PS4-Infamous

Hands-on with Tearaway: Media Molecule’s New Adventure

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on May 29, 2013 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

Tearaway on PS Vita

Media Molecule have proven themselves the masters of cuteness and community creativity, constructing a passionate fanbase worldwide through the madly successful LittleBigPlanet series. But what happens when the house that built a Planet sets out to create something completely new?

Maybe I should rephrase that. Their new project, Tearaway, isn’t completely outside the studio’s comfort zone. It’s still adorable, inventive, and a true showcase of its platform’s capabilities. Built with PS Vita in mind, Tearaway makes impressive (but not excessive!) use of the integrated camera and rear touchpad to craft a more tactile and immersive world.

Tearaway on PS Vita

Tearaway for PS Vita

Case in point: You’ll occasionally come across transparent surfaces marked with PlayStation symbols, an indication that you can interact with that area via PS Vita’s rear touchpad. Sometimes this means tapping on the back of your Vita to beat a drum, which will launch iota or atoi (your fearless paper protagonists) far into the air above. Other times, it means poking your finger straight into the game to protect your companion from incoming enemies, or to move an object that’s blocking their way.

At one point, I traced along Vita’s touch screen to cut a crown out of construction paper for a rather excitable gopher, who then demanded an impromptu photo shoot. I selected from various backdrops, including one created from the rear camera in real time, then moved the system around to get the angle just right before snapping the shot for the little guy.

Camaraderie permeates the game. Every so often, iota or atoi will look to the sky to see your face (captured by the system’s front-facing camera) beaming down. This, coupled with your direct physical influence on many of the game’s puzzles, fosters a sense of partnership between the player and the messenger. This drives home the notion that instead of you just controlling the character on screen, you and your papercraft partner are in this together.

Tearaway on PS Vita

Aesthetically, Tearaway oozes Media Molecule. The world feels vibrant and animated, despite the fact that it’s seemingly comprised of real paper structures. Bridges fold and unfold at timed intervals, rocks flex and crease when you stand on them, and wind gusts crinkle plants and grass in a Burton-esque style.

Complementing this whimsical world is a charming, folk-tinged musical score that further invigorates an already breathing environment. I only heard a handful of songs during my play session, but I’m already making room in my head for the game’s recently announced soundtrack (Protip: pre-order to snag the soundtrack for free).

Tearaway, out this October, will be one that keeps people talking. Not just because it’s endearing and adorable, or even because it’s a solid adventure-platformer bursting with creativity, but because it proves that Media Molecule aren’t a one-trick pony. Step aside Sackboy — it’s time for iota and atoi to shine.

+ UndreyVITA on May 29th, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

My most anticipated Vita game! Can’t wait!

Love Media Molecule.

And it’s gonna be Iota first, and then on my second playthrough Atoi.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on May 29th, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

I think I’m actually going to play atoi first — she’s just too freakin’ adorable!

+ mh637099 on May 29th, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

GO MM!!! :D

+ h_pacheco on May 29th, 2013 at 6:25 am said:

beautiful concecpt art.
looking forward to play it

+ remanutd5 on May 29th, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary are so far my 2 most anticipated vita games!!! and Sly Cooper Thieves in Time is so far my psvita GOTY but hey i still havent played Tearaway and Kizzy Mercs.

less than 2 weeks to E3, time to deliver vita news sony, time to make the vita more appealing, can i make some suggestions?

Price drop on memory cards? system price drop? new AAA exclusive titles ala God of War, Heavenly Sword, MediEvil, Syphon Filter, Gran Turismo, new IPs.

a similar game to Warhawk or the great Warhawk on the vita would be beyond EPIC, anyways let the news begin.

+ Loco4FourLoko on May 29th, 2013 at 6:44 am said:

@4 I love the medievil suggestion! Brings me back to my childhood on ps1

+ samthetiger4376 on May 29th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

The wait for this game is killing me. Every time i see something new about this game it just makes it look so much better.

+ xClayMeow on May 29th, 2013 at 7:39 am said:

Vita GotY!

