Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Feb 19

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace Launches on PS3, Vita April 1st

Ryan Graff's Avatar Posted by Ryan Graff on Feb 19, 2014 // Localization, XSEED Games

As I write this, we’re putting the finishing touches on Ragnarok Odyssey ACE, a revised and expanded version of the original Ragnarok Odyssey set to launch on April 1st on PS3 and PS Vita. Now that we’re just about done, we can go into more detail about what’s in the game, and what newcomers and returning Ragnarok Odyssey veterans can expect.

Initially designed for play on the go, Ragnarok Odyssey gets players into the action as fast as possible, either solo or with up to three companions. Players complete a variety of missions in a Norse-themed wildland, collecting treasures, components and ingredients along the way. In between missions, players can roam their home base – a fortress on the edge of the civilized world – and assemble their loot into new upgrades and abilities. The game’s highlights are its battles against enormous bosses, in which players use their gravity-defying powers to fly circles around the giants and take them apart piece by piece.

ACE takes the original Odyssey’s core gameplay and expands on it dramatically. The first chapter alone introduces a buffet of new features, and the game’s former ending is now its midpoint. The first new features are right there in the character creation screen, which now offers even more options for customization (including eight brand-new voices, four each for male and female). For solo players, ACE offers a dozen elite AI mercenaries, any two of whom the player can recruit for a given mission (and one of whom happens to sound a lot like me). For multiplayer, each class has several new job-specific powers, called ACE Skills, which enhance characters’ roles as team players. Clerics, for example, can now generate a persistent, movable healing aura. (Speaking of multiplayer, ACE supports cross-play; PS3 and Vita players can play together at will, with no extra steps required.) ACE also introduces a new special weapon type, known as Halomonas weapons, which grow in power as the characters do.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS Vita

But that’s just the beginning. Once players complete Chapter 9 – which was the endgame of the original Ragnarok Odyssey – a vast new dungeon appears, complete with its own story, all-new bosses, and new kinds of challenges. All told, the new Tower of Yggdrasil has 400 floors (not 100 as previously reported – more on that in a bit), each of which changes its layout with every visit.

(One other correction: In our previous blog entry on ACE, we reported that there was new story content throughout the game. There are new characters and dialogue sequences, and plenty of new content throughout the game, but the bulk of the new story content kicks in once the Tower shows up. Apologies for misleading anyone on that; we were still putting the game together at the time, going by the best info we had, and didn’t fully see how it all fit until later. We’re older and wiser now.)

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS Vita

In addition to the major new features above, returning players can enjoy a variety of enhancements that make Ragnarok Odyssey more convenient to play. ACE’s tavern (which, as before, functions as its multiplayer hub) now includes a set of old-timey speaking tubes, through which the player can buy and sell from the fort’s merchants without having to leave and come back. Several new control schemes allow the player to lock on, dash, and maneuver as he or she sees fit. Another new feature is the Billionaire Pot, a magical urn that converts old junky loot into fresh new goods. And, Thor’s name be praised, the benefits of weapon refining are no longer random.

That’s not even getting into the upcoming content patches, two of which have been released in Japan and will both be coming stateside soon. These patches introduce even more new features, including special daily quests, random card draws, login bonuses, leaderboards, additional ACE skills, and (in the second content patch, which may arrive in the States at the same time as the first) a new boss rush mode in a new area called the Prison of the Gods.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS Vita

Of course, all of that leaves one key question: What about players who already have the original Ragnarok Odyssey? Returning players can import their characters from the original game – to either the PS Vita or the PS3 version of ACE, after which the characters can migrate between both – and have the characters’ name, appearance, and cards transfer over. (Be sure to unequip any cards from your outfit before you initiate the transfer, as cards equipped on outfits do not transfer over, nor do the outfits or weapons themselves). Story-wise, new and returning characters alike take it from the top, though returning characters are likely to blaze through the early game quickly, with all the new content to enjoy while they’re at it. And, to answer one of the most popular questions, Trophies earned in the original game stay in the original game. The good news is many of the Trophies are new, and most of the not-new ones are the kind you won’t have to go out of your way for.

With its cross-play, saved game importing, content patching, and other bells and whistles we can’t go into detail about just yet, Ragnarok Odyssey ACE has been an interesting technical challenge for all of us here at XSEED and at its developer, GungHo. We hope you enjoy the results, which will come flying at you April 1st on PS3 and Vita. The PS3 version will retail on PlayStation Store and on brick-and-mortar shelves for $39.99. The Vita version comes in two varieties: A physical limited edition, featuring a soundtrack CD (with 25 total tracks from various artists, including Nobuo Uematsu) for $39.99, and a digital edition, without the soundtrack, for $34.99.

Have more questions about Ragnarok Odyssey ACE? Let us know in the comments!

