PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

May 17

May 17

PlayStation Blogcast 025: The Last of Us Explore the Future of Oddworld

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Subscription Links:

With Jeff and Rey in L.A. for pre-E3 activities, and Nick still wandering his ancestral homelands in Africa, I preside over today’s somewhat more intimate show. Luckily, I roped in PSN Sr. Community Manager Matthew Harper to share his eye-opening Origin Story, which provides some helpful tips for those of you who have wondered how to break into game development.

We kick off with a late-breaking interview featuring Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley from Naughty Dog, the creative director and game director of upcoming PS3 survival epic The Last of Us. If you’ve wondered how the game will play compared to UNCHARTED, or how Naughty Dog is handling the game’s decidedly mature themes, today’s shows will provide the answers you need.

Then we shift gears for a detailed discussion with Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning and Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray. The pair provide insight into the upcoming PS Vita version of Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath HD, discuss how PSN’s indie-minded model has reinvigorated the seminal series, and lay out their plans for world domination.

And as always, we reveal next week’s PSN game lineup, share a selection of new user questions and tips, and provide a head-scratching new Mystery Theme.

Stuff We Talked About

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanJeff Rubenstein

Matthew HarperOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Matthew Harper – Sr. Community Manager, PSN
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game
    details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating
    descriptions.]

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

iBOCK_ said:

May 17th, 5:51 pm

Wonderful! Gonna listen right now.

IM_RICK_GRIMES said:

May 17th, 5:54 pm

i thought Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was coming to PSN on tuesday as well?

StinkyMoney5 said:

May 17th, 5:57 pm

When is Retro City Rampage coming out!?!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

May 17th, 8:58 pm

No date yet, but look for new video soon on the Blog!

Ejsponge61 said:

May 17th, 5:58 pm

I love this podcast. Keep it up! Also, BEYOND! :D

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

May 17th, 8:58 pm

Thank you, and I’ll give Greg Miller a hug for you.

We always hug.

Wolokowoh said:

May 17th, 5:58 pm

I’m about to listen. I saw a Just Add Water dev tweet @yosp the other day about meeting up so let’s hope that means the Vita version of the Oddbox is close to completion

Justinchi said:

May 17th, 6:04 pm

What’s up with the statement, “Nick still wandering the primordial plains of Africa…?” Sounds very ignorant and disrespectful.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

May 17th, 11:41 pm

Sorry, it was an ignorant American joke and maybe it just comes off as ignorant. I’ll delete

shaniyousaf said:

May 17th, 6:05 pm

I have only one question where is (EiGHT DAYS) PS3 exclusive it was annonced in 2006?
    THANKS….

DZORMAGEN said:

May 17th, 6:11 pm

So happy I can finally play the games Jeff Rubenstein and his wife have worked so hard on! I can play Minis on my Vita now!! ;)

LilWayneSuckz said:

May 17th, 6:16 pm

Yes! Moar podcasts! And please tell me that that you made “Stranger’s Wrath HD” your PSN gem of the week, $15 for a full retail game is great

LilWayneSuckz said:

May 17th, 6:17 pm

@7 That game was cancelled…

vanwinkle said:

May 17th, 6:18 pm

Excited to hear about the Oddworld stuff! Stranger’s Wrath for PSN was an absolutely brilliant remake.

Dragonslayer_023 said:

May 17th, 6:59 pm

“At-lee-air Ma-ru?”

What’s important is that you weren’t afraid to try.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

May 17th, 8:59 pm

Comment of the week. This is what happens when I’m not there to do the pronouncin’.

Mattsta001 said:

May 17th, 7:09 pm

Speaking of Minis on Vita, what is the update on Velocity? It’s 93 on Metacritic at the moment but can’t be played on Vita in the US. Unbelievable! This is exactly the sort of pick up and play game that perfectly complements the Vita and should be used to push the system.

Happy to hear The Unfinished Swan is coming to PSN this year. Hope to see more indie announcements soon. Ibb and Obb, Dyad, Retro/Grade, Machinarium? There should be one or two good exclusive indie games coming out every month. Where are they?

CaliDro213 said:

May 17th, 7:19 pm

This is the earliest i have come in order to download a podcast.
    ROBUST!!!!

massimodo said:

May 17th, 7:30 pm

I’ll be blunt, I don’t believe for a second that the second wave of psp and mini titles is coming next week. If that’s the case, why didn’t they announce it two days ago. They could’ve easily stated coming next week, here are the games and avoided much of the justified criticism heaped on them. Don’t even know what to say anymore, sony’s communication skills are awesomely BAD.

