Spider-Man PS4

Apr 23

Apr 23

Dragon’s Crown for PS3, PS Vita Melting Faces on August 6th

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by PR Manager, ATLUS

Dragon’s Crown has had a long development process – especially for those of you who remember E3 2011 when Ignition first mentioned the game. But now ATLUS and Odin Sphere developer Vanillaware are putting a stake in the ground for August 6th, 2013. If you’re not familiar with Dragon’s Crown, it’s a 2D multiplayer action beat-em-up exclusive to the PS3 and PS Vita that features four-person co-op play, six character classes, skills that can be leveled up, and all the dungeon-exploring, orc-slapping, treasure-seeking action you can shake a magical staff at. If you’re not familiar with the date August 6th, please consult a calendar.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

One of the reasons development took so long is the painstaking detail that makes every character, background or combat animation worthy of the artistic vision of Vanillaware. The intricacies in the artwork are immediately noticeable on both the PS3 and PS Vita versions. Speaking of, we’re working right now on making sure that gamers can take their saved games with them on the Vita. So while Vita adventurers can’t party up with PlayStation dungeoneers, it doesn’t mean they have to stop leveling and looting if they have to leave the living room.

Dragon's Crown for PS3 and PS Vita

The other thing that’s immediately noticeable about Dragon’s Crown are the fantastical player characters. The Amazon, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Sorceress and Wizard all exude extreme character designs to emphasize their powerfulness. The outlandish character design stands out from the hordes of goblins, orcs, myconids (evil, sentient mushrooms), and other dangerous creatures that populate the world of Hydeland. Oh, and in case you were wondering: yes, you can fight dragons in it.*

Aug. 6 will be here sooner than you think, so make sure to stay up to date with Dragon’s Crown on the official game website and right here on the PlayStation Blog.

*There will also be a crown in the game.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Craiji said:

April 23rd, 10:06 am

Day 1 for both versions, cross save rocks.

Gorvi said:

April 23rd, 10:09 am

Any plans on making the game Cross Buy as well?

atlusprime said:

April 23rd, 10:12 am

@Gorvi – right now, there’s no Cross-buy option unfortunately. :(

Onihalo said:

April 23rd, 10:12 am

That’s one game I look forward to playing. God, I miss those good old days when side-scroller beat ’em ups were everywhere.

StingrayX said:

April 23rd, 10:12 am

Looks interesting.

TheGrimHeaper said:

April 23rd, 10:13 am

Great! Can’t wait. Just to be clear, there’s no cross-play, correct?

ExHaseo said:

April 23rd, 10:13 am

Finally, a solid date!
I’ll be picking it up on Vita for sure.

Shadowfox85 said:

April 23rd, 10:14 am

Very excited to play this with my friends, but I have a question here. When you said “So while Vita adventurers can’t party up with PlayStation dungeoneers” are you saying the Vita version can’t play online with friends on PSN? Or maybe I just misunderstood and just meant playing solo since you are most likely to not have a connection. Well if you can play with your PSN friends online, is it cross play where if I get the Vita version, I can play with people with the PS3 version? And is there ad-hoc mode for local 4 player action? Sorry for all those questions, just that the multiplayer part of this is whats important for me so I know which version to get.

April 23rd, 10:51 am

To clarify, Vita can play online only with Vitas, PS3s only with PS3s.

Yep, Vita has ad-hoc multiplayer.

cat9966 said:

April 23rd, 10:15 am

“painstaking detail that makes every character, background or combat animation worthy of the artistic vision of Vanillaware” Apparently that vision includes includes women with huge breasts that look like they are struggling to break of what little covering they have. I’m not one to notice of this kind of stuff, but the trailer mostly looks like the game blazes new trails in the ever popular gaming genre of look-at-these-girls-racks, making this game rather difficult to take seriously.

Hand-of-Vecna said:

April 23rd, 10:15 am

Thanks for bringing this!