I’m sure some outlets will choose KZ:M, but it’s not often we get something this unique and creative. Really looking forward to it.

And MediaMolecule, if you’re listening, please release the Paper Engine for PC. Saw it in action at GDC, and I really want to get my hands on it!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ James Spafford on May 29th, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

We’re listening, but sadly the paper engine editor is just for us to make the game with, and not something we will release, sorry! There are lots of fun creative challenges in the game though. :)

+ Gadirok on May 29th, 2013 at 7:53 am said:

I gave weird looks when I first noticed the thumbnail on the home page :S

Looking good though MM.

+ sprice25 on May 29th, 2013 at 7:55 am said:

Please fix the download issue for Pinball Arcade for PS+ members on PS3/Vita. It still won’t download.

+ TwinDad on May 29th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

I will play this and I’m sure enjoy it. But the back touch has to be the worst invention ever on a handheld. I either activate it on my normal grip, or I have to take my fingers off the buttons and sticks to use it, for example look at the photo.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on May 29th, 2013 at 10:02 am said:

The implementation actually feels very natural in Tearaway. Give it a shot when the game comes out and see what you think.

+ Bicgoozgetten-69 on May 29th, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

The PS Vita is so initiative Im glad for games like this.

Sent from my PS Vita System.

+ Gadirok on May 29th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

@Sprice25: It worked for me when I downloaded it last night. I was playing that game last night. Pretty swell game.

+ hevela on May 29th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

I bought my vita just for this game!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on May 29th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

Tearaway, Muramasa Rebirth & Divekick. My Vita is ready!

+ beef_child on May 29th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Although I’m looking forward to playing Beyond and LoU, my backlog is preventing day 1′s for them.

THIS, however is going to be gotten post haste, day 1 or before, break into GS the night before, if I have to (I’ll leave the pesos)!!

DAMN THE BACKLOG!!!

+ AwRy108 on May 29th, 2013 at 8:57 am said:

Looks glorious, can’t wait!

Why are the Vita Memory Cards still so grossly over-priced?

+ xClayMeow on May 29th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Awe alright. Thanks for the reply.

Don’t worry, I’ll be buying Tearaway regardless. The only question is whether I pre-order or wait for week one digital.

+ SHeeP_11 on May 29th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

Man! I really cant wait for this! I wish it could be out nao!!

+ xFuzylilManPeach on May 29th, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

Cant wait!! :] ive been very excited for this for a while

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 29th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

I’m really liking the use of the vita-features in the game (hopefully I’m not the only one). Frobisher Says has some of my favorite, but I think this may be able to stack up

+ Ryuhza on May 29th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

Something occurred to me, and apologies if you’ve answered this before, but… there will be different skin-tones available for the fingers, right? It’d be a little off-putting to be dark-skinned, but have really white fingers appearing in the game.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on May 29th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

Yep, at the very beginning of the bit I played it asked me what color was closest to my skin tone and gave me a few options to choose from.

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 29th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

@Ryuhza Yeah I remember someone asking this question before. I was wondering the same.

+ DRAQ-520 on May 29th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

My most awaited Vita title of the year, it looks so unique and charming!! any chance of Derrick The Deathfin making a cameo?
BTW I’m using Atoi since she is way too adorable.

+ LloydDroid12 on May 29th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

I’m pre-ordering as soon as I possibly can!
This game cant come soon enough. :)

+ bestscreenname on May 29th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game. I’m looking forward to this more than any other game for some reason :)

+ terrencec06 on May 29th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

I have high hopes for this game. MM plz dont let me down. Love the creativity.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ James Spafford on May 30th, 2013 at 2:52 am said:

We’ll try :)

+ Curtisio on May 29th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

This game is so different than LBP. Alas, probably too early to say, but will there be a demo?

None the less, I hope billions are sold and you become rich!!

+ cat9966 on May 29th, 2013 at 12:38 pm said:

This is by far the VITA game I’m most excited about. The back touch pad of the VITA has been barely used. It is very comfortable to single tap on it like in VITA’s browser. I wish all VITA games would at least use it to advance text in addition to the X button.

