GTAV PS4

PlayStation Blogcast 015: GDC Blowout, David Cage Talks Kara, PSN’s Next Wave

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Mar 08, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

You’re in the big time now, baby. Game Developers Conference is where the brightest talent comes to shine….and we’ve lined up said talent for exclusive GDC interviews you won’t find anywhere else. Want to know more about Quantic Dream’s new tech demo “Kara”? Our exclusive interview with Director David Cage will give full new details. Want to hear what thatgamecompany thinks of early Journey reviews? President and Co-founder Kellee Santiago reveals all. Or perhaps you’re more interested in upcoming PSN stunner Dyad ? We even delve into the future of PlayStation’s digital strategy with our first interview with Senior Director of PlayStation Digital Platforms Jack Buser, and a check-in with Drinkbox Studios, creators of PS Vita’s highly reviewed launch title Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

It’s a big show with big, big talent. What are you waiting for?

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

• Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • //Add Your Own

+ Bigbadwolfe143 on March 8th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Sounds like another great show, can’t wait to listen to it on my drive home. Thanks again for all you guys do!

+ Christian399 on March 8th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

Sony needs to sign on Cage as a first party developer, the man is a pioneer and visionary. Either that or he becomes another Insomniac. (Well, the loss would be greater as they just made highly competent, not brilliant games like David.)

When can we expect a Vita FW update btw? Near is still totally borked. Oh, and I hope you guys will be covering the Japanese Vita special tomorrow. Lots of new games/ announcements coming.

+ lisatsunami on March 8th, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

Thanks, Sid. Will download to my Vita when I get home & have this blog cast be my bedtime story. That QD post yesterday was incredible, as you no doubt know.

+ LilWayneSuckz on March 8th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

Love your show

+ crazy_kracker1 on March 8th, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

hey Sid off topic ? could of sworn on Monday they said dust514 would be out this week and store update has been done and no dust???

+ DaMann22 on March 8th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

@Drinkbox, LOVE MUTANT BLOBS ATTACK. If you have a Vita and $8 to spare then MBA is a great game. Can be done in one sitting but the collectables and higher scores keep you coming back. Keep making great games Drinkbox.

+ Surfaced on March 8th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

Great episode made great by the presence of great people!

lovin’ GDC week! Did you guy see those clowns outside Moscone West with the “God Hates Game Designers” signs? aahhahah

+ Mattsta001 on March 8th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Is Jack Buser the Home guy? Home may be successful financially but has failed to take off as a social hub for PS3 owners, which I believe was the original vision, and just seems an awkward, poorly realized collection of bad mini games and micro transactions. There is no compelling reason to use Home and it doesn’t instill confidence that PSN will be better.

I’m hoping Sony improve their digital game service because at the moment, apart from Journey, PSN is looking like a barren wasteland for good indie games. I see Capybara’s game was just snapped up by Microsoft as an exclusive and I can think of about 10 other cool looking indie games coming to XBLA. What do we have to look forward to on PSN?

+ Neil on March 8th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

Haven’t listened to this one yet but you guys should do away with the job title introductions, it seems pointless and too formal – especially since you’re all Senior something something. I noticed that Sid has been doing this but it needs to be consistent throughout.

Also I liked Jeff’s story on naming his daughter. You guys need to squeeze more of that stuff in there so the show isn’t so formulaic. One of the reasons I love to listen to Major Nelson’s podcast even though I prefer Playstation is that he goes off topic sometimes and keeps it light and fun which in the end makes it sound like friends hanging out. You guys actually sound like a group of co-workers doing a Playstation podcast together for work.

Other than that I am enjoying the show.

ps you guys should also write a post that lists sites that are creating awesome Vita wallpapers/Start SCreens.

+ Christian399 on March 8th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

Why do completely benign comments get pending moderation?

+ gravislord on March 8th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

At the 6 minute mark, they confirmed that if you download the (free) VITA version of Motorstorm RC, you are entitled to the PS3 version. Has this been corrected on the store yet? Last I checked, it is still wanting me to pay $7.49 (PS Plus user).

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on March 9th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Yeah, might’ve flubbed that one — I’m pretty sure the Scion-sponsored game is the Vita version.

+ DION3TO on March 8th, 2012 at 4:54 pm said:

I wish you guys could specify on the post what time you guys speak about each subject. That would be much easier to listen exactly what u wanna hear, :D

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on March 9th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

Guess you’ll have to listen to the whole thing :)

+ jhernandez360 on March 8th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

Sid, when can we hear something about being able to see our vita trophies on the ps3????

