Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Mar 29

Mar 29

Journey is PSN’s Fastest-Selling Game, Soundtrack Coming Soon

Jenova Chen's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, thatgamecompany

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers. It has been an exciting two weeks for us since we launched Journey on PlayStation Store. We see the personal connection between our work and the players, which is the most real and priceless reward for us. For that, we thank you so much for your support, for spending time and money to play our game and for spreading the word about Journey to your dear friends and family. Thanks to you, Journey has officially broken PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store sales records, surpassing all first and third-party games to become the fastest-selling game ever released in the SCEA region on the PlayStation Network.

Journey for PSN

After we released Flower in 2009, players sent hundreds of emails about their experience with the game. They varied from a nine-year-old girl to a 65-year-old man, from a marine serving duty overseas, to a soldier returning from Iraq. There were even stories about a mother’s memory of her two children in the wheat fields, a surreal butterfly fantasy from someone’s grandmother who passed away, and a young man who spoke about his brother who has Down syndrome. Those kinds of letters are what drive us at TGC to keep working.

And now, the reaction to Journey has been even more overwhelming. We have received more letters from fans in the two weeks since Journey’s launch than we did for Flower over the past three years!

Flower for PSN

We owe a lot to our fans. In fact, idea of forming the thatgamecompany team to create games with Sony Santa Monica originated from several dozen emails that players sent in after playing our first student game, Cloud, from our time at USC. It was the players who told us how moving the game was and how it is important that we keep making these types of games so that more people in the world will realize what video games can be, and can grow to love games through our work. To me, that was a life-changing moment. I knew making games was my life calling.

Journey: Japanese Fan Art

This art piece expresses our gratitude.

Lastly, a lot of you have seemed to really enjoy the music in the game, which was composed by Austin Wintory. And we’ve received a lot of requests to release the soundtrack of the game. Well, I’m happy to announce that the soundtrack will be hitting the PS Store and iTunes on April 10, and there will be a limited CD release in the near future as well.

Thanks, again, for all your support. We’ll see you online!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

TomatoDragon said:

March 29th, 7:06 am

AWESOME! This is one of my favorite games this gen, and was so hoping the soundtrack would become available. Congrats to ThatGameCompany, Sony, and everyone else who worked on this masterpiece. The gaming community definitely needs more gems like this.

Shane_O said:

March 29th, 7:09 am

Congratulations on an awesome game/experience!

P.S. I heard this morning that Kellee Santiago was leaving. I wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors!

Xer0Signal said:

March 29th, 7:11 am

Huge congrats, and well-deserved!

Journey impressed me more than any other game this generation.

Blade133 said:

March 29th, 7:11 am

Congratulations! And well deserved, if I may say so myself. Journey has a heart and soul unlike any other game I’ve ever played. Best of luck on your next project tgc.

NeoPhantome said:

March 29th, 7:12 am

I seem to be the only one who’s not interested in this game at all O_o oh well Congratulation anyway :) i’m not a hater ;) just not my kind of game.

krage_bellbot said:

March 29th, 7:14 am

This game was the reason I became a member of Playstation Plus. Many congratulations to thatgamecompany and good luck to your future endeavors Kellee!

JesteR1701one said:

March 29th, 7:15 am

Totally overrated game. Played it for an hour and never played it again.

Mattsta001 said:

March 29th, 7:24 am

Probably my Game of the Year. Just such an amazing beautiful game and a joy to play. I hope tgc and Sony make many more games like this together.

johnnyp70 said:

March 29th, 7:26 am

I won a code for this game from the Blogcast. I haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but I cannot wait. I just haven’t had the 2-3 to dedicate to a complete playthrough. But thank you Sony and thatgamecompany for the free game, and what I assume will be a great experience.

MarinoBrea said:

March 29th, 7:26 am

I can’t believe it passed Final Fantasy VII…oh wait, fastest-selling. Fastest to what? 50K?

johnnyp70 said:

March 29th, 7:26 am

edit:

2-3 hours

Monterossa said:

March 29th, 7:27 am

what so good about this game?

I didn’t buy a PS3 to play a flash game like this.

