Knack 2

Sep 28

Sep 28

PlayStation Blogcast 308: Wooooo!

Featuring a very special guest appearance from Worldwide Studios Chairman Shawn Layden.

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, Social Media

Email us at blogcast@sony.com!

Subscribe via iTunes, Spotify, Google or RSS, or download here

This week we’re joined by Worldwide Studios Chairman Shawn Layden, who stops by to give us an update on the future of PlayStation Experience and discuss this week’s big Fortnite cross-platform play announcement.

Stuff We Talked About

• PlayStation Experience
  • Fortnite cross-platform play
  • Ric Flair
  • Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Sand

The Cast

Official PlayStation Blogcast: Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Justin MassongillOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Kristen Titus

Sid Shuman – Director of Social Media, SIEA
Justin Massongill – Social Media Manager, SIEA
Kristen Titus – Social Media Specialist, SIEA

Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music.

Add Your Own

anberlin44 said:

September 28th, 11:53 am

Its really disappointing that the reason is that there is nothing new to show. I come to play games and celebrate Playstation with friends and like-minded individuals (and collect the cards). This is very disheartening.

Butters360 said:

September 28th, 11:56 am

Biggest sad face that there won’t be a PSX for 2018. I’ve gone to every one since 2014. Definitely understand the logistics behind that difficult decision. Thank you for the update Shawn. Very much appreciated.

PS_ihh said:

September 28th, 11:57 am

Shame about no PSX. I love that it’s a whole weekend about PlayStation hopefully there’s one again next year at the 25th anniversary.

SiloEyes said:

September 28th, 12:14 pm

PSX should be an event for celebrating Playstation with your friends and fellow gamers in an awesome social space. The fact that we would already be PAYING to attend should make the fact that you can’t find a viable way to use it as a marketing tool irrelevant. Be honest though, its just that Shawn would be embarrassed to go on stage a year later and admit they still don’t know how to implement PSN name changes after promising last year to Greg Miller that we wouldn’t have to ask him that again this year.

Turismo4GT said:

September 28th, 12:15 pm

Yeah, kinda disappointing that there will be no PSX this year, especially since MS has announced the return of their XO Xbox event for November. I appreciate the early update though.

Amans91 said:

September 28th, 12:22 pm

I’m extremely upset about this news. I have attended PSX every year since 2014 and it’s the one event I look forward to. I planned my schedule a year in advance to attend. I love having a weekend to just hang out with other Playstation fans. Hopefully this isn’t the end of PSX. PLEASE BRING IT BACK NEXT YEAR FOR THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

ElektroDragon said:

September 28th, 12:22 pm

Well, they are finally getting their heads out of the 2006 sand with the closed platform/no crossplay, maybe there is hope for PSN name changes as well. 12 years guys, come on. Xbox allowed this what, a DECADE ago now?

Dragjae55 said:

September 28th, 12:47 pm

Sony wanted cross play with xbox since last gen but xbox never wanted to. Also if you wanna talk about name change, just about a month ago xbox finally got shopping carts in their store….

findaway said:

September 28th, 1:03 pm

Just my 2 cents, you guys announced Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding a little too soon, assuming they both come out in 2019, which I wouldn’t put money on. Announcing Ghosts at Paris Games Week last year was a little odd too, I like having a roadmap of future 1st party releases but imo the timeframe was better for games like Horizon and God of War.

rafail129 said:

September 28th, 1:10 pm

Weak E3 2018, no PS X.. That’s sad.. Or Sony is already focused on ps5 or simply due to lack of competition from Microsoft, Sony has completely relaxed..
P.S. Death Strangling, Ghost Thusima and TloU seems to have come cross-platform for ps4/ps5. And for new big announcements for PS VR as I understand for this year can no hope, right?((
PPS. Something Sony really disappoints me at this year. PPPS. I recently bought a Pro..
Пошёл короче рыдать в подушку…

Bam4evr said:

September 28th, 2:06 pm

You’re really blowing it lately when it comes to PSX, Sony. Seriously! You’re going to have to make up for that somehow.

