PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Blogcast 025: The Last of Us Explore the Future of Oddworld

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on May 17, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

With Jeff and Rey in L.A. for pre-E3 activities, and Nick still wandering his ancestral homelands in Africa, I preside over today’s somewhat more intimate show. Luckily, I roped in PSN Sr. Community Manager Matthew Harper to share his eye-opening Origin Story, which provides some helpful tips for those of you who have wondered how to break into game development.

We kick off with a late-breaking interview featuring Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley from Naughty Dog, the creative director and game director of upcoming PS3 survival epic The Last of Us. If you’ve wondered how the game will play compared to UNCHARTED, or how Naughty Dog is handling the game’s decidedly mature themes, today’s shows will provide the answers you need.

Then we shift gears for a detailed discussion with Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning and Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray. The pair provide insight into the upcoming PS Vita version of Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath HD, discuss how PSN’s indie-minded model has reinvigorated the seminal series, and lay out their plans for world domination.

And as always, we reveal next week’s PSN game lineup, share a selection of new user questions and tips, and provide a head-scratching new Mystery Theme.

Stuff We Talked About

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanJeff Rubenstein

Matthew HarperOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Matthew Harper – Sr. Community Manager, PSN
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game
    details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating
    descriptions.]

PAGE 1 2

+ iBOCK_ on May 17th, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

Wonderful! Gonna listen right now.

+ IM_RICK_GRIMES on May 17th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

i thought Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was coming to PSN on tuesday as well?

+ StinkyMoney5 on May 17th, 2012 at 5:57 pm said:

When is Retro City Rampage coming out!?!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 17th, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

No date yet, but look for new video soon on the Blog!

+ Ejsponge61 on May 17th, 2012 at 5:58 pm said:

I love this podcast. Keep it up! Also, BEYOND! :D

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 17th, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

Thank you, and I’ll give Greg Miller a hug for you.

We always hug.

+ Wolokowoh on May 17th, 2012 at 5:58 pm said:

I’m about to listen. I saw a Just Add Water dev tweet @yosp the other day about meeting up so let’s hope that means the Vita version of the Oddbox is close to completion

+ Justinchi on May 17th, 2012 at 6:04 pm said:

What’s up with the statement, “Nick still wandering the primordial plains of Africa…?” Sounds very ignorant and disrespectful.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:41 pm said:

Sorry, it was an ignorant American joke and maybe it just comes off as ignorant. I’ll delete

+ shaniyousaf on May 17th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

I have only one question where is (EiGHT DAYS) PS3 exclusive it was annonced in 2006?
    THANKS….

+ DZORMAGEN on May 17th, 2012 at 6:11 pm said:

So happy I can finally play the games Jeff Rubenstein and his wife have worked so hard on! I can play Minis on my Vita now!! ;)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 17th, 2012 at 8:59 pm said:

Finally, my legacy is complete!

+ LilWayneSuckz on May 17th, 2012 at 6:16 pm said:

Yes! Moar podcasts! And please tell me that that you made “Stranger’s Wrath HD” your PSN gem of the week, $15 for a full retail game is great

+ LilWayneSuckz on May 17th, 2012 at 6:17 pm said:

@7 That game was cancelled…

+ vanwinkle on May 17th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

Excited to hear about the Oddworld stuff! Stranger’s Wrath for PSN was an absolutely brilliant remake.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on May 17th, 2012 at 6:59 pm said:

“At-lee-air Ma-ru?”

What’s important is that you weren’t afraid to try.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on May 17th, 2012 at 8:59 pm said:

Comment of the week. This is what happens when I’m not there to do the pronouncin’.

+ Mattsta001 on May 17th, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

Speaking of Minis on Vita, what is the update on Velocity? It’s 93 on Metacritic at the moment but can’t be played on Vita in the US. Unbelievable! This is exactly the sort of pick up and play game that perfectly complements the Vita and should be used to push the system.

Happy to hear The Unfinished Swan is coming to PSN this year. Hope to see more indie announcements soon. Ibb and Obb, Dyad, Retro/Grade, Machinarium? There should be one or two good exclusive indie games coming out every month. Where are they?

+ CaliDro213 on May 17th, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

This is the earliest i have come in order to download a podcast.
    ROBUST!!!!

+ massimodo on May 17th, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

I’ll be blunt, I don’t believe for a second that the second wave of psp and mini titles is coming next week. If that’s the case, why didn’t they announce it two days ago. They could’ve easily stated coming next week, here are the games and avoided much of the justified criticism heaped on them. Don’t even know what to say anymore, sony’s communication skills are awesomely BAD.

