Minecraft PS4

Tearaway Unfolded Coming to PS4

James Spafford's Avatar + Posted by James Spafford on Aug 12, 2014 // Community Manager

We’ve got a very special message for you all: we are bringing the magical papery world of Tearaway to PlayStation 4!

Now, if you know anything about Tearaway, your first thoughts on hearing that might be: “but that’s just plain impossible, yo!” and you’d be right! A straight port would be impossible, but we were super keen for Tearaway to make the jump to PS4 and we’re not the kind of folks to let something like the impossible get in our way!

Tearaway at Gamescom 2014

So we started jamming and experimenting, and the result is Tearaway Unfolded – an expanded retelling of the original game, adapted for PS4, and rebuilt from the ground up to use all the unique features of the Dualshock 4, and with a bigger prettier world running at 1080p and targeting 60fps to boot.

atoi_thrownforth

atoi_windswipeatoi_plane

The original Tearaway was a little papery world held entirely in your hands, and we used all the features of the PS Vita to deliver an experience that was as life-like and also fourth-wall-breaking as possible. With Tearaway Unfolded, we want to do the same thing, only this time the world is inside your TV and you interact with it using the unique inputs of the controller…

It doesn’t make sense for players to get up from the sofa, wander over to the TV and literally touch the world like they did in the PlayStation Vita version, but there are other ways you’ll be able to physically interact with the game instead.

atoi_gibbet_foothillsatoi_cauliflowers

From the comfort of your couch, you can swipe the touch pad to unleash great gusts of wind, and send them howling into the world to unfold rippling bridges or send enemies tumbling from cliffs! The power of wind can also be used to propel atoi through the skies in a paper plane, so you can explore the larger new world from above.

We also use the controller in more surprising ways too! You can shine the controller’s light bar into the TV to light up dark and gloomy places, growing and transforming the scenery, and guiding atoi along her way. Your little messenger companion can also throw items and creatures out of your TV and into your controller, where you can listen to them rattling around, before sending them hurtling back into the world.

atoi_beach

Tearaway Unfolded will be a familiar story, but with new ways to play, new places to explore, and a world that looks really rather stunning on PS4! Check it out in our trailer, and please let us know what you think in the comments below!

113 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ iREVOLTER on August 12th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

No more VITA love =(

+ Silver_shion on August 12th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Thanks for making the Vita even more useless

+ PZDugna on August 12th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

yep keep taking away those Vita exclusives and ya not not even bother to market anything on the Vita and wonder why it sells bad.

+ CatatonicAlex on August 12th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

PS Vita: World’s most expensive paperweight.
Thanks Sony.

+ Seeing_Red_Again on August 12th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

I thought Media Molecule was making a new series for PS4?

+ Blindjanitor on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

RIP PS Vita. You didn’t deserve to be treated this way by SCEA and SCEE.

+ benexclaimed on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

So porting a Vita title to another system actually damages your own experience with the Vita?

+ ChesterM on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Sadly I have to agree. Sony is doing a bang up job decreasing the uniqueness and value of owning a Vita, one day at a time. It’s becoming quite appalling.

+ el_casual on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Thanks Sony for Kill the Vita.

+ lisatsunami on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Yes, I loved Tearaway on Vita; I look forward to the PS4 version, too.

+ gus_xl on August 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

RIP Vita. You’ll be missed.

+ el_casual on August 12th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

SCEI must change the offices to..PORTland.

+ radioavon on August 12th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

This is why we can’t have nice things

+ Sharingan_itachi on August 12th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Vita is dead, pack it up

+ ChesterM on August 12th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

@benexclaimed Would I say it damages it? Not especially. But when you have Sony who is really kind of leaving Vita in the dust – I know AAA games aren’t sustainable, but how about some AA titles then – removing one of the few of it’s Crown Jewels, so to speak, does take some luster off the system. You have to have a nice mix of exclusives in with the multiplats for something to feel whole, and give what feels to be a solid value proposition. In this case, Sony just keep mucking the Vita up. I’m glad you don’t feel this way, just wish I could. It’s not useless, it’s just losing it’s shine.

