though, so don’t worry about having to execute specific actions together to “beat” the game.

+ deanosre on February 16th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

Been way too patient! I can’t wait to see what ThatGameCompany has created for my enjoyment!!!! Trailers looks and sounds awesome.

+ Figboy on February 16th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

I feel like weeping! I’ve been waiting for so, so long! Journey will be MINE on the 13th! WOO HOO!

+ MiiAmigo on February 16th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

If only the option to pay for this game now was possible. I’d be more than happy to pre-purchase right now!

+ KwietStorm on February 16th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

That’s my birthday. Can I get it free?

+ sunburst15 on February 16th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

I downloaded flower on 12 for 12 and now I can´t wait to download Journey. Great job, and keep going on this way!!!!!

+ Ethereal on February 16th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Awesome news! You had me sold the day you announced it. thatgamecompany will always get my purchase day one. Video games can be art….

+ poisonedsodapop on February 16th, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

I am hype. No, not hyped, I am made of hype! I’ve been waiting!

+ DarthDanMan on February 16th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

@25
flOw is on the PSP so you could buy that for the Vita.

+ lisatsunami on February 16th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

I gave this 5 bars as soon as I saw “journey” in the title. Then I read Jenova’s post. You are an excellent writer, Jenova.

Yes, so getting this. Yes, been impatiently waiting. Yes, I echo the sentiment that this should also be on the Vita. Your company is so small it would take too long but why not subcontract that porting out, as they do for all the HD remakes so we could have it in a few months on the Vita?

+ alexfranco60 on February 16th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

I’m wondering… There’s any chance that Journey, Flow and Flower can go out in a Bluray Disc?

+ purchaseacc on February 16th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

anyway u guys might make an album for this?

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Jenova Chen on February 16th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

We’ve made music album for flower. Journey’s music is definitely worth an album :)

+ mappyman on February 16th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

I’ve followed the progress of this game since it’s first announcement and even watched the game conference where Jenova explained the philosophy of how this game came to be. Couldn’t be more excited to play this game!

+ ReptileHand on February 16th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

I have been saving $15 in my wallet for this game. I can’t wait to finally play it! These weeks will go by very fast and then it’ll be March 13th! Imagine playing this in Surround Sound 7.1, I loved the orchestral video you put up. It just brings a smile to my face knowing that people come together like this and create a game so vividly breathtaking that it could lighten up anyones CLOUDY day :3 (hint hint)

You guys have done a lot of hard work. I hope this isn’t the end for Thatgamecompany seeing as the 3 game contract you had is going to be over after this game comes out >.<

If you guys could have a discount for Flower on the week of release? I kind of held off on buying it even though it's been in my number 1 slot for quite awhile.

@sunburst15

what? I think you mean Eufloria…. I don't recall seeing Flower on the sale, if so I would've gotten it D:

+ KGH on February 16th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Please tell me there will be a demo…Thats still one reason why I haven’t bought flOw

+ Rinaldus91 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

It’s hard to believe that the wait will finally be over in just another month, but I’m sure I don’t have to tell you or any of the team that. I’m insanely excited to finally delve into Journey, and really can’t wait to see thatgamecompany to continue to grow.

Whatever it is you guys decide to do next, I hope you stick to your guns when it comes to artistic control, and that you all keep working with ideas that you want to work with. I remember first playing the in-browser version of flOw -years- ago, and it’s absolutely exhilarating to be there to watch the your projects evolve(at what seems like an exponential pace) into these really full and complete titles. It almost felt like growing up with an old friend, haha.

Anyways, can’t wait for the 13th, I’ll definitely be breaking the video game ban I committed myself to(for writing) to play it.

+ DarkKnight_9793 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

Any Chance of a bundle of all 3 games ( fl0w + flower + journey ? )

+ azariaspice on February 16th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

So excited! Though I thought it’d be a $9.99 game, I’ll still get it day one. Can’t wait to try it out, Flower was a fantastic game.

+ ThatCarlosGuy on February 16th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

Hi Mr. Chen, can you tell me if this game is open world or level based?

Either way I’m getting it, but still curious.

BTW, thanks for releasing this wonderful game on my birthday. :D

Jenova Chen's Avatar

+ Jenova Chen on February 16th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Between the starting desert and the final mountaintop, there are various open regions. The openness of each region varies. But between regions, there’s only one entry and one exit. So you can call each open region a level…

+ mcbuttz78 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

These guys a have great sence of humor..I also love how guys alway make very good exclusive games and win awards every year for the brand and stay so humble to ps nation fans with fresh ideas each time..Im rooting for you guys to get alot of awards for this game.. 3-3 if you will

mcbuttz78