+ Carl-G on May 29th, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

atoi is CUTE :D + If they are still making DLC for ‘PS All-stars BR’ i think he would be cool in that game ;)

+ Elvick_ on May 29th, 2013 at 1:13 pm said:

I want it now. ):

+ Elvick_ on May 29th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

@10: I disagree completely. And, if you’re holding your Vita like that picture, you’re doing it wrong. They just do that so you know how it works. Taking a picture of someone holding it normally, and putting their fingers on the back of it wouldn’t showcase the feature very well. Thus, the picture.

Maybe you have really small hands or something, but I don’t have large hands. So…

+ rmuvita12 on May 29th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

Best use of the rear touch pad.

+ EggySong85 on May 29th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

Will there be an online pass? I bought little big planet vita new in Japan and couldn’t activate it because my vita’s account is set to US. I know I can factory reset the system to my Japanese account, but that is such a hassle that it’s not really worth it.

+ dragoonlegend13 on May 29th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

Sooooo….The free Soul Sacrifice dlc got an entire write up on the EU blog….but all we get is one sentence “for you Soul Sacrifice fans free dlc available today” WOW

+ CernaML on May 29th, 2013 at 3:42 pm said:

Quick off topic question – Will there be an event held to give Playstation fans a chance to attend this year’s E3 like the last few years? I’ve gone to these events for three years now and would love to do it again this year!

+ dorkgeniuz21 on May 29th, 2013 at 4:26 pm said:

Still pushing for Iota for Ps Allstars…….

+ Elvick_ on May 29th, 2013 at 5:47 pm said:

@33: 99% sure there’s no online at all, so there wouldn’t’ be.

+ ceramicsaturn on May 29th, 2013 at 6:32 pm said:

Been loving my new Vita. Can’t wait to add this to my gaming library.

+ RoII_chan on May 29th, 2013 at 7:01 pm said:

Are we gonna get a digital pre-order bonuses?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ James Spafford on May 30th, 2013 at 2:53 am said:

Yes – if you buy the game on the psn store then you’ll get the digital pre-order items. I imagine this will be time limited, so best to buy it day one!

+ ishralene09 on May 29th, 2013 at 8:07 pm said:

iota and atoi sounds like C++ functions, but anyways awesome stuff! I’m excited to see that game later this year.

+ YorlecmNwahs on May 29th, 2013 at 8:50 pm said:

Go to Google

Search “Let’s Get FlatOut Head On PS Vita Compatible”

Click on the first result.

Sign the petition please.

+ Tchanku on May 29th, 2013 at 8:50 pm said:

Been waiting for this one!

+ realgone79 on May 29th, 2013 at 10:45 pm said:

Looks awesome, I love the endlessly inventive level design in MM’s Little Big Planet 1+2, my only criticism is the slightly “floaty” jumping- I wish sackboy had a little more heft. On an unrelated note I just wanted to extend my thanks to all the admins here; you guys certainly try to engage the bloggers and you’re always super nice.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ James Spafford on May 30th, 2013 at 2:56 am said:

LBP was a physics based platformer so sackboy’s jump was tied to that, and that made it seem a bit floaty to some people. Tearaway isn’t physics based so the jumping can be tailored to whatever we like this time :)

+ Miami_13 on May 30th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

Really can’t wait for this game! Looks great!

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 30th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

Haha I just noticed, I don’t know if it was an intended pun or not but “Hands on” is an appropriate choice of words for this article.

+ Pikmologist on May 30th, 2013 at 7:41 pm said:

Day 1 buy for me! The Vita needs more must haves like this.

+ cowmamba on May 31st, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

Super excited for Tearaway, just wish we didn’t have to wait until October, haha!

+ lds337 on June 5th, 2013 at 6:00 am said:

This game looks awesome. Can’t wait for its release

+ DelicaGunz on June 8th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

This is why I bought my PSVita and I know MM won’t disappoint!! I can’t wait!