PS4-The Order

Dragon’s Crown for PS3, PS Vita Melting Faces on August 6th

John Hardin's Avatar + Posted by John Hardin on Apr 23, 2013 // PR Manager, ATLUS

Dragon’s Crown has had a long development process – especially for those of you who remember E3 2011 when Ignition first mentioned the game. But now ATLUS and Odin Sphere developer Vanillaware are putting a stake in the ground for August 6th, 2013. If you’re not familiar with Dragon’s Crown, it’s a 2D multiplayer action beat-em-up exclusive to the PS3 and PS Vita that features four-person co-op play, six character classes, skills that can be leveled up, and all the dungeon-exploring, orc-slapping, treasure-seeking action you can shake a magical staff at. If you’re not familiar with the date August 6th, please consult a calendar.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

One of the reasons development took so long is the painstaking detail that makes every character, background or combat animation worthy of the artistic vision of Vanillaware. The intricacies in the artwork are immediately noticeable on both the PS3 and PS Vita versions. Speaking of, we’re working right now on making sure that gamers can take their saved games with them on the Vita. So while Vita adventurers can’t party up with PlayStation dungeoneers, it doesn’t mean they have to stop leveling and looting if they have to leave the living room.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

The other thing that’s immediately noticeable about Dragon’s Crown are the fantastical player characters. The Amazon, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Sorceress and Wizard all exude extreme character designs to emphasize their powerfulness. The outlandish character design stands out from the hordes of goblins, orcs, myconids (evil, sentient mushrooms), and other dangerous creatures that populate the world of Hydeland. Oh, and in case you were wondering: yes, you can fight dragons in it.*

Aug. 6 will be here sooner than you think, so make sure to stay up to date with Dragon’s Crown on the official game website and right here on the PlayStation Blog.

*There will also be a crown in the game.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Craiji on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Day 1 for both versions, cross save rocks.

+ Gorvi on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

Any plans on making the game Cross Buy as well?

+ atlusprime on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

@Gorvi – right now, there’s no Cross-buy option unfortunately. :(

+ Onihalo on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

That’s one game I look forward to playing. God, I miss those good old days when side-scroller beat ‘em ups were everywhere.

+ StingrayX on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

Looks interesting.

+ TheGrimHeaper on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Great! Can’t wait. Just to be clear, there’s no cross-play, correct?

+ ExHaseo on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Finally, a solid date!
I’ll be picking it up on Vita for sure.

+ Shadowfox85 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Very excited to play this with my friends, but I have a question here. When you said “So while Vita adventurers can’t party up with PlayStation dungeoneers” are you saying the Vita version can’t play online with friends on PSN? Or maybe I just misunderstood and just meant playing solo since you are most likely to not have a connection. Well if you can play with your PSN friends online, is it cross play where if I get the Vita version, I can play with people with the PS3 version? And is there ad-hoc mode for local 4 player action? Sorry for all those questions, just that the multiplayer part of this is whats important for me so I know which version to get.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

To clarify, Vita can play online only with Vitas, PS3s only with PS3s.

Yep, Vita has ad-hoc multiplayer.

+ cat9966 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

“painstaking detail that makes every character, background or combat animation worthy of the artistic vision of Vanillaware” Apparently that vision includes includes women with huge breasts that look like they are struggling to break of what little covering they have. I’m not one to notice of this kind of stuff, but the trailer mostly looks like the game blazes new trails in the ever popular gaming genre of look-at-these-girls-racks, making this game rather difficult to take seriously.

+ Hand-of-Vecna on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

Thanks for bringing this!

How about Grand Knights History next?

+ MoonLance on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

Didn’t know it would also be released on the PS3 platform as well…that’s a pleasant surprise.

Can’t wait for their release!

+ XeahuleXolic on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

How much cuz I will buy it!!!!!!!!

+ atlusprime on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

@TheGrimHeaper – correct. There’s no cross-platform play between PS3 and Vita users. But PS3 supports local and online multiplayer, Vita supports online and ad hoc multiplayer.

+ atlusprime on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

@XeahuleXolic – $49.99 PS3 and $39.99 Vita :D

+ fatjoe400 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

Definitely grabbing this for my Vita

+ XeahuleXolic on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Thanks I love Atlus Games!! This is going on my PS Vita \m/

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

\m/ very metal \m/

+ atlusprime on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

@ExHaseo – definitely been a long time coming, but it’s awesome that we have a delivery date in sight. The producers let me play a little bit of the Vita version…it’s every bit as stunning as the PS3 version.

