PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Journey is PSN’s Fastest-Selling Game, Soundtrack Coming Soon

Jenova Chen's Avatar + Posted by Jenova Chen on Mar 29, 2012 // Creative Director, thatgamecompany

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers. It has been an exciting two weeks for us since we launched Journey on PlayStation Store. We see the personal connection between our work and the players, which is the most real and priceless reward for us. For that, we thank you so much for your support, for spending time and money to play our game and for spreading the word about Journey to your dear friends and family. Thanks to you, Journey has officially broken PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store sales records, surpassing all first and third-party games to become the fastest-selling game ever released in the SCEA region on the PlayStation Network.

Journey for PSN

After we released Flower in 2009, players sent hundreds of emails about their experience with the game. They varied from a nine-year-old girl to a 65-year-old man, from a marine serving duty overseas, to a soldier returning from Iraq. There were even stories about a mother’s memory of her two children in the wheat fields, a surreal butterfly fantasy from someone’s grandmother who passed away, and a young man who spoke about his brother who has Down syndrome. Those kinds of letters are what drive us at TGC to keep working.

And now, the reaction to Journey has been even more overwhelming. We have received more letters from fans in the two weeks since Journey’s launch than we did for Flower over the past three years!

Flower for PSN

We owe a lot to our fans. In fact, idea of forming the thatgamecompany team to create games with Sony Santa Monica originated from several dozen emails that players sent in after playing our first student game, Cloud, from our time at USC. It was the players who told us how moving the game was and how it is important that we keep making these types of games so that more people in the world will realize what video games can be, and can grow to love games through our work. To me, that was a life-changing moment. I knew making games was my life calling.

Journey: Japanese Fan Art

This art piece expresses our gratitude.

Lastly, a lot of you have seemed to really enjoy the music in the game, which was composed by Austin Wintory. And we’ve received a lot of requests to release the soundtrack of the game. Well, I’m happy to announce that the soundtrack will be hitting the PS Store and iTunes on April 10, and there will be a limited CD release in the near future as well.

Thanks, again, for all your support. We’ll see you online!

93 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ bmore2bstuy on March 29th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

I’m always reluctant to buy into the hype of these games…I bought Flow and it was OK but left me wanting. Heard great things about Flower….been meaning to check that out. And the hype of Journey is just deafening…will pick this up eventually as well. Suffice it to say that it is experiences like these that people seem to be having that make reinforce the reason I bought my PS3 in the first place. Congrats and all the best to you TGC for taking risks and making original/creative content. Congrats and all the best to you Sony for fostering and supporting an environment where that creativity can thrive.

+ crazy_kracker1 on March 29th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

@ 50 good point

+ namDa65 on March 29th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

Proud to be one of those purchasers. Great game ! :)

+ JayBizzle311 on March 29th, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

Well deserved!!! I bought this immediately day one when made available early for PS+… Everything about Journey is magical. For such a simple scheme it draws you in and captivates you more than just about anything.

I’ve already got 100% on it. But, I am nowhere done playing this gem. I forsee many Journeys in my lifetime.

it’s just that fun.

Sad to see Kellee Santiago leave thatgamecompany… But I figure since she has been working with them since the beginning, it makes sense she wants to explore different options and/or just try something new.

+ gus_xl on March 29th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

Thanks for making the game. It’s one of my favorites.

+ OCxViRuXz on March 29th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

T.G.C. You have made one heck of a game with such deep emotions tied into it. I haven’t yet had the chance to play Flow and Flower so for me buying Journey was do to the hype and the unique online play with total strangers. After playing this game though, I am proud to be part of the Journey. Can not wait for the sound track as well.

As for the jerks on here commenting about how short the game is, its over rated and its not hard core like gow and gta…. Get over it. Its not meant to be like other games out there. Its a refreshing new experience its a Journey you undergo alone or with a stranger. Its a game that takes you on an emotional ride from beginning to end. So if you cant blog nicely about Journey then plz go blog somewhere else.

+ Erlaxis on March 29th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

So glad to read these news. Journey is a wonderful and unique game.

But it really isn’t for everyone. I think one needs to find some kind of enjoyment in the adventure genre to be able to apreciate it.

+ Juhal_1234 on March 29th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

Released on playstation Store?

WOOHOO THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

now, where is flow soundtrack? on playstation store….. im waiting Make it happen Austin =D

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 29th, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Awesome, can’t wait to pick up the soundtrack! Thanks TGC, Journey was a great experience and I’m so glad I got to play it. You guys are really something special. Good luck to your whole team, hope you all keep making great games.

+ lisatsunami on March 29th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

To Master Chen,

Thank you for this inexpressible experience. I am @ 100 % & I had to play many times to get that surfing trophy but it was worth it. Only Journey & Skyrim have made me so dedicated to “completing” a game.