+ Falaut on May 17th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

Where is Pure Chess for PSV? It had a release date of 22nd for NA. Its already out in the EU.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:45 pm said:

No word yet, but this one should be coming soon

+ Gnordy on May 17th, 2012 at 7:45 pm said:

@15 Two days ago in a blog post they posted that additional minis and PSP games would be coming soon. They even listed the games. Today they are giving the actual day. I am sure they are giving us the information when it is available, if they would have been able to confirm the actual date two days ago, they probably would have.

So basically from your criticism, they did everything you wanted except give you an exact date.

+ BahamuttZero on May 17th, 2012 at 8:03 pm said:

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on psn tuesday?

+ massimodo on May 17th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

Gnordy, I’ll believe it when I see it. Atm, I don’t believe it. I don’t believe a single thing coming out of this blog anymore. One hand doesn’t seem to know what the other hand is doing. They’re like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Gee, did we say rayman origins was going to be $15?! PJM deluxe on the vita? Say what? On the 15th? Here, we’ll look into that for you, wink, wink.

+ PainOfSarrow on May 17th, 2012 at 8:53 pm said:

sooo… what exactly is blogcast about ?

+ dallscowboys88 on May 17th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

is the song from one of the gran turismo games?

+ TwinDad on May 17th, 2012 at 9:54 pm said:

I just starting playing catch up on this. I’m at #11 and climbing fast. I really like the what are we playing portion of the show. All the talk about Heavy Rain made me finally want to get it out of my backlog. I do want to however disagree with your “Move is the only way to play the game” opinion. The only part of it that move makes easier is the text selection only because it makes it stop dancing around the way it does for the controller. Moving the character around is painful.

Maybe my mistake was playing La Noire first. But I think the controls need work, but the story is wonderful.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:55 pm said:

Glad you’re liking the show (and Heavy Rain!)

+ avdavidw on May 17th, 2012 at 10:18 pm said:

All I can say about next weeks PSN update is PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY

+ GroovyJooky on May 17th, 2012 at 10:32 pm said:

love it.

+ cjmc18 on May 17th, 2012 at 10:41 pm said:

seems ilogical to do it here but o well… BEYOND!! keep up the good work guys! I LISTEN TO 2 PODCAST now! i have been listening to this one since day 1 and will not stop listening to it :D

+ Kchow23 on May 17th, 2012 at 10:44 pm said:

Good episode but it needed some more Jeff and Rey…. Sid was having too much fun having the podcast almost all to himself! ;)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:55 pm said:

I AGREE

+ Sevyne on May 17th, 2012 at 11:11 pm said:

Really excited about the work being done with the Oddworld series. Picked up Stranger’s Wrath HD the day it hit, plan on getting it for Vita as well, and have all of the PS1 Classics. Can’t wait for the rest especially Munch’s Oddesey which is my all time favorite of the series. I really loved that game and can’t wait to play it again in it’s HD glory.

Also FINALLY Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock is coming!

+ massimodo on May 17th, 2012 at 11:24 pm said:

Dr. Who the eternity clock, is coming to the vita June 13th. They did not mention that, so if you’re interested in the vita version, that’s the date.

I’m a bit bummed that so little work has been done on stranger’s wrath for the vita. They’ve only been working on it for five weeks according to the blogcast. What gives? They’re adding 3d and move functionality to the ps3 version. The vita, more and more is like the red-headed stepchild. Ignored and cast off to the side. I’m not double dipping on stranger’s wrath. I buy it on the vita or I don’t buy it.

What is it going to take for companies to start taking the vita seriously?

+ massimodo on May 17th, 2012 at 11:50 pm said:

Well, finally some good news for the vita, Sly Cooper 4 Thieves in Time will be getting a vita version day and date with the ps3 version of the game this fall featuring cross save functionality. This needs to become standard for sony. About effin time.

+ etur0 on May 17th, 2012 at 11:52 pm said:

I believe the guy from Wisconsin that tested the game for them was Glenn from psnation.org because he talked about it on their podcast

btw I have been listen since they very first episode you guys are doing a great job the only thing that I can request is to make show longer

+ camiwaits_us on May 18th, 2012 at 12:32 am said:

Guys, please hurry and make the Mini Velocity PS Vita compatible on the US.

+ massimodo on May 18th, 2012 at 12:56 am said:

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:45 pm said:
    We did reveal that more are on the way earlier this week, here’s the post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/15/more-psp-titles-and-minis-coming-to-ps-vita-starting-today/

Don’t play me for a fool, sid, absolutely no mention that the rest would be coming may 22nd and there’s a 7 page thread of comments in that posting with not one single word from the ps blog team that that would be the case. We’re not stupid. Two days later and mysteriously, out of nowhere the coming soon games are out on may 22nd. Only two options here, either you’re misinformed or sony doesn’t have a clue how to communicate to its customer base. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you guys don’t know how to run a business. It’s like I’m communicating with a bunch of kids running their first business venture. I’m not your buddy, I’m not your fellow gamer, I’m a consumer wanting some reliable info. Is that too much to ask?

