PS4 - Destiny

This Week in PlayStation

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Jan 11, 2014 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

CES 2014 is in the books, PlayStation Now has been officially unveiled, and it’s back to business as usual in Videogame Land.

Don’t Starve is out now on PS4, and accomplishing the task proposed by its title has proven more difficult than anticipated. If you tuned in to one of our two livestreams of the game this week (hint, hint), you saw us struggling to build fires, gather supplies, and eat flower petals to stay alive in an unforgiving wilderness. I think we could use a few tips.

Ryan, being the lucky devil he is, got to play both Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. Thankfully, he’s a generous devil and he’s published his impressions from both right here on PlayStation.Blog. I never got to Tomb Raider on PS3 myself, so Lara’s next-gen debut can’t come soon enough.

But we’ve got a couple weeks until Tomb Raider comes to PS4. Until then, I think I’ll dive back into Assassin’s Creed IV and destroy some of Sid’s scores in The Pinball Arcade a bit more soundly. What are you playing this weekend?

• I’m playing: Don’t Starve, The Pinball Arcade
  • I’m watching: Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive
  • I’m listening to: The Bird and the Bee, Janelle Monáe (thanks Ryan!)

This Week’s Top 10 Posts

Most-Watched Video of the Week

+ PanTheMan16 on January 11th, 2014 at 5:46 pm said:

Justin, pleeeease bring back the What We’re Reading posts! I know you said you retired it because you had to spend hours scouring the web for those links, and reallly it’s something us readers can do ourselves anyway, but it was one of my most highly anticipated weekly updates. It’s also clear that I’m not the only one who loved those. The PS Blog needs awesome updates like that. And let’s face it, getting paid to read game news and reviews is better than virtually any other jobs us readers have. lol
So, please bring it back? Maybe every 2 weeks instead of every week? I’ll be your best friend.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on January 12th, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

Thanks for the feedback man. They’re time-consuming to put together, but I know a few of you guys really enjoyed that section. I can’t promise anything, but your voices are heard.

+ naDOOFUS on January 11th, 2014 at 6:05 pm said:

Obviously I’ve been playing Don’t Starve, love that remote play. Klei nailed it; they even went so far as to remapped the L and R buttons for PS vita ease.

+ ColonelOCorn on January 11th, 2014 at 6:23 pm said:

SOOOOO grateful you guys mentioned how to pull up the map. I was trying to find landmarks on my own. Have you watched the guy on Twitch who is approaching 70 days? I thought making it to 6 was a big deal.. The guy has a crock pot, drying racks, etc.. I’m wondering when he’ll put in an airport and have a standing army…

SUCH a fun game. Enjoying it and definitely can’t beat the price. Thanks again guys!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on January 12th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

70 days?! And I thought surviving a couple weeks was impressive…

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on January 11th, 2014 at 6:39 pm said:

I’m playing: Nothing at the moment.

I’m watching: A YouTube video by xFactor playing BF4.

I’m listening to: Samantha James – Waves of Change (Kaskade Remix)

+ viceforce on January 11th, 2014 at 7:44 pm said:

I’m Playing: Defiance, Dragon Fantasy Book II (Just Platinum’d), Don’t Starve and Killzone Shadow Fall)

I’m Watching: My self typing this post.

I’m Listening: to myself type and the sound of crackers munching in my mouth.

+ nanaki85 on January 11th, 2014 at 8:13 pm said:

Been playing Don’t Starve quite a bit, I just found out you can dig up berry bushes, grass and saplings to put near your base (mind blown) as long as you have fertilizer to keep up with it. I would suggest making a few Dry Racks and hunt rabbits, birds, and some Beefalo for Jerky meat and make rabbit earmuffs and beefalo hat, create a Heat Stone, and always carry grass, twigs, and wood, to survive Winter, also DON’T pick every carrot and flower you see, it will help in Winter especially flowers…

During the 1st Spring and Summer you should make a crock pot, an Ice box and a birdcage, and some improved farm plots, get a bird trap and capture a bird, put it in birdcage and give it Dragonfruit for a chance to get more dragon seeds, so you can make Dragonpie’s (1 Dragonfruit + 3 twigs = Dragonpie +45 HP + 75 Hunger)
it’s really important to have an Icebox before Winter, the best place to get gears is at the marble temple, where the ‘Wood Thing’ is located, have the giant clockwork guardian in the middle ram the Horse Knight and get his gears…Then make a jerky farm for Winter.

cont.

+ nanaki85 on January 11th, 2014 at 8:13 pm said:

Another good food source is to make a bee farm and collect monster meat from spiders (2 Honey + 2 Monster Meat = Honey Ham +30 HP + 75 Hunger… You can also just give your captured bird cooked monster meat for a quick egg. But I found Beef Jerky to really help me out as they also restore sanity.
Well this is getting quite a bit long and it’s not even scratching the surface of this game! so I’ll just post a helpful link to some crock pot recipes! “..um..that is..if..it’s okay.. :3 ”

+ Void_Incarnate on January 11th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

I’m playing: Cytus Lambda (Vita), Kentucky Route 0 (PC), Valdis Story: Abyssal City (PC)
I’m watching: Kyoukai no Kanata, Bounen no X’amdou (rewatching), Sherlock (BBC)
I’m listening to: Cytus soundtracks
I’m reading: The Dragons of Babel (just finished), The Iron Dragon’s Daughter (in progress), The Battle for God (about to start)

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on January 12th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

How do you like Cytus? One of my old rhythm game friends plays it a lot and keeps recommending I check it out.

+ GioRage on January 12th, 2014 at 6:35 am said:

Hey Justin, How are ya? This weekend has been a funny weekend. I played a strange assortment of games from my collection. Friday I played Lego Marvel Superheroes (awesome game BTW). Saturday ended up being Zombie Day in my home because I played The Walking Dead (Telltale Games) Dead Island and Resident Evil 6. Its Sunday now and still early, though I can already feel a platformer day coming on strong. I woke up, looked over at my game shelf, grabbed Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time (I need to get the new one) and headed downstairs to make a coffee. I live in eastern Canada and we’ve been crushed with massive rainfall and strong winds. Nothing to do but cuddle up with a good game and keep dry and warm!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on January 12th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

Good luck with that weather! How do you make your coffee? I got some really fancy brewing equipment for Christmas, so I’ve been having a lot of fun learning the ins and outs of that.

+ Ezio6387 on January 12th, 2014 at 7:09 am said:

I’m playing GTA V
I’m listening to: Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 soundtrack The Titan
I’m reading the Lost Hero

+ deadendblues on January 12th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Playing p3p and don’t starve
Listening to the germs (janaelle monae is a great choice)
Watching nfl playoffs

I’m listening to: Less Than Jake – See The Light

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on January 12th, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

Playing: Dont starve , FIFA14
Watching : Regular Show, Diablo vids on Youtube/Twitch
Listening to : Vibe by B smyth
Reading: Diablo books
Waiting on : Diablo 3(PS4)

+ DarkElemental94 on January 12th, 2014 at 2:08 pm said:

I’m Playing: Diablo 3

+ ytterbiumanalyst on January 12th, 2014 at 5:36 pm said:

I’m playing Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien on PS3 and Dragon Fantasy Book II on Vita
Watching The Supersizers Go… on the Hulu Plus app on my PS3.
Listening to The King Is Dead by the Decemberists

+ Void_Incarnate on January 12th, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

@ Justin Massongill on January 12th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

>How do you like Cytus?

It”s my favorite game.

I think it’s a love-it-or-leave it thing. If you like JPOP, techno and eurobeat, you will probably love Cytus, even if you weren’t a big rhythm game player (I certainly wasn’t before). The art, music, and the just-right difficulty scaling together make a whole that transcends the sum of its parts.

The good news is that PSMobile has a free demo (I believe it includes Chapter 0), so there’s noup-front cost to check it out.

The bad news (for PSN) is that it’s cheaper on Android and iOS, but since I don’t have an Android or iOS device, I was willing to pay the higher price to get to play it. And the PSMobile version has a bonus chapter, Chapter S, included.

Check it out, Justin, I think you might find it worthwhile.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on January 13th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

Nice! I’m a big rhythm game fan, so I’ll give it a go. :)

Did you play DJ Max Technika Tune? I still go back to that one pretty regularly.

+ rehando99 on January 12th, 2014 at 11:10 pm said:

I’m playing BF4, FIFA 14 and Don’t Starve.

I’m listening to Tomb Raider soundtrack (awesome classic ps1 game btw! :D). That main theme though at the main
menu is just one of the best main themes of all time! You should check it out Justin, it’ll rock your day ;)

I’m re-watching Breaking Bad.

I’m currently reading this blog :D

WAITING FOR WATCH DOGS! Can’t believe they’ve postponed it :(

+ Statik19 on January 13th, 2014 at 5:24 am said:

I’m Playing: Spelunky , Final Fantasy 7 (PS3 & Vita)

I’m Watching: The Wolverine, The Walking Dead (Netflix).

I’m Listening To: The Melvins, Buck Owens (Music Unlimited).