Never mind the haters. They have the emotional & intellectual range of a mountain troll. Hopefully most of them will grow out of that someday.

I will get the soundtrack for my Vita.

+ sunburst15 on March 29th, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

Thanks Thatgamecompany for the amazing experience.
I wish you guys more success, so I can play more games like this.

+ Mcbeanstr on March 29th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Loved this game very well deserved TGC, I really want that soundtrack now

+ triple_lei on March 29th, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

Waiting for a game + soundtrack bundle. Thanks!

+ Permafry_42 on March 29th, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

I’m definitely getting that CD release! Please be sure to release the soundtrack both digitally and physically on amazon.com if possible! I can’t not express how wonderful of a game Journey is for me and my family, and I hope more than ever that Thatgamecompany will continue to create these masterpieces of Art in the form of Video Games! I highly recommend that thatgamecompany gets in contact with the Smithsonian art of video game exhibit and tries to get Journey and Cloud a space in the exhibit right next to Flow and Flower; every game ever made by thatgamesompany deserves to be displayed in their exhibit as the masterpieces they are! Also, on that note, PLEASE release an artbook showcasing all the wonderful concept art for all the video games made by thatgamecompany, including Cloud, Flow, Flower, and Journey! I’ve already submitted the idea to Share, and I can’t express enough how much it would mean to me and all of your many fans!

+ GranpireV on March 29th, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

Good news. But I’d also like to see some numbers.

Anyway, I loved the game. Totally worth it.

+ NotoriousGamer on March 29th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

good job on making a great game! so fastest selling to what figure? 100k? 1 million?? how much did it sell?

+ poisonedsodapop on March 29th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

SOUNDTRACK?! TWO DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY TOO?! You’ve made me a happy girl.

+ poisonedsodapop on March 29th, 2012 at 4:54 pm said:

You really can’t have a demo of Journey. If you played a demo you would leave it not wanting to get the game, I can guarantee it. The game is meant to be played in one sitting (which is about 1-2hours) and it has a narrative that you couldn’t grasp in a few moments of a demo.

Also for those who think it’s overrated, a flash game, and not hardcore enough you’re probably not the type of person who’d enjoy Journey. I play all kinds of games, I play GTA, I play Battlefield, I make it a goal to platinum all my Uncharted games (still working on 3, life comes first) so I’m not a “casual” gamer. I’m also an artist. When I saw Journey a few years back I was really excited. It wasn’t even really the graphics or anything that got me but the exploration. While I did hope the world was more open it was a very enriching experience and the fact that it had a story truly surprised me. The game was amazing and if you want to pass up on the experience because you’re “hardcore” or it’s not flashy enough for you then no one is going to be hurting but you. It’s a great game and it deserves all the “hype” it’s getting.

+ plaztiksyke on March 29th, 2012 at 5:07 pm said:

Please release the soundtrack as 24-bit WAV. Paying $10 for Wii-quality MP3s is ridiculous and insulting. Thanks! :)

+ Sponge-worthy on March 29th, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

Congratulations Sony and thatgamecompany.

Please keep us posted on the CD release. I loves me some lossless audio :)

+ Izanagi-no-Okami on March 29th, 2012 at 8:01 pm said:

I don’t usually comment on here, but I just wanted to take this time to thank you Jenova and everyone at thatgamecompany for this amazing game. Not only was it a wonderful experience I won’t soon forget, but it is something special to me too for letting me meet an old friend again that I had lost contact with.

Also, congratulations. It is well deserved.

+ Chronotic on March 29th, 2012 at 8:44 pm said:

Thank you Jenova and Thatgamecompany for putting out amazing, emotional games. Thank you Sony, for taking chances with unique psn content.

+ Chronotic on March 29th, 2012 at 8:45 pm said:

Also, we need Flow, Flower and Journey on Vita. Make it happen, Sony ;)

+ sheik_ah on March 29th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

so pretty !! \(^.^)/

+ Elvick_ on March 30th, 2012 at 1:27 am said:

A CD RELEASE YUS

YUS. Buying that baby.

+ Strangeheaven on March 30th, 2012 at 5:10 am said:

Nice looking game,lovely annimation. The only problem is that it’s to short,only taken me 3 hours to complete it.
It would have been great if was 15- 20 hours.

+ CrystalX3D on March 30th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

I kind of wish I could go back in time to before I played Journey so that I could play it again for the first time.

+ NoonenF1 on March 30th, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

Really great work with Journey, I’ve played through twice and plan on making more “journeys.” I look forward to your next project!

+ fatjoe400 on March 30th, 2012 at 8:36 am said:

Very good game. Rank it up their with both Ico and Shadow of The Colossus for top adventure games. Game is simple but every thing in the game has soul (or weight). Simply moving through the game was a dreamy experience. Not a game for impatient people or fps obsessed people lol.