PAGE 1 2

+ Disacode on February 19th, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

Omg! I’m looking forward to this!

+ tusunami on February 19th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

So now let me get this straight this game is the complete version compare to the first game. I’m glad that i did not by the 1st game like i was going to do.

+ rabidninjamonky on February 19th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

I never played the original, but I’m glad I waited. This looks like a way better version. I’ll definitely pick this up. I also wanted to say that I was waiting for ever for a Legend of Heroes TiTS sale, but finally caved and bought it for $20 a couple weeks ago. I Loved it! It’s my favorite rpg in years. Please bring us more LOH games.

+ Sparloth on February 19th, 2014 at 12:49 pm said:

will discount the first day, as it did with Dragon Ball for PS Vita, it is somewhat expensive considering they bought it already, but want to try this version

+ gundam_king16 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

will the online be stable on both the ps3 and the vita ver. on this game and are you going to localization senran kagura shinovi versus ?

+ MrZ_2010 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

LOVE this game!! spent over 700+ hours on the original, pre-ordered ACE long long time ago,

So, is there combat vibration in PS3 version ?

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

Yep, the devs added vibration effects for the PS3 version. :)

+ DJ_Tomato on February 19th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

@Ryan Graff as Xseed long time supporter, you know i will ending buying it anyway, it’s just feels so “odd”, i bought both RO and Valhalla Knights day one digital, and both have the same “business tactic” with those “remakes/expansion packs/etc”, it’s just makes me incomfortable.

Seems is a canon now, as Toukiden is doing the same, i will buy the games anyway, but next time i will a bit more careful about my buyings.

Obviously, this is not your fault as publisher, that comes from the developer, but try to understand that you’re my only “contact/feedback channel”, so don’t take it as personal. im just trying to express my disagreement.

Keep up the good work at Xseed!

And please, PLEASE, don’t spoil SKSV Vita as Ideafactory has done with Monster monpiece.

Please seriously D:!

@shadow15972 don’t talk stuff about you don’t know, play the first one, then accuse me.

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

Yeah, we found out about Valhalla Knights 3 Gold at the same time everyone else did. We’re still talking about…well, we’re still talking about it internally, and that’s all I think I can say for now.

And hey, no worries; my wife works in customer service for a game company, I used to, and I know how it is when fans get frustrated and you’re the only person they can talk to about it. I like these kinds of chats because they can help defuse all that. :)

+ ShadowKing0 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

@RyanGraff maybe I should be more specific.

Will I be able to get 2 Platinum trophies from playing both the PS3 & PSVITA versions. Or will there only be one Platinum trophy available between both games.

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Ah, you’ll only get one Platinum for completing the game. As long as your trophy list is synched online, your PS3 and Vita will both read from, and write to, the same list, so any trophy you gain will immediately count for both (and count as one in total).

+ shadow15972 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

@DJ_Tomato How about you don’t take about stuff *you* don’t know! I have seen a full playthrough of the game. I’m just sick of seeing you whine on psblog about stuff.

+ shadow15972 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

Talk* excuse me, autocorrect sucks. Haha.

+ shadow15972 on February 19th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Also, what does playing the game have to do with this? I would be more than happy to buy an ‘expanded’ version of a game I liked as I did with Monster hunter Tri and Tri ultimate and every other monster hunter.

+ CommandingTiger on February 19th, 2014 at 4:02 pm said:

The game play in this game is awesome.

+ SGTquig on February 19th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

01 Apr 14? It was due out yesterday, then pushed to 11 Mar 14, now 01 Apr 14… If this was any other game besides a Ragnarok title, I would have passed on it until it hit the bargain bin. A bit disappointed, but I can’t wait for it! Day one buy for me still.

+ Ryan Graff on February 20th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

We don’t mean to string you along! :) The release dates you see at retailers are sometimes placeholders; generally, the date’s not official until the publisher makes an announcement about it. That said, thanks for your patience, and we hope you’ll find the game worth the wait.

+ Tinye310 on February 19th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

love you XSEED. Preordered – WOOT

+ italodancemp3 on February 19th, 2014 at 9:40 pm said:

Great Game looks like the graphics are way better than first episode :)

+ iANiMeX on February 19th, 2014 at 10:43 pm said:

That moment when April 1st comes and clicking the “Buy” button of this game will take you to another page that say “April Fool’s Day!”.

+ aelurio1980 on February 19th, 2014 at 2:10 pm said:

Appears to be very good, for sure buy for the vita.

+ JMBlakk on February 19th, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

No Voice Chat??? Really, yea I’m getting this for my Vita not the PS3

+ DJ_Tomato on February 19th, 2014 at 2:47 pm said:

>full playthrough of the game

@Ryan Graff That’s whats difference a good company from a bad one, the customer relationship, thanks for accepting all my feedback and replying it.

Kind of professionals like you is what we need in the game industry.