BLEACH-Fan said:

March 29th, 7:29 am

Such and awesome fresh experience thank you ThatGameCompany :D

DeltaSigmaNoise said:

March 29th, 7:30 am

It was a truly wonderful experience. Not only was it engrossing (just couldn’t stop from beginning to the end!) but the experience of mingling with, helping out, and being helped by a complete stranger who soon becomes an intimate partner as you explore the journey together – it all provided an emotional depth in a game unlike anything I’ve experienced in recent years.

Been looking forward to the soundtrack myself. I’d love to listen to it while studying or drawing.

Christian399 said:

March 29th, 7:35 am

Why Sony doesn’t make TGC and David Cage 1st party I’ll never understand. Honestly, its refreshing, inspiring even to see games take a direction other than “multiplayer/ online/ FPS”. Bought this the week it was offered on + but haven’t played it yet. That said, I haven’t been disappointed by TGC’s other games and I wanted to support this style of game – it was a no-brainer purchase.

MUGEN02 said:

March 29th, 7:37 am

Needs a demo.

Arkafazin said:

March 29th, 7:41 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience. I bought it day one, but only got around to playing it just the other day. Since then, I’ve played through it 3 times and plan to play it at least one more time very soon. It was an emotional experience and one I won’t ever forget!

D-Squad3 said:

March 29th, 7:44 am

This is great news, wish that TGC would be a 1st party for Sony.

Grand_Viceroy said:

March 29th, 7:44 am

Well, ufortunately I haven’t yet played this game yet, but now I am more intrigued about it. I think I too shall check it out in the near future (as soon as my PS3 gets back from being repaired, that is LOL).

dragonmagician said:

March 29th, 7:56 am

Congrats!!! Hope this will help you decide to stay on PSN for future projects.

Berae said:

March 29th, 8:03 am

Congratulation!

Thank you for the best experience i have had in a while in this “industry”. Cant wait to see what will be coming next!
For now tho, enjoy Journey everyone!

Berae said:

March 29th, 8:05 am

@16 MUgen02

you dont get the game if you think you need a demo. Its a whole you cant just play a part of it…

Heavenly_king said:

March 29th, 8:07 am

not my kind of game :S

Zookey said:

March 29th, 8:11 am

Masterpiece definitely. Enjoyed it start to finish!

JamesTSkywalker said:

March 29th, 8:12 am

@Monterossa

If you think this is a ‘Flash’ game, you are incredibly foolish and mistaken. The visuals of Journey rival those of AAA-published disc-based games; the sand physics are comparable, if not better, than Uncharted 3; the sound and music are orchestrated to perfection.

I’m sad for your mistaken ideas about this game, because it is truly a transcendent experience.

MarkakaJin said:

March 29th, 8:17 am

Flower is one of the best I have ever played since long that I could remember playing the last video game that moved me. Journey is up to that level as well. When I play a video game, I want to remember a few, if not some, of the greatest moments I had with the game. Keep up from what you guys have been doing and don’t lose it like other game developers who have fallen and lost my faith. Thanks a bunch and I’m looking forward to your next project.

TheGuardianFID said:

March 29th, 8:21 am

It’s a Masterpiece Jenova, I’ll be playing it again today after waiting a week to get the last trophy, I really wanted to play it for like the eighth time sooner but I’m a trophy whore lol. 8P 8D

Link01 said:

March 29th, 8:29 am

Congrats guys and well deserved. I would like to hear an ‘average’ sale figure though ;)

KwietStorm said:

March 29th, 8:33 am

I thought about getting it. But then I didn’t.

RidleysBox said:

March 29th, 8:37 am

I bought this as a pre-order, and I still have yet to find the time to play it >.<

Are the servers international, or region specific? Not that it matters, just curious.

LordRaoh said:

March 29th, 9:07 am

thatgamecompany is THAT GAME COMPANY.

They deserve all their success and I hope they achieve much more.

FearMonkey said:

March 29th, 9:13 am

Congrats, thatgamecompany. I have loved every single one of your games thus far and Journey was certainly no exception. One of the most amazing works of art I’ve ever played. Thank you and I can’t wait to see what you guys do next. :)

Ladykiller64 said:

March 29th, 9:21 am

Journey is one of the best experiences I’ve had, gaming or not. Thank you thatgamecompany.