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on March 9th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

No word on that, but I’ll keep asking.

+ Mattsta001 on March 8th, 2012 at 5:42 pm said:

Just listening to the podcast, if developers still don’t realize they can self publish Sony is really doing a really poor job of communicating and getting the message out. Most indie devs are going to XBLA, not PSN. You guys seem to be living in lalaland. You really think 90 ideas implemented out of 5672 from the blogshare is good? That’s a terrible ratio. You should really sit down with a bunch of normal gamers and listen to them because there seems to be a bit of a disconnect happening.

+ bgardner on March 8th, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

quantic dream should be a first party studio and thatgamecompany should be too. yeah people who dont have a ps3 should get to play their games but dont fit with microsoft’s style. pick them up now. i think quantic dream should make a feature length film (ie. final fantasy advent children movie) does not have to be bast on a video game. have one question: When will the vita get copy and past and video/music sleep time?

+ Kchow23 on March 8th, 2012 at 6:14 pm said:

Listening to the episode now and I can’t wait to see what Quantic Dream will do next.. hopefully they join the Worldwide Studios party! Moreover, Motorstorm RC is also available for free in Canada, so it is probably available to everyone in North America?

+ RydogV on March 8th, 2012 at 7:40 pm said:

@crazy_kracker1 – Dust514 is not released yet…the way the article was worded was a bit confusing but it is slated as a Summer Release with no set date yet :(

Great show guys…awesome insights on some of the doin’s at the GDC. I was especially excited to about the Quantic Dream coverage. I saw the Kara demo yesterday evening and have watched it at least half a dozen times since. Incredible animation and narritive. I loved Heavy Rain and cannot wait to see what they come up with running off this new engine. Gonna be special for sure and so glad to have it is on PS3.

+ crazy_kracker1 on March 8th, 2012 at 7:54 pm said:

@16 thanks and crap i been surfing the store since the update Tuesday lol

+ sam123457_s_ on March 8th, 2012 at 8:23 pm said:

When will it be up on iTunes????

+ Logan22 on March 8th, 2012 at 8:42 pm said:

Great Show, but I would’ve asked David Cage how his new game project is coming along, in terms of the development. I would also ask if the game is strictly in the real world again (like Heavy Rain) or not. If we were to go by Kara, the game could be set in the future.

+ Logan22 on March 8th, 2012 at 8:50 pm said:

Do you guys have to approve the comment now first or something? This got me confused so I typed relatively the same thing twice :(

+ bdog21ivl on March 8th, 2012 at 10:53 pm said:

Can someone please do me a favor these hackers on call of duty world at war are floating around typing on your screen in bold red letters while in game play changing what your clan tag says wth im scared someone fix this please i had a chance to get one of there names its XiKlutchBootyX this is int funny i love shooters if u read this ty for a lil time

+ LeeorV on March 9th, 2012 at 1:38 am said:

I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Why is it that some PS Vita retail titles don’t have Platinum class trophy sets? the most jarring are Lumines and Katamari, both of which are 40$ game. this seems like a premonition for a very bad trend (at least for me, as a trophy hunter)

2.when can we expect to be able to view our Vita trophies from the PS3 and from the .playstaiton.com web sites that show trophies? it’s annoying that we can’t know exactly how many of those we have without the actual system.

3. related to no. 2, when can we expect to be able to see other PSN players that are on Vita as online from the PS3 system?

would appreciate an answer to these, even better if it’s in the podcast itself.

+ Bleedthesky78 on March 9th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

Great Podcast guys! I was happy to hear free Motorstorm RC DLC! That was for the Vita correct? I heard Sid say PS3 in there and then Vita, just wondering!

+ RydogV on March 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Alright, I don’t usually post twice but maaaaannnnn…you guys are in some trouble with me LOL. I just finished reading CCP’s CmdrWang’s BlogPost regarding DUST 514…and discoved that they were in fact at the GDC!!! Very, very, very disappointed with you fellas for no securing an interview on this weeks Blogcast.

A breakthrough, cross-platform (PS3, PC and Vita), persistant, MMO/FPS exclusive to PlayStation…AND it will be FREE to download this summer…and you didn’t think we might want to hear about that from you?!