Il be buying ROACE day one =)

+ SNORLAXex on February 19th, 2014 at 11:06 pm said:

Good thing I missed out on the first version.
I’m glad it was ported to PS3.

+ Ripley231 on February 20th, 2014 at 3:32 am said:

@Gorvi that’s what party chat is for man, me and my friends didn’t have any trouble with the first game. Of course skype is a background application and might work too.

+ TigerAries on February 20th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Other games when re-released with an updated version on includes the previous version’s DLC, is this the case with ACE?

When reading up on this game on wiki it seems like the JP version of ACE included all the previous DLC but the NA release does not mention that at all… it just says you can use it if you had it previously.

+ Ryan Graff on February 20th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

It’s a little complicated, but basically, if you could download it in Ragnarok Odyssey, you can download it in ACE. If you’ve already paid for it in Odyssey, you won’t have to pay for it in ACE again (as long as you’re still using the same PSN account). If you haven’t already paid for it in Odyssey, you can still pick it up in ACE for the regular price.

+ Groenner on February 20th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

For ages I have been waiting for this game, but there is one specific news that made me mad, angry an then sad: “Be sure to unequip any cards from your outfit before you initiate the transfer, as cards equipped on outfits do not transfer over, nor do the outfits or weapons themselves”. After the announce of RO Ace, I sold my copy of the game. Now I will loose my best cards, including the rare versions of many cards…. Only because there is no way to make a programming line to fetch and export those cards. Please, RO Ace programmers, that is not that hard do do.

+ genius527 on February 20th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

Might get a “PS4” for my birthday!!! Any way off topic this game looks like street fighter for ps vita cause in this game called Ragnorak Odyssey it’s different cause these characters just “fight” thats all. Someone who made this game must of wanted gamers to play a better game than street fighters but, just on “PS3”.

+ Angel178185 on February 20th, 2014 at 3:23 pm said:

hope thy fix the RETARDED censorship the game has, you cant have a full conversation with someone new to the game without 80%of the convo being censored, I really like the game and I preordered months ahead but its pretty stupid to censor words like “boss” and “damn” or “ghetto”.. this games rated T FOR TEENS not little immature kids… why set up a way to talk to people if nearly all words are blocked?

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2014 at 8:14 pm said:

Day 1 buy!!! I have the origingal and It was fantastic. This looks even better. Keep these games coming to the vita!

+ Rezolution77 on February 21st, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

I love this type of genre, its too bad that this game is seriously lacking.

Its potential is good.

Would much rather see Phantasy Star, over this.

Try learning from Online MMOs for computer. Many have limited graphics capabilities and yet still out perform.

+ azeelio on February 21st, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

I’m guessing this isn’t a cross buy?
What happens if you do happen to get the game for ps3 and vita, is the saved game shared between the two platforms?

+ Ryan Graff on February 21st, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

It’s not a cross buy, but it does support cross saving. If you have both the PS3 and Vita versions, you can turn on an option to transfer your save data back and forth between the two.

+ EvolvedMessiah on February 22nd, 2014 at 8:00 pm said:

I know this is a bit late, so I hope to get answer(thought not expecting one)..will our saves from the original RA on Vita carry over or do we have to start all over again?

+ Ryan Graff on February 24th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

Your character’s name, appearance, and cards (except for any cards either equipped on your outfit or acquired via Near) do carry over. In terms of story progression, everyone in ACE starts at the beginning, but there’s more to enjoy along the way this time around, as well as new equipment to build up for the late game.

+ VinsanityV21 on February 23rd, 2014 at 2:24 pm said:

Since Sega is really, REALLY being stubborn when it comes to talking up Phantasy Star Online 2’s western release (for any platform; I’m crossing my fingers for a PS4 release), I need a game like this RIGHT NOW. But I’ll wait until April 1st, XSeed :D Just thanks for bringing something that’s a quality entry in this genre. Even if it isn’t a stunner, it’s still colorful & charming like Game Arts’ & Gung Ho games should be, and it looks like just sort of online co-op hack-n-slasher we need a lot more of. This is a pre-order for sure – wanna be there Day 1 on PS3; take advantage of the great community!

+ BadTouchMonkey on February 27th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

@Ryan Graff Please tell me we’ll have some kind of voice chat, if not typing to newcomers before a mission or in the middle of a boss fight is going to be a pain.

+ BadTouchMonkey on February 27th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

i saw that it was already answered

+ mengtheman on March 1st, 2014 at 7:50 am said:

If PS3 going to have awesome RPG Action games like this, then I guess its time to buy a PS3. Been playing my PS2, Tales of The Abyss, Rogue Galaxy, Valkyrie Profile, Berserk Japan Import, Shining Force EXA, Star Ocean Till the End of Time.

+ mengtheman on March 1st, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

Hey, instead of giving monsters and bosses 9999999999999999999999999999999 hp bars. Why not make them dodge, block, and counter attack?