How about Grand Knights History next?

MoonLance said:

April 23rd, 10:15 am

Didn’t know it would also be released on the PS3 platform as well…that’s a pleasant surprise.

Can’t wait for their release!

XeahuleXolic said:

April 23rd, 10:17 am

How much cuz I will buy it!!!!!!!!

atlusprime said:

April 23rd, 10:17 am

@TheGrimHeaper – correct. There’s no cross-platform play between PS3 and Vita users. But PS3 supports local and online multiplayer, Vita supports online and ad hoc multiplayer.

atlusprime said:

April 23rd, 10:19 am

@XeahuleXolic – $49.99 PS3 and $39.99 Vita :D

fatjoe400 said:

April 23rd, 10:20 am

Definitely grabbing this for my Vita

XeahuleXolic said:

April 23rd, 10:21 am

Thanks I love Atlus Games!! This is going on my PS Vita \m/

April 23rd, 11:42 am

\m/ very metal \m/

atlusprime said:

April 23rd, 10:21 am

@ExHaseo – definitely been a long time coming, but it’s awesome that we have a delivery date in sight. The producers let me play a little bit of the Vita version…it’s every bit as stunning as the PS3 version.

xClayMeow said:

April 23rd, 10:23 am

Is there going to be a demo? I don’t buy $40 Vita games on a whim – I need to be able to try it first and ensure it’s something I’d enjoy.

Also, any idea whether there will be a pre-order and/or week one PS+ discount?

On a separate note, it’s better if you actually reply to user comments because then it shows up in RED, letting us easily know when you post/reply.

April 23rd, 10:36 am

Thanks – got it sorted now!

Demo? unfortunately we don’t have one planned at this stage.

There won’t be discounts for pre-orders, but we’ll have details on pre-order bonuses soon :)

atlusprime said:

April 23rd, 10:24 am

@OniHalo – Dragon’s Crown definitely scratches the Golden Axe/Streets of Rage/Double Dragon beat-em-up itch.

IzoGray said:

April 23rd, 10:26 am

That price tag is laughable. I thought this was a $15-20 game.

April 23rd, 10:38 am

We’ll have a lot more info on it in the coming months – the game has a lot more depth than its 16-bit spiritual brethren. It looks and plays better than a $15-20 game.

Rotsujin said:

April 23rd, 10:27 am

Ugh, why did it have to be Atlus. Adding to import list.

Folklore_Legendz said:

April 23rd, 10:27 am

was there a reason to not included cross play, it seems like it could work. so why is possible to transfer your save date from the ps3 to your vita, but you can’t play with your vita co-op. it’s very lazy to say the least, though i’m still gonna buy it. but only on for my vita and not both, it’s a shame really.

April 23rd, 12:09 pm

Unfortunately it’s not as simple as just ticking an “Enable Crossplay” box and having it in the game, or else we totally would have. There were some technical barriers on the dev side that made cross-play impossible.

Cross-save is still viable.

KazeEternal said:

April 23rd, 10:31 am

Ya the prices are a bit absurd. Don’t suppose we can get a Cross Buy here atlas? It has helped with a few purchases of Sony’s published products with me and it would certainly help here. A discount at the very least or a mail in rebate if you buy the Vita and PS3 versions at the same time.

Disappointing that Vita and PS3 can’t play together, but can vita play with vita? May take a chance on getting my vita friends on board if thats the case.

Also can multiple Vita owners bring their characters into the PS3 version? It’s broken that individual user accounts are rarely taken into account on PS3, it would be awesome if my Character was my own and I could move it between game sessions with friends with different story progressions.

April 23rd, 11:01 am

Definitely – Vita can play with Vita. Ad hoc or online multiplayer :)

But no cross-buy unfortunately.