LUUUUUUCCCCY…you got some s’plainin’ to dooooooo!!!!! LOL

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on March 9th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

We’ll get something with them soon, not to worry :)

+ Joey-Wan on March 9th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Hey, guys. Love the show. I wanted to leave a user tip about how to disable the beep when the PS3 boots up, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I’m the type of gamer who enjoys getting in an hour of gaming with headphones on before the wife wakes up on a Saturday morning. The bootup beep is the last piece of the puzzle preventing me from Saturday morning stealth gameplay. Any ideas?

+ Elvick_ on March 9th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

Kellee! <3 I could listen to her talk all the time.

+ krae_man on March 9th, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

Ha Ha Ha. I was playing Plants Vs Zombies on my Vita while listening to the podcast and it has an awesome feature where you can tilt the Vita to collect money and sun. I got to a point in a stage where I planted all I needed to plant and spent the rest of the stage lightly shaking the Vita to collect the sun and coins that drop. Unfortunately the game took the lack of me pressing buttons or touching the screen as the system being idle and it went into sleep mode mid stage.

You might want to adjust what conditions qualify as “the system is idle, go into sleep mode”.

+ Pincer on March 9th, 2012 at 7:47 pm said:

Sweet. you guys enjoyed my tip and read it on air! (Applying a Screen protector). My 15 mins of fame baby! hahah. Keep up the great work on the podcast!

+ m1ndsize on March 10th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

Hey guys,

So I use Google calendar a lot and have been adding in game release dates, for some games i’m interested in. But then I came across this http://www.ps3blog.net/2010/09/11/ps3-release-calendar/ . The author wrote a program that scrubs amazon for PS3 release dates and then he creates a Google calendar; that you can add to your personal calendar. Might be worth checking out…

+ BladeGash on March 11th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Hey guys, love the show. I was wondering if there is any update on the Vita’s software in terms of PSOne Compatibility, or even an updated PSP compatibility list? While I’m on the subject, is there any news on future PSOne Classics? I am dying for SaGa Frontier, and the Mega Man X PS1 games.

+ LILJVAS1997 on March 11th, 2012 at 5:55 pm said:

Playstation plus is awsome I got sly 1 this week and im totally satified so thank you whoever is incharge of psnplus

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on March 12th, 2012 at 6:30 am said:

you may have flubbed on the motorstorm rc being free for ps3 but dont ya think you should own up and do just that, now that you said it was a reality. some might get upset that it isn’t given free to those that dloaded the vita version.

oh and speaking about the vita, WHERE IS MINE!!! its been weeks since launch and ONE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES that called me up from grace chen’s phone( found out the number by calling foster city hq office and got confirmation from your front desk personel) and said i was getting one for FREE in the mail still hasn’t arrived. distrust sony is a bad economical thing. viral video coming soon………………………………………………………………

+ AGQ0105 on March 12th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

Hey guys., thanks for the show. I was wondering where people can make suggestions about features to Vita.. Just in case you guys are interested I was browsing the net on the Vita and thought it would’ve great if we had the option to use rear touch to scroll on any website. :)

+ AGQ0105 on March 12th, 2012 at 5:46 pm said:

^ Features for** the vita

+ Devryn17 on March 12th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

I’m having a bear of a time getting remote play on the Vita to work with my PS3, but ONLY when I’m away from the house (which I am 5 days a week). Port 9293 is directed at my PS3, and it still doesn’t seem to want to work remotely. Works fine as long as I’m at home and on the same Wifi network. It won’t work remotely. Help.

+ Exalted_Knight on March 13th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

I just listened to this weeks Blogcast.. I’m sorry.. I’m normally on the day of when it comes to listening to this wonderful content! I hope to see the PlayStation Network continue to rise and be the best Platform for games out there! Love the Blog, Love PlayStation.. Congrats to all the wonderful game makers. Congrats to Jack Buser! Congrats to Sid, Jeff, Rey, and Nick! for a well job done on the PlayStation Blog.. Btw: my name is Nick too!!! We’ll I decided to submit a user tip here.. If it has already been used then ok.. but here goes.. when you scroll over to your friendslist and you want them in alphabetic order all you have to do is press triangle and choose to change the order of your friendslist on your ps3 friendslist.. Im not sure if it is the same on vita..? anyone try that out yet!

Cheers! Sincerely a diehard PlayStation fan,