PS4-The Order

PlayStation <3 Canada: You’re Invited, Toronto!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on May 01, 2012 // Sr. Social Media Manager

PlayStation Hearts Canada

While listening to PlayStation Blogcast in the weeks following GDC, I made a sudden realization: There are a lot of Canadian indie developers working on PlayStation titles right now.

D7J_1907_AR

With that realization, the PlayStation.Blog staff began planning a trip to Toronto to meet with Drinkbox Games (Tales From Space: About a Blob), Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), ][ Games (Dyad) and other indies working on PS3 and PS Vita games. Our friends at Sony Computer Entertainment Canada suggested that we invite the media and, well, we thought it only fair to include our Canadian fans in on the fun. That means you!

So here’s the formal invitation: Please join us next Tuesday for our “PlayStation <3 Canada” meetup in Toronto. You’ll get first crack at playing Canadian-born PlayStation titles such as the stereophonic side-scroller Sound Shapes (PS Vita), glorious 8-bit homage Retro City Rampage (PS3 + PS Vita), the brain-meltingly beautiful Dyad (PS3), and more that will be revealed at the event. We’ll have refreshing beverages on hand and maybe, just maybe, a musical act. Best of all, you can leave the Loonies, Toonies, hockey dollars and maple money in your wallet - this event is completely free.

Here are the details:

Facebook invite
When: Tuesday, May 8th from 530-8pm
Where: Camp Oochigeas Downtown [464 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S6]
What: hands-on gameplay with unreleased games
Admission: $0.00 (that’s $0.00 Canadian)

D7J_0914_AR

Our last Canadian meet-up was a rousing success, so we’re looking forward to meeting you again, for the first time.

Oh, and one final suggestion: Bring your PS Vita and a copy of Mortal Kombat. Sid will be in attendance and he’s got a taste for sweet, sweet Canadian blood. Will you be the one to stop him?

+ pureluck13 on May 1st, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

Montreal>Toronto

+ regentpark on May 1st, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

OMG OMG !!! I AM SOO GOING TO BE THERE! LETS HAVE MORE PS EVENTS IN CANADA!! oh and first! :P

+ regentpark on May 1st, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

No mr first poster. Toronto has wayy more events than montreal =)

+ yazter on May 1st, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

I live in Ottawa but HELL YEAH I’LL BE THERE! <3

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 1st, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Awesome! thanks for driving.

+ KillaCams-10 on May 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Hey Jeff, Sid, and PS Blog crew. As a fellow Canadian, thank you and the team for coming up here, I know its pretty far from where you guys live, and hopefully I can make it to the event. Everybody is starting to see the amazing studios and talented people we have working on games, and because of that exposure, the indie scene has a chance to shine, and it really is. Alot of games come out of Canada, but even more gamers, so we appreciate Playstation Canada and their efforts to bring content and North American exclusives to Cananda. You have plenty of friends up north, and thanks for coming out, its great weather this time of year, hope to see you guys at the event, love the blogcast, take care PS Blog crew.

With all the amazing games at this event, with mostly unconfirmed release dates, might we get some info on release dates at the event?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 1st, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Thanks for saying so. We’re definitely looking forward to the trip.

There may actually be some indie game announcements at this thing, so stay tuned!

+ pureluck13 on May 1st, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

@2 Im not saying montreal has more events, I’m basically saying montreal is the better city and should be having the event, toronto might be the biggest city in canada but its a snorefest. Montreal is where it’s at.

+ hush404 on May 1st, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

GHOST NAPPA! wooo!

+ Berae on May 1st, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Get your French together and come to Montreal

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 1st, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

I’m coming up there to visit some friends this weekend. Tres bien?

+ Thwip on May 1st, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

If the recent Fan Expo and Canadian Video Game awards are any indication, Vancouver would show up in force to support a PlayStation Meetup (as would I). Have fun in Toronto, go to Montreal, and by all means, come to Vancouver, or Edmonton/Calgary, or Halifax, etc. Just do more of these in Canada.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 1st, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

I <3 Vancouver and would move there in a second. The main reason we had this in Toronto is because that’s where so many of these developers live. If we didn’t have it there, we might not be able to hold the event at all.

+ Zezzler on May 1st, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

Awesome! Glad to see the Canadian love. I’m really excited to try out a bunch of these great indie games! Especially sound shapes, and RCR! I’ll be there for sure!

+ luvtoseek on May 1st, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

I live in New York City & I love Montreal & Toronto. Both are amazing places w/ very friendly citizens. I’ve been there many times & often imagine buying a vacation home/apartment there. Love the people, love the sites, love the food. For anyone visiting, have a great time! And a big thank you to any PS3 Canadian devs!!

+ TUSTIN1 on May 1st, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

So PlayStation <3 Canada, eh (pun definitely intended)?

If that's the case, why are Canadians excluded from almost all contests/giveaways/competitions here on the North American blog (I'm looking at you currently, GT Academy)?