+ saab01 on March 30th, 2012 at 8:44 am said:

When we will see a blog post of a price drop coming soon ?

+ headronefish on March 30th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Limited CD release? I would rather have this in a LP, but I guess that’s a little unreasonable.

I’ll be getting it from PSN if the price is decent, Journey is easily the best thing I have played in a long time and the same could be said of the soundtrack.

Well done TGC, and thank you for the experience.

+ TheTwelve on March 30th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

Big, big props, you deserve every bit of praise and reward for this. Journey shall stay on my XMB forever.

+ TJF588 on March 30th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Gotta pipe in with thanks. As you guys may or may not remember from Facebook, this game almost had me in tears…from CO-OP. Not just a co-op campaign, but the actual mechanic itself. So glad I didn’t look at the trophy list (though soon my hunt for a flower will begin…).

Found that image’s sauce on pixiv, too: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=25999459
Man oh man, so many good fanarts up there. Strangely, I’m more intimidated to see what deviantART has whipped up.

+ cleversignin on March 30th, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

This game really moved me, won’t go into why to avoid spoilers but the final level was rough on me. I got a little misty towards the end as my fellow traveler did his/her best to keep me going. happy to see it paid off so you can finance the next amazing project.

PS – still rocking the flower theme, I like the ones that change with time of day, please make a day/night theme for journey. it would be pretty nifty in the sands.

+ nemesisx10 on March 30th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

GREAT NEWS FOR THEGAMECOMPANY.

+ cityof_trees on March 30th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

Can you give the artist some credit? Sakiko (サキコ) on pixiv.net

Direct link: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=25999459

+ angelspawn77 on March 30th, 2012 at 4:13 pm said:

Congrats to TGC for such an amazing work of art! I absolutely love the game, I loved Flower and this one did not disappoint. The only complaint I have about the game is that it’s not longer, it can pretty much be finished in one sitting depending on if you do a lot of exploring or not. It’s not that big of a deal though since I see myself playing this game from time to time over the years. Currently I’m trying to get all the trophies :)

+ God-Of-Lyf on March 31st, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Over hyped, Over rated, Over priced game of the year. If this is the epitome of what the PS3 can do, I fear the worse day has come my friends. I can’t say that I’m much surprised with the sea of FPS’s and shovelware the gamers have to choose from. There is not much innovation hitting the Ps3 anymore. With the under used Move support, to the gimmick 3D; when a game like this gets praised over anything else it makes me embarrassed to own a PS3. IMO of course.

So let me guess, The soundtrack will cost the monkeys 9.99 right? I swear they need to change the PSN to the PMN (Playstaion Money Network)(Looking at you ME3) It wouldn’t surprise me if they started charging a soundtrack fee separate from the game purchase just to have it in-game. Who listens to the music outside the game anyways. What a waste. Again, IMO.

+ Windxtravelerx on March 31st, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

@86 Fortunately this is your opinion. It looks like you and some people here can’t understand that not all games out there are made to shoot, slash, kill and repeat this over and over again (your avatar is a good example of this “tactic”, by the way). You see, some games are made to bring us, open-minded players, a new and personal experience that will stick with your head probably for a good time. Games like ICO, Shadows Of The Colossus, Flower, Limbo or Journey were not made to be ordinary games like so many other ones that we play often. They are unique. And to me, and apparently to a lot of other players here, playing Journey is a refreshing and interesting new experience. So if this is not innovating for you,then i suggest you to stick with your dear GOW-like games, please. And if you’re so disappointed with the games that are being released for the PS3, you can sell your console and do something better with the money you’ll earn from it OR keep the console and accept what it has to offer you. Unless, of course, you’re a game designer, which in this case i’d suggest you to make a better and more innovative game than Journey. We’ll be waiting for it anxiously here.

+ Windxtravelerx on March 31st, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

Oh, and I LOVE to listen to OST from so many games out there: Chrono Cross/Trigger, Okami, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter (yes, mainly the 3rd Strike ones), killer7, No More Heroes…and the list goes on. So, you can say that i like to waste my time a lot. I don’t care.

+ Carlos_Gabranth on March 31st, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

Journey has the best multiplayer experience ever, it’s a ELEMENTAL coop, not based in kills or ratios, it’s based in true human feelings.

+ eddieARG on April 9th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

EPIC GAME!!!
EPIC SOUNTRACK!!!
Thanks!

+ GameGuppy on April 10th, 2012 at 8:49 pm said:

Although the soundtrack released today, I haven’t had a chance to download it. My son always occupies the PS3 with his DVDs, leaving me hardly any time to log on. I usually have to wait until he goes to sleep, which is what I’m going to have to do. Can’t wait!

PAGE 1 2