PainOfSarrow said:

March 29th, 9:26 am

this game looks extremely over rated. i could be wrong though and hope i am. i might download this very soon but depends. im a hardcore GOW and GTA fan and from watching videos it realy looks like just sand and scarfs and pretty graphics. can someone please tell me something else besides just Beautiful art graphics ? thats all i see in every coment. i need more them just graphics. dont get me wrong i love to take a break and relax from my hardcore games. i hope this game is it, but graphics aint telling me a steep 15$ for an 1 hour 30 minutes game isn’t it.

DION3TO said:

March 29th, 9:46 am

Truly deserved. This is such a masterpiece. Nothing in the industry is even similar to the experience of playing Journey. I was a true PS+ member who was more than willign to spend US$ 15 to buy this amazing game. I just totally loved it.

Thanks and congratulations, Thatgamecompany.
U guys rock.

MushThePainter said:

March 29th, 10:04 am

congrats! looking forward to your next project

Robbie_G_lrish said:

March 29th, 10:13 am

In my 21 years of playing video games Journey is the best game that I have ever played. You guys deserve every sale you get and much more. I will be getting the soundtrack for sure, hopefully on CD.

JonJonXD said:

March 29th, 10:21 am

You guys deserve this. This game is a master piece.

JonJonXD said:

March 29th, 10:23 am

Also, keep us posted about the CD. I would love to own a physical CD of the soundtrack.

saintaqua said:

March 29th, 10:54 am

I’m ashamed to share the same avatar as #12 (Monterossa)
You probably have no idea how good these games are and play COD exclusively.

And to That Game Company, please stay with Sony! I fear that if you leave PSN your games will not be as pure and free as they have been.
I hope you will release Flow, Flower and Journey on Blu Ray some day so even more people will experience it!

DeathGazer said:

March 29th, 11:11 am

Well deserved. I expect Journey and thatgamecompany to clean up the competition when awards season comes around.

Much like Naughty Dog did in 2009.

Psx0005 said:

March 29th, 11:17 am

Congratulations on this accomplishment, it is well deserved and indicates that there is indeed an audience looking for originality and feeling in the games that they buy. I’m waiting on an eventual price drop down the line so I can fully enjoy Journey, as my financial situation has limited my extracurricular activities. I know I won’t be disappointed once I’ve played the game, much like I wasn’t when I first bought flOw and Flower in the last couple of years :)

mcbuttz78 said:

March 29th, 11:34 am

And right fully so.. you guys deserve the money your making a good original game each and every time.. Gamers respect that young and old.. I thinbk dont understand that this has out sold ff and imfamaous blood festival inthe 1st week .. now the numbers of those game is high . I cant fathom the numbesr but I know its very high.

Keep up the great work and dnt stray your path of originalty and dnt the money blind you.. Let your game do the talking which is has been alot of for you. We will continue to support Tgc. Hopefully sony will bring you in the family as AAA studio. Which is long over do.

mcbuttz78
vp psn legionairre group

RyuuNoSekai said:

March 29th, 11:38 am

I have never been this excited for a soundtrack. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, THATGAMECOMPANY & AUSTIN WINTORY!?!

Emerald_Swords said:

March 29th, 11:38 am

Well deserved guys! Keep making more of these =D

mcbuttz78 said:

March 29th, 11:46 am

@ 5o the fastest game on psn was infamous blood festival with 1million downloads in the 1- 2wk, the 2nd was final fantasy 7.. selling 800k copies the 1-2st week.

I dont how many copies this game sold but it its over 1 million or so.. I think monster hunter is best selling psn psp game of all time with 2.5 million sold.. Which is still the all time greatest game sold psp/psn ever , but journey has good chance of breaking that if it can get past the final fantsy titles. which has already done for a few of them on the all greatest list..This is very exciting time for the brand

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniarre group

KazeEternal said:

March 29th, 11:53 am

A magnificent game that everyone should play.

However the length and lack of variation and challenge makes it not worth the 15 dollars. 10 would have been a better price.

crazy_kracker1 said:

March 29th, 11:59 am

game looks so amazing will be getting it tomorrow

Zoidzerg said:

March 29th, 12:10 pm

A demo would be nice, bar that, I think I need to read up on it before I buy. I have no clue how this game plays. Flower was excellent which is almost enough for me to just buy this title outright.

Hooligantuan said:

March 29th, 12:14 pm

Just to be sure I’m reading this correctly…

Journey is a rad, runaway success story as a post-scarcity commodity at $14.99 a purchase, so everyone celebrate by buying the soundtrack? Is that how this works?

PAGE 1 2