Tearaway Unfolded

Aug 15

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Unzips PS Vita Support and Competitive Mode

Shaun McCabe's Avatar Posted by Shaun McCabe on Aug 15, 2012 // Production Director, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone, I’m Shaun McCabe, production director at Insomniac Games’ North Carolina studio. Since this is my first PS.Blog post, I’ll briefly introduce myself. I joined the company in 2003 during the development of Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, but I’ve been an Insomniac fan going all the way back to Disruptor on the PlayStation.

As you may have heard, yesterday we announced that our dynamic duo’s latest adventure, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, is coming to both PS3 and PS Vita! Working closely with our friends at Tin Giant, who are helping bring the game to PS Vita, we’re delivering full cross-play and cross-save support. So, the ever-popular, “Well, I’d love to be playing Ratchet & Clank right now, but am stuck at the bus stop/office/police station/etc.” can no longer apply. Not only will the game feature cross-play and cross-save, but it’s also part of a super-cool promotional offer where anyone who purchases Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3 via PlayStation Network will be able to download the PS Vita version of the game from PSN at no additional cost and vice versa.

Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault

And today, we have even more news to share. A few weeks ago, we revealed the first gameplay details about Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault. We even teased a new online mode, and now it’s time to expose it all right here.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault is returning to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series is known for, while adding a new base defense element that will have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal.

Well, the further we got into development, the more we felt like we just had to add a player vs. player mode. We’re big fans of the multiplayer modes in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal and Ratchet: Deadlocked and got excited about the opportunity to bring back competitive play to the franchise. The result of our efforts is an intense, strategic and “Ratchet-y” experience that combines classic Ratchet & Clank mechanics with MOBA-style head-to-head action.

Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault

The Full Frontal Assault competitive mode will support 2-4 players and feature ranked and custom games. A match will consist of rounds that are divided into phases. First, there’s a Recon phase where you’ll capture nodes in the battlefield. Then, in the Squad phase, you’ll build your base defenses and minion squads. Finally, it’s time to get nasty. In the Assault phase you’ll annihilate your opponent by attacking their base. The game ends when one side has destroyed all the generators in the opponent’s base.

The game has really taken on a life of its own, and we can’t wait for you to experience it for yourself when Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault launches this fall. Of course, if you really can’t wait, just remember that the Ratchet & Clank Collection hits the U.S. on August 28th.

Stick to this space for all the latest Ratchet & Clank news this summer and fall as we continue to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our favorite Lombax and his diminutive robotic pal. You can also like Insomniac Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

PAGE 1 2

+ Satnamji on August 15th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Though I’m sure this is old news, I am glad to see Talwyn in the screen shots. Will she have the same kind of prominent role as she had in QFB? I missed her in the last two R&C games.

Shaun McCabe's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on August 15th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

She’s an MP skin

+ BlaqMagiq24 on August 15th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Will buy as soon as this drops on PSN. Any word on Ratchet Deadlocked HD for NA or EU? I know Japan is getting it.

+ Nynja on August 15th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

So how does “Cross Buy” work for those of us who want retail versions (hard media)? Is it a one package deal or a digital voucher?

I really hope it isn’t digital only or some sort of voucher for a digital copy.

+ PsychoSploosh69 on August 15th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

I’m really starting to like this Cross Play feature over the remote play feature which we don’t even have yet. Having 2 copies of the game for one price seems the better way to go. And who wouldn’t wanna play Ratchet And Clank on the go! I can’t wait for this! This is gonna rock! Can’t wait to see Ratchet on the beautiful OLED screen! Is there a rough release date yet?

+ Nynja on August 15th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Looks like my question was already asked…ah well.

@28 Darth-Krayt: Some of us don’t want to have to fork over more $ for the uber expensive memory cards, thus giving us limited storage. Having the option to use physical media is always desired … for me.

+ KGH on August 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

+ MAXIMO273 on August 15th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

I’m fan a R&C ,and its awesome it’s coming to both systems since i have both. Especially for one price. But, there’s just one thing…..

Come on guys if Sucker Punch can do it with Infamous there’s no reason it can’t be done with R&C. Hell there’s an old Wii game called Chicken Little: Ace in Action that for the most part played like R&C ,and used pointer controls very well. Ever since i played that i always longed for R&C with a similar control scheme.

