Final Fantasy XV

Jun 15

Jun 15

Media Player Coming to PS4 Tonight

Scott McCarthy's Avatar Posted by Director, Product Planning & Software Innovation, SCEA

Hello PlayStation Nation! Every time we announce new features for PS4 here on PlayStation.Blog, I love going into the comments to answer your questions and see feedback on which features people really like and which ones people still want to see. One of those questions I have been able to count on has been, “Where is our PS4 media player?”

If you were watching our E3 press conference pre-show, you probably heard the good news – Media Player for the PS4 will be available to download from PlayStation Store this evening. A Media Player icon will appear in the PS4 content area, simply select the icon and you will be taken to the PS Store where you can begin the download.

Media Player Coming to PS4

The Media Player works with both your home server and when plugging a USB stick with media into one of the available ports on the PS4. Your home server will appear as a media option in the player automatically and finding your media is simple and quick. You may also simply enjoy music as background music on your PS4!

Of course, we know what you really want to see: look below to see supported video and audio file formats and codec details.

Media Player Coming to PS4Media Player Coming to PS4

File Formats and Codecs

Video

MKV

• Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
  • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

AVI

• Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
  • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

MP4

• Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
  • Audio: AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

MPEG-2 TS

• Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
  • Audio: MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
  • AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

Photo

• JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
  • BMP
  • PNG

Music

• MP3
  • AAC (M4A)

Media Player Coming to PS4

We know the Media Player has been a highly-requested feature for PS4 and we want to thank you for passionate feedback. I know the Media Player will be a favorite new feature for PS4 owners who love to use their PS4 as the entertainment center of their living room. What other features would you like to see come to PS4? Let us know in the comments!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 7

Debizzle said:

June 15th, 6:18 pm

Can the church say amen!!!

Supermike1975 said:

June 15th, 6:58 pm

Very happy to finally see a Media player for the PS4 :)

I am almost shocked to see that MKV support was added :)

I have a few question though.

1. Will .MKV file with DTS Audio be supported?

2. Will .WMV files be supported?

3. Will .MOV files be supported?

And when will we be able to store Music and Video files directly on the PS4 hard drive? Especially MP3’s so MLB The Show can get back the Sounds of the Show feature!!!

Please keep improving the Media Player so more and more Video files are supported!

punisher83 said:

June 15th, 8:46 pm

AMEN!!!!!

paulogy said:

June 15th, 8:47 pm

Aaaaaaaaaa-MEN!

samasake said:

June 15th, 8:52 pm

Hallelujah brother!

roobieroo said:

June 15th, 8:55 pm

Finally! If people are having problems playing back .m4v files from USB, they just need to rename it with .mp4 instead. For some reason, the media player won’t recognize .m4v video files.

wathefuc said:

AMMMMEEENNNNN

Welmosca said:

June 16th, 12:15 pm

Afu*****men!!!!!!!!!!!

PredatorSVEDKA said:

June 16th, 1:13 pm

Is anyone else still having problems playing mkv files? Its great to have the media player finally but most of my anime is in mkv format and still won’t play, all other formats play great tho.

CherieSue68 said:

June 17th, 12:09 am

HALLELUJAH!!!!

Nineyfox said:

June 17th, 7:07 am

I am having problem streaming anime in mkv format :(

ShoutaKazehaya said:

June 20th, 12:57 am

Apparently, this one only supports 8-bit formatted anime videos. Anime shows from fansub (e.g. Commie, FFF, or Chyuu) won’t play on this new media player since the vids was formatted into 10bit w/ higher profile mentioned above, mostly lvl 5. If you wanna watch anime, try downloading MP4 formatted anime w/ harcoded subs. Sadly, this player does not support subtitles.

zekececil14 said:

June 15th, 6:18 pm

This is awesome!!!!!! but I still want to put media directly onto my HDD.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 6:31 pm

With so little space on the drive why would you want to use it? You can setup a home server and use your PC if I read the above correctly.

KBG29 said:

June 15th, 6:37 pm

I strongly second this. It is going to be extreamly nice to finally be able to view all of my videos, and photos on PS4, but beings that I only use PlayStation devices, having the ability to download or transfer directly to to the PS4 is major. I edit all of my Action Cam and Video I shoot on the Vita with PlayMemories Studios, but it would be much nicer to be able to do it through the much more powerful Share Factory App.