What’s the point of being called a boss or monster, if you are not more skillful than the main character? Gaming should change 9999999999999999999999999999999 hp bars into,”Dodge, Block, and Counter Attack”. I bet they would be a lot harder, and even more of a challenge. And monsters and bosses should only have 200 to 300 hp bars max, and the main character should have 100 hp bars max. Use timing, skills, and technique to defeat monsters and bosses, instead of infinity strikes to kill them.

No wonder some murderers think real life is like an RPG, and stab their victims infinity times. Because enemies always have 9999999999999999999999999999 hp bars in rpg games. I feel sorry for their victims, because their murderer has been playing too much rpg games. :(

+ LiasseReyna on March 19th, 2014 at 4:52 am said:

I’m still not an 100% sure if PS Vita users can connect to PS3 users over the internet together..?

I’m planning to get the PS3 version and am hoping I’ll be able to connect online to friends that have the Vita version, will this be possible? Or can you only play together locally?

+ SeriousComedy on March 20th, 2014 at 5:59 pm said:

Ryan Graff, just to ask, is there any chance that progress from the Region 3 version of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, could be carried over to the North American version? I imported my ROA copy from the Asian-English R3, and play with a US account.

I wouldn’t mind starting fresh with the ROA on this version and my proper region, especially since it keeps pace with the Japanese version much more than Region 3. I would appreciate knowing though if there’s any chance it could happen, since they do both come from the same developer, GungHo.

If not, I’ll gladly start over again. It’s a long, but enjoyable ride.

+ Eevee-Squad on March 6th, 2014 at 5:43 pm said:

I have two questions I would like to ask.
1. On the twitter page xseed said we might be losing one or two costume sets. Please tell me that the NA version still gets the tales of symphonia costumes.

2. I know there is going to be a digital version up for download for the Vita but, will the ps3 also have a digital version up for download?

+ Ryan Graff on March 18th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

Hey, pardon the late reply. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, although for licensing reasons, we can only offer it in the store until mid-October. It’ll be free of charge, so you can download it at no cost anytime before then, and you can keep it on your Vita or PS3 after it disappears from the store. (Just be sure not to delete it from your PS3 or Vita after that, because unfortunately, there probably won’t be any way to get it back at that point.)

2. Yes, there’ll be both physical and digital versions for both the Vita and PS3.

+ Jeuthy_Sheeva on March 17th, 2014 at 10:54 pm said:

I miss the first one, is this game multiplayer online or just ad-hoc mode, it’ll a must buy if it has MP online, cause y dont have friends who play psvita ¬¬

+ Ryan Graff on March 18th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

You’ll be happy to hear ACE supports both online and ad-hoc multiplayer.

+ Sharingan_itachi on February 19th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

Tell us about Senran Kagura now.

+ AriesWarlock on February 19th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

@Ryan Graff

Could you please ask the developers to offer button layout customization? I liked the demo, but I didn’t find button customization anywhere in the options. It’s 2014, button customization should be a by now in Japan.

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

The full game is pretty flexible when it comes to button preferences — not quite to the extent that you can map each function to whatever button you’d like, but close. The Vita version of ACE has four different control configurations to choose from, and the PS3 version has six.

+ Gorvi on February 19th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

I missed out on the original RO on Vita, I won’t be missing this one. Looks great! Does this one have voice chat?

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

No voice chat, unfortunately, but you can communicate with other players via text, emotes, or picture balloons.

+ Teh_AKOD on February 19th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Looks amazing. This is going to be my first preorder game for my Vita. I’m exited to play this.

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

Hope you enjoy it!

+ mynameisdats on February 19th, 2014 at 9:17 am said:

At last! I thought it theyve forgotten it. More hunting games!

+ PokeYorch on February 19th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

No Ragnarok Cards in the limited edition like before? T___T

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 9:34 am said:

Sorry to say no cards this time around, but the soundtrack’s a good one.

+ MXC_3664 on February 19th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

Wait so does this mean that physical will only come as limited edition? Not that I don’t plan on buying it anyway.

+ Ryan Graff on February 19th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

At first, yes, the Vita physical version will be limited edition only. Once the limited edition runs out, we’ll release a non-limited edition of the physical version, but without the soundtrack CD.

+ AriesWarlock on February 19th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

@Ryan Graff

Thanks for replying.

+ Ryumoau on February 19th, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

i already bought the original, so i’ll probably only rent this new version. Unless there was some way of discounting ACE for people who bought the original digitally on psn.

+ Malkavilis on February 19th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Who already has the original RO, will have some discount?

+ juuichi-11 on February 19th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

which jp releases will hit us region this year?

+ RenderMonk on February 19th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

If we bought the original game, will we be getting this upgraded game at a discounted price?

PAGE 1 2