In regards to the multiple characters on the PS3 version, are you asking if multiple Vita accounts can bring their characters into the same PlayStation 3 for local multiplayer? If so, the producers haven’t actually tried that, but since the save account is bound to one PS profile, they’re pretty sure it’s impossible.

passivefamiliar said:

April 23rd, 10:33 am

atlus. related to midus right? seems like anything they touch is gold…i’ll buy this.

as a man, i have to. did you see the sorceress? but really, whats up with the way tits are anymore? im not complaining, but….it sets a standard that nothing short of a one in a million girl or surgery can reach. poor teens these days are always going to be let down.

fingers crossed for slow-mo magic. ^.-

Thiagots85 said:

April 23rd, 10:36 am

wow…nice boo..er, game

can’t wait to play it

Zamorian79 said:

April 23rd, 10:37 am

It really looks beautiful. It’s one of my most anticipated games. I used to love this genre and spent hours with D&D Tower of Doom and D&D Shadow over Mystara. Will buy on day one! It’s a shame about the lack of cross-buy. I want both versions but I’m having second thoughts about paying 90 bucks for the game.

rafael_martines said:

April 23rd, 10:37 am

Mr. John Hardin, will the game keep the Japanese Audio? Like you guys did with The King of Fighters XIII for example? Because, if yes! This will be amazing *___*

April 23rd, 11:27 am

I thought I knew the answer to this, but then I heard something different from the production team. Long story short: stay tuned ;)

Aces73High said:

April 23rd, 10:39 am

I am sooooo looking forward to this (and Muramasa Rebirth), but there’s STILL no word on a release (for either game) for us Vita gamers in Europe!!?? John, can you offer any solace for a concerned Brit?

April 23rd, 11:28 am

I can’t, but rest assured that as soon as we have ANY details on it, you’ll hear about them right here on the PS Blog :)

DaMann22 said:

April 23rd, 10:43 am

Ill gladly double dip if the game has separate trophy list. PLEASE MAKE THAT HAPPEN!

April 23rd, 12:12 pm

If I could make that happen for you, I would. For Christmas.

But I can’t, and the producers tell me that there’s not a separate trophy list. Sorry bro. :(

GABRIEL-ODIN said:

April 23rd, 10:47 am

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS~

:))

JeffsonP_US said:

April 23rd, 10:47 am

I’ll get if for PS Vita for sure!
Please, make a PS Store pre-order. I get all my games from the Store, and this will be no different.
I’m still sad about we don’t have a Soul Sacrifice pre-order. =(

Go_Buddie_Go said:

April 23rd, 10:50 am

I have been waiting for so long to see more info on this game! Now we have a release date confirmed.

Four player co-op, in a 2-D sidescrolling, action/rpg… Plus loot! Yay! Price point doesn’t bother me one bit, just can’t wait to finally play it! D:

thechrono33 said:

April 23rd, 10:52 am

Day one buy for me, man thats some nice detail you all put in to it!!!

April 23rd, 12:13 pm

Vanillaware is in a league of their own. The game’s graphics are incredible.

promethean said:

April 23rd, 10:55 am

It is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay twice for the same exact game when it is released for both PS3 & Vita, especially with cross-save. You’ve heard of rage-quit? These type of things (along with other PSN issues like prices grossly inflated over retail) are the things that cause me to rage-boycott certain games, at least until they go on sale so it doesn’t feel like I’m getting screwed so much.

PuppetShoJustice said:

April 23rd, 10:55 am

Will the JP voice acting be in-tact? If it isn’t, I’ll just import it.

I hope you guys at Atlus understand some of us really want the dual audio to exist. Please don’t scrap the JP voice track.

April 23rd, 11:32 am

See above – my response to Rafael_martines

Timethriller said:

April 23rd, 10:57 am

Any date for EU? Or will it be handled by another publisher over here and given a later release like persona 4 golden?