Falaut said:

May 17th, 7:43 pm

Where is Pure Chess for PSV? It had a release date of 22nd for NA. Its already out in the EU.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

May 17th, 11:45 pm

No word yet, but this one should be coming soon

Gnordy said:

May 17th, 7:45 pm

@15 Two days ago in a blog post they posted that additional minis and PSP games would be coming soon. They even listed the games. Today they are giving the actual day. I am sure they are giving us the information when it is available, if they would have been able to confirm the actual date two days ago, they probably would have.

So basically from your criticism, they did everything you wanted except give you an exact date.

BahamuttZero said:

May 17th, 8:03 pm

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on psn tuesday?

massimodo said:

May 17th, 8:11 pm

Gnordy, I’ll believe it when I see it. Atm, I don’t believe it. I don’t believe a single thing coming out of this blog anymore. One hand doesn’t seem to know what the other hand is doing. They’re like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Gee, did we say rayman origins was going to be $15?! PJM deluxe on the vita? Say what? On the 15th? Here, we’ll look into that for you, wink, wink.

PainOfSarrow said:

May 17th, 8:53 pm

sooo… what exactly is blogcast about ?

dallscowboys88 said:

May 17th, 9:30 pm

is the song from one of the gran turismo games?

TwinDad said:

May 17th, 9:54 pm

I just starting playing catch up on this. I’m at #11 and climbing fast. I really like the what are we playing portion of the show. All the talk about Heavy Rain made me finally want to get it out of my backlog. I do want to however disagree with your “Move is the only way to play the game” opinion. The only part of it that move makes easier is the text selection only because it makes it stop dancing around the way it does for the controller. Moving the character around is painful.

Maybe my mistake was playing La Noire first. But I think the controls need work, but the story is wonderful.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

May 17th, 11:55 pm

Glad you’re liking the show (and Heavy Rain!)

avdavidw said:

May 17th, 10:18 pm

All I can say about next weeks PSN update is PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY

GroovyJooky said:

May 17th, 10:32 pm

love it.

cjmc18 said:

May 17th, 10:41 pm

seems ilogical to do it here but o well… BEYOND!! keep up the good work guys! I LISTEN TO 2 PODCAST now! i have been listening to this one since day 1 and will not stop listening to it :D

Kchow23 said:

May 17th, 10:44 pm

Good episode but it needed some more Jeff and Rey…. Sid was having too much fun having the podcast almost all to himself! ;)

Sevyne said:

May 17th, 11:11 pm

Really excited about the work being done with the Oddworld series. Picked up Stranger’s Wrath HD the day it hit, plan on getting it for Vita as well, and have all of the PS1 Classics. Can’t wait for the rest especially Munch’s Oddesey which is my all time favorite of the series. I really loved that game and can’t wait to play it again in it’s HD glory.

Also FINALLY Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock is coming!

massimodo said:

May 17th, 11:24 pm

Dr. Who the eternity clock, is coming to the vita June 13th. They did not mention that, so if you’re interested in the vita version, that’s the date.

I’m a bit bummed that so little work has been done on stranger’s wrath for the vita. They’ve only been working on it for five weeks according to the blogcast. What gives? They’re adding 3d and move functionality to the ps3 version. The vita, more and more is like the red-headed stepchild. Ignored and cast off to the side. I’m not double dipping on stranger’s wrath. I buy it on the vita or I don’t buy it.

What is it going to take for companies to start taking the vita seriously?

massimodo said:

May 17th, 11:50 pm

Well, finally some good news for the vita, Sly Cooper 4 Thieves in Time will be getting a vita version day and date with the ps3 version of the game this fall featuring cross save functionality. This needs to become standard for sony. About effin time.

etur0 said:

May 17th, 11:52 pm

I believe the guy from Wisconsin that tested the game for them was Glenn from psnation.org because he talked about it on their podcast

btw I have been listen since they very first episode you guys are doing a great job the only thing that I can request is to make show longer

camiwaits_us said:

May 18th, 12:32 am

Guys, please hurry and make the Mini Velocity PS Vita compatible on the US.

massimodo said:

May 18th, 12:56 am

+ Sid Shuman on May 17th, 2012 at 11:45 pm said:
    We did reveal that more are on the way earlier this week, here’s the post: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/15/more-psp-titles-and-minis-coming-to-ps-vita-starting-today/

Don’t play me for a fool, sid, absolutely no mention that the rest would be coming may 22nd and there’s a 7 page thread of comments in that posting with not one single word from the ps blog team that that would be the case. We’re not stupid. Two days later and mysteriously, out of nowhere the coming soon games are out on may 22nd. Only two options here, either you’re misinformed or sony doesn’t have a clue how to communicate to its customer base. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you guys don’t know how to run a business. It’s like I’m communicating with a bunch of kids running their first business venture. I’m not your buddy, I’m not your fellow gamer, I’m a consumer wanting some reliable info. Is that too much to ask?

