PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

How to Win at Surge Deluxe on PS Vita

Dave Gabriel's Avatar + Posted by Dave Gabriel on Feb 05, 2014 // FuturLab

Hi everyone! Dave from FuturLab here to remind you that Surge Deluxe launched yesterday, exclusively for PS Vita, for the stupendously good price of $4.99! If you missed it last week, here’s the launch trailer.

I’m also here to stock you up on some awesome tips for getting higher up on the various leaderboards. If you want to read even more info, check out last week’s blog post.

AWESOME TIPS

1) It’s always better to vent…

Always Better To Vent

Venting makes the corresponding color blocks worth more points. For example, if you’re left with a bunch of purple blocks ready for clearance, but some of them are blocking the purple vents, it’s worth sacrificing those blocks to make the vents available, as triggering two purple vents will make your purple blocks worth a lot more points.

You’ll know you’ve got it right when all your blocks are shaking wildly with excitement before you unleash the clearance!

2) Leave the star blocks until the clearance!

Star blocks are worth double points, so chip away all the other blocks in a level to leave as many star blocks for the clearance as possible. If you can get some multipliers in there too, good times!

3) Stack up combiners (the question mark blocks).

Stack Combiners Together

Chaining a combiner block with a normal block uses it up immediately, but if you chain combiners together (or with multipliers) without any normal blocks in the chain, they’ll stack together for use later on!

They also stack at the location of the last block in the chain, so think about which blocks you want to clear out of the way before chaining them together. For example, if the star color is purple, you’ll want to clear the purple vent as soon as possible, so if a combiner is blocking the purple vent, you can move it away by stacking it with another elsewhere on the board. Cunning!

4) Use Frenzy blocks wisely.

Frenzy blocks are your ticket to enormous clearance bonuses.

If you’d like to know more about Surge Deluxe, please check out the web page here.

And follow @FuturLab and @FuturLabQuality on Twitter! We’d love to hear what you think about Surge Deluxe, the only way we can know for sure that we’re heading in the right direction is if you tell us — so please get in touch!

Thanks for reading, hope to see you on the leaderboards.

+ Groenner on February 5th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

Awesome

Dave Gabriel's Avatar

+ James Marsden on February 5th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Hey folks,

We’re delighted that Surge Deluxe is getting tremendous reviews already, check it out:

If you have any questions, let us know, we’re both here =)

Cheers,
James @FuturLab

+ Gorvi on February 5th, 2014 at 8:08 am said:

I need to remember to pick this up at some point, but my Vita backlog has gotten way out of hand. Looks great, though. :)

Dave Gabriel's Avatar

+ James Marsden on February 5th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

It’s awesome on the toilet. That is a quote.

+ Gorvi on February 5th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Oh, I bet it is! ;) I’ll probably grab it once I finish Ys: Memories of Celceta, that game has owned me the past few weeks.

+ LilRican on February 5th, 2014 at 8:49 am said:

What is this game about? Because it looks cool with all the lights. I haven’t even heard of this till now since I haven seen it on ign or other sites.

+ djsaiyan on February 5th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

Yeah alright, you’ve sold me.

Hey wait……James Marsden?

CYCLOPS!? IS THAT YOU!?

Dave Gabriel's Avatar

+ James Marsden on February 5th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Bzzzzzzzzztttcchhhh

+ Felldoh23 on February 5th, 2014 at 9:39 am said:

Looks like a great game and only $4.99, I’ll be sure to pick it up! Any news on when we can expect Velocity 2X? I really enjoyed Velocity Ultra on my Vita and got the platinum (Perfecting the last level took a good amount of time :P).

+ Doomburrito7 on February 5th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

The game is amazing! I’ve never seen time fly so fast before. (Two hours of my morning…gone!)

These tips are great, because I feel like a lot of mechanics weren’t explained. I had no idea you could save multiplier blocks for later by not including colors!

Any chance of more tips, or even a more fleshed out tutorial/blog post?

Dave Gabriel's Avatar

+ James Marsden on February 5th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Read the instructions ;)

+ Doomburrito7 on February 5th, 2014 at 2:38 pm said:

Here’s another guide using some of the tips here, plus some more help and hints, including a way to get the 12,000,000 points trophy fairly easily. (The solution was hidden in the trailer this whole time!)

+ Sevyne on February 5th, 2014 at 4:06 pm said:

With those colors on dat OLED, I think everyone’s eyes are the real winner here.

+ IXxHIJACKERxXI on February 5th, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

80028ED6 code pls fix

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 5th, 2014 at 5:49 pm said:

This is a brilliant, addicting game… as is always the case with FuturLab. I’ve been loving it.

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 5th, 2014 at 6:19 pm said:

@ Sevyne

It is indeed a gorgeous game, but you know what’s most impressive about it? How responsive everything is to the touch of your finger. Of course that could just be the Vita being awesome, as it is, but clearly the game is very well made too. Highly polished, fantastic work.

+ Sevyne on February 5th, 2014 at 7:19 pm said:

@PrimerIncognito

FuturLab is quickly becoming pushing into the ranks of some of my favorite devs for the Vita. Always quality work.

+ Sevyne on February 5th, 2014 at 7:20 pm said:

“becoming pushing”….Man, total English fail on my part. Give me an edit button!

+ genius527 on February 6th, 2014 at 2:51 pm said:

What!!! what the heck win what if you win this game!!! P.S. even though i got a “PSVITA”, which of any of you gamers care if i got one!!!