Mando44646 said:

April 23rd, 11:02 am

why are all major Vita releases in Fall? We have to wait months for anything new as far as retail releases goes :(

April 23rd, 11:34 am

If we could release it any sooner, we would! :D

Also, technically, Aug. 6 is summer. :P

RoyBM said:

April 23rd, 11:03 am

Been watching this one since I got my Vita last August.
Reminds me of the old D&D Arcade games and loved playing those.

A bit disappointing there is not Cross-Play though…. they really need to add this feature and it would be a killer hit!

Godchild1020 said:

April 23rd, 11:03 am

If anyone that has played a game from Atlus or Vanillaware, you know you are getting a quality title. I can’t this game and Muramasa Rebirth.

Keep the quality title coming Atlus and Vanillaware.

April 23rd, 11:35 am

This guy knows what’s up. :D

xClayMeow said:

April 23rd, 11:04 am

It’s funny how people feel ENTITLED to Cross-Buy for all cross-platform games. Cross-Buy is an added bonus, it’s not the norm. Be grateful that such a thing even exists to begin with. Next you’ll want to be able to buy a game and receive PS3, 360, and PC versions all for one low cost.

infamousXX87XX said:

April 23rd, 11:05 am

LOL at the people crying about the price. Obviously, some of you guys have never played Odin Sphere. Dragon’s Crown is a spiritual successor to Odin Sphere and these games are not your typical $20 games. I bought Odin Sphere on day 1 for $50 on PS2 and it was definitely worth it.

Godchild1020 said:

April 23rd, 11:06 am

I can’t *wait* for this game and Muramasa Rebirth.

Hopefully a bundle for a set price at the time of release on the PSN?

ShinobiMura said:

April 23rd, 11:08 am

Already have both versions preordered! Since there is no multiplayer between PS3 and Vita, but there is data transfer and PS3 local multiplayer, can multiple PSVita players transfer their data to a PS3 to all do local multiplayer with their own data?

ShinobiMura said:

April 23rd, 11:18 am

If there will be a preorder bonus, I hope Amazon will be getting it and it won’t be a GameStop exclusive.

boxmyth said:

April 23rd, 11:22 am

Thank Lord Pixel for Vanillaware’s perseverance in keeping 2D alive. I will always be a 2D gamer, come PS4 or PS64.

Kchow23 said:

April 23rd, 11:35 am

No Cross buy? :\

inesbrasil said:

April 23rd, 11:36 am

The oversexualization and bizarre proportions of the Amazon and Sorceress are really throwing me off. The Dwarf also looks ridiculous. I was really trying to let it go, because it looks like it’s gonna be a wicked game, but after Kamitani’s response to one of the critics, I don’t really know anymore.

PhoenixDowny said:

April 23rd, 11:41 am

This game looks epic! I am truly impressed with the beautiful visuals! I simply think that the nudity and suggestive voluptuousness could certainly be toned down. I’m definitely hopeful that there is going to be some great pre-order bonuses as typically there are for JRPG’s such as art books and posters. I’m going to go and reserve this game ASAP at GameStop although I am disappointed at the lack of CrossBuy.

In a world overrun with FPS games it’s always a blessing to see titles like Dragon’s Crown and Grand Knights History.

Phoenix_Law said:

April 23rd, 11:43 am

Can’t wait!

cosmis_chaos said:

April 23rd, 11:45 am

‘The price of this game is laughable’. The pure ignorance of people on this blog boggles my mind. .Games like Muramasa Rebirth and Odin Sphere have more depth and longevity then most game these days and you want to say that this isn’t worth the price. Atlus makes some of the best fantasy games around and if some of the idiots here actually played any of them you wouldn’t be talking such nonsense. I have never seen a bunch of ill mannered, ignorant gamers. You have no idea what depth the game has and you are already trying to dictate the price and tell them it;s not worth it? I mean if you are going to execute your right to an opinion try to not to say things that make sense

April 23rd, 11:50 am

Thanks for the love, but don’t fault people for not knowing about ATLUS’ greatness :). They’ll learn in time…

PAGE 1 2 3