Tearaway Unfolded

Apr 23

Dragon’s Crown for PS3, PS Vita Melting Faces on August 6th

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by John Hardin on Apr 23, 2013 // PR Manager, ATLUS

Dragon’s Crown has had a long development process – especially for those of you who remember E3 2011 when Ignition first mentioned the game. But now ATLUS and Odin Sphere developer Vanillaware are putting a stake in the ground for August 6th, 2013. If you’re not familiar with Dragon’s Crown, it’s a 2D multiplayer action beat-em-up exclusive to the PS3 and PS Vita that features four-person co-op play, six character classes, skills that can be leveled up, and all the dungeon-exploring, orc-slapping, treasure-seeking action you can shake a magical staff at. If you’re not familiar with the date August 6th, please consult a calendar.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

One of the reasons development took so long is the painstaking detail that makes every character, background or combat animation worthy of the artistic vision of Vanillaware. The intricacies in the artwork are immediately noticeable on both the PS3 and PS Vita versions. Speaking of, we’re working right now on making sure that gamers can take their saved games with them on the Vita. So while Vita adventurers can’t party up with PlayStation dungeoneers, it doesn’t mean they have to stop leveling and looting if they have to leave the living room.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

The other thing that’s immediately noticeable about Dragon’s Crown are the fantastical player characters. The Amazon, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Sorceress and Wizard all exude extreme character designs to emphasize their powerfulness. The outlandish character design stands out from the hordes of goblins, orcs, myconids (evil, sentient mushrooms), and other dangerous creatures that populate the world of Hydeland. Oh, and in case you were wondering: yes, you can fight dragons in it.*

Aug. 6 will be here sooner than you think, so make sure to stay up to date with Dragon’s Crown on the official game website and right here on the PlayStation Blog.

*There will also be a crown in the game.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ PhoenixDowny on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:35 pm said:

I just wanted to chime in and also give my praise for Persona4Golden. I think it’s a truly beautiful game and I’m already excited for the new PS Vita title Mind Zero which hails from the makers of P4G.

I’ve always admired and continue to adore Vanillaware and Atlus. The artwork and video game designs of Muramasa, Grand Knights History, Dragon’s Crown and Mind Zero show that 2D games are still relevant and it’s sad to see some people decrying these games as cheap. It is my prayer and hope that both Mind Zero and Grand Knights History will be released in Europe and North America on the the PS Vita.

+ tusunami on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:40 pm said:

Yeah another excellent game for PS Vita!!!!!! there’s no cross buy awe well i’ll get the PS Vita version definitely.

+ PrinceofXIII on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:11 pm said:

im definitely John Hardin for the responses regarding the JPN audio.

knowing Vanillaware(which all of their games are dual audio one way another) i think it’s safe to assume it’s gonna be the same here as well.

for me all i ask is can you please put a limited edition run?

i already plan on cancelling my vita version(after just cancelling the PS3 a few days ago) and revert back to PS3 since the game is gorgeous as hell.

if you put a limited edition run, i’ll buy both copies in LE Day 1!!!!!

thanks again for the responses, really appreciate it!

+ Berae on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:57 pm said:

Hmmm reminds me a lot of Dungeons and dragons which was great at that time. Its a 60$ game or a PSN title? The multiplayer is online and offline?

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 4:55 pm said:

Most of these answered above, but it’s $49.99 for PS3, and will have online AND local multiplayer.

+ Mr_Savage11 on April 23rd, 2013 at 8:29 pm said:

August is gonna seem like forever…….

+ Nooterman on April 23rd, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

I really like Kamitani’s attitude towards his work, it’s something I really respect.

Will they be including those three dwarves he showed Kotaku as DLC?(lol)

Actually will there by any sort of DLC characters? Would be wonderful to see what other characters they could add.

Also, all this non-news about Persona 5 is making me worried that it’s not going to be for PlayStation consoles. Will you say something to sooth my worried soul?

+ AriesWarlock on April 23rd, 2013 at 8:45 pm said:

@John Hardin

If Atlus truly loves their fans, then can they please give us a Persona collection with HD remastered P3 fes and P4? :)

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

That’s going on a post-it note.

(see reply to #76)

+ clupula668 on April 23rd, 2013 at 9:44 pm said:

The PS3 version is a definite must-buy for me. Although, a few points…

1) I do think, for people who are wondering whether a 2D game is worth the price, a demo is an absolute must-have. People who haven’t played Odin Sphere are going to be hard to sway if they can’t get a taste of the game beforehand. Might want to do that.
2) Please let there be either an English dub or dual-audio. I really get annoyed at European looking/influenced characters speaking Japanese. Muramasa should be in Japanese, since it takes place in Japan. This is more medieval and needs English, imo.
3) I really wish there were plans to bring Persona 4 Golden to PS3. Not all of us like to play portables and I’d pay a full new-release prices to play that on my big ol’ HDTV.

Just some thoughts, while you’re putting post-its on people’s monitors.

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm said:

I have four questions, please.

1) Are you planning a sequel for this game? Because it deserves TONS of sequels.

2) Will you, please, bring it to Europe?

3) Will Persona 5 be on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, please? Can you share some news about the game or you can’t?

4) Do you plan on making a sequel for Catherine? Because it is awesome.

Thank you very much.

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

1) Agreed, but it will depend on a number of things once august rolls around

2) I don't have any details on what's going to happen with EU, but we're not ignoring it.

4) There's nothing planned, and I don't think the game's endings set it up for any kind of sequel (maybe it'd have to be a prequel or spirtual successor kind of thing?) but yeah, it's awesome and totally would be cool.

+ ksallday on April 24th, 2013 at 7:05 am said:

People are complaining about price!? Do people not know the amazing quality of games Vanillaware has made? Not to mention the stellar games Atlus has always been a part of. I would gladly pay 60 bucks for this game. August 6th can’t come any sooner. Day 1!

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

They’ll learn in time. Thanks for your support! *fistbump*

+ TrueLordX on April 24th, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

Great news, so glad to finally hear a firm release date. Been waiting for this title forever….definitely picking it up.

+ ChazzyChazX on April 24th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

oh man ~ August 6th ?! that’s long wait ~~~
and I want KOF 13 on my Vita ~~~~~~~! ( o_O ||| )

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

“and I want KOF 13 on my Vita”

(see #76)

+ Alucard-XII on April 24th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Dear Atlus,

PLEASE localize Grand Knight History. You are our only hope.

Thank you for Dragon Crown. I will certainly buy it on launch.

+ Armored_Oso66 on April 24th, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

I am very interested in playing this game especially since i haven’t stop playing P4G or P3P and it seems like a good change in pace

Plus its Atlus and they haven’t disappointed me yet

Now the question remains is PS3 or Vita?

John Hardin's Avatar

+ John Hardin on April 24th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

That’s a difficult choice. I’m personally more of living room gamer, but I had Dragon’s Crown on a test Vita for a recent business trip. Couldn’t put it down, length of the plane ride wasn’t even noticeable. (other than the federally mandated periods where electronic devices MUST be shut off, naturally)

+ Fusion13 on April 24th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Yep another girl with armor…. what’s with that, the higher the level the less the clothes… erm

Anyways, looks good. I love the art.

+ ltn2150 on April 24th, 2013 at 12:38 pm said:

Could’n’t u make a patch to enable cross-play? i mean since there is gonna be dlc the team could make it happen just at a later date

PAGE 1 2 3