Developers need to get over the stigma that Move support means disrupting gameplay by adding in some crazy waggle mini game ,or unnecessary motions. Just make it point ,and shoot with the controller.

Thank You i made my plea/rant.

+ legendkiller08 on August 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

Glad to see this post is not a complain fest like the last R&C: Frontal Assault article. That was just ridiculous…
Anyway, I am pleased with what I have seen thus far.

+ sekaniy on August 15th, 2012 at 12:13 pm said:

If you guys are real R&C fans what the big deal about the price?!?! Sheesh!! Just be happy we have another game. They said it will be around the price as Q4B.
Great news to add Vita support. Already waiting for HD collection!!!

+ sekaniy on August 15th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

@54 PS Move Heroes has Ratchet and Clank with Move support!

+ Lemondish on August 15th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

“…anyone who purchases Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3 via PlayStation Network will be able to download the PS Vita version of the game from PSN at no additional cost and vice versa.”

This is amazing. I love this stuff. A new Ratchet game normally has me interested, but this will be a day one purchase for me if only to show how much I support this decision. There’s tons of value here, and it really speaks volumes on how much support the Vita is getting. Not only are we getting these awesome games for the next few months, but we won’t ever feel like you have to make a tough decision on which system to buy for. Amazing choices here, and I absolutely support this.

+ rarfi on August 15th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Any patch planned for the HD collection? I don’thave fun paying trough Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal with all the glitches it has.

+ boomstickbhg on August 15th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

What does Full Cross Play support mean?

Is this finally a game where the long advertised, never actualized, remote play a game on the ps3 via the vita will work? Meaning can I put my ps3 on with the game running and control/play it from another place with the Vita?

Or is it just more of that lame, you can transfer the save file but that’s it, kind of thing?

+ krae_man on August 15th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

You should totally do what Gearbox did last year!

See you at the Panel James. Now time to think of the most nitpicky thing I can complain about:p

+ XFRod on August 15th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

@36 – (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)

+ cool_trainer on August 15th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Are the trophies shared between Vita and PS3? Or two separate?

Shaun McCabe's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on August 15th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Not sure yet, I know ya’ll are hoping for the double platinum

+ Squiggle55 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

thanks for the response, James. Glad to hear there is definitely a platinum. The major thing that kills the replayability of multiplayer games like this for me is when the community spirals downwards into a majority of rage quitters, who quit the game once they know they are going to lose. Having a visible stat that shows how often someone has quit a game would truly help.

+ idraw on August 15th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

Just curious, why is it up to Sony for the Collection to be on the Vita?

Shaun McCabe's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on August 15th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Because Insomniac doesn’t develop Vita games.

+ FearMonkey on August 15th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

James, thanks for reply. :)
Though, of course I’m getting the R&C HD Collection, I’ve already played those games a billion times. (slight exaggeration) :p
But I just ask/beg/plead for you guys to keep my request in mind when developing future R&C titles. Thanks. ^_^

+ Squiggle55 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Well, I guess it would only help if there is a lobby where we can choose whether we want to play against someone or not.

+ DebelloRecordfan on August 15th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

The game look awesome, hoping for a playstation store release of disruptor that would make my day!

+ SolduNuts on August 15th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

The cross buy program is the best promotion Sony has made yet. Games that are exactly the same on both consoles should always have this promotion. I like being able to play the game at home on the big screen and then being able to take it with me to work or school is awesome. When MLB The Show came out, Sony gave a discount if you bought both. I thought that was great, but would only really work on games that I absolutely had to have with me at all time. Offering the Vita version for free makes the purchase a lot easier. Hope to see this on more games in the future. Keep up the great work.

+ PlatinumAura on August 15th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

If it’s available on both systems for the price of one I’ll probably pick it up Day one. I also can’t wait for the Ratchet and Clank Collection!! I finally get to play those games!

Shaun McCabe's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on August 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Just a follow-up for anyone still reading, if you buy the game at retail in Europe you’ll get the Vita version to download. There’s a whole new system for this apparently, more details when we’re closer to launch. Regardless, cross-buy applies to retail AND digital.

+ saskamazon on August 15th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

this is fantastic news ! can hardly wait …. it will be good to get both versions & for a reasonable price …. I certainly consider whether the game offers both for 1 price …. Hustle Kings, Pinball Arcade, Foosball all gave the cross buy & it inclined me to the purchase …..

it looks as though Sony is offering the buying public reasons to jump onto the Vita platform …. quite looking fwd to the incorporation of the Vita to the PS+ program …. I vote for a Rayman Origins deal :-)

a lot of good news for Vita / PS3 owners …..