Thanks for this, it is a big step forwards, but please don’t let it end here.

zekececil14 said:

June 15th, 6:41 pm

I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4, so I do not have a problem with putting it on there.

jmonty09 said:

June 15th, 7:41 pm

+KazeEternal
    3 letters… WWE…. we don’t have custom soundtrack support and that’s important.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:16 pm

@Zekececil. I have a 2TB drive as well in my PS4. It’s almost full and I’m already uninstalling games and installing them. Games are just going to get bigger.

@jmonty09
    WWE? No idea what that is, something tells me it is hardly relevant to the situation. Also we do have custom soundtracks.

Jlhflex said:

June 17th, 3:51 am

Nah the space is already so limited now. I have to regularly go in and clean out my ps4 hdd. That’s the only downside I have against the PS4.

Erixsan said:

June 15th, 6:19 pm

Nice new feature, but kinda the wrong time to announce it lol

nextleveltaken said:

June 15th, 6:23 pm

Another nail in the PS3’s coffin. ;)

gohan16ken said:

June 15th, 6:23 pm

Thank you for this. Here are some request…

1. 2 step verification for PSN
2. Ability to add a recovery/secondary email and number
3. A pin code for PSN login and purchase
4. Plug and play for external HDD on PS3 and PS4
5. Ability to individually backup games on an external HDD from a PS3 and PS4. I keep having to backup my entire HDD when I download a new game to my PS3.
6. Free up the 10% PS3 OS. 105GB of my 1TB HDD in my PS3 is reserved. That is unnecessary. You have a 12GB PS3. Please only reserve like 5GB.
7. PS3 emulator for the PS4 or change PS Now to allow me to access previously digitally purchased games at no additional cost
8. Link Ultraviolet to PS Video
9. Make PS Now like iTunes and PS Video not like Netflix or Redbox

Thanks.

Erixsan said:

June 15th, 6:24 pm

A better PS Store for the Vita would be awesome.

jmonty09 said:

June 15th, 7:41 pm

HELL NO I am tired of that crap on the 360….

CipherMnemonic said:

June 15th, 7:50 pm

External hard drives for when I run out of space with 500 GB (though the library feature makes it easier to manage space than on ps3), and PS Now needs to allow streaming of previously purchased content (either digitally purchased or by inserting the original game disc.). Microsoft just killed the PS Now revenue model, and rightly so. Also, since Move controllers are supposedly ps4 compatible, let’s make the Ps3 remote control work for the ps4 too… And one last thing… We should be able to completely turn off the light bar on the controller to save battery life.

MrBrightside1189 said:

June 15th, 8:32 pm

You can view UltraViolet movies through Vudu.

Fuhr31 said:

June 15th, 8:53 pm

VUDU is only available in the US. Also, movies purchased from PS are not Ultraviolet compatible so they are not viewable when and where you want.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:18 pm

I second the two step verification process. I’d love it of the PlayStation App could be apart of that.

External hard drive option would be nice for those that want it or at the least allow us to back up individual games.

Backward Compatibility in General would be a dream of dreams.

wathefuc said:

June 15th, 11:52 pm

I totally agree. We Need those things.

gohan16ken said:

June 16th, 2:35 am

@ CipherMnemonic and MrBrightside1189, please stop disagreeing for the point of disagreeing. Sony is a supporter of ultraviolet. They already allow you to link ultraviolet to Sony Pictures. So, there is no reason not to allow it to be linked to PS Video. Also, what if I have purchased content on PS Video? How does linking Ultraviolet to Vudu help me with that?

jose213jose said:

June 16th, 8:51 am

Better PSN Store for PS Vita 100% IT sucks badly now, i lose connection when using the store. 2 step verification for PSN along with the following to boost security, PSone, PS2, PS3 emulator for the PS4 or change PS Now to allow us Gamers to play are games without having to paying additional cost for game we ready own on are PSN Accounts ready. Make sure both are download games work and disc games with it, no cutting the corners now. Plug and play for external HDD on PS4 where we can play games off it, do custom External HDD case to hold are own HDD we can buy on are on and make sure its using the USB ports in the front or back.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 6:29 pm

THANK YOU!

Rich2Nice176 said:

June 15th, 6:36 pm

The chat party on ps4 should have more friend then 8 players if u playing a
Madden league or a NBA 2k online leagues you need more then a 8 people party chat
They shout make it until a 16 party chat come on Sony!!!