Deathalo said:

September 28th, 2:30 pm

Probably a good idea not to have PSX this year, I went the last 2 years, and while 2016 was great, 2017 was a big let down. Not just the showcase, but the lack of really big AAA anticipated titles available to play was majorly disappointing. A lot of the major booths were games that were already out, or the same from the year before. They didn’t even have a Spider-Man demo, which I thought was very surprising. Most of the cool VR experiences were too hard to get spots too as well, so by midway through the second day we were just wandering around looking for something to do. They also stopped giving out PSN credit for completely activities/trophies at the event, so unless you really cared about some physical cards, there was no point doing most of that stuff. I’d rather they wait and put on a great show than one like last year.

URIELXIV said:

September 28th, 3:57 pm

No PSE? So where’s Medievil?

krae_man said:

September 28th, 8:02 pm

Shawn, I hope you said “This year” because you plan to bring PSX back, and not because you just don’t want to admit it’s done for good.

If you do plan on bringing PSX back, I hope you take the extra time and do it right and treat is properly because you haven’t done so any of the past 4 years.

PSX has been mostly wasted potential. It should be your Wrestlemania, and instead it’s been mostly an afterthought that gets the scraps of everyones time.

You’re capable of so much better.

xrapperkdx said:

September 29th, 3:02 am

Hey guys just wanted to say I’m loving the blogcast! Just recently started listening and I’m hooked. You guys are great together.

So sad to hear about PSX this year but it makes total sense. PlayStation is always killing it and so are you guys!

Arn_1 said:

September 29th, 7:41 am

Sony closes the frying pan lid so the food safely cooks. Good move. However, I really want to know the remaining titles for the PS Classic soon. I think fighters (Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mk Trilogy, Tekken 3) are well suited because they aged well. I also want some more RPGs. If this is done properly, the PS Classic will become a true classic throwback.

jbumi said:

September 29th, 7:52 am

I really enjoyed last year’s more intimate Experience, but completely understand the reasoning behind skipping it this year. Here’s to what was a great gaming year in 2018, & looking forward to an equally good 2019!!

ecesar said:

September 29th, 8:27 am

PSX should be an community event, not a place for corporate announcements. Sony does not have anything new to announce and no game to show? That’s OK, next E3 is for that. Make the Experience an event for the players, not for the industry.

Warped said:

September 30th, 8:41 am

Yeah I think if they had a PSX and were just open about it and maybe even not have a showcase/conference and just let everyone know it would have been fine. Part of the fun is walking around playing games and the atmosphere. I’ve gone to every PSX and can’t wait for it to come back!

BlueBl1zzard said:

September 30th, 10:28 am

Always nice hearing from Shawn; I appreciate the transparency about the thought process that goes into making these decisions that shape the company. I can understand why Sony wouldn’t hold a PSX this year, and I think some people may not realize that setting up an event like that is a tremendous effort that takes so much effort planning and coordination. Though the absence of PSX this year is kinda leading me to throw on my speculation cap and predict that something big may be coming in the relatively near future ;)

SUPERNINTENDOsnk said:

October 1st, 9:22 am

It is crazy when you look back and think about it, this podcast has been around since before the PS4 launched and Sid is the only one left that’s been around since the first episode. Justin jumped on pretty early but not at the very very beginning. In the time this podcast has been going I have moved twice, saw my brother get married, experienced the launch of the PS Vita, the PS4 and the PS VR as well as the PS4 Pro and I’ve seen 5 cast members come and go.

At first 307 episodes doesn’t seem like a lot but if you take away weeks for holidays and conventions you guys do approximately 45 episodes a year so that boils down to having done this for about 5.9 years now. Having been listening since the beginning of the show that makes me feel old and I’m only 31.