+ Mando44646 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

yay less of a reason to buy a Vita! Thanks Sony!

+ Kchow23 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

Cross Buy?

+ Drew_Croft on August 12th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Oh cool, the only reason to own a Vita isn’t just on the Vita now. Can’t wait for it to be $50.

+ niwrA on August 12th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

Great, I loved the game and really like that this world is coming to PS4. I hope you can increase the quality of lighting and shadows a tiny bit, as that will make this already fantastic looking game shine even more. And definitely the 60fps are going to help too.

My son and I loved this game. What would really make this a superb experience on PS4 would be if you would manage to make this a co-op game somehow.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

I enjoyed drawing phallic objects and sticking them to the NPCs in Tearaway on Vita. It was even more fun seeing all of those characters greeting me in the final chapter of the game, with all of those things stuck to them. It was so much fun that I might actually get this for PS4.

+ Beetey on August 12th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

So the biggest announcement relating to the Vita was that one of its biggest titles is no longer exclusive? After the disaster that was E3 how did Sony allow this to happen again? I don’t even know what to think at this point. It’s no wonder the system isn’t selling great: Sony doesn’t seem to give a rat’s behind about the system.

+ SoulSlayer79 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

you guys dont give a **** about people who have bought a psvita for games like tearaway do you? now I have to buy the game twice because the ps4 version has more content?

+ Alenth26 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Thanks sony for not giving a S…. about the vita.

The system is on the hands of eastern developers now like in the past.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 12th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

“Tearaway: The last nail in Vita’s coffin” you should’ve announced Tearaway 2 for the Vita instead.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

One thing to remember please — PLEASE fix the camera and platforming mechanics. The most frustrating part of that game on Vita was jumping onto a platform that I thought was right below me, but then falling to my death because the camera moved on its own, or it wasn’t clear where I was jumping. If I’m going to fail, allow me to fail on my own merit. Not because the controls are lousy.

+ dizeeStL on August 12th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

another port, yawn.

what you can expect from sony nowadays:

1) garbage indie games for ps plus giveaways
2) ports of every ps3/vita game ever

BTW you guys are really doing a great job of pushing VITA sales! Port all of their games and then have a Vita TV. The Vita is not dead or anything!

+ ibor4you on August 12th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Great News, cant wait for a game :-) :-)

+ Flypn5 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

Where are the Vita’s games? indies, indies everywhere. Vita no vende nada por su culpa, le dieron la espalda.

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

…but does it have giant human fingers? (I could imagine, maybe, parts of your face popping in past the now thoroughly rippled fourth-wall of the screen.)

+ RSevo09 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

RIP PS Vita

+ AristidesSant on August 12th, 2014 at 11:27 am said:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! FOR DOING THAT TO THE VITA, good to see that you people still care for the vita…

+ ziggy_86 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:27 am said:

Will it be crossbuy guys?

+ glassmusic on August 12th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

Wow, so much hate from the Vita crowd. This doesn’t take anything away from you–it might even help. If non-Vita owners like myself grab and fall in love with more games that I know are also available on the Vita, we may be more open to purchasing the hardware.

+ Zionine on August 12th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Honestly, this is the only way for that team to make up for the losses that they probably had after the release of Tearaway. They had to make some sort of backup plan. — Sony is still doing poorly about advertising.. but they’re probably really wary due to the PSP Go’s over-advertising. Third parties are scared of the Vita because of the PSP’s pirating scene. Sony’s Proprietary cards are necessary also because of the PSP’s pirating scene. :/ Welp. All this adds up to Sony dropping the mobile market soon enough. I’m enjoying my Vita, but it’s a good time to call it quits.

+ plaztiksyke on August 12th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

Easily my favorite game on Vita, and the game I show people to convince them to get a Vita. The ending made me cry, but in a most joyous and nostalgic way. Just a wonderful experience.

a PS4 game is interesting, and it looks like it lifts mechanics from Echochrome ii (which was genius!) and Playroom. Pushing the DS4 touchpad ‘button’ to trigger the bounce pads makes less sense than on the Vita with rear touch. I do love the idea of the paper airplane/glider, though.

will there be co-op, even asymmetrical like Puppeteer’s Move controller co-op?

the sharp edges and contrast-y palette would make it a great fit for stereo 3D. I hope that Sony loses its aversion to 3DTV by that point.

PS: would *love* to see LBP1 and LBP2 content importable into LBP3 on PS4. would be fantastic to re-play LBP1 & 2 with better audio quality all the lighting/texture/rendering improvements!

+ RCU005 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

Is this game the same as the one on the PS Vita (like a port/remake) or is it different?

+ Zeitgeist_Pulse on August 12th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

Is it possible to just STFU about tearaway vita? I played it, loved it, wanted to play it on a big screen. Now I can, so can many people that skipped it because of the hardware attached to it. Weren’t everyone crying about the sales before?? Now this is the chance to see more of that series!

+ CatatonicAlex on August 12th, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

@35
It is a completely NEW Tearaway game made for the PS4, which will attempt to use all of the PS4 controller’s features/gimmicks.
This is NOT coming to the Vita in any shape or form.
#vitaisdead.

+ God-Of-Lyf on August 12th, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

WHY?

+ frdjck108 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

PS Vita: 32gb Memory Card full of games, can’t stop playing Spelunky! :)

+ rvn10_ on August 12th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

FU Sony for not even mention the Vita again!

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

Lol at people acting like Vita lost something. Tearaway is IMPOSSIBLE on any other system, Mm just said so… And anyone win a brain already knew that. That’s why they’ve reimagined the game for the PS4 from the ground up.

There was no paper plane, wind, flashlight, etc, etc, in Tearaway. Why do I get the feeling people whining didn’t even buy or play Tearaway?

+ RoII_chan on August 12th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

Thank you for this awesome game MM, I love TEARAWAY so much and playing it on PS4 will be interesting <3

Also why is people complaining about Vita being dead? I play my Ps Vita everyday even more than my PS3 and my PS4, I have a lot of games and I never get bored!

Media Molecule made the right thing with this game, more people need to experience the piece of art that is Tearaway <3

+ Arnodino on August 12th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

One of the only Vita exclusives that will pass on ps4. Sony, you did not have enough of spitting in the faces of players vita? This is how you thank the sony players who buy your machines?
The image you send to the players is deplorable. is it so complicated to provide a one-minute trailer chronicling the next exit to Vita, to have a minimum visibility? No, apparently you have decided to bury this machine.
Pathetic …

+ Beetey on August 12th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

Lol at people thinking Tearaway being ported to the PS4 are the only reason Vita owners are upset. Even with zero big game announcements, I would at least like to have heard the 64 GB card is coming west.

+ Chip1010 on August 12th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

The Vita was dead long before this announcement. You were mistaken if you thought Sony was going to keep pumping marketing and development money into a platform that isn’t selling. It sucks. I remember my obsession with the Dreamcast before it died too young. But it happens.

Tearaway appears to be a great game. It’s good that it’ll be reimagined for a more popular console. I’ll buy it for sure.

+ drtifus on August 12th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sony!

+ Kellyjune on August 12th, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

when the fist time tearaway was released ,i hoped it was for ps3 and TLOU for ps vita instead =)) .Sony always give ps vita worst games they have .I dont believe this game will be success on ps4 ,tearaway itself is a game that cant become popular .i dont even own this game,so i dong feel bad about it will be ps4 exclusive or what ,but if gravity rush 2 come to ps4 ,sony is totally fuuu

+ Amir_G_M_US on August 12th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

SHAME!!! NO WORD FOR VITA in an entire 70 minutes coverage????
the Tearaway thing is another backstab

+ italodancemp3 on August 12th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Awkward

Shame on.,….

What vita owners must say?

PAGE 1 2 3