+ xClayMeow on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

Is there going to be a demo? I don’t buy $40 Vita games on a whim – I need to be able to try it first and ensure it’s something I’d enjoy.

Also, any idea whether there will be a pre-order and/or week one PS+ discount?

On a separate note, it’s better if you actually reply to user comments because then it shows up in RED, letting us easily know when you post/reply.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Thanks – got it sorted now!

Demo? unfortunately we don’t have one planned at this stage.

There won’t be discounts for pre-orders, but we’ll have details on pre-order bonuses soon :)

+ atlusprime on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

@OniHalo – Dragon’s Crown definitely scratches the Golden Axe/Streets of Rage/Double Dragon beat-em-up itch.

+ IzoGray on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

That price tag is laughable. I thought this was a $15-20 game.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

We’ll have a lot more info on it in the coming months – the game has a lot more depth than its 16-bit spiritual brethren. It looks and plays better than a $15-20 game.

+ Rotsujin on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Ugh, why did it have to be Atlus. Adding to import list.

+ Folklore_Legendz on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

was there a reason to not included cross play, it seems like it could work. so why is possible to transfer your save date from the ps3 to your vita, but you can’t play with your vita co-op. it’s very lazy to say the least, though i’m still gonna buy it. but only on for my vita and not both, it’s a shame really.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

Unfortunately it’s not as simple as just ticking an “Enable Crossplay” box and having it in the game, or else we totally would have. There were some technical barriers on the dev side that made cross-play impossible.

Cross-save is still viable.

+ KazeEternal on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

Ya the prices are a bit absurd. Don’t suppose we can get a Cross Buy here atlas? It has helped with a few purchases of Sony’s published products with me and it would certainly help here. A discount at the very least or a mail in rebate if you buy the Vita and PS3 versions at the same time.

Disappointing that Vita and PS3 can’t play together, but can vita play with vita? May take a chance on getting my vita friends on board if thats the case.

Also can multiple Vita owners bring their characters into the PS3 version? It’s broken that individual user accounts are rarely taken into account on PS3, it would be awesome if my Character was my own and I could move it between game sessions with friends with different story progressions.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

Definitely – Vita can play with Vita. Ad hoc or online multiplayer :)

But no cross-buy unfortunately.

In regards to the multiple characters on the PS3 version, are you asking if multiple Vita accounts can bring their characters into the same PlayStation 3 for local multiplayer? If so, the producers haven’t actually tried that, but since the save account is bound to one PS profile, they’re pretty sure it’s impossible.

+ passivefamiliar on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

atlus. related to midus right? seems like anything they touch is gold…i’ll buy this.

as a man, i have to. did you see the sorceress? but really, whats up with the way tits are anymore? im not complaining, but….it sets a standard that nothing short of a one in a million girl or surgery can reach. poor teens these days are always going to be let down.

fingers crossed for slow-mo magic. ^.-

+ Thiagots85 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

wow…nice boo..er, game

can’t wait to play it

+ Zamorian79 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

It really looks beautiful. It’s one of my most anticipated games. I used to love this genre and spent hours with D&D Tower of Doom and D&D Shadow over Mystara. Will buy on day one! It’s a shame about the lack of cross-buy. I want both versions but I’m having second thoughts about paying 90 bucks for the game.

+ rafael_martines on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

Mr. John Hardin, will the game keep the Japanese Audio? Like you guys did with The King of Fighters XIII for example? Because, if yes! This will be amazing *___*

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

I thought I knew the answer to this, but then I heard something different from the production team. Long story short: stay tuned ;)

+ Aces73High on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

I am sooooo looking forward to this (and Muramasa Rebirth), but there’s STILL no word on a release (for either game) for us Vita gamers in Europe!!?? John, can you offer any solace for a concerned Brit?

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

I can’t, but rest assured that as soon as we have ANY details on it, you’ll hear about them right here on the PS Blog :)

+ DaMann22 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

Ill gladly double dip if the game has separate trophy list. PLEASE MAKE THAT HAPPEN!

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:12 pm said:

If I could make that happen for you, I would. For Christmas.

But I can’t, and the producers tell me that there’s not a separate trophy list. Sorry bro. :(

+ GABRIEL-ODIN on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS~

:))

+ JeffsonP_US on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

I’ll get if for PS Vita for sure!
Please, make a PS Store pre-order. I get all my games from the Store, and this will be no different.
I’m still sad about we don’t have a Soul Sacrifice pre-order. =(

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:31 am said:

Duly noted!

+ Go_Buddie_Go on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

I have been waiting for so long to see more info on this game! Now we have a release date confirmed.