+ D-Squad3 on August 15th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

Wow I love these buy 1 get both deals.

+ tabreez on August 15th, 2012 at 1:37 pm said:

Will Nefarious be in the game?

+ The-fLASH-947 on August 15th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

will there be four player splitscreen versues

+ Zx_rexdude on August 15th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

When i heard it say about an enemy from the past i went crazy!!!!! I really want to know who it is!!!! Any hints please insomniac :)

+ lisatsunami on August 15th, 2012 at 2:37 pm said:

Cross play, cross buy?!!! Yeah!

+ MAXIMO273 on August 15th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

@57 have you played Playstation Move Heroes? that game was not a suitable substitute for a ratchet n’ clank move game.

+ Ravi2012 on August 15th, 2012 at 5:28 pm said:

OHHHH YEAAAAAAA!!! Love you guys @ insomniac, hands down one of the best out there :D my heart fell out out of my chest when you all announced FFA, so you can imagine what happened when i heard its for vita :)

+ Gadirok on August 15th, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

You know, MOBAs were never my thing. My friends basically tried to get me into League of Legends, I tried it for 2 months playing matches with them every wednesday night, and it was terribly boring.

However, Ratchet and clank has always been fun, I even enjoyed All-4-one!

I may have gotten my butt owned to me back in the online batlles of Size Matters, but I will make sure that doesn`t happen again.

+ luvtoseek on August 15th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

R & C is one of the best franchises of this generation. Thanks for the games, Insomniac!

+ freshprincepbg on August 15th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

I really hope this won’t be like A4O, Ratchet is still my favorite though!

+ freshprincepbg on August 15th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Oh man I thought that was Talwyn is the game, I love her!

+ Victoryismine52 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:22 pm said:

Awesome! now put it up on the PSN so I can preorder it already!

+ chowder_07 on August 16th, 2012 at 6:07 am said:

I just want to ask a question and please answer it.I want to buy a ps3(maybe next year) but I have a Vita,so I just want to know if I bought the vita version can I get the ps3 version for free and can I choose for a physical copy or digital copy?(I’m really running low on memory space in the vita)

+ etur0 on August 16th, 2012 at 7:24 am said:

that trailer was awesome

and I love the fact that you guys are here and answering all the questions that you can or allowed to answer

+ etur0 on August 16th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

@ chowder_07 they have already said it works only one way where you buy the ps3 version and get the vita version for free and the vita version you get for free is only the digital version not even sure there is going to be a physical version

+ boomstickbhg on August 16th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

No reply to explain exactly what Full Cross Play means, then I’m going to have to assume it’s yet another game that won’t be playable via the Vita.

Until you say otherwise, no games have been coming out with proper cross/remote play, so we’ll have to guess based on past games that it won’t be included for this either.

+ tabreez on August 16th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

Hey James, is Nefarious going to be in the game?

+ bdp985 on August 16th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

Is this gameplay more or less like All for One?

+ Cooljorman2 on August 16th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

exciting game!!!!!!!!!!

+ tabreez on August 18th, 2012 at 11:18 pm said:

The game has some of the weapons in all 4 one and some others from a crack in time and the camera will be same as a crack in time.

+ tabreez on August 18th, 2012 at 11:24 pm said:

Oh and Hover-boots are in the game.

+ tabreez on August 18th, 2012 at 11:26 pm said:

Forgot that Clank and Qwark are playable with same melee attacks from all 4 one.

+ oOTranduilOo on August 20th, 2012 at 5:08 am said:

Hello, im a big fan of the series, although i didnt like the All 4 One, i think it didnt fell like playing the good old style of R&C. Im looking forward on this one, it looks slightly better than the last one and i hope the multiplayer worth’s it. Im rly going to spend time playing multiplayer on R&C cant wait. :)

+ M7101992 on August 20th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

Can’t wait for this game!

Anyone know the price and release date?

+ KagePakkunX on August 20th, 2012 at 9:07 pm said:

Release window? Like really soon or later around Playstation All Stars?

I must buy the PS3 version to get the Vita version? Not the other way around?

PAGE 1 2