Final Fantasy XV

Jan 11

Jan 11

CES 2012: PS Vita’s Augmented Reality Transforms Your Table Into an Arena

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

A couple of months ago, a video surfaced that showed off some cool-looking augmented reality apps running on PS Vita. Since then, it’s been confirmed that Vita will come with six AR Play Cards and a voucher to download a handful of free augmented reality mini games via the PSN. Today at CES, we were able to see one of these games in action: Table Football (it will be called Table Soccer in the US, because we already have football).

Backstage, Sony Santa Monica Sr. Manager Dave Thach dealt the AR Play Cards on a table, and a soccer pitch sprung to life through the window of the PS Vita’s luscious OLED display. The actual game is kind of like a turn-based soccer match – it reminded me of a 2012 version of paper football. But enough talk, let’s see it in action:

Bonus points if you spotted the Men in Black 3 alien who walked through the frame. Vegas is weird.

Table Soccer is just one of the augmented-reality games you’ll be able to play for free if you pick up a new PS Vita on February 22nd. We’ll highlight more closer to launch right here on the PlayStation.Blog.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

krae_man said:

January 11th, 12:22 pm

If only everyone had expensive glass tables to play on!

Seriously though AR is cool and I look forward to fooling around with it.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 11th, 8:59 pm

I think that table was kinda cheap, actually. But it made for some cool camera angles!

head20 said:

January 11th, 12:28 pm

wait hold what about those of us who got the ps vita early how do we get to have the experience ????????????

head20 said:

January 11th, 12:29 pm

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not fair ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kchow23 said:

January 11th, 12:30 pm

Hah, was the alien the one near the very end of the video? Looks very cool and from the video it doesn’t seem that you need a large distance between you and the cards which is what I didn’t like about others’ AR tech.

Kchow23 said:

January 11th, 12:31 pm

@2 You got to play it early.

head20 said:

January 11th, 12:36 pm

i love it uncharted it sick lol and umvc 3 i thought it would be hard to pull off the moves but its not its more easy to do on the vita d-pad then the ps3 wow

Shadow1108 said:

January 11th, 12:37 pm

Will people be able to get these cards and games if they already have a Japanese Vita? Will we have to pay extra for it? It didn’t come with the Japanese model and with the exchange rate it was already more expensive.

Russiangiant54 said:

January 11th, 12:41 pm

can’t wait to get this! i hope theres no problems, i already bought 4 PS3’s -_-

Russiangiant54 said:

January 11th, 12:45 pm

WTF?! did i see an alien?! LOL

Baxter2231 said:

January 11th, 12:51 pm

Will you be able to play with the buttons or is it just touch based? because thats really important.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 11th, 9:01 pm

It’s touch-based. It’s not FIFA – the way the game works, stick/button controls wouldn’t work. The skill is all in the speed at which you swipe.

kdiep said:

January 11th, 12:53 pm

Please make the SDK available or some sort of developer environment like the Move.me. I’m currently studying AI and Computer Vision and would loooooooooooove to develop for this (or at least attempt).

Glaukon said:

January 11th, 1:10 pm

bring back Eye of Judgement (I think that is what is called) or something else re-branded and sell decks of cards and make super awesome attacks and monster old school final fantasy summons style. Use the cards so that positioning matters, attacks have different ranges and angles. Also anyone with a vita can see the 2v2 battle, my sony friends you will run out of vitas because every nerd in the planet will go nuts for this and will finally sell AR as the real future. Once that happens you can finally move to AR glass and LED gloves that allow me to move my hands in a 3D environment.

Imagine competitions like this!!! pokemon, magic and Yu-Gi-Oh will [DELETED] their pants just saying

kivi95 said:

January 11th, 1:15 pm

Nice FREE is my favourite word :)

head20 said:

January 11th, 1:33 pm

head20 said:

January 11th, 1:33 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i want my free game i wanna play

MarinoBrea said:

January 11th, 1:38 pm

You already have “football” in the US? you should call that game “tackle ball” or “running ball” , the real sport where the foot meets the ball is called FOOTBALL not “soccer”…

brian81371 said:

January 11th, 1:44 pm

Do you know if this will be available in Canada too??

Thanks

Benmo316 said:

January 11th, 1:52 pm

So if I’m riding in a car and I want to play Table Soccer I’m S.O.L. since there’s not room to put all these cards?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 11th, 9:04 pm

well, i guess you could set them up in the back seat? Hoping you’re not driving in this scenario…

Moonglare said:

January 11th, 2:05 pm

Looking pretty good u.u

cannibal155 said:

January 11th, 2:14 pm

I like it

kivi95 said:

January 11th, 2:14 pm

16# There will be different types of Augment reality games. Some that will require the cards and some won’t. So this is one of does which you need the cards.

snakeeyes211 said:

January 11th, 2:58 pm

Awesome

Dessron said:

January 11th, 3:20 pm

Will the cards be included in the box or will we have to pick them at the same time as we buy the hardware. I want to know because I’ve pre-ordered the Vita and it’ll be delivered right at home and I wanted to know if I would have the cards. If they’re not included in the box, is there any way we can get them if we receive PS Vita right at home?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 11th, 9:04 pm

The cards are in the box, and you’ll download the games.