+ massimodo on May 18th, 2012 at 1:07 am said:

Once again, my comments are being moderated. Why don’t you just ban me, if you’re going to censor me. Dissenting opinions not allowed in our happy playstation universe, is that the gist. I still have yet to receive an answer regarding the pjm deluxe vita fiasco. Any takers on that one, anyone? Hmm?

+ topgun901 on May 18th, 2012 at 1:23 am said:

I Apluad NAUGHTY DOG,for thier trying too bring us a different experience through gameplay interaction and what would i do senerios,SILENCEcan be ERRIE,dont get me wrong i love all styles of game play and epic titles that stay within thier comfort zones,karate chops,throwing spears,falling cubes to gun games,im in. thank you to playstation blog and every one involved with this prodution. looking forward to next time.

+ Akibara12 on May 18th, 2012 at 1:25 am said:

I’m not teasing or anything but Matthew you sound just like Solid Snake XD (made my day). Anyways….. I was wondering what are you guys anticipating from E3 this year? And thank you for inviting Sna… I mean Matthew Harper because I loved hearing his origin story which would help people like me in my future career.

+ MPlyler512 on May 18th, 2012 at 2:06 am said:

I was wondering if you knew what kind of social media monitoring technology that Sony uses on the PSN side of their business. I had played with Radian 6 in school and was just interested.

+ Elvick_ on May 18th, 2012 at 5:41 am said:

Oddworld… we need some Oddworld something in PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale. Anyhoo…

I love Oddworld, and can’t wait for Stranger’s Wrath on PS Vita, Munch’s Odyssey HD and Abe’s Oddyssey HD. <3 And I can't wait for whatever the series is doing in the future.

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on May 18th, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

who needs faceboock, eh?

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on May 18th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

*facebook

also disappointed the latest Last of us Trailer is still not on PSN :(

+ dallscowboys88 on May 18th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

@massmodo, your kinda starting to get annoying. why dont you just get off the blog for a day, and figure something out for us vita owners, not to complain.

+ Newcloud on May 18th, 2012 at 8:44 am said:

The Oddworld Strangers Wrath control ideas sound horrible using the back touch for melee is a terrible move

+ blakseed on May 18th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

Loved the Lorne Lanning and Stewart Gilray interview. Lorne is an awesome guy and I haven’t heard honesty like that in a while.

+ massimodo on May 18th, 2012 at 2:33 pm said:

Hey, buddy, I’ve been bugging this blog for an ignore poster function for a while. You got a problem, take it up with them, not me.

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 18th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

Great episode guys. I really liked the strangers wrath portion of the show. Very interesting and great group of guys. I wanna checkout that game and download it now. Gonna have to give it a shot and show these guys some support. Keep up the good work blogcast team. I <3 listening to the blogcast and look forward to it every week.

+ Slikk on May 18th, 2012 at 10:26 pm said:

Love the Abe section! There are many games I’d love to play and it would be perfect if they were available for the Vita. I’m definitely getting Stranger’s Wrath on Vita once available! Obviously can’t wait for Last Of Us.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on May 19th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

+ PainOfSarrow

It’s basically a “Podcast”, just on a Blog. “Blogcast”.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on May 19th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

+ PainOfSarrow

Just listen to it and you’ll get the idea of what it’s about.

+ GT_168 on May 19th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

Aright Matthew Harper. Your description of Community Manager really resonated with me. It reminds me of my experience as a student org leader. It sounds like a fun job, if you are the right kind of person. Which I am, I love that stuff. I’m redirecting my career path and origin stories like yours are really helpful for someone like me who is having difficulty blending a social science within a down economy.

Any advice on resume builders the gaming industry is looking for? I’d assume running/moderating a blog and writing game reviews? I’m currently fishing out an internship under a communications manager, but why stop at just that? I’m sure others here are as interested in breaking into the industry as me, so I’ll just have to beat them to it.

+ Nates4Christ on May 19th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

I see that you guys are coming to pensacola fl is going to be at deluna which I looked up is a concert. How am I going to find you guys? Do I have to pay for admission to the concert or can I just go straight to you guys? I don’t know where or who to ask this so if someone would help me find out where I would be very grateful. I would like to start making plans now.

+ ACE420PATRIOT on May 19th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

nothing on this to commet but , please sony band cheaters by playstation if they had to waste 300 bucks everytime they get caught they mit be less cheaters , game SOCOM confrontation all games really . youtube has most of it posted . youtube should tell you when they post so u can get the ones who are hacking you . well heres two from about 7:30 pm here ( Fastyy , l-zpsychotlc-l ) they was laughing at sony saying easy cheat and sony dont care . i done believe that . well thanks ACE

PAGE 1 2