MarcPotvinRoy said:

June 15th, 6:43 pm

Please add H.265 to the list please. 4K is just around the corner !

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:19 pm

oh wow thats a good suggestion.

D-snake1 said:

June 15th, 9:20 pm

The console doesn’t have HDMI 2.0 so adding the coding for 4k wouldn’t make a difference.

The_Codefinder said:

June 15th, 6:43 pm

Yes! Thank you!

darkedgex said:

June 15th, 6:45 pm

Finally, I can dust off the PS4 and use it for more than the odd game. Along the lines of media playback, can we please get:

A dedicated BT remote (or make the PS3 remote compatible with the PS4)?
H.265 support
4K resolution support

I see you added MKV support, this is awesome, but where’s the FLAC support? Please add high resolution audio support in a FLAC container (192 khz, 24-bit audio, for example). Hopefully this is the first of many updates that support media playback on the PS4!

As others have said, being able to store and play music off the internal HDD would be another major contributor to me replacing my PS3 as the media hub in my living room.

Thank you for listening! =)

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:19 pm

OMG THIS “A dedicated BT remote (or make the PS3 remote compatible with the PS4)?” x 1000

D-snake1 said:

June 15th, 9:21 pm

I believe Insignia makes a PS4 remote.

siriusbee said:

June 15th, 10:14 pm

Yeah. Not having a remote for the PS4 is one of the few things keeping me on the PS3 for watching Netflix and the like.

KerPwnt said:

June 16th, 12:56 am

This this this this! I have been waiting for either a bluetooth remote or an adapter (IR or Bluetooth) since launch! Xbox One is my go-to box for all media besides games right now ONLY because I can use my harmony remote with it. I will pay whatever you charge, just give me an option (obviously the ideal would be to just support the ecosystem of PS3 bluetooth remotes and adapters that already exists).

crossman420 said:

June 16th, 2:30 pm

I second the FLAC format request. Pleases and thank you’s.

DIABOLICPOSSUM said:

June 17th, 4:07 am

If not a bt remote, even allowing the PlayStation app to control Netflix/Hulu/Plex would be almost as good.
    Some form of remote is certainly a must have

stefer09 said:

June 15th, 6:46 pm

Yeah guys uhm don’t start asking H.265, PS4 can’t output 4K.

nextleveltaken said:

June 15th, 7:11 pm

This. ↑

MrBrightside1189 said:

June 15th, 8:27 pm

Even if the PS4 doesn’t support 4K resolution, HEVC can still provide identical compression at two-thirds the bitrate of h.264, giving you the trade-off of either smaller file sizes, or better picture quality.

KingSushi said:

June 15th, 7:03 pm

Awesome. ETA?

teawithacat said:

June 15th, 7:05 pm

Quick question, here!

Will drives still need to be formatted to FAT32, or can we finally use NTFS?

Jlhflex said:

June 17th, 3:54 am

Same thing I’m wonder bc I have a ntfs. formated stick now that’s already full of videos and it doesn’t show in the list of devices. Now I have to move everything off, reformat to exfat..

Supermike1975 said:

June 15th, 7:07 pm

When will the PS4 be getting Create Folder options?

It would be nice if we could better organize our games and apps.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:20 pm

Does it really need a folder option? We have the library. If anything an option to jump to a point in the alphabet would be better.

Boyanime010 said:

June 15th, 7:08 pm

Where is CD PLAYBACK?

Ry-Dog said:

June 15th, 7:08 pm

Media player finally arriving on the PS4, that’s great.

How about release an official Media Remote for the PS4 (the PS3 has one), because I’m getting sick and tired of using the Dualshock 4 for the Netflix and Crunchyroll apps.

Boyanime010 said:

June 15th, 7:09 pm

Where is CD PLAYBACK?..

Boyanime010 said:

June 15th, 7:10 pm

The PS3 had CD PLAYBACK Why can’t PS4 do the same?

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:23 pm

Gaming features came first. CD’s aren’t needed for games. We’ll probably get it eventually. Though why anyone needs this in 2015 is beyond me, just be patient.

siriusbee said:

June 15th, 10:16 pm

Dude, just burn your CDs to mp3s.