massimodo said:

May 18th, 1:07 am

Once again, my comments are being moderated. Why don’t you just ban me, if you’re going to censor me. Dissenting opinions not allowed in our happy playstation universe, is that the gist. I still have yet to receive an answer regarding the pjm deluxe vita fiasco. Any takers on that one, anyone? Hmm?

topgun901 said:

May 18th, 1:23 am

I Apluad NAUGHTY DOG,for thier trying too bring us a different experience through gameplay interaction and what would i do senerios,SILENCEcan be ERRIE,dont get me wrong i love all styles of game play and epic titles that stay within thier comfort zones,karate chops,throwing spears,falling cubes to gun games,im in. thank you to playstation blog and every one involved with this prodution. looking forward to next time.

Akibara12 said:

May 18th, 1:25 am

I’m not teasing or anything but Matthew you sound just like Solid Snake XD (made my day). Anyways….. I was wondering what are you guys anticipating from E3 this year? And thank you for inviting Sna… I mean Matthew Harper because I loved hearing his origin story which would help people like me in my future career.

MPlyler512 said:

May 18th, 2:06 am

I was wondering if you knew what kind of social media monitoring technology that Sony uses on the PSN side of their business. I had played with Radian 6 in school and was just interested.

Elvick_ said:

May 18th, 5:41 am

Oddworld… we need some Oddworld something in PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale. Anyhoo…

I love Oddworld, and can’t wait for Stranger’s Wrath on PS Vita, Munch’s Odyssey HD and Abe’s Oddyssey HD. <3 And I can't wait for whatever the series is doing in the future.

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

May 18th, 7:44 am

who needs faceboock, eh?

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

May 18th, 7:48 am

*facebook

also disappointed the latest Last of us Trailer is still not on PSN :(

dallscowboys88 said:

May 18th, 8:31 am

@massmodo, your kinda starting to get annoying. why dont you just get off the blog for a day, and figure something out for us vita owners, not to complain.

Newcloud said:

May 18th, 8:44 am

The Oddworld Strangers Wrath control ideas sound horrible using the back touch for melee is a terrible move

blakseed said:

May 18th, 1:59 pm

Loved the Lorne Lanning and Stewart Gilray interview. Lorne is an awesome guy and I haven’t heard honesty like that in a while.

massimodo said:

May 18th, 2:33 pm

Hey, buddy, I’ve been bugging this blog for an ignore poster function for a while. You got a problem, take it up with them, not me.

Airwalkinman17 said:

May 18th, 3:51 pm

Great episode guys. I really liked the strangers wrath portion of the show. Very interesting and great group of guys. I wanna checkout that game and download it now. Gonna have to give it a shot and show these guys some support. Keep up the good work blogcast team. I <3 listening to the blogcast and look forward to it every week.

Slikk said:

May 18th, 10:26 pm

Love the Abe section! There are many games I’d love to play and it would be perfect if they were available for the Vita. I’m definitely getting Stranger’s Wrath on Vita once available! Obviously can’t wait for Last Of Us.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

May 19th, 8:48 am

+ PainOfSarrow

It’s basically a “Podcast”, just on a Blog. “Blogcast”.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

May 19th, 8:49 am

+ PainOfSarrow

Just listen to it and you’ll get the idea of what it’s about.

GT_168 said:

May 19th, 11:00 am

Aright Matthew Harper. Your description of Community Manager really resonated with me. It reminds me of my experience as a student org leader. It sounds like a fun job, if you are the right kind of person. Which I am, I love that stuff. I’m redirecting my career path and origin stories like yours are really helpful for someone like me who is having difficulty blending a social science within a down economy.

Any advice on resume builders the gaming industry is looking for? I’d assume running/moderating a blog and writing game reviews? I’m currently fishing out an internship under a communications manager, but why stop at just that? I’m sure others here are as interested in breaking into the industry as me, so I’ll just have to beat them to it.

Nates4Christ said:

May 19th, 11:16 am

I see that you guys are coming to pensacola fl is going to be at deluna which I looked up is a concert. How am I going to find you guys? Do I have to pay for admission to the concert or can I just go straight to you guys? I don’t know where or who to ask this so if someone would help me find out where I would be very grateful. I would like to start making plans now.

ACE420PATRIOT said:

May 19th, 5:13 pm

nothing on this to commet but , please sony band cheaters by playstation if they had to waste 300 bucks everytime they get caught they mit be less cheaters , game SOCOM confrontation all games really . youtube has most of it posted . youtube should tell you when they post so u can get the ones who are hacking you . well heres two from about 7:30 pm here ( Fastyy , l-zpsychotlc-l ) they was laughing at sony saying easy cheat and sony dont care . i done believe that . well thanks ACE

PAGE 1 2