Four player co-op, in a 2-D sidescrolling, action/rpg… Plus loot! Yay! Price point doesn’t bother me one bit, just can’t wait to finally play it! D:

+ thechrono33 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

Day one buy for me, man thats some nice detail you all put in to it!!!

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

Vanillaware is in a league of their own. The game’s graphics are incredible.

+ promethean on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

It is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay twice for the same exact game when it is released for both PS3 & Vita, especially with cross-save. You’ve heard of rage-quit? These type of things (along with other PSN issues like prices grossly inflated over retail) are the things that cause me to rage-boycott certain games, at least until they go on sale so it doesn’t feel like I’m getting screwed so much.

+ PuppetShoJustice on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

Will the JP voice acting be in-tact? If it isn’t, I’ll just import it.

I hope you guys at Atlus understand some of us really want the dual audio to exist. Please don’t scrap the JP voice track.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

See above – my response to Rafael_martines

+ Timethriller on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Any date for EU? Or will it be handled by another publisher over here and given a later release like persona 4 golden?

+ Mando44646 on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

why are all major Vita releases in Fall? We have to wait months for anything new as far as retail releases goes :(

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

If we could release it any sooner, we would! :D

Also, technically, Aug. 6 is summer. :P

+ RoyBM on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Been watching this one since I got my Vita last August.
Reminds me of the old D&D Arcade games and loved playing those.

A bit disappointing there is not Cross-Play though…. they really need to add this feature and it would be a killer hit!

+ Godchild1020 on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

If anyone that has played a game from Atlus or Vanillaware, you know you are getting a quality title. I can’t this game and Muramasa Rebirth.

Keep the quality title coming Atlus and Vanillaware.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

This guy knows what’s up. :D

+ xClayMeow on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

It’s funny how people feel ENTITLED to Cross-Buy for all cross-platform games. Cross-Buy is an added bonus, it’s not the norm. Be grateful that such a thing even exists to begin with. Next you’ll want to be able to buy a game and receive PS3, 360, and PC versions all for one low cost.

+ infamousXX87XX on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

LOL at the people crying about the price. Obviously, some of you guys have never played Odin Sphere. Dragon’s Crown is a spiritual successor to Odin Sphere and these games are not your typical $20 games. I bought Odin Sphere on day 1 for $50 on PS2 and it was definitely worth it.

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

*fistbump*

+ Godchild1020 on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

I can’t *wait* for this game and Muramasa Rebirth.

Hopefully a bundle for a set price at the time of release on the PSN?

+ ShinobiMura on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

Already have both versions preordered! Since there is no multiplayer between PS3 and Vita, but there is data transfer and PS3 local multiplayer, can multiple PSVita players transfer their data to a PS3 to all do local multiplayer with their own data?

+ ShinobiMura on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

If there will be a preorder bonus, I hope Amazon will be getting it and it won’t be a GameStop exclusive.

+ boxmyth on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

Thank Lord Pixel for Vanillaware’s perseverance in keeping 2D alive. I will always be a 2D gamer, come PS4 or PS64.

+ Kchow23 on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

No Cross buy? :\

+ inesbrasil on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

The oversexualization and bizarre proportions of the Amazon and Sorceress are really throwing me off. The Dwarf also looks ridiculous. I was really trying to let it go, because it looks like it’s gonna be a wicked game, but after Kamitani’s response to one of the critics, I don’t really know anymore.

+ PhoenixDowny on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

This game looks epic! I am truly impressed with the beautiful visuals! I simply think that the nudity and suggestive voluptuousness could certainly be toned down. I’m definitely hopeful that there is going to be some great pre-order bonuses as typically there are for JRPG’s such as art books and posters. I’m going to go and reserve this game ASAP at GameStop although I am disappointed at the lack of CrossBuy.

In a world overrun with FPS games it’s always a blessing to see titles like Dragon’s Crown and Grand Knights History.

+ Phoenix_Law on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ cosmis_chaos on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

‘The price of this game is laughable’. The pure ignorance of people on this blog boggles my mind. .Games like Muramasa Rebirth and Odin Sphere have more depth and longevity then most game these days and you want to say that this isn’t worth the price. Atlus makes some of the best fantasy games around and if some of the idiots here actually played any of them you wouldn’t be talking such nonsense. I have never seen a bunch of ill mannered, ignorant gamers. You have no idea what depth the game has and you are already trying to dictate the price and tell them it;s not worth it? I mean if you are going to execute your right to an opinion try to not to say things that make sense

+ John Hardin on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

Thanks for the love, but don’t fault people for not knowing about ATLUS’ greatness :). They’ll learn in time…

PAGE 1 2 3