+ Silver_Ulvian502 on May 1st, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Hey sony, nice to see ya doing more in canada, but i have a questions. Considering i spent over 300 on my PS Vita, why are we getting so few Vita games? Where’s our Vita games? Where is the north american versions of the expansive library of japanese Vita games? Where is the PSone Classics compatibility? Why are there so few crossplay games? Why is there only 44 games listed on the store website? in which 5 are TBD, 17 or more are just ports that (for the most part) don’t connect with the ps3 counterparts, a couple i’m sure are web games you can play for free on the internet. I don’t want to be that guy who is a nag about this stuff but seriously, i feel that i need to be that guy because a lot of people are rather pissed off, for lack of a better term, at the selection of games we have been given. Why are you punishing your customers this way? Don’t you think we deserve a better selection of games considering we spent so much on your new system? I’m starting to consider switching to Nintendo and Xbox because i feel somewhat betrayed by your company when you show all these amazing features befor the release and then give so few of them. Were you trying to make your customer’s feel like they waisted their money on the Vita?

+ Arjmand on May 1st, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

FINALLY! Toronto getting some love from the Playstation crew. Can’t wait for this. Sid…you better be ready to face Kano

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 1st, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Bring your MK Vita- we will take on all challengers.

+ Elvick_ on May 1st, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

Why you no go anywhere else?

+ boomstickbhg on May 1st, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

While I personally have no way to get to that event (I only live about an hour away but the timing isn’t good for me), I do appreciate very much the fact that you’re doing a Canadian event. After watching so many events and promotions (such as everything Subway does) be only for the US, it’s nice to see some love for us north of the border.

Good job, keep it up.

+ WastelandDan on May 1st, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Big cities…making the small town gut feel left out since the dawn of civilization!!

Damn you big cities!!!

L0L

+ lisatsunami on May 1st, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

Hey, Jeff, is that you in the pink shirt?

+ Kchow23 on May 1st, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

@Jeff There are more devs in Vancouver than Toronto… United Front Games, Rockstar Vancouver, EA Canada, Capcom Vancouver, Next Level Games, Radical Entertainment, Slant Six Games, Hothead Games, Klei Entertainment and MANY indie developers.

+ ChiefThundrlungs on May 1st, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

ya Montreal is where it’s at if you dont mind being in a crowd of a bunch of greasy Quebecer students protesting about the rising cost of poutines at their school cafeterias meanwhile every other province pays twice as much as the average greasy frog for the poutine

+ cookiemonster525 on May 1st, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

This is awesome. I’ll definitely be making it to the event.

+ Kchow23 on May 1st, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

While there are quite a few indies that have made PS Vita games in Toronto… I think it makes it easier to set up there because I am quite certain that PlayStation Canada’s HQ is there also and that is quite fine. I hope it is a great event and that all attendants have an awesome time… beating Sid in MK. :)

+ Berae on May 1st, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

@20 ChiefThundrlungs

hmm just shut up dude…

+ Zeer0id on May 1st, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

Sounds amazing, guys! I missed the last event in Toronto a few months ago, so I’ll try my best to make it to this one. =)

+ krae_man on May 1st, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Rats, timing doesn’t work for me. I’d have to bag off work like 3 hours early and that’s just not possible :( Oh well, Guess I’ll have to wait for PAX Prime.

+ Street_Killaz on May 1st, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Sick i will be there!

+ fadi002 on May 1st, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

Yay! I loved the last one! I will be there!

+ evildude683 on May 1st, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

@20 So you guys also have free loader liberals?
What a shame, aren’t they multiplying like roaches?

+ BLASTOISES_LAZER on May 1st, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

So anyone can go to this? It isn’t JUST for developers and publishers and such? Anyone from anywhere can go to this, and it’s free???

+ GGCAN on May 1st, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Bring you warm jacket Jeff…stll a bit cool here.

March was really warm…but it cooled off.

Thanks for recognizing the Playstation community in Canada !

+ jonesoda on May 1st, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

I’m Down in Vancouver, Most deffinately gonna fly up to toronto for one of these meetups someday though.

+ peace2223 on May 1st, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

Awesome, sadly i cant get there at the moment but will you guys ever host an event somewhere is the Arizona area?

+ Harshevik on May 1st, 2012 at 3:39 pm said:

Jeff, weren’t you saying that Canada was in Europe? i am confused now…

+ Superstone on May 1st, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

Go Leafs Go!!!!

+ Permafry_42 on May 1st, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:

@9 reply

There is plenty of developers in Vancouver!

+ Untitled_Folder on May 1st, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

Too bad it’s not happening on the weekend! Have fun guys!

+ ionicbluebird on May 2nd, 2012 at 2:44 am said:

Please come to Vancouver one of these years… I will personally start up a Playstation exclusive indie game development studio (or three) just to get you guys over here!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Martin Brouard on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

Frima will be there too with a brand new PSMOVE Party game! Lights, Camera, Party!

and maybe some interesting announcements too :-)

+ holoband on May 2nd, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

Booh I missed this, I was out of town anyway :(

+ Sephiroth_FF on May 3rd, 2012 at 7:16 pm said:

Cool!!! Hope they use the event to announce the release date for the PS VIta 3g for Canada. Cause it’s the only reason I am still waiting to get a Vita even though all the games are so great and tempting!!

+ Kovaelin on May 6th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

Do you know how big Canada is? Toronto is only one city, you know?