MarkakaJin said:

January 11th, 3:21 pm

Not really interested in this AR thing since you guys aren’t letting the PS Vita able to play PSone Classics…

kNoWlEdGe22 said:

January 11th, 3:21 pm

that looks like a promising feature…

D-Squad3 said:

January 11th, 5:38 pm

Hopefully more people will support this.

Apollo4x said:

January 11th, 6:06 pm

Personally I love this feature of the Vita. In fact it is one of the reasons I am looking so forward to the Vita as I can see the promise of this feature. To see one of the ways that they are going to pull this off with the Vita I am filled with even more excitement for this system. Though one thing I have to ask of those that are complaining about the PS1 compatibility with the Vita, why are you so upset about it. While yes I agree that it sucks that it won’t be able to play them at the launch of the system, they can still add it in later on with an update to the firmware. Plus I don’t understand why you would not want to get the system over this one little thing. I mean come on you can still play them on the PSP and the PS3 as well, so you don’t absolutely need the feature to play those games. If any one can explain this to me please do so as I just don’t get it.

themajestic-2 said:

January 11th, 7:58 pm

just preordered my vita today!!!!!

jerk_man said:

January 11th, 8:41 pm

how heavy are the cards?

jerk_man said:

January 11th, 9:06 pm

the oly reason i asked is because i’m concerned that they can blow away if their is a sudden gust of wind

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 11th, 9:07 pm

They seemed of solid stock, though we were indoors.

jerk_man said:

January 11th, 9:12 pm

i’m sure if they are too light for gust situations one could always tape a coin to one side or something like that

jerk_man said:

January 11th, 9:13 pm

gusty*

VariantAEC said:

January 11th, 9:43 pm

I’m I the only one who noticed the cards seem to dissapear once the Vita knows where they are? Did you ask about that? This WAAR stuff looks pretty cool! Anymore news on the markerless AR?

juggalorider said:

January 12th, 12:18 am

OMG thats cool

duckie42 said:

January 12th, 2:33 am

looks kewl… i wonder what other WAAR games there R for the non sports person i wonder if theres going to be a stateside football (NFL/NCAA) game or other games like hockey (NHL)…going by the accent the person there it was for the EU ps vita
going by the video playing on a GLASS top table would be a little harder to play on visually for me id prefer to play on a solid nontranclucent surface…it would be interesting if u taped the cards to a wall & played that way or would real world gravity have any context on in-n game AR play…wed just have to wait & C…

ItaChu said:

January 12th, 5:06 am

theres gonna be PS Vita Demos right?

ItaChu said:

January 12th, 5:08 am

oh my god he said this is free …..wow thanks sony

BananaFish said:

January 12th, 5:53 am

Can’t wait to find out what games like AR Pool or Chess on the Vita are going to be like! Preorder confirmed.

Apollo4x said:

January 12th, 6:28 am

While what all you guys are talking about is cool the geek in me is thinking of the AR games that doesn’t use the cards. I mean think about you are playing one of those games and you are walking along and see a world within your world that you can reach out and interact with. Not to mention how cool fights would be, I mean think about it you are walking along and an enemy randomly pops out of no where and you have to fight it like it is in your room. Man all of that would be so cool. Or they could make it were to get into the game world you had to go to a door and open it up. Man my inner geek is coming out.

Ratchet426 said:

January 12th, 7:22 am

I suppose there’s no chance in h3ll of Sony resurrecting Eye of Judgment for the Vita, but I guy can dream.

(Hmm… Eye of Judgment: Resurrection _is_ a catchy title though ;-) )

phantom12SI said:

January 12th, 7:38 am

I am really looking forward to the AR games i already have my ps vita on preorder and almost paid off i cant wait when i get my ps vita in feb,15

sionllj said:

January 12th, 9:02 am

When will Sony announce the UK 3G plans so I know which version I’ll Pre-Order?

LordRaoh said:

January 12th, 11:07 am

Can we expect an eye of judgment like card game with augmented reality for vita in the future?

SolduNuts said:

January 12th, 1:55 pm

That looks awesome. I’m also excited about the AR fighting game for PSV. Anywhere you are becomes a battle ground should be the catch phrase. I’m also curious as to what other AR games Sony has in the works.

Sold.

Linzoid said:

January 13th, 8:26 am

“(it will be called Table Soccer in the US, because we already have football)” Ironically a game played predominantly played with your hands! American Football should really be called American Handball!

leithal7 said:

January 14th, 1:52 am

Will i get these cards a week early with my vita, since i preordered?

tacoman78918 said:

January 14th, 7:57 pm

cool but they did the same thing with the 3ds

leithal7 said:

January 15th, 7:15 am

I have a question, I know there is a “Media go” application to sync music, photos etc to PSPs, and im assuming the vita as well, but its a windows only application. So me having a mac, i cant sync music to my vita when i get it?
Or is there another way to sync music to a vita from my computer?

average_p said:

January 15th, 7:55 am

What if I live in Japan and already got a PS Vita? Will I miss out on these cards and free games? Can anyone answer this? Missing out would really suck…”free” is such an awesome word…

Makattak28 said:

January 15th, 11:11 pm

Jeff!! Will the 6 AR cards be available with the first edition bundle?? Maybe it’s obvious but I wanna make sure. Got it pre ordered and paid!

PAGE 1 2