Vyzarin said:

June 16th, 3:09 pm

Does Sony make another device that accepts CD size discs but doesn’t play CD audio? I doubt it. The question shouldn’t be why they haven’t enabled it, but rather why they disabled it.

“Gaming features came first.” They came first on every other Sony console, too–all of which had CD playback.

Supermike1975 said:

June 15th, 7:10 pm

Can we get support for NTFS external hard drives please?

siriusbee said:

June 15th, 10:18 pm

More than NTFS specifically, it would be nice for the PS4 to be able to recognize and use multiple partitions on an HDD, rather than just the one with the MBR on it.

tomhawkUS said:

June 16th, 12:09 am

Doesn’t work for NTFS, but exFAT do. It’s better than FAT or FAT32.

Boyanime010 said:

June 15th, 7:10 pm

Will THE PS4 EVER Have CD Playback ):

Boyanime010 said:

June 15th, 7:12 pm

I Want to STORE MY MUSIC On PS4 Hard-drive not USB!!

Tchanku said:

June 15th, 7:17 pm

Huzzaah!

NYPUNK88 said:

June 15th, 7:18 pm

I love you guys so much right.

wisealma said:

June 15th, 7:18 pm

FINALLY!

#gracias

wisealma said:

June 15th, 7:19 pm

CD Playback???

chillhard said:

June 15th, 7:28 pm

Anybody else want the ability to make and install Custom themes like on the trey ?

batbugz said:

June 15th, 7:44 pm

I do! I want to make my own background.

bwhitlat said:

June 15th, 7:29 pm

Thank you Sony!

redknight4 said:

June 15th, 7:39 pm

I glad they broke down the video formats by codecs used

shadowdragon2007 said:

June 15th, 7:39 pm

When is it coming out? And if it is out now, how can I download it? Because I cannot find it anywhere.

theysayimnasty87 said:

June 15th, 8:12 pm

It’s out now! You have to search for it though. Or maybe it’s in the App section. I just searched in the PS Store for “Media” and it was the only one that showed up.

Negatype said:

June 15th, 7:49 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Especially for the mkv playback!!

KwietStorm said:

June 15th, 7:51 pm

Custom folders
Friends Online/offline notification and custom sub-group friend list sorting
*****Appear offline option*****
External HDD support for both backups and running games
Custom wallpaper
Trophy sorting
*****Auto sync trophies when acquired*****
Offline trophy list
Make pancakes and hash browns

C’mon Sony its been long enough, and the other guys get new features every single month, and now a new controller. Keep your foot on the pedal if you want to keep your lead. Don’t be complacent.

thunderbear said:

June 15th, 7:57 pm

Complacent? Don’t think you know how this works. The controller at MS’s conference was its real only high light and I am getting it for PC. MS has had to do a lot of catching up to Sony’s OS.

The things you listed are superfluous or not possible. Exampel; External HDD support for running games. There are USB speed issues for streaming games and you will get slower loading times. Backup, sure, but you can backup already your entire PS4 to an external HD so I don’t see the problem there.

Trophy sorting, Custom Wallpaper are minor features and not enough to be a hater over.

Kenny_PSN said:

June 15th, 7:53 pm

No MKV with DTS support?

Senjutsu_Dav said:

June 15th, 8:17 pm

Yes MKV, I just tested it.

Dinglestains said:

June 15th, 8:58 pm

Was this a yes for DTS audio codec support within MKV files? Not sure why they wouldn’t support DTS since the console can output and decode DTS for other sources.

thunderbear said:

June 15th, 7:53 pm

They said this evening so it could mean in a minute or another few hours.

Thank you Sony for adding this!! I’m very happy. Great that we can use the Media Player to play music in the background of our games.

The press conference was one of the best I’ve seen in years. Really inspirational!

dizeeStL said:

June 15th, 7:55 pm

this is good news, now give us backwards compatibility.

CherieSue68 said:

June 17th, 12:36 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US BC!!!!!!! IT’S ALL I REALLY WANT!!!!!

vex123456789 said:

June 15th, 7:58 pm

Backwards compatibility

Ravenous74 said:

June 15th, 8:01 pm

Very nice, thank you! :-)

Blkant said:

June 15th, 8:03 pm

Can you guys make the background of the menu icon transparent like the USB music player, What’ New icon, “TV & Video” icon etc… Small stupid complaint I understand, but its just an odd annoying inconsistency. :P

Please? :)

willynews said:

June 15th, 8:03 pm

I want to use my CD’s and play my old PS3 games without PS NOW subscriptions plus rip music into PS4

Y6Y1Y9 said:

June 16th, 3:13 pm

“and play my old PS3 games without PS NOW subscriptions”

Unfortunately i don’t think that one will ever happen. They’ve already invested too much money into the PS Now service to just drop it.

bataille said:

June 15th, 8:05 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I’m still mad that this BASIC feature is 18 months late with absolutely NO legitimate excuse or rationale from Sony.

But thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Killa-B187 said:

June 15th, 8:07 pm

Finally a step in the right direction but we need to be able to save the files to our hard drives. Many sports games used files directly off our HDDs as custom in-game music. This doesn’t work by just playing them separately as background music on a media player. We need the game to decide when to use the files and when to close them. Especially WWE games, it’s sad that we can’t give our created characters their correct entrance music anymore, even though we could for years on the last generation. That decision took away a lot of creative control from that series.

jmonty09 said:

June 15th, 8:14 pm

IE WWEGAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yet still not giving us what we want but it is a step in the right direction

lnoguchi said:

June 15th, 8:07 pm

Does it support .srt files for subtitle or some kind of subtitle??? to watch movie with sub.

RhonnyK said:

June 16th, 4:22 am

I want to know that too. Devs, blog managers, there’s any word on subtitles?

Jaysius said:

June 15th, 8:07 pm

Is it crippled by cinavia? If it is than this is a useless non announcement. Are there plans to add FLAC playback support??

Aegamin said:

June 15th, 10:06 pm

That’s my concern and a main reason I switched to streaming on my 360 from the PS3. I’m testing it now on a movie and so far so good! Finger’s crossed! Also…MKV support? What, what! I’m just a little excited here lol.

awb555 said:

June 17th, 11:53 am

My only worry as-well!
    I see it says “MKV” but non of my MKV files show up.

ThePowerofX said:

June 15th, 8:10 pm

Hey Scott. Please allow us to stream our gameplay to YouTube, via the new gaming channel.

perrandy said:

June 15th, 8:11 pm

simply awesome,i’m using this now and its working flawlessly.thank you

jmonty09 said:

June 15th, 8:13 pm

it never showed up for me

Senjutsu_Dav said:

June 15th, 8:16 pm

Just tested it, plays MKVs, MP4, AC3, etc PERFECTLY FINE!!

Man, I am impressed. I gave up on that feature. I’ll be able to let plex (on browser) on the side to start enjoying SUPER QUALITY STREAM by DLNA!

^_^

THANKS!

R2tito11 said:

June 15th, 9:19 pm

is it already on the store?? can’t find it =(

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:24 pm

It is go to the store and go to the apps section.

awb555 said:

June 17th, 12:37 pm

My MKV files wont show up.
    How did you get them to work?

rezo360 said:

June 15th, 8:17 pm

its nice that the ps4 is getting better. i would love to earn and view my trophies offline as well. Offline trophies Sony, Thank you.

KazeEternal said:

June 15th, 9:25 pm

second this also. Good recommendation.

againes said:

June 15th, 8:19 pm

Like really sony? Wheres the wallpaper function for the pictures? This is what i really been waiting for. No one wants to buy those crappy themes in the store. I want to customize my home screen.

rezo360 said:

June 15th, 8:20 pm

Another idea would be to allow us to download different gaming podcast, giantbomb, outlaw gamer society, and so on.

nikgrid said:

June 15th, 8:25 pm

That is great about Media Player….BUT….We NEED External storage! I was very disappointed not to have that announced at E3?
Any idea if we are getting external storage on ps4 Or should I just buy an Xbone? I love PS but c’mon I’m running out of space!

RhonnyK said:

June 16th, 4:24 am

Just change your internal HDD, its not that much cost. Also, external HDD would be slow.

ClinToN said:

June 15th, 8:26 pm

I’m just catching all the news late and I’m reading MKV…and literally said out loud, ” WOW”

Delta_0157 said:

June 15th, 10:16 pm

Skype would be a nice addition to the PS4 console :D

skiernan said:

June 20th, 3:11 am

Skype on the PS4 is unlikely because Microsoft bought it a few years ago.

Yet on the other hand, Sony was nice enough to release their Crackle app on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